OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

The OpenXR Toolkit isn't required to run DCS with the openxr runtime, it just gives options for tuning and adjustments ingame.  It should be possible to make adjustments to the settings via registry key changes but I cannot recommend this.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

31 minutes ago, edmuss said:

The OpenXR Toolkit isn't required to run DCS with the openxr runtime, it just gives options for tuning and adjustments ingame.  It should be possible to make adjustments to the settings via registry key changes but I cannot recommend this.

Yea, of course 🙂  Just wanted to find out if my installation is working as intended right now. For nowI guess I ll revert back to SteamVR anyway because of VRNS and anti haze shaders. But I ll keep an eye on it 🙂

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

7 minutes ago, trigen said:

I keep getting this error but cant find anything on it. Any tips? 

There are a few posts about this on the previous page of this thread

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

6 minutes ago, trigen said:

Not that i can see. 

14 hours ago, fastf1nger said:

Nobody any solution to this Error message?
Having this Error code since installing (YES) - the DCS version of the toolkit,
and YES the PD ingame is set to 1.0 and YES when disabling the toolkint in settings
everything works fine and DCS starts and runs smoothly like never before.

So now.....seems that more and more of us encounter this error message.
Really still no soluition here? I dont have any ideas left 😉
THX again btw for all your time and work!!!

13 hours ago, Slo-Mo said:

I am running Windows 11. I had the latest non-security update KB5011563 installed. After I rolled that back all is good again. Btw, I do not use the specific DCS version of the Toolkit but the regular 1.04 one. It has been suggested by the developers of OpenComposite/Toolkit that the error is related to OS update. Hope this helps any1 how runs Windows 11.

Cheers

3 hours ago, A.F. said:

Hi,

I tried it again after all and have now got it to work.

I have taken so many steps I don't know which step was the right one.

Have you already followed these instructions?
After that it worked for me:
https://github.com/mbucchia/OpenXR-Toolkit/issues/136

Edited by Baldrick33
  • Like 2

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

On 3/31/2022 at 1:29 PM, edmuss said:

Will do, it will be later on tonight though 🙂

Off the top of my head my CPU normally sits around 9-11ms I think with OXR based on a simple mission.

edit: @wju did some back to back testing, I think my OXR MR is currently bugged as I've got jelly eels all over the place again and post gpu overhead is currently blowing it out of the water 😄

OC_ACC MR off
CPU 10.3ms GPU 15.5

OC_ACC MR on
CPU 10.9ms GPU 20.5
CPU 10.4ms GPU 15.2

SVR MR off
CPU 9.6ms GPU 15.5

SVR MR on
CPU 9.7ms GPU 15.3

Figures are nominal but +/- 0.5ms give or take, apart from the OXR MR which whilst still pulling 50fps is reprojecting down to 22hz bracket.

I don't use MR as it is and SVR to OXR performance is virtually identical without it, CPU is slightly higher but that's not an issue.  What you can't see from those numbers however is that SVR MR off was stuttery at >60fps when looking round the cockpit whilst at the same time being more blurry than OXR which was far smoother and much better clarity.

Once the OXR MR bug is fixed then I would say that performance is likely to be comparable across the board.

edit: sorted the GPU overhead issue, all the same frametimes now, SVR still looks like I have a guaze sheet over my head and it stutters around the cockpit.

nice, thanks 🖕

in what mission/map/module did you take the measurement?

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

i was doing mine on the deck of the super carrier (cold start) in the F-18

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

In case everyone is wondering what a mess VR currently is and why OpenXR must be the future and needs to be as quickly as possible

Here is a diagram made by Mbucchia

This is why this works so well for some headsets and other such as *cough Pimax cough* are not getting a single cent of my money

69018DB6-D92D-4C3F-BCC4-05038C8550DE.png

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, wju said:

nice, thanks 🖕

in what mission/map/module did you take the measurement?

A10C easy instant action, it's my typical go-to to roughly guage performance as it's a pretty set mission and frametime variations are minimal to none (barring MFDs being turned on and off etc.).  Only running DCS, 0.75% resolution on both to keep things like for like, no mods/upscaling/FFR/sharpening. 

Essentially start the mission, fly down below the cloud level and point it at the green smoke, record frametimes, change settings, rinse and repeat.  It's not scientific or taking an average, just a fairly comparable snapshot of what's happening in the grand scheme of things.  Doing a static cold/ramp scenario would probably garner more repeatable results but we don't spend 90% of our time on the floor in DCS, it also normally biases the load to be more CPU intensive (in my experience) so again not truely indicative of a normal flight situation.

Obviously last night something had gone majorly wrong with my GPU/drivers and had really screwed up the OXR MR whereas everything else was consistent, solved it at 2am and it's now running the same frametimes 🤨

As per my very first post in the thread, there isn't much in the actual peak fps improvement*, it really shines in the smoothness and stability of the frametimes though; testing carried out by the varjo users showed a very significant increase in the low percentages.  Steamvr was jumping 4-5ms constantly all the time, introducing stutter with no reprojection active and still hitching a little with reprojection.  Now I'll happily admit that the reprojection implementation in OC_ACC isn't quite as good as SVR yet but that should come with some more development time 🙂

*this is for me, running a 3070, I am GPU bound.  A halo card such as the 3090/6900xt will probably gain more performance increase.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

6 minutes ago, edmuss said:

A10C easy instant action, it's my typical go-to to roughly guage performance as it's a pretty set mission and frametime variations are minimal to none (barring MFDs being turned on and off etc.).  Only running DCS, 0.75% resolution on both to keep things like for like, no mods/upscaling/FFR/sharpening. 

Essentially start the mission, fly down below the cloud level and point it at the green smoke, record frametimes, change settings, rinse and repeat.  It's not scientific or taking an average, just a fairly comparable snapshot of what's happening in the grand scheme of things.  Doing a static cold/ramp scenario would probably garner more repeatable results but we don't spend 90% of our time on the floor in DCS, it also normally biases the load to be more CPU intensive (in my experience) so again not truely indicative of a normal flight situation.

Obviously last night something had gone majorly wrong with my GPU/drivers and had really screwed up the OXR MR whereas everything else was consistent, solved it at 2am and it's now running the same frametimes 🤨

As per my very first post in the thread, there isn't much in the actual peak fps improvement, it really shines in the smoothness and stability of the frametimes though; testing carried out by the varjo users showed a very significant increase in the low percentages.  Steamvr was jumping 4-5ms constantly all the time, introducing stutter with no reprojection active and still hitching a little with reprojection.  Now I'll happily admit that the reprojection implementation in OC_ACC isn't quite as good as SVR yet but that should come with some more development time 🙂

agreed, reliable ms/fps measurement is not the simple  😄

the best would be ingame implemented standard benchmark...

well, OXR is the right way to go on, no doubt.  I have played with it yesterday for the very first time.

for me personally, caveats are the lack of kind of NeckSafer and not so polished MR

on the other hand,  I was always struggling on complex multiplayer servers, with may units etc.

I have tried server with many units yesterday with OXR, where I was always limited by poor CPU frametimes (above 18ms).

Now, with OXR and MR locked it to 30fps it is very playable.  Nice experience.

• Like 3

i7-7820X@4.5Ghz; GPU 3080Ti, 64GB RAM, HP Reverb G2; VKB Ultimate stick; VIRPIL Throttle; Slaw Pedals; custom AX&BTN BOX

I just installed this and have one word, .....WOW......I have not yet done any tinkering with the toolkit, simply followed the install guide, turned off MR, and set to 100%.

The experience in DCS is amazing, really smooth, no shimmering or artifacts, hugely increased clarity.......Of course, all subjective as FPSvr now not working, but the eyes dont lie!! 

Thanks so much Nikoel, for putting this out and the helpful  guide etc. Its a game changer for me in VR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

42 minutes ago, CybrSlydr said:

So, with a 6800XT, do you folks think switching to OpenXR over SteamVR would alleviate some framerate issues I've been having? 

Well, it's completely safe, just a few files, so you really don't have much to lose in trying it.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, markturner1960 said:

I just installed this and have one word, .....WOW......I have not yet done any tinkering with the toolkit, simply followed the install guide, turned off MR, and set to 100%.

The experience in DCS is amazing, really smooth, no shimmering or artifacts, hugely increased clarity.......Of course, all subjective as FPSvr now not working, but the eyes dont lie!! 

Thanks so much Nikoel, for putting this out and the helpful  guide etc. Its a game changer for me in VR

You can enable performance metrics from the dev tool or the toolkit, both display the same thing in one way or another, however you need to know what you're looking because it's not quite so straight forward as the performance chart in FPSVR.

1 minute ago, Nightstorm said:

Well, it's completely safe, just a few files, so you really don't have much to lose in trying it.

^^ What he said 🙂

For those need to free up some additional GPU VRAM... maybe just a good house keeping in general.

• Like 2

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Its such a shame we cant totally disable WMR home, even SteamVR allows this.

@nikoelreplacing WMR home with an empty room in above video should be part of the guide

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

vor 4 Stunden schrieb nikoel:

In case everyone is wondering what a mess VR currently is and why OpenXR must be the future and needs to be as quickly as possible

Here is a diagram made by Mbucchia

This is why this works so well for some headsets and other such as *cough Pimax cough* are not getting a single cent of my money

69018DB6-D92D-4C3F-BCC4-05038C8550DE.png

PERFECT!!! I´m with you 100%

In my case i have a pretty solid hardware with the 3090 etc.......and what i can say after testing around
for 2-3 days....OpenXR works absolutely amazing. SteamVR was pretty good aswell, i got fluid motion
with high/ultra settings. But MAN oh MAN.....OpenXR and motionrepo "always on" is a different story!!!
Please Devs......keep on going this route ❤️

• Like 1

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

vor 8 Stunden schrieb A.F.:

Hi,

I tried it again after all and have now got it to work.

I have taken so many steps I don't know which step was the right one.

Have you already followed these instructions?
After that it worked for me:
https://github.com/mbucchia/OpenXR-Toolkit/issues/136

I´ve seen this the other day, but because of my work i didn´r really find the time to work
through the "pretty long" thread 😉 I´ll give this a try asap

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

Clarity is most obvious improvement, followed by smooth performance without jitters and lag. Also gone is the headache and vomit inducing flickering when the mission is loading.

This is a must have for the Reverb owners. I really reccomend this. Use the Skatezillas DCS Updater/cleaner. DCS native cleaner didn't remove the Reshade files, which caused the game to crash at start. After cleaning the DCS with that tool, everything worked as by the manual.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

46 minutes ago, PlainSight said:

Also gone is the headache and vomit inducing flickering when the mission is loading.

Actually I was wondering what happened, that did indeed disappear.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

if you manually install it, it quite clearly says you have to delete the  AMD FSR openvr api.dll for it to work,but it also says the Tool kit allows you to reinstall it (AMDs FSR)later using the toolkit, but Id like to hear from anyone thats done it successfully .Im quite happy with AMDs FSR but if this will help(ON TOP OF/Together with/along side of the boost I got from AMDs FSR) as well Im willing to do it but Id love to hear from anyone who has.

Edited by SkipCarey
clarify

My WMR settings doesn't have the startup & desktop  😮

EDIT: I don't think I need it anyway! 

Edited by t-stoff

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

"The nation which forgets its defenders will be itself forgotten"

3090/I59600k@4800. I must be missing something here. With MR Always on and XR render scale at 100%+ I'm getting a very good image with the MR doing a great job, particularly @30fps which is a game changer in multiplayer servers. There are however the downsides of reprojection present.  I'm confused at the enthusiasm for MR off. Seems to me that unless you're hovering around 5 or so of this 90/45 fps "soft lock" consistently, anywhere in-between is a blurry slideshow when looking sideways out of the cockpit. Missions don't generally draw resources in that way. 

• Like 1

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.