OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

4 minutes ago, plaiskool said:

Wow my view is all AFU i feel like i'm in 2D world, very strange, i need to find a fix.

rename your dcs saved games folder and restart dcs

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

2 hours ago, ironeagles.flight said:

How to get there if you cannot see the OSD at all?

There should be a check box on the toolkit to load into "safe mode"  that loads all default settings so should reset the placement as well.  Then you should be able to hit reset to default.

So, I set it up and it runs great. However, I'm noticing strange "skipping" when moving my head around inside a mission. It's hard to describe, but it looks like the view momentarily twitches during head movement. It doesn't happen within WMR mountain house (so it's not a headset-side tracking issue), doesn't happen when looking straight ahead and just turning the jet, and didn't happen with SteamVR. Are there any fixes/workarounds for it? Motion reprojection and fiddling with stutter reduction doesn't seem to affect it.

On 4/3/2022 at 9:16 PM, ThatPieMan said:

Have a re-read through the original post. You'll notice that it specifically says that the FSR mod is not supported. The openXR toolkit has an FSR mode, but its a bit hit and miss. 

Yes I am aware. I removed the FSR Mod and used the toolkit to try to enable FSR. I thought that was obvious 🙂 It isn't working for me - hence my asking if there was something else I should try. 

I guess there isn't anything else I should try then..... 

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

3 hours ago, Dragon1-1 said:

So, I set it up and it runs great. However, I'm noticing strange "skipping" when moving my head around inside a mission. It's hard to describe, but it looks like the view momentarily twitches during head movement. It doesn't happen within WMR mountain house (so it's not a headset-side tracking issue), doesn't happen when looking straight ahead and just turning the jet, and didn't happen with SteamVR. Are there any fixes/workarounds for it? Motion reprojection and fiddling with stutter reduction doesn't seem to affect it.

I was having similar issues. Turning Vsync in Nvidia 3D settings to FAST solved my problem.  

• Like 1

I9-9900KS OC 5.2, Asus Maximus XI Hero, MSI RTX 4090 , EVGA 1200W P2 power supply, 2TB M.2 SSD, 64GB ram@3200mhz, Corsair H115i Pro AIO, Samsung Odyssey+, Reverb G2, Quest 3(new)

@nikoel I have been looking at your instance on not using MR; and being puzzled , because that always yields a terrible experience for me, then I noted that you are using Chiller in the AMD setting to force your framerate to 45, alas that's not possible with the nVidia software,  as it only forces the framerate for 2d and not VR applications.  I can sort of achieve something analogous via Riva Tuner Statistics but that essentially creates "a blur" round external objects, which to be honest is as bad (though different) as artefacts produced in MR's guesses. Unless anyone else knows a more reliable way to force frame rates in VR, then we are stuck with MR.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

36 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

@nikoel I have been looking at your instance on not using MR; and being puzzled , because that always yields a terrible experience for me, then I noted that you are using Chiller in the AMD setting to force your framerate to 45, alas that's not possible with the nVidia software,  as it only forces the framerate for 2d and not VR applications.  I can sort of achieve something analogous via Riva Tuner Statistics but that essentially creates "a blur" round external objects, which to be honest is as bad (though different) as artefacts produced in MR's guesses. Unless anyone else knows a more reliable way to force frame rates in VR, then we are stuck with MR.

Hey Brochachi

I do not lock any FPS. I let er' rip at maximum. Maximum for both my processor which is locked and GPU (which is within 100mhz bracket to maximum)

The 45FPS was a suggestion - I begrudgingly also put advice about Re-re-reprojection even though I hate it

Edited by nikoel

7 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Hey Brochachi

I do not lock any FPS. I let er' rip at maximum. Maximum for both my processor which is locked and GPU (which is within 100mhz bracket to maximum)

The 45FPS was a suggestion - I begrudgingly also put advice about Re-re-reprojection even though I hate it

ah i misunderstood, thanks for the clarification.  I guess different strokes for different folks... my head certainly objects to not having MR on.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I did new tests with a clean OPENXR install to test the last relase of my mod: same conclusions:

• More clarity but because of huge supersampling by default
  • Less fps in worst scenario like AH64D/instant action/runway start => I went below 30 fps with OpenXR, when I am a little bit above with SteamvR, even if reducing target size.
  • No possibility to have 60 fps without reproj and 30 fps with reproj (my config which allow me to have no reproj for most of the time), it's always reproj or stuttering...An option to manually toggle reproj on/off wiht a keybind should be provided.

Edited by lefuneste01
  • Like 1

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

23 hours ago, ironeagles.flight said:

How to get there if you cannot see the OSD at all?

Check opencomposite.cfg file and make sure this line is enabled,

;Hidden area mesh fix for G2, may work on other headsets
enableHiddenMeshFix=enabled

11 minutes ago, Nodak said:

Check opencomposite.cfg file and make sure this line is enabled,

;Hidden area mesh fix for G2, may work on other headsets
enableHiddenMeshFix=enabled

opencomposite.ini

I've noticed with my current settings etc I'm often sitting really close to 45 FPS.  I do not have motion reprojection turned on, and IF it's maintaining that 45 FPS, things seem really smooth.  So, I guess that's the "soft lock".  I'm using a 3090 and nothing is limiting the FPS except the eye candy.  When it drops to say 40 FPS, I get stuttering.

Also, related to using Process Lasso, I set up a rule to keep the Mixed Reality Portal from using the same CPU core's that I have assigned to DCS.  The result was, DCS started crashing upon entering or just before entering the sim environment on either an Nvidia DLL (nvwgf2umx.dll) or dx3d11.dll.

I had just made that change yesterday morning and all the sudden it was crashing like crazy.  Rolled that change back by just deleting the rules applied in Process Lasso for WMR and the crashing stopped.  So, be advised. 

23 hours ago, markturner1960 said:

I just tried it with MSAA off and running at 150%, with MR off as well, seems really nice for me....going to keep this for a while and do some testing.......

Is that 150% in the "OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality" options or in the "OpenXR Toolkit Beta-3" window that appears in game (CTRL+F2) when either NIS or FSR is selected? thank you

21 minutes ago, kefor said:

Is that 150% in the "OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality" options or in the "OpenXR Toolkit Beta-3" window that appears in game (CTRL+F2) when either NIS or FSR is selected? thank you

should be this (is what he's referring too).  I also run at 150%.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

My experience with openxr vs steamvr with a G2 after a week of fiddling: 

With no MR and same resolution settings, openxr seems smoother and textures are crisper.  I wonder if steamvr is running multiple up sample downsample routines perhaps one too many and with each resampling textures get botched...I just don't know enough about the render pipeline for vr....does anyone?

With MR and similar resolution Steamvr does a smoother clearer picture with less MR artifacts. 

Interestingly, you can actually see nvcp texture filertering settings make performance and quality differences when using openxr with no MR.  I never tried that with steamvr since it was just not smooth enough.

For now, I feel the improvement in smoothness and clarity in openxr with no mr or fsr beats better smoothness but poorer clarity in steamvr with mr and fsr.

Ryzen 5950x PBO | MSI RTX 3090 | 32gb 3600 RAM | 2 x SSD | Quest 3 | TM Warthog

Thought it would be worth sharing this here. This is from the recent WMR for SteamVR changelog.

Apparently this update is quite unstable with DCS, but I'll play around tomorrow to see if there are any differences in performance or smoothness with SteamVR now.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

51 minutes ago, ColinM9991 said:

Thought it would be worth sharing this here. This is from the recent WMR for SteamVR changelog.

Apparently this update is quite unstable with DCS, but I'll play around tomorrow to see if there are any differences in performance or smoothness with SteamVR now.

image.png

It has taken a long time to get promoted to stable but that feature was added to the WMR for SteamVR beta back in May 2021. So I don’t think it is quite as ground breaking as it may sound given many of us will have been experiencing the beta for many months without noticing it!

• Like 2

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

Can I ask about tweaking the colours and saturation etc using this? Performance is great but I think my colours are all a bit too vivid.... anyway to adjust?

• Thanks 1

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

12 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

It has taken a long time to get promoted to stable but that feature was added to the WMR for SteamVR beta back in May 2021. So I don’t think it is quite as ground breaking as it may sound given many of us will have been experiencing the beta for many months without noticing it!

Is it worth using the beta versions of WMR for Steam and SteamVR? Are they generally stable with DCS or is it prone to causing issues?

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

Hi all guys! 

I am trying to follow the guide from Nikoel here, but I'm having a problem: windows mixed reality won't recognize my Oculus Rift S.

I think I understood from some messages here that some of you with the Rift managed to find some sort of workaround and make it work. Can I ask you how did you do that? 

Thanks in advance! 

19 minutes ago, Freccia11 said:

Hi all guys! 

I am trying to follow the guide from Nikoel here, but I'm having a problem: windows mixed reality won't recognize my Oculus Rift S.

I think I understood from some messages here that some of you with the Rift managed to find some sort of workaround and make it work. Can I ask you how did you do that? 

Thanks in advance! 

I had the same problem with my quest 2 i saw a post in the thread to use skatezilla to start dcs and check the steam vr option since then i have had no problems

I do  not understand and do not want to read 47 pages.  I do not use Steam VR.  I use the Quest2 software.  Can I still use this app?

Edited by Steel Jaw

"You see, IronHand is my thing"

My specs:  W10 Pro, I5/11600K o/c to 4800 @1.32v, 64 GB 3200 XML RAM, ASUS RTX3060ti/8GB.