OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

if his changes have been merged in, isn't that a good thing ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

31 minutes ago, ColinM9991 said:

Jabbah's changes have been merged into the upstream OpenComposite repository here https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/master. Not sure if Jabbah's version will be supported going forward.

Unfortunately, my OvGME GitHub repository won't be updated to support this since the upstream doesn't have a very well refined release process. The download process is to essentially download the DLL files from the README in the upstream.

aren't we a dll short, the OpenVR downloads just a single dll ? whereas we get two from Jabbah?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

I've searched this topic, but can't find an answer. Under the FSR tab what does mip-map bias do? The options are off/conservative/all

"It takes a big man to admit he is wrong...I'm not a big man" Chevy Chase, Fletch Lives

5800X3D - 64gb ram - RTX3080 - Windows 11

1 hour ago, M1Combat said:

You can do the repair/cleanup option from the DCSupdater.exe as I recall...

Thank you. I decided to try it first with a clean standalone. I followed the OP instructions but when I launch DCS it won't switch over to VR mode (through OpenXR). I must be doing something stupid but I never used DCS/VR outside of SVR 🙂. Any ideas?

Edited by Salter10

7 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

What settings in the game are people running to get good preformance with the openXr and a 2080ti?

Currently I am using the following*: -

OXRDT resolution set to 75% with MR disabled.

OXRTK performance options disabled (upscaling & foveated rendering).

DCS settings as per attached.

Running the G2 at 60Hz I can best refresh rate quite comfortably with 13-14ms (70-75ish fps) so no stutter/jitter/ghosting/blurring/artifacts.  Over cities in syria it can drop down to the 55-60 which does introduce some ghosting when down low but it's acceptable for me.

The 3070 is just about on par with the 2080ti but with less vram, I am running a fair overclock on my gpu though (+175Mhz core / +1200Mhz vram) which gives quite a lot of uplift.

If you can't run 60Hz (because sensitivity to the flicker) then either shoot for 90Hz with 60-65% resolution and drop the DCS  settings to med/low or enable MR and up the settings a bit.

*quite possible to change next week 😄

OpenComposite_DCS_20220414_234929.png

• Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Hey folks. Followed OP instructions with a clean standalone (I normally use Steam license but decided to try it "clean" first). When running DCS it won't run in VR - in other words, I'm still seeing the portal through my G2 while the game runs on the desktop. I verified that the files are copied into the BIN folder etc. Thanks for your help!

Salter. 

Edited by Salter10

8 minutes ago, Salter10 said:

Hey folks. Followed OP instructions with a clean standalone (I normally use Steam license but decided to try it "clean" first). When running DCS it won't run in VR - in other words, I'm still seeing the portal through my G2 while the game runs on the desktop. I verified that the files are copied into the BIN folder etc. Thanks for your help!

Salter. 

you have checked enable VR headset ? in Options -> VR?

2 hours ago, ColinM9991 said:

Jabbah's changes have been merged into the upstream OpenComposite repository here https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/master. Not sure if Jabbah's version will be supported going forward.

Unfortunately, my OvGME GitHub repository won't be updated to support this since the upstream doesn't have a very well refined release process. The download process is to essentially download the DLL files from the README in the upstream.

Is this just for Oculus?

Is this just for Oculus?

Is this just for Oculus?

Edited by Sr.
holy triple post

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

8 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Is this just for Oculus? 

I assume it's for everything. It makes sense for the changes to be included in the upstream repository since it's an extension and not a rewrite. Plus, the devs are working well together in Discord. 

Weird...I just tried the install, DCS opens in what looks like VR mirror on my monitor, but I only see the WMR load room in the G2.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

5 hours ago, Sr. said:

Weird...I just tried the install, DCS opens in what looks like VR mirror on my monitor, but I only see the WMR load room in the G2.

I couldn't get this version to work with DCS either.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Salter10 said:

Salter. 

Still gotta use Jabbah's fork for now.   With ColinM's .ini file.  As the first post in this thread says.  (My suggestion: do everything in that post, in order.  That post has been continually updated and is the authoritative reference

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Although the changes have been merged, the upstream doesn't yet work due to a compilation target difference. I believe it's been compiled against Vulkan rather than D3D or Win32.

Nonetheless, I assume that the upstream will become the main source again once these compilation issues are resolved. For now my GitHub repository will remain as is but I may archive this in the future, unless, of course, I catch up with the upstream dev and see if I could convince them to set up GitLab Releases similarly to how Jabbah did.

I noticed a "ground movement stutter", and would love some feedback. OXR is functioning equally in both Steam (my active setup) and Standalone versions. I did not run clean/repair on my existing Steam version (SkateZilla won't work here). But I see no difference jumping back and forth between the two. I suspect the reason is that I had absolutely no mods installed on my Steam version. In Caucasus/F18 free flight (my reference) internal DCS FPS is showing around 90 FPS (MSAA turned off). Cockpit is wonderfully clear and smooth. The only major issue as I mentioned, is when I'm at around 5k height or lower looking straight down at the ground, especially over buildings, there's a "ground movement stutter" for lack of better description. FPS holds nicely though. This goes away if I force MR (FPS expectedly drops to 45) - but clarity goes to hell and artifacts mess things up, especially in the cockpit. Is there a way to fix or smooth things out without MR? Or is that the price to be paid, for now? 

I did not yet install or tweaked OXR toolkit configuration. Setup: 9900k/3800ti. GPU "medium" overclocked via MSI Afterburner and stable. CPU at 4.8ghz. 

Thank you!

Yeah we all get that.   There are a couple of different explanations.  It could just be framerate mismatch, or it could be your G2 constantly flipping between 90 and 45fps.

Either way, as you've seen, locking your framerates at 45 takes care of a lot of that.   Which is probably the primary benefit of using MR in your situation (doubt you're getting much "judder" at those framerates).  

Good news is, there are other ways to lock in your frame rate other than MR, which I agree generally causes as many problems as it solves. 

Me, I just dialed up my settings until my  system naturally runs at 45 and that works well enough for me.  

The "correct" way to do it is, locking your frame rate in software.  You should be able to do it with your GPU driver.  Also can lock your frame rates using the Companion App (the OXR toolkit you get from github), which is quicker and easier.    @TED does both, with good results. 

Try locking your frames at 45, without MR, and see what it looks like.   To me it looks pretty awful in SVR but in OpenXR it's not bad.  When you're real close to the ground, going real fast, things on your 3-9 line will look blurry but it should be smooth.

If you like it, you might as well load your GPU up, because your new target is 45fps instead of 90.   I hear the 3080 runs better under a load anyway.  

Finally, you could just run your headset at 60hz.  @edmuss gets good results doing that.  Many of us get a noticeable flicker at 60hz so ymmv. 

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

35 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

The "correct" way to do it is, locking your frame rate in software.  You should be able to do it with your GPU driver.

Locking the framerate externally is a bit of a hack and not ideal for the vr renderer. That said OXR is smoother at 45 than it is at 50 but that's only because you're locked into a vsync fraction. Using an external framerate cap via RTSS also locked my CPU to 22ms.

Now I've overclocked my GPU enough to pull 75fps I can run consistently over refresh rate @60Hz and it's perfectly smooth.

5 minutes ago, Dogmanbird said:

Can DCS aircraft and maps purchased in steam be moved over to standalone, or is it only the base game?

Ta

Yes they can, you can transfer the steam licenses to a standalone installation and they'll be registered as purchased modules against your DCS account. You can't go the other way though but that's not an issue.

Have a check through the DCS FAQs on how to transfer them.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Last thing I've done to get solid 45FPS and a absolutely clear image without artefacts or any shimmering is, dialing the texture quality in DCS down to medium and the ground textures to low. Mainly settings are at 100% OXRDT and MSAA 2x Motion smoothing activated and locked 45Hz in OXR Toolkit.

With these settings there are no general stutters, maybe random stutters from loading textures now and then, but not noticable all the time, even when looking left or right out of the cockpit.

Setting down the texture quality in DCS also makes the Hind flyable again with solid 45fps everywhere. The Apache now is the only module which dips down occasionally below 45fps, but above 40fps, what keeps the Apache flyable and not turning it into a stutter fest.

Another thing I've noticed due to the reduction of texture quality is, that after doing some TestFlights with different modules on different maps and then returning to the DCS main menu it takes a long time until the FPS got refreshed back to 90fps in the main menu at high texture settings. Now with medium texture and low ground texture, the refresh in the main menu to 90 fps is always instantly, as it should be.

So my conclusion is, that the texture setting in DCS does have a notcable impact on performance ( probably better handling in some texture cache or maybe V-Ram usage of the Graphics adapter... can't say...don´t know ... just observing the effects )

The downside of reducing the texture quality is, that the buildings an hangars on the map now lost some life like quality looking,... just lacking of quality textures, but that's the trade off - the cockpits and external models of the modules as well the targets, like tanks, SAM, etc. don't have a lack of quality as far as I could say from some flying.

It's up to each one, what is more preferable in VR. For me with a 3080Ti running it is at the moment more preferable a clear, crisp, shimmering-free and flawless image at solid 45FPS as an optimum for reprojection locked at 45Hz and an absolutely stutter-free and smooth experience on 95% every module and scenario.

Edited by Rosebud47
  • Like 1

F-14b Tomcat   /   AV-8B Harrier   /   F-16C Viper  /   KA-50 Black Shark   /   Mi-24 Hind   /   MiG-21bis   

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

Locking the framerate externally is a bit of a hack and not ideal for the vr renderer.

That makes me feel better 😄

Went for a flight today.  

• I don't think locking frames in the companion app does anything unless MR is on
  • Number one biggest cause of "stutters" I'll bet is switching from one frame rate to another.  Even with MR on, I think it's flipping between 30 and 45fps.   WHich is where the companion app comes in; it would probably be smoother if I locked it at 30.  I'm so irritated with MR I couldn't make myself do it; I think the artifact is worse now than it used to be and it seems to be dragging my performance down. 
  • Radeon chill doesn't seem to hurt anything, I'm just not sure I'm seeing a huge difference.  There was a big difference is SVR I thought, but not so much with OpenXR. 

Perhaps all @Salter10 needs to do is turn his settings UP.  Get away from that 90fps inflection point.  Might smooth things out a bunch.  Not totally but a lot, I'll bet.  Or try 60hz

32 minutes ago, Rosebud47 said:

So my conclusion is, that the texture setting in DCS does have a notcable impact on performance 

I think you're right. 

I'd consider just turning down terrain texture, all looks the same to me but definitely unlocks performance and a lot of it.   I don't like turning down cockpit textures though, I can definitely see the difference.  

I am a bit surprised turning down textures affected your performance that much, I mean you've got VRAM and bandwidth and TMU's galore.  I guess every time ya remove one bottleneck, another pops up, don't it

Edited by DeltaMike

7 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

That makes me feel better 😄

Went for a flight today.  

• I don't think locking frames in the companion app does anything unless MR is on
  • Number one biggest cause of "stutters" I'll bet is switching from one frame rate to another.  Even with MR on, I think it's flipping between 30 and 45fps.   WHich is where the companion app comes in; it would probably be smoother if I locked it at 30.  I'm so irritated with MR I couldn't make myself do it; I think the artifact is worse now than it used to be and it seems to be dragging my performance down. 
  • Radeon chill doesn't seem to hurt anything, I'm just not sure I'm seeing a huge difference.  There was a big difference is SVR I thought, but not so much with OpenXR. 

Perhaps all @Salter10 needs to do is turn his settings UP.  Get away from that 90fps inflection point.  Might smooth things out a bunch.  Not totally but a lot, I'll bet.  Or try 60hz

I think you're right. 

I'd consider just turning down terrain texture, all looks the same to me but definitely unlocks performance and a lot of it.   I don't like turning down cockpit textures though, I can definitely see the difference.  

I am a bit surprised turning down textures affected your performance that much, I mean you've got VRAM and bandwidth and TMU's galore.  I guess every time ya remove one bottleneck, another pops up, don't it

I use this instead of Chill. Seems it works better on my end than having a min & max limiter.

Under Global Graphics/Advanced.

Just don't try to play Rocket League at 45 fps  🙂

Screenshot 2022-04-15 124131.jpg

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

Took a trip down memory lane and flew through Vegas in SVR/WMR.  Also took a spin in MSFS, same run.

WMR's motion reprojection is really pretty good, it's super smooth.  I liked ASW back in the day but it's been a while; people who have tried em back to back say WMR 's motion vector is better, see comments here.  OTOH OpenXR's motion reprojection just doesn't cut the mustard IMO.  I can't tell that it's actually doing anything other than causing artifact.  Is what it is I guess.  

35 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

Took a trip down memory lane and flew through Vegas in SVR/WMR.  Also took a spin in MSFS, same run.

WMR's motion reprojection is really pretty good, it's super smooth.  I liked ASW back in the day but it's been a while; people who have tried em back to back say WMR 's motion vector is better, see comments here.  OTOH OpenXR's motion reprojection just doesn't cut the mustard IMO.  I can't tell that it's actually doing anything other than causing artifact.  Is what it is I guess.  

100% agree with this, currently OXR reprojection can't hold a candle to WMR4SVR. I really do hope that it will get resolved though as the facility to step down the fractions is massive.

10 minutes ago, DigitalEngine said:

Back to this question, if anyone can input, please.
I have the Vive (version 1), however, I do not use the HTC Vive software layer (not installed), only SteamVR.
So, with this configuration, does anyone know if it's possible to use openXR in place of SteamVR with the Vive?

https://www.roadtovr.com/htc-vive-focus-3-openxr-public-beta/

I'm going to put this out there because it seems odd to me.  I have two version of the OpenXR Tookit Companion app.  1.04_DCS and 1.05.  The current instructions in the first post point to the 1.05 version that was released earlier this month.

I thought I'd try it again, and I lost 10-15 FPS with no other changes.  I removed it and reinstalled the 1.04_DCS version and got the FPS back.

What was done to that 1.04_DSC version that makes it custom to DCS?  I didn't have a problem with 1.04_DCS so I'll stick with that and keep my 15 FPS thank you.

Just seems odd.