OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

2 hours ago, nikoel said:

Hey TED a quick question. I saw you participated in the Apache VR Slideshow Bug thread. Are the findings [posts] with OpenXR or SteamVR?

Whilst the performance is smooth for me I was shocked to see 30FPS and on the ground at Syria 18FPS before picking back up to 45 once in the hover/forward flight 

I suspect we are cpu limited but wanted to see if you had success with other settings?

This was very much with steamvr. 

I just started testing with openxr and so far both sp and mp it's a significant improvement for me. 

I need to do more tests and I can still see it has some hiccups but overall vastly better now svr is gone so it was probably eating up some cpu processing. 

I won't say the problem is gone at all, but it's much better and now playable at decent settings. I still maintain we are massively handicapped by single core and no amount of wizardry can make that core work for everything dcs is now asking of it. 

• Thanks 1

hace 1 hora, exil dijo:

Did you try the stuff with WMR4SVR mentioned a few pages ago? That did the trick for me and besides the apache, reprojection is working flawlessly, even when down to 30FPS without any difference to 45FPS. 

Yes, I have done all the tests. I have much better performance with steamvr.

39 minutes ago, pastranario3 said:

Yes, I have done all the tests. I have much better performance with steamvr.

I did some testing with AH64 / quick mission  / runway start which is loading both CPU (red in fpsVR) and GPU (orange).

After starting at 30 fps, I get stucked to 11 fps with OpenXR... I had a worse quality image but more constant fps @ 30 fps and reproj with SVR...So for the moment I'll stay on SVR.

Edited by lefuneste01

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

17 minutes ago, lefuneste01 said:

I did some testing with AH64 / quick mission  / runway start which is loading both CPU (red in fpsVR) and GPU (orange).

After starting at 30 fps, I get stucked to 11 fps with OpenXR... I had a worse quality image but more constant fps @ 30 fps and reproj with SVR...So for the moment I'll stay on SVR.

Could you try any another module (except the AH-64 and the MI-24)? I found that it's specifically the apache on my side, that is faulty when it comes to repro. All other modules were fine.

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

Jabbah, the OpenCompositeACC fork maintainer, has been very kind in working with me to introduce automated releases to my GitHub repository. Hopefully, from here on in, my GitHub repository will be scheduled automatically as and when a new GitLab release has been created.

Unless the repository has issues or something breaks, my job here is done. Enjoy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 9

2 hours ago, exil said:

the apache didn't work well with repro on steamvr either. I was seeing some good frames at the beginning but the the whole stuff decreased.

You are talking about performance, I am talking about artefacts. 

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

The advanced controls with brightness, contrast, and color saturation alone are worth running this, Holy Cow, that's the Guam I remember.  Never realized all those cars and trucks were multicolored to the degree they are, and with bright red tail lights to boot.  Who knew those cranes were painted bright yellow?  Try doing that in steamVR.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, redbeard said:

Is this meant to work with the index or not?

I would imagine the Index requires Steam VR, considering both are Valve.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

31 minutes ago, Sr. said:

I would imagine the Index requires Steam VR, considering both are Valve.

I think in theory you can make any headset work with this as long as it uses openvr (steamvr runtime) 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Just installed OpenXR Toolkit (1.0.4 - latest) in DCS by means of OpenComposite

FYI: not too clear in the tutorial, but be aware, (HP Reverb) (Mixed Reality Portal) OpenXR (Developer Tools) needs to stay on WINDOWS VR Runtime (that 'Fix it' notification if not), do NOT switch to SteamVR runtime in the SteamVR settings, F1 F2 F3 single modifier are default to DCS, use something else, or like me, check both CTRL and ALT

Oh yes,
DCS looks MARVELOUS
Thx JABBAH & @mbucchia

| VR goggles | Autopilot panel | Headtracker | TM HOTAS | G920 HOTAS | MS FFB 2 | Throttle Quadrants | 8600K | GTX 1080 | 64GB RAM| Win 10 x64 | Voicerecognition | 50" UHD TV monitor | 40" 1080p TV monitor | 2x 24" 1080p side monitors | 24" 1080p touchscreen |

On 3/23/2022 at 6:19 PM, nikoel said:

You guys have read and understand that you can simply lock 45FPS via OpenXR Toolkit and it will have the motion smoothening disabled but the frame rate cap enabled so you’re not experiencing the spikes…?!

With that feature off there is still no way of getting 60 or 70FPS. You are not seeing it. However the extra overhead does help and you will get the juiciest frame as selected by OpenXR

The frametimes will always be at 19-21ms because you’re locked at 45FPS. Then they will go to 11ms when you hit 90FPS

Please re-read my blob on performance as I have made it more blunt because some of yas reaaaaaally need to hear what I’ve said. Or you know, don’t. I’m not your mum  

Having issues locking the FPS at 45 with OXR toolkit.  Where is this in the menu?

1 hour ago, Nodak said:

The advanced controls with brightness, contrast, and color saturation alone are worth running this, Holy Cow, that's the Guam I remember.  Never realized all those cars and trucks were multicolored to the degree they are, and with bright red tail lights to boot.  Who knew those cranes were painted bright yellow?  Try doing that in steamVR.

that, and I've upped the world scale in the Apache.  Now my M-4 looks like I could actually pick it up and use it.  :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

7 minutes ago, PD919 said:

Having issues locking the FPS at 45 with OXR toolkit.  Where is this in the menu?

I don't think you can directly lock the framerate with motion reprojection disabled (unless it's a feature I've not explored yet!).

The framerate caps are only in place due to motion reprojection. With it set to unlocked then it will step from 90-45-30-22 depending on how quickly your GPU can render the frames.

If you set it to locked to a number then it will sit at that number until your GPU frametimes get too high and it won't be able to reproject, it should start stuttering then.

If you're running with reprojection on then I'd recommend leaving it unlocked so it can move down the refresh rate fractions at will. If you have reprojection off then I don't think it does anything.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

4 hours ago, majapahit said:

Just installed OpenXR Toolkit (1.0.4 - latest) in DCS by means of OpenComposite

FYI: not too clear in the tutorial, but be aware, (HP Reverb) (Mixed Reality Portal) OpenXR (Developer Tools) needs to stay on WINDOWS VR Runtime (that 'Fix it' notification if not), do NOT switch to SteamVR runtime in the SteamVR settings, F1 F2 F3 single modifier are default to DCS, use something else, or like me, check both CTRL and ALT

Oh yes,
DCS looks MARVELOUS
Thx JABBAH & @mbucchia

Do I look in the Steam VR settings Developer like so:

SVR Developer tab.jpg

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

14 hours ago, theperson said:

I'll add my experience that I'm getting the extra juddering/ghosting/double vision when moving my head while dropping below 90fps with motion reprojection disabled.

I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling steamvr, wmr, openxr, wmr4svr. I've tried what a previous posted said worked for him and set steamvr as the openxr runtime and then set it back to openxr. I've tried installing the openxr toolkit and enabled the overlay, but none has worked.

Hopefully someone finds a fix for it.

Is the steam VR portal starting up or the WMR one? The steam headset status window SHOULDN'T appear either.

5 hours ago, exil said:

Could you try any another module (except the AH-64 and the MI-24)? I found that it's specifically the apache on my side, that is faulty when it comes to repro. All other modules were fine.

I tried 5 mins with the A10CII, it was working. But I'm planning to fly the Apache, and when I play the UH1 "worlds apart " capaign I was able to fly @60 fps half of the time and 30 fps with reproj the remaining.  Not possible yet with OpenXR, so...

And by the way, image is also better because it's 3124x3064 by default.

Edited by lefuneste01

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

I think if OpenXR tools gets a mode where we can set a hard lock at 45 FPS without activating reprojection it will be better than SteamVR.  I can already see a better raw FPS than SteamVR.  Unfortunately OpenXR's motion reprojection is awful compared to SteamVR.  I want to just be able to lock in at a half FPS rather than it jumping between 45/90.

The problem is that DCS struggles to stay at 90 when it's not busy.  If you pump up the graphics to lock it at 45, it becomes a mess on a busy Supercarrier.  Being able to have to hard lock the FPS would fix this.

Getting an error:

OpenXR Call failed, aborting.

c:\users\jabbah\document\open-composite-acc\ocovr\openvr_Api.cpp:298 VR_IsHmdPresent. Error code: -13
xrCreateInstance(&createInfo, &tmp_instance)

Anyone have any ideas?  Using Odyssey Plus...

VFA-113 | Stinger 307 | "Hank"

USN OEF OIF Veteran

i7-8700K OC'd 4800ghz | Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080Ti OC'd | 32gb RAM | 2.5TB SSD | Odyssey + | TM Warthog HOTAS |

6 hours ago, ChuckJäger said:

Getting an error:

OpenXR Call failed, aborting.

c:\users\jabbah\document\open-composite-acc\ocovr\openvr_Api.cpp:298 VR_IsHmdPresent. Error code: -13
xrCreateInstance(&createInfo, &tmp_instance)

Anyone have any ideas?  Using Odyssey Plus...

Have this problem too. Just close WMR, make sure steam is not running and close all processes via task manager that correlates to OpenXR. 

Then start DCS, and then put your headset on. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

On 3/26/2022 at 8:18 AM, DarksydeRob said:

Anyone had this issue ?

I've repaired and  redid the files a few times already. OpenXR demo launches , unsure why DCS is failing
f00aa54954fffa1b2a22a9904ca61901.png

You need to have WMRP off. Start DCS and the WMRP will load automatically - no error message. Always close down WMRP before starting DCS.