OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

31 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

Thanks, i dont know how I lost that black mask, maybe due to openXR 0.5. It seems that 0.6 does not cause this issue of the disappearing mask.

EDIT: It was caused by MSAA OFF ( XD )

Never thought this would affekt the VR mask in such a way

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

I have a mere GTX 1060 6GB,I tried this novelty.... and I think I'm sticking with it.
On the paper the settings I can use are the same of SteamVR (40/45% resolution,I run my G2 at 60Hz reprojection forced on) So I'm actually running at 30 fps.

The artifact of motion reprojection especially on external views are much more disturbing than with steamVr but the clarity of the rendered world is so much more beautiful ,solid and readable, and flying from the cockpit everything is definitely much smoother, probably thanks to the higher level of motion reprojection I can access. Dunno, but once I fiddled a bit with the settings, I like it a lot.

4 hours ago, DeltaMike said:

I don't see how any of this could help in MP.    We are trying to figure out how many pixels we can render, basically.  As defined by physical pixels in the headset, resolution settings, PD, even some forms of anti-aliasing.  In MP people are typically bottlenecked by RAM or CPU before they map the first pixel.  

Sure, except I benchmarked a track file offline. With the Steam VR I could measure framteimes in the baseline and the Cpu was all green from fpsVR.

Am I supposed to see an improvement in frames, I felt from the OP I should? I can say I saw less peaks when I drew out the graph. Has anyone in this thread done before and after benchmarks?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

17 minutes ago, Sr. said:

So long story short, you've smoothed it out just by displaying the fps counter from the overlay?

I would think that installing the OpenXR toolkit has somehow smoothed things out. The only thing I did with it was to show the fps counter but the big change was running DCS with it loaded for the first time. I wouldn't wish to speculate what exactly has changed by running it, I was hoping someone far more knowledgeable than me might!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

For me there is no difference in FPS. I also dont see how DCS should render faster in theory, just because theres a different output attached. I think a lot comes down to different frame rate counting methods and averaging.

But the tracking seems to have less latency with openXR which appears smoother to me.

1 minute ago, Baldrick33 said:

I would think that installing the OpenXR toolkit has somehow smoothed things out. The only thing I did with it was to show the fps counter but the big change was running DCS with it loaded for the first time. I wouldn't wish to speculate what exactly has changed by running it, I was hoping someone far more knowledgeable than me might!

Did you leave it running? Because that could be the point. I was able to get the same result as you when I installed openXR toolkit. After some hours later, I fired up my PC again and it didn't work anymore. Maybe there is some process running in the background with OXR toolkit opened that is needed for smooth reprojection. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

1 minute ago, exil said:

Did you leave it running? Because that could be the point. I was able to get the same result as you when I installed openXR toolkit. After some hours later, I fired up my PC again and it didn't work anymore. Maybe there is some process running in the background with OXR toolkit opened that is needed for smooth reprojection. 

I just restarted my PC and ran DCS and the OXR toolkit FPS counter was still displayed. I think you have to disable it in the settings to stop it from running

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

11 minutes ago, Pikey said:

Sure, except I benchmarked a track file offline. With the Steam VR I could measure framteimes in the baseline and the Cpu was all green from fpsVR.

Am I supposed to see an improvement in frames, I felt from the OP I should? I can say I saw less peaks when I drew out the graph. Has anyone in this thread done before and after benchmarks?

I'm not getting better FPS but - and that's the main thing - the spikes and peaks are gone. Consider it this way: with steamVR I was getting frametimes around 13ms and a spike every second now and then over 22ms. Therefore it would stutter. With OXR I didn't get those spikes, so i was able to run a higher resolution close to 22ms without the spikes. 

1 minute ago, Baldrick33 said:

I just restarted my PC and ran DCS and the OXR toolkit FPS counter was still displayed. I think you have to disable it in the settings to stop it from running

No, I think I miscommunicated here. I mean the desktop overlay of OXR toolkit where you can set your keybindings for the overlay in game. I think I left it open when it worked the first time. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

with my 9900k, 2070 super and G2

now the game is really enjoyable. i only installed oxr and not the toolkit.

1-image clarity is much better

2-game is way more smooth (reprojection auto)

3-with last update no more black screen on startup.

4-loading screen are not flashing my Eyes anymore.

i have not benchmark anyyhing or whatever but for sure everything is better now.

thanks a lot nikoel. dcs looks like a New game now.

and i feel having a New computer 😁 as dcs runs so smooth.

• Like 1

One thing I did notice is the screenshot @edmussshowed the app was entitled OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality whereas as mine says OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality.

I had rather forgotten I first tried OpenXR as part of the Insider program for MSFS. I wonder if there was some legacy that magically got fixed, the runtimes were just the same

5 minutes ago, exil said:

No, I think I miscommunicated here. I mean the desktop overlay of OXR toolkit where you can set your keybindings for the overlay in game. I think I left it open when it worked the first time. 

No I didn't have the desktop overlay running the second time (after I restarted)

Edited by Baldrick33

2 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

One thing I did notice is the screenshot @edmussshowed the app was entitled OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality whereas as mine says OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality.

I had rather forgotten I first tried OpenXR as part of the Insider program for MSFS. I wonder if there was some legacy that magically got fixed, the runtimes were just the same

No I didn't have the desktop overlay running the second time (after I restarted)

Copied! Thanks! 

10 minutes ago, winghunter said:

For me there is no difference in FPS. I also dont see how DCS should render faster in theory, just because theres a different output attached. I think a lot comes down to different frame rate counting methods and averaging.

But the tracking seems to have less latency with openXR which appears smoother to me.

The key thing for me is that 30fps is the new 45fps 🙂 I can't tell when it switches to 30fps which opens up the opportunity for adding some eye candy. I almost can't believe 30fps is enough, I now get why people raved over this with MSFS, I just haven't been able to get OpenXR to work nicely at any fps until this evening. So thanks to all in this thread for making me persevere!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lefuneste01 said:

Hello,

I created an experimental version of my mod compatible with this OpenXR feature :

There is a new option to remove the AH64 flashing rotor blade...

Great work man. I can confirm it works great with OpenXR.  The default sharpening is a bit high, but I got it dialed in.
I love having back the ability to clear the haze. I didn't see a difference with the rotor off option with repro off.

going to try with full repro now.

Blades still there with motion repro set to Always On.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

I still have "wobble" with this, when MR is enabled. Hornet ready on the ramp, Caucasus tops of their trees and the hangars. No mods.

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

While framerate with 100% SVR is roughly the same as 100% openXR, I get a noticable difference with lower settings:

SteamVR 80%: 45 fps - perceieved very smooth

OpenXR DevTools 80%: 20 fps - perceived stuttery

Since my system isnt good enough to maintain 30fps at 100%, this results in an overall worse experience than with SteamVR. Not sure how that comes to be on my 3070, but somehow scaling render res in openXR doesnt have the same performance benefit

Edited by winghunter

46 minutes ago, Pikey said:

Working on it. Suspect frames doesn't tell the whole story.  Or even most of the story.  I didnt even bother to post frames in my last benchmark and I'll bet you see more of that.  Even render times are technically irrelevant here, since the action is taking place beyond the point where we can measure

Thanks for the MP benchmarks.  Important and highly relevant work. 

My feeling is, undersampling hurts spotting distance. Possible this mod  will give someone a competitive edge in MP if it allows them to run at native resolution with a high res hmd.  Considering there are only four GPUs on the market that can drive a G2 at native resolution in svr, that's big news. One of the major contributors is rocking a 3070.  This is a game changer even if FPS doesn't improve a bit

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Ok, I think I have my setup nailed...and holy crap it's amazing.

OXRTK I'm running 100% with repro Always On. I may be crazy but, it seems though going into the overlay screen and toggling on/off the fps lock causes the repro to stabalize.

I have the counter showing a very steady 45fps with flying low, turning etc over Caucuses in the FA-18.  I'm not seeing the slight stutters I have seen.

I am also launching DCS from within the AMD software adrenaline edition with Radeon Anti-Lag enabled.

Any other RX 6900X GPU users try these?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

38 minutes ago, Tony86 said:

with my 9900k, 2070 super and G2

now the game is really enjoyable. i only installed oxr and not the toolkit.

1-image clarity is much better

2-game is way more smooth (reprojection auto)

3-with last update no more black screen on startup.

4-loading screen are not flashing my Eyes anymore.

i have not benchmark anyyhing or whatever but for sure everything is better now.

thanks a lot nikoel. dcs looks like a New game now.

and i feel having a New computer 😁 as dcs runs so smooth.

You gotta go full Monty!  🙂

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I'm not very good with the error codes as I've had very few, I'm sure someone else will know in here or ask on the discord 🙂

Have you picked up the latest version of OXR toolkit?

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

4 minutes ago, DarksydeRob said:

Anyone had this issue ?

I've repaired and  redid the files a few times already. OpenXR demo launches , unsure why DCS is failing
f00aa54954fffa1b2a22a9904ca61901.png

I had a -13 last night (not sure if the rest of the error message you have matches mine) I had to rename an old lingering d3d11.dll to *.bak, and I still had vrperfkit.yml in my directory, once I fiddled/removed those it seemed to go ahead.  I also hadn't performed a repair though, which I assume would get rid of that stuff automatically?

• Like 1

Wow.. Stumbled on this thread after getting a bit frustrated since the apache seemed to hit the system hard. I honestly didn't expect much but gave it a try. 

What a huge difference!!!! It's a different game for me. 6900xt all max resolution and I never seen such a clear, crisp  image running so smoothly. I never liked steamvr but didn't realise it was screwing so much up. I only did a quick sp and quick mp test so need to tweak and test more tomorrow but so far all default it's waaaayy exceeded my expectations. 

3 minutes ago, oakdown said:

I had a -13 last night (not sure if the rest of the error message you have matches mine) I had to rename an old lingering d3d11.dll to *.bak, and I still had vrperfkit.yml in my directory, once I fiddled/removed those it seemed to go ahead.  I also hadn't performed a repair though, which I assume would get rid of that stuff automatically?

Yep this was it , it was a conflict with that other VR mod lingering in the background.

cheers

• Like 2