OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

33 minutes ago, edmuss said:

In the right hand tab of the in headset menu there is an option for offset, adjust that until the menu lines up in the middle. I think mine is set to around -120 in my G2.

You shouldn't be getting the main display cross eyed though unless you're using an old version. Make sure that you have PD1.0 set in the VR tab in DCS, anything else will throw it out.

thanks a lot - PD 1.0 is a key !!  why we can`t make it higher? its bug?

one problem still - no mouse cursor, while in flight in cocpit..., only after esc press

brds 

Edited by epgd
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, epgd said:

one problem still - no mouse cursor, while in flight in cocpit..., only after esc press

brds 

You might need to enable vr mouse in the DCS options, I think it actually appear in two places.

Apart from the existing DCS bug about the vr mouse disappearing it should show up ok. Note that it might have zoomed off to the side and be sat out of your view, click the mouse and wiggle it whilst looking all around and you should find it.

5 minutes ago, PD919 said:

Is there any fix to the motion reprojection implementation in OpenXR.  It has a lot more artifacts than SteamVR.

What framerate are you pulling and what situation are you getting the artifacts in?

If it's helo blades or blade shadows then there's not much you can do with it. If it's significantly worse than with steamvr for the same framerates then it might be worth asking the devs on the discord about it.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

33 minutes ago, epgd said:

brds 

I've seen the no mouse pointer thing a few times. I get passed it by making sure that once you launch DCS and the first DCS loading window appears on the desktop, click it once. I think somehow another application is stealing the pointer focus.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

11 minutes ago, edmuss said:

You might need to enable vr mouse in the DCS options, I think it actually appear in two places.

Apart from the existing DCS bug about the vr mouse disappearing it should show up ok. Note that it might have zoomed off to the side and be sat out of your view, click the mouse and wiggle it whilst looking all around and you should find it.

What framerate are you pulling and what situation are you getting the artifacts in?

If it's helo blades or blade shadows then there's not much you can do with it. If it's significantly worse than with steamvr for the same framerates then it might be worth asking the devs on the discord about it.

With SteamVR MR always on there is slight artifacting in the P-51 propeller but it's mostly smooth.  In OpenXR and the same FPS the gunsight becomes a mess.  Night and day difference.

Edited by PD919

Quick one - 

I’ve been getting amazing help from @edmussin the last days tuning my rig - but we are both a bit baffled at the rather high CPU times - especially on standard maps ; 

with a ryzen 5600x , 32gb ram and rx6700xt I’m sitting around 16-19ms for CPU and 20-22 ms for GPU. 
 Any ideas what causes the drag? 

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

17 minutes ago, Thanatos31 said:

Quick one - 

I’ve been getting amazing help from @edmussin the last days tuning my rig - but we are both a bit baffled at the rather high CPU times - especially on standard maps ; 

with a ryzen 5600x , 32gb ram and rx6700xt I’m sitting around 16-19ms for CPU and 20-22 ms for GPU. 
 Any ideas what causes the drag? 

Could be other services running on your PC. Some are resource hogs. 2 off the top of my head are Corsair or any RGB control software and Alienware Command Center.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

41 minutes ago, PD919 said:

With SteamVR MR always on there is slight artifacting in the P-51 propeller but it's mostly smooth.  In OpenXR and the same FPS the gunsight becomes a mess.  Night and day difference.

There does seem to be some inconsistencies with the reprojection but I'm not sure exactly what the differences are.

I was getting a whole load of bubbles on reprojection when I shouldn't have been and somehow fixed it by setting SVR as the openxr runtime and then resetting it back to WMR. That shouldn't have changed anything and it's baffled the devs but it's gotten rid of all of the bubbles for me.

Note that I'm not currently using reprojection as I can get fast enough frames to keep stable for me.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

So, after some more testing including the fix some users like @edmuss have been posting about regarding motion reprojection (where you set SteamVR as runtime in SteamVR first before switching to purely OXR and setting it back as the runtime), I can now say that I stand corrected in seeing the performance jumps and decreased frametimes. Using the OXR Dev Tools and locking the reprojection to 45 or 30 FPS instead of it being unlocked also seemed to fix the artifacting/tearing around the edges of the displays when OXR switches the MR framerate. I also think that the OXR reprojection (when locked) looks incredibly similar to SteamVR's (Forced On) if not better because of the way it handles not being able to hit the reprojection target (ex. going down to 39 FPS from a stable 45 FPS doesn't look as jarring compared to SteamVR). Honestly, I'm very happy with the way this is implemented and regret initially dismissing the OXR fix as failed for my setup.

@nikoel, can you please add a note in the first post regarding the reprojection fix for users that have a G2 and been having issues with going from SVR Motion Smoothing to OXR Reprojection? Save them the trouble of having to scroll through nearly 20 pages.

Edited by July
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Could be other services running on your PC. Some are resource hogs. 2 off the top of my head are Corsair or any RGB control software and Alienware Command Center.

yeah - but I don't have anything of that nature really running...I just cant get to the bottom of it (RGBs are not running/ programs are off) 

Come fly with us : https://discord.gg/tawdcs  TAW CJTF 13 - EU TZ MilSim Squadron

Ryzen 5 5600X | 32GB DDR4 3733| ASUS Radeon RX 6700 XT  | ASrock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | HP Reverb G2 | Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle , F16 & F18 grips , TFRP Rudders |  Win 10

SOLVED: As mentioned below by FUNK, pixel density deeds to be at exactly 1.0 in DCS

Strange... I'm getting good results with plain OpenXR and wanted to try out the OpenXR-Toolkit but as soon as I activate it, DCS won't start anymore. Tried already some variation of starting or not starting WMRP but the result is always the same. Not even an error message in the logs?!?

Any idea?

image.png

Edited by Bowman-011
  • Like 1

i7-12700KF - 64GB DDR4@3600MHz - RTX 4090 - HP Reverb G2 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS - Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs - LG Rudder Pedals

49 minutes ago, July said:

@nikoel So, after some more testing including the fix some users like @edmuss have been posting about regarding motion reprojection (where you set SteamVR as runtime in SteamVR first before switching to purely OXR and setting it back as the runtime), I can now say that I stand corrected in seeing the performance jumps and decreased frametimes. Using the OXR Dev Tools and locking the reprojection to 45 or 30 FPS instead of it being unlocked also seemed to fix the artifacting/tearing around the edges of the displays when OXR switches the MR framerate. I also think that the OXR reprojection (when locked) looks incredibly similar to SteamVR's (Forced On) if not better because of the way it handles not being able to hit the reprojection target (ex. going down to 39 FPS from a stable 45 FPS doesn't look as jarring compared to SteamVR). Honestly, I'm very happy with the way this is implemented and regret initially dismissing the OXR fix as failed for my setup.

@nikoel, can you please add a note in the first post regarding the reprojection fix for users that have a G2 and been having issues with going from SVR Motion Smoothing to OXR Reprojection? Save them the trouble of having to scroll through nearly 20 pages.

Awesome that it's working for you properly now. Have you tried it yet with any helos (if you can) and if so how were your results?

My fix shouldn't be a fix, no rhyme or reason for it but it seems to do something...

I'm still trying to replicate my bubbly reprojection to see if a cause/fix can be established as part of OXRTK.

Agreed, having that updated to the first page as a potential fix for reprojection artifacts would be very helpful indeed.

It also saves me having to type it out over and over again 😄

41 minutes ago, Thanatos31 said:

yeah - but I don't have anything of that nature really running...I just cant get to the bottom of it (RGBs are not running/ programs are off) 

Tried PBO (from the BIOS level)?

--Arthur C Clark

54 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Awesome that it's working for you properly now. Have you tried it yet with any helos (if you can) and if so how were your results?

My fix shouldn't be a fix, no rhyme or reason for it but it seems to do something...

I'm still trying to replicate my bubbly reprojection to see if a cause/fix can be established as part of OXRTK.

Agreed, having that updated to the first page as a potential fix for reprojection artifacts would be very helpful indeed.

It also saves me having to type it out over and over again 😄

Tried flying the Apache around and yes, I am getting significant bubbling with reprojection when looking at the main rotor or (sometimes) when looking out to the side. The IHADSS symbology starts warping when looking through the rotor blades, even if I'm hitting the motion reprojection target of 45 FPS. Forcing reprojection off gets rid of the bubbling and makes it playable at the cost of ghosting and tearing. Interestingly enough, WMR4SVR seems to handle Motion Smoothing of the Apache rotor blades extremely well, with no significant bubbling at the cost of performance compared to standalone OXR. That being said, being unable to turn reprojection on/off while in game makes it so that if you don't want to play with bubbling when flying anything with rotor/props, you'd have to restart DCS to disable MR which can get annoying when switching airframes.

If you can hit 60 FPS in the Apache with standalone OXR and a G2, it may be worth it to set the display refresh rate to 60Hz instead of 90Hz.

Edited by July

Yeah I'm seeing the same sort of behaviour with the rotors, as a test I've stripped and cleaned DCS, removed open composite and disabled the OXR toolkit, with WMR4SVR reprojection the rotor blades and their shadow is artifact free in the ka50.  Reinstated OXR and enabled reprojection and it's bubbling on the rotor shadows.

I have gotten a couple of through the lens videos that show the effect so I'll ping them over to the devs and see if he can find the root of the cause 🙂

• Thanks 2

Just wanted to throw my thanks in for @nikoel  et al. for putting this thread and walkthrough together.  Absolutely incredible tool.  My framerate is slightly worse after upping my PD and settings, but the OpenXR 50%/30%/25% reprojection capability has more than made up for it.  Much, much better experience for me. 

FWIW, not getting any wobbles on the Apache rotors here. (no motion smoothing turned on either).

SOLVED: It was that I had my ingame PD set to 0.9. It needs to be set to 1.0 or you get the error I got below.

I have a HP Reverb G2. and an Oculus Quest 2 (not connected)

DCS won't run for me with OpenXR Toolkit enabled. It will if disabled in the OpenXR app though.

(Yes, I did repair and clean the DCS install)

The Error I'm getting is :

OpenXR Call Failed, aborting.
c:\Users\Jabbah\Documents\open-composite-acc\DrvOpenXR\XrBackend.cpp:712 SubmitFrames. Error code: -25
xrEndFrame_Result

I wonder if it has something to do with Oculus software being installed. 
As whenever I run DCS, with WMR or SteamVR. The Oculus software opens as well. 

Edited by FUNK

Anyone with mouse troubles I would like to double check that you’ve read the tutorial properly and applied the mouse fixes (two lines at the bottom of the .ini that I’ve attached) whether it’s yourself or by using mine instead 

I believe the one on GitHub does this automagically 

5 hours ago, Sielu said:

Just wanted to throw my thanks in for @nikoel  et al. for putting this thread and walkthrough together.  Absolutely incredible tool.  My framerate is slightly worse after upping my PD and settings, but the OpenXR 50%/30%/25% reprojection capability has more than made up for it.  Much, much better experience for me. 

FWIW, not getting any wobbles on the Apache rotors here. (no motion smoothing turned on either).

You’re welcome but all credit goes to Jabbah and Mbucchia - I’ve just done the testing alongside many others

when you say you’ve upped the PD. I hope you don’t mean the PD inside the DCS settings. It will give you bad performance and worse image  

No matter what platform you’re using no matter which headset or API’s this should *ALWAYS* be left at 1.0. You can use the per app resolution slider in SteamVR or in this case OpenXR Tools.m

7 hours ago, Bowman-011 said:

Strange... I'm getting good results with plain OpenXR and wanted to try out the OpenXR-Toolkit but as soon as I activate it, DCS won't start anymore. Tried already some variation of starting or not starting WMRP but the result is always the same. Not even an error message in the logs?!?

Any idea?

image.png

Have you tried different versions of OpenXR Toolkit. There is a specific DCS version attached to the first post. There are a couple of official ones which need the file to hack the view 

Edited by nikoel

7 hours ago, July said:

So, after some more testing including the fix some users like @edmuss have been posting about regarding motion reprojection (where you set SteamVR as runtime in SteamVR first before switching to purely OXR and setting it back as the runtime), I can now say that I stand corrected in seeing the performance jumps and decreased frametimes. Using the OXR Dev Tools and locking the reprojection to 45 or 30 FPS instead of it being unlocked also seemed to fix the artifacting/tearing around the edges of the displays when OXR switches the MR framerate. I also think that the OXR reprojection (when locked) looks incredibly similar to SteamVR's (Forced On) if not better because of the way it handles not being able to hit the reprojection target (ex. going down to 39 FPS from a stable 45 FPS doesn't look as jarring compared to SteamVR). Honestly, I'm very happy with the way this is implemented and regret initially dismissing the OXR fix as failed for my setup.

Okay. I’ll add this can you please write exactly what you’ve done or anyone who is reading this for that matter (in a tutorial kind of format) as I don’t have any experience with this and I’ll copy and paste this

P.S. Nawwww… thank you ☺️ 

Edited by nikoel

8 hours ago, Sr. said:

Tried PBO (from the BIOS level)?

PBO via ryzen master only ; I’ve updated my bios as well but can’t seem to find the PBO options there 

• nikoel changed the title to [Update 29/3 V0.6.2] OpenXR Quickstart Guide (For G2, G1 and other Headsets)
7 hours ago, Sielu said:

Also, what specs are you running mate?

I also don't run motion smoothening and have a super smooth 45FPS experience with the Apache in Syria everywhere I go

@nikoel- I have the same but then my CPU timings just go to hell. 

what’s killing me (figuratively and in Game literally) are spikes and drops in performance of CPU timings  in case my game needs to load anything- FPS drop to low doubles - but mostly just a complete blckscreen for 3-10seconds  - and is then just back to full 45fps and smoothness   

It’s so weird - and I cannot find resources to further investigate these bad CPU frames. CPU should be much stronger. 
GPU is def the linchpin overall - but I am ok with constant 45fps that seem smooth  

background processes - checked - there’s a few but non that eat up CPU power visible to task manager. Is there any other strategy to figure this out? 
mit just seems like the CPU never really goes full speed. It can though when tested via CPUZ or ryzen master test. 

thermals are in the green- pushing 65-70 max. 
ram has profile 2 x-amp enabled via bios.

9 minutes ago, Thanatos31 said:

@nikoel- I have the same but then my CPU timings just go to hell. 

what’s killing me (figuratively and in Game literally) are spikes and drops in performance of CPU timings  in case my game needs to load anything- FPS drop to low doubles - but mostly just a complete blckscreen for 3-10seconds  - and is then just back to full 45fps and smoothness   

It’s so weird - and I cannot find resources to further investigate these bad CPU frames. CPU should be much stronger. 
GPU is def the linchpin overall - but I am ok with constant 45fps that seem smooth  

background processes - checked - there’s a few but non that eat up CPU power visible to task manager. Is there any other strategy to figure this out? 
mit just seems like the CPU never really goes full speed. It can though when tested via CPUZ or ryzen master test. 

thermals are in the green- pushing 65-70 max. 
ram has profile 2 x-amp enabled via bios.

If you get black screens during play try adding this line into OpenComposite.ini 'enableLayers=false'

Then also try without OpenXR Toolkit

Also have you locked your Graphics card 100-200mhz of maximum speed it can handle?

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1