OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

vor 12 Stunden schrieb A.F.:

none of this has helped...

better said Toolkit starts but now I get this error message when I start DCS and my PC freezes

Ok, I give up in a frustrated way!

I have to be a computer nerd to get this thing to work... at least in my case!

Too bad!

Screenshot (4).png

Nobody any solution to this Error message?
Having this Error code since installing (YES) - the DCS version of the toolkit,
and YES the PD ingame is set to 1.0 and YES when disabling the toolkint in settings
everything works fine and DCS starts and runs smoothly like never before.

So now.....seems that more and more of us encounter this error message.
Really still no soluition here? I dont have any ideas left 😉
THX again btw for all your time and work!!!

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

I have installed 0.6.3 and it works fine. I disabled MR to see if my performance dips come from MR rather than openXR itself. Some mission i posted earlier was unplayable with openXR and MR, while it ran totally smooth in SteamVR.

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

6 hours ago, TED said:

I have found i absolutely don't need MR anymore. For me with svr, mr and msaa we an absolute must. Non negotiable. Now I have a better image and smoother without either on oxr.

Thats how openXR looks for me with MSAA disabled. Notice the blocky horizon colors and jagged HUD lines. It gets amplified when you twist your head, like some orchestra of shimmering and artifacts. Thats on a G2 at 100%

I dont know how folks can live without MSAA

Screen_220331_230137.png

Edited by winghunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, fastf1nger said:

and YES the PD ingame is set to 1.0 and YES when disabling the toolkint in settings

I am running Windows 11. I had the latest non-security update KB5011563 installed. After I rolled that back all is good again. Btw, I do not use the specific DCS version of the Toolkit but the regular 1.04 one. It has been suggested by the developers of OpenComposite/Toolkit that the error is related to OS update. Hope this helps any1 how runs Windows 11.

Cheers

• Like 1

Core i9 12900KF | ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 64GB DDR5 5200MHz | 3 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | MSI MAG 322CQR 32´ | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Throttle | Thrusmaster T-Pendular Rudder | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 11

50 minutes ago, winghunter said:

Thats how openXR looks for me with MSAA disabled. Notice the blocky horizon colors and jagged HUD lines. It gets amplified when you twist your head, like some orchestra of shimmering and artifacts. Thats on a G2 at 100%

I dont know how folks can live without MSAA

Screen_220331_230137.png

That's not right, this is running 75% with no MSAA.

OpenComposite_DCS_20220331_233645.png

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

so my initial observations, and the data based evidence isn't really there to fully support my position, because i can't get a good data stream other than the on screen display, but for what it is worth:

- performance, there is not much performance difference overall between SVR and WMR in terms of absolute performance , SVR seems to be marginally quicker, my test for this is pretty basic of watching the same scene in one and then the other and getting 45 in SVR and 30 in WMR, this surprised me, i was expecting WMR to be faster, but i don't believe it is, based on one test type.

- smoother, 30 fps gives a real advantage in edge cases where you frame time will drop outside of the acceptable range for 45 

- motion vector, its simply worse than SVR, there is more "flicker"  in the frames that are being guessed, meaning the guesses are less accurate under WMR.

- it is less steps to install , but the in helmet UI is awkward, no more or less so than other though, personally i prefer a nice text editor.

my conclusion is that it is a really useful mod, if you are falling off the edge of of the 18-19ms practical frame time for your GPU to get into motion smoothing a lot, otherwise its shows a lot of potential but i don't think its ready yet... if you compare it to VRPerfkit v0.3 that said the devs have done good work, in a really short time ... the jury is out...

my 0.2c  

Appreciate it !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

32 minutes ago, edmuss said:

That's not right, this is running 75% with no MSAA.

I think the A10 HUD is more forgiving, looks like they used bitmap fonts.  But otherwise you also seem to get the jagged hill lines against the clouds, the frame edges and the jagged roads.

grafik.png

17 minutes ago, winghunter said:

I think the A10 HUD is more forgiving, looks like they used bitmap fonts.  But otherwise you also seem to get the jagged hill lines against the clouds, the frame edges and the jagged roads.

grafik.png

Yeah I do still get slight aliasing on the HUD frame and distant hills on that mission are terrible because they're in the clouds and are always really badly aliased.

If the HUD text texture is in a different format then that might explain why yours is particularly bad and therefore peoples experiences will vary by module.  I would have anticipated that all modules would use the same setup for HUD/MFD screen text.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

The HUD is usually textures and bitmap fonts afaik. These can vary greatly from module to module regarding resolution, aliasing, sharpness/contrast, mipmap levels etc.

The Tomcat is another example which has very sharp aliasing on the ACM panel in the cockpit, while the HUD looks ok. In the F-15 on the other hand, the HUD looks the worst.

• Like 1

Can I use this openXR with a vive pro 2? I don't know how it works, but it seems openXR means you no longer need steamVR right?
But when I launch the Vive Console software, it opens steamVR automatically. Has anyone done this with VP2?

Thanks.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

13 minutes ago, SneakyBastd said:

Can I use this openXR with a vive pro 2? I don't know how it works, but it seems openXR means you no longer need steamVR right?
But when I launch the Vive Console software, it opens steamVR automatically. Has anyone done this with VP2?

Thanks.

If it uses WMR then yes it will work.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

Updated the guide to include V0.6.3

Jabbah has reverted to using shader to do inverted copy as using FOV trick isn't working for all runtimes or with the OXR Toolkit.

This should solve issues with those who are using this guide on headsets that are not WMR compliant (aka Oculus)

If the mod is working for you at the moment, I would recommend not updating from 0.6.2 to the new version as it will do nothing for you

• nikoel changed the title to [Update 1/4 V0.6.3] OpenXR Quickstart Guide (For G2, G1 and other Headsets)

0.6.3 Works fine with my quest 2 and I have the feeling that the picture is crispier (Don’t know if there is any additional sharpening in OpenXR). This is without Openxr toolkit and using only Quest 2 sharpening option 

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

3 hours ago, SneakyBastd said:

It doesn't use WMR, it's vive software and steamvr. Thanks though.

The whole gist of this seems to be getting away from having to use multiple VR services just to play. If all you're doing is using SteamVR, then you should be ok..but ppl who use WMR for DCS absolutely have to use steamVR for some dumb reason or other on top of WMR in a "rob peter to pay paul" ordeal. Its an act of laziness on the part of these VR headset vendors who dont want to come up with their own operating system for their headsets, which is why some of these top tier headsets are cheap.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

vor 18 Stunden schrieb speed-of-heat:

Motion Reprojection seems to work ok, for me @zildac, set it to always on on OpenXR Tools for Developer and unlocked in in the in game OpenXR Toolkit in game menu

Same here.....reprojection works perfectly with allways-on. But as i cant get OpenXR Toolkit to work, it would be interesting to test if "unlocked" is really necessary

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

vor 10 Stunden schrieb fastf1nger:

Hi,

I tried it again after all and have now got it to work.

I have taken so many steps I don't know which step was the right one.

Have you already followed these instructions?
After that it worked for me:
https://github.com/mbucchia/OpenXR-Toolkit/issues/136

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, fastf1nger said:

Same here.....reprojection works perfectly with allways-on. But as i cant get OpenXR Toolkit to work, it would be interesting to test if "unlocked" is really necessary

For reprojection, unlocked is the best option, it will disengage at refresh rate giving you ultimate image quality and then step down to 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 fractions of refresh rate when needed.  If you lock the reprojection rate to 45 then it will only run at 45hz, however if you then drop below the threshold for the next bracket (24ms + 3->6ms for reprojection overhead) it will disable the reprojection and get all lumpy; it won't make use of the 30hz (1/3 refresh) bracket.

Being able to lock it down can be useful for testing purposes but for general use unlocked is superior.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Its an act of laziness on the part of these VR headset vendors who dont want to come up with their own operating system for their headsets, which is why some of these top tier headsets are cheap.

I am not sure that is true, Microsoft Windows Mixed Reality is a platform for VR headsets in its own right. It doesn't need SteamVR. The issue is that it becomes yet another platform for software developers to support and the "bridge" to SteamVR makes it accessible to all those titles that already support it, so understandably many developers have opted for that whilst watching how WMR has taken off.

Having loads of VR platforms to support doesn't sound a great idea for software developers.

14 minutes ago, edmuss said:

For reprojection, unlocked is the best option, it will disengage at refresh rate giving you ultimate image quality and then step down to 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 fractions of refresh rate when needed.  If you lock the reprojection rate to 45 then it will only run at 45hz, however if you then drop below the threshold for the next bracket (24ms + 3->6ms for reprojection overhead) it will disable the reprojection and get all lumpy; it won't make use of the 30hz (1/3 refresh) bracket.

Being able to lock it down can be useful for testing purposes but for general use unlocked is superior.

I guess if you are generally at 30 but occasionally get 45 it would prevent the switching between refresh rates. I can't say I ever seen any issue when it switches but maybe there is the potential for some jerkiness when it does?

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

From my experience, the switch from 90-45-30-22 is seamless with no hitching unlike steamvr which introduces a stutter if you're on the threshold.  I think OXR has an additional hysteresis that attenutates the change over and it renders much smoother; on steamvr you can watch it jumping twice a second from 90-45-90-45 back and forth.

3 hours ago, edmuss said:

is that setting in the openxr page or the toolkit that opens with f2?

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

1 minute ago, The_Nephilim said:

is that setting in the openxr page or the toolkit that opens with f2?

You set the motion reprojection to always on (not auto, it turns reprojection off entirely) on the desktop OpenXR Developer Tools (where you set the render resolution) and the OpenXR Toolkit ingame menu is where you can lock the reprojection rate to one of the fractions of the refresh rate 🙂

Does running DCS in VR with only WMR and no SteamVR mean OpenXR fully works? During most of my attempts the OpenXR ingame menu could not be opened although the Toolkit did run in the background.

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant