OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

7 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

in the mean time back to SVR

are you using your shaders mod at the time you're trying to use OpenXR?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Yes for the purposes of like for like comparison

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hm.  Either motion smoothing isn't working at all with the Toolkit enabled, or it's working extraordinarily well.  Can't quite decide.  Suspect the former.  

Got myself kinda dizzy today.  With motion smoothing off,  and not using anything in Toolkit other than color and contrast, there's a remarkable sensation of speed.  I think it might be a latency thing.  So, my brain isn't saying "huh nice video game" it's saying "waaaaaaaaaaah SLOW DOWN" (and I'm like, I ain't slowing down for nobody)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Quick UPDATE: had my....lets say....25th flight or so since changing to OpenXR, not going back to SVR.
For me Motion Reprojection "allways on" works absolutely fine and most of the sliders in DCS maxed out.
YES some hate the wobbling-effect on props, but for me - the improvements in perfomance alone are worth it.
Marianas for me still unusable....the only place where SVR + shaders mod was absolutely better!!!

BTW...didn´t really notice any picture quality drops as some reported. Not using the OpenXR Toolkit at the moment.
Any of you tested OpenXR with/without shaders mod back and forth and allready noticed bit differences?

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

2 hours ago, fastf1nger said:

Marianas for me still unusable....the only place where SVR + shaders mod was absolutely better!!!

BTW...didn´t really notice any picture quality drops as some reported. Not using the OpenXR Toolkit at the moment.
Any of you tested OpenXR with/without shaders mod back and forth and allready noticed bit differences?

Agree with your observation regarding the Marianas map. 

OpenXR doesn't really seem to help on this map since the map is severely limited by CPU performance.

On all other maps, OpenXR utilizes my GPU between 85 and 100 percent now but on Marianas the GPU utilization drops to 60-75% due to the CPU bottleneck.

Edited by lax22
  • Like 1

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

Anyone had any strange issues with controllers? I've had both of my G2 controllers thumbstick buttons being phantom pressed, I see the thumb freakin out in VR. They also vibrate like crazy doing it. Makes it very annoying to use them. 

22 minutes ago, ThatPieMan said:

Anyone had any strange issues with controllers? I've had both of my G2 controllers thumbstick buttons being phantom pressed, I see the thumb freakin out in VR. They also vibrate like crazy doing it. Makes it very annoying to use them. 

Never use mine much. But I would wonder if there's a way to increase deadzone?

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

7 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Never use mine much. But I would wonder if there's a way to increase deadzone?

Dunno if deadzone would do it, it seems to be the thumbstick button, ie clicking it in. If I hold it down (clicked in) it stops, and sometimes clicking it a few times will stop it for a while. Its bizarre. I suspect its an OXR issue, but not 100%

I think this mod may just get my interest back in DCS. The performance in VR on my ageing system (i7-4790k, 32gb DDR3 Ram, GTX 1080, DCS on SSD, Reverb G1) wasnt great. Whilst I could get low 40's FPS wise with a reasonable frametime (mid-late teens) when using MR in SteamVR, the sharpness of the visuals left a lot to be desired, especially trying to read some of the cockpit switches/guages not to mention the shimmering of buildings and edges of the cockpit.

Having tried this mod today I am amazed at how much of an improvement it made to my VR experience, I can read everything in the cockpit with no shimmering within the plane or the environment. I've never had such clarity before in my G1 headset and it runs smooth to my eyes (on Caucus), I can see myself spending more time on DCS now.

21 hours ago, nikoel said:

Bruh! Seriously?

----------------

Anyway

If you are using the EVGA Precision X1 software make sure to NOT upgrade to the 3/28 version. This is causing issues with OpenXR Toolkit. If you already installed it, you can delete the following file to solve the problem: C:\Windows\System32\FW1FontWrapper.dll.
If the EVGA software is set to auto update make sure to disable that too

No I'm totally joking... I followed the guide and watched two videos on it. If I am missing something it isn't because I didn't follow your instructions. 

If you have a link to some explanation or help that sure would be better than "Bruh! Seriously?" 

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

17 minutes ago, RaTzo said:

No I'm totally joking... I followed the guide and watched two videos on it. If I am missing something it isn't because I didn't follow your instructions. 

If you have a link to some explanation or help that sure would be better than "Bruh! Seriously?" 

Have a re-read through the original post. You'll notice that it specifically says that the FSR mod is not supported. The openXR toolkit has an FSR mode, but its a bit hit and miss. 

Great results here in single player mode with OXRCACC (with and without OXRTK)

...but multiplayer mode is hit and miss, with the fps dropping drastically after a few seconds to a couple of minutes into flight, and also with f10 map use in MP. Sometimes it picks up again, but once it drops its pretty much over till exiting the server where it will generally reset itself. Even the DCS menus become jittery/juddery once it happens till exiting server.

I don't experience this with SVR (with MR on or off) in multiplayer. It seems to be linked to openxr somewhere.

8 minutes ago, Dogmanbird said:

Great results here in single player mode with OXRCACC (with and without OXRTK)

...but multiplayer mode is hit and miss, with the fps dropping drastically after a few seconds to a couple of minutes into flight, and also with f10 map use in MP. Sometimes it picks up again, but once it drops its pretty much over till exiting the server where it will generally reset itself. Even the DCS menus become jittery/juddery once it happens till exiting server.

I don't experience this with SVR (with MR on or off) in multiplayer. It seems to be linked to openxr somewhere.

What is OXRCACC and OXRTK?

22 minutes ago, Dogmanbird said:

The OXRComposite-ACC mod. and OpenXRToolKit

Sorry if that was confusing. After chatting about it for hours on discord, we've all slowly evolved to using acronyms

Fair enough! What is that ACC mod specifically? Or have I just missed something entirely obvious

It's just Open Composite I believe. I think it was initially written for and tested on Assetto Corsa Competizioniespaghetti racing game (and now the original Assetto Corsa), but it's now working on a lot of others (including DCS of course 🙂 ). 

Edited by Dogmanbird

My experience in OpenXR makes me not returning to SVR.

Yestarday tested in Liberation MP mission with 12 other players my system could mantain 30 FPS with Retro set in always ON. Very smooth almost all mission with NO jittering, ghosting and sttuters. During only 2 minutes defending from several SA-11 launches, fps dropped suddenly below 10 fps with retro artifacts but sim recovered itself managing to mantain again 30 fps rest fo the mission. For me it s a no-go for returning to SVR. Only waiting Openkneeboard for OpenXR and tuning color/contrast in toolkit to get something close to VR_Sharpen_Color reshade mod.

My testing: TEXTURES BOTH TO HIGH, SHADOWS FLAT-ONLY, WATER MEDIUM, MSAAx4, CLOUDS HIGH, ALMOST ALL SLIDERS TO 100%, ANISOTROP. x16, RES TO 100% in OpenXR slider, Retropyeccion Always ON.

Im using HP Reverb G2 in a i7-9700K, 64Gb RAM, RTX 3080Ti. No Overclock...., no MODS.

Edited by chichowalker
  • Like 1

I certainly have good things to say about this openXR interface app.
What was a stuttering fest before especially flying the Ah-64 in Syrian map is now playable to a great extent.
The Visuals(cockpit and outside) are pretty much better.
The impressive thing is that I could add MSAA and still manage to play.
The developers sure did some amazing work with the VR interface application.
My gtx1060 card and Samsung Odyssey plus headset got playtime extension in dcs till I can transition to reverb G2 and better affordable system upgrade.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

19 hours ago, nikoel said:

Double click

Click next a couple of times

Click Finish

(It's openXR Toolkit that was updated - Not OpenXR itself)

ok THX!

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

4 minutes ago, Dogmanbird said:

Just curious how many of us posting here are testing this in multiplayer servers? 

If you are, and are having similar performance (good) to single player, would you mind sharing which servers you are using? 

Im my case, we are using our SQN dedicated derver, hosting Liberation Campaigns. These missions are, from my point of view, the most demanding ones, taking resources from CPU and GPU, due to big amount of units management during 150 min of mission. Normally is CPU what is making bottleneck due to this big amount of entities. For me, is the most demanding test for OpenXr and it was passed successfully.

I'm probably being particularly dense but is 100% render in OpenXR = to 100% per application resolution in SVR?
I'm assume yes. In openXR I'm not able to see final global resolution as you have in fpsvr, but from my sensation is that is same resolution

Enviado desde mi SM-G981B mediante Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, BeerNfrites said:

I'm probably being particularly dense but is 100% render in OpenXR = to 100% per application resolution in SVR?

Yes*

As long as your overall steam settings were at 100% as well. Otherwise you're applying multiplications on top of multiplications
Eg. Default Steam setting 50%, per app setting of 200% = 100%

2 minutes ago, chichowalker said:

I'm assume yes. In openXR I'm not able to see final global resolution as you have in fpsvr, but from my sensation is that is same resolution

OpenXR gives you the final output in the second tab of OpenXR Tools

Edited by nikoel
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BeerNfrites said:

Pretty much but OXR looks better at 100% than SVR and seems to scale better to lower resolutions.

1 minute ago, chichowalker said:

If you look on the second tab of the OXRDT it will list the current resolution of the headset 🙂

• Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.