OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

On 4/2/2022 at 1:03 AM, edmuss said:

I've seen similar but not investigated, replicated or identified a cause yet.  Think I'm going to have to do some testing with MR enabled 🙂

So I've finnaly found the TRUE source of my framerate dips. Had nothing to do with MR on or off. It was my MSI motherboard and its <profanity>ty software that caused thermal throttling in some situations, like longer than 1h sessions or GPU heavy maps. So sometimes i had no issues while few days later i played a longer session and performance would tank. I then changed some settings, read some forum and tried again. In the meantime the system had cooled down so i thought the setting changed worked. But it probably didnt, it came all down to cooling.

I found this out by not changing settings and just checking if i can get a reliable framerate for the same mission repeatedly, when the PC is cool or hot. So the MSI software also changed some settings back after an update. Which made it even worse. At least i know the problem now. So much time wasted on changing DCS or OpenXR settings...

The easist way to fix this was to enable MAX cooler boost, or constant max cooling.

Edited by winghunter
  • Like 2

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

6 hours ago, Rosebud47 said:

Last thing I've done to get solid 45FPS and a absolutely clear image without artefacts or any shimmering is, dialing the texture quality in DCS down to medium and the ground textures to low. Mainly settings are at 100% OXRDT and MSAA 2x Motion smoothing activated and locked 45Hz in OXR Toolkit.

With these settings there are no general stutters, maybe random stutters from loading textures now and then, but not noticable all the time, even when looking left or right out of the cockpit.

Setting down the texture quality in DCS also makes the Hind flyable again with solid 45fps everywhere. The Apache now is the only module which dips down occasionally below 45fps, but above 40fps, what keeps the Apache flyable and not turning it into a stutter fest.

Another thing I've noticed due to the reduction of texture quality is, that after doing some TestFlights with different modules on different maps and then returning to the DCS main menu it takes a long time until the FPS got refreshed back to 90fps in the main menu at high texture settings. Now with medium texture and low ground texture, the refresh in the main menu to 90 fps is always instantly, as it should be.

So my conclusion is, that the texture setting in DCS does have a notcable impact on performance ( probably better handling in some texture cache or maybe V-Ram usage of the Graphics adapter... can't say...don´t know ... just observing the effects )

The downside of reducing the texture quality is, that the buildings an hangars on the map now lost some life like quality looking,... just lacking of quality textures, but that's the trade off - the cockpits and external models of the modules as well the targets, like tanks, SAM, etc. don't have a lack of quality as far as I could say from some flying.

It's up to each one, what is more preferable in VR. For me with a 3080Ti running it is at the moment more preferable a clear, crisp, shimmering-free and flawless image at solid 45FPS as an optimum for reprojection locked at 45Hz and an absolutely stutter-free and smooth experience on 95% every module and scenario.

Yes I am running the same texture settings. Increasing either one brings a big hit to performance and not so much of a visual gain. Dialed the OXRDT down to 70% and have MSAA 4x.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Did they latest DCS update break this?  I updated today and now DCS is starting with SteamVR.  So I went through the process again and DCS will load in 3D onto the monitor, but the helmet display stays blank....

8 hours ago, winghunter said:

So I've finnaly found the TRUE source of my framerate dips. Had nothing to do with MR on or off. It was my MSI motherboard and its <profanity>ty software that caused thermal throttling in some situations, like longer than 1h sessions or GPU heavy maps. So sometimes i had no issues while few days later i played a longer session and performance would tank. I then changed some settings, read some forum and tried again. In the meantime the system had cooled down so i thought the setting changed worked. But it probably didnt, it came all down to cooling.

I found this out by not changing settings and just checking if i can get a reliable framerate for the same mission repeatedly, when the PC is cool or hot. So the MSI software also changed some settings back after an update. Which made it even worse. At least i know the problem now. So much time wasted on changing DCS or OpenXR settings...

The easist way to fix this was to enable MAX cooler boost, or constant max cooling.

Thank you very much! I had the very same problems. And guess on what Mainboard I am... 

So you just boosted the fan speed? 

• Like 1

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

26 minutes ago, Ski01 said:

Did they latest DCS update break this?  I updated today and now DCS is starting with SteamVR.  So I went through the process again and DCS will load in 3D onto the monitor, but the helmet display stays blank....

No, the latest version of dcs does not per say break this. However, if you have not reinstalled the mod, those mod files might get overwritten, so you may need to reapply them. Use a mod manager.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 hours ago, exil said:

Thank you very much! I had the very same problems. And guess on what Mainboard I am... 

So you just boosted the fan speed? 

yes, luckily i dont hear the cooler when wearing the G2. I switch it off after the session. This even gave me 3-4 fps extra performance and you can toggle it while playing.

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

2 hours ago, Ski01 said:

Don't forget to make the changes to the .ini file

First, you make a folder where you can keep a backup of the .dll and .ini files that work for you, and drag em over after DCS updates.  Then you'll wonder if there's a way to automate that process.  There is. 

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Guys, I think I need your support as I'm running out of ideas what else can I try in DCS to get it fixed. I fell in love in Open Composite and my DCS ever since I gave it a try. Silky smooth, stable 45fps on my not so beefy i7@10700/RTX3070/32Gb, very good visuals even on 70%OXR, pure joy... Then I realized it's that good only on the first flight/mission I run. Whenever I start another mission FPS drops to 10-17 and slideshow begins. Cleaned up, repaired, turned OXR Toolkit of and on, MR on and off, different maps, different graphic settings etc. Turns out it happens only when I use OpenXR w/ MR turned on. Every second mission onward FPS drops until I restart the whole app. Sometimes it helps to start a mission on a different map, but another mission on that map will be impacted.

Obviously I'm not 100% sure it is caused by Open Composite, might be the reason lays somewhere else. Initially I suspected my resources limitations, throttling, etc. However it's not the case, resources usage gets even lower when the issue occurs, moreover the duration of the program running doesn't seem to have any impact. To reproduce the issue it's usually enough to spend 5 min in free flight on Syria, exit, run the same free flight again and boom, instant 10fps plus slideshow...

Not sure there is a way to restart the VR session without quitting the DCS like ctrl+tab in MSFS, anyways, tried alt+tab and didn't help. Any ideas? Has anyone encountered anything alike?

27 minutes ago, winghunter said:

Sounds like the old "restart mission" DCS bug. Lowering terrain textures to low helped me, but doesnt look too great. Otherwise restart DCS to clear VRAM.

Seems the same symptoms although I've yet to experience the problem with OXR.

Have you got HAGS enabled?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

40 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Have you got HAGS enabled?

36 minutes ago, winghunter said:

HAGS off, game mode off, and disabled all the xbox crap.

Thanks for your replies. All disabled long ago. The issue looks motion repro related. when MR is turned off fps seems more stable (50-55) despite multiple runs, however still jittery by the fact of low framerate of course.

I was talking about @yogibaboojust happend to be you that I quoted 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Someone please try this...

This is gonna be long winded and somewhat hair brained, but hear me out.

I've been awed by the clarity of this OXR experiment for a couple weeks now. But I got bored yesterday and decided to take a peak back at SteamVR/WMR for SteamVR.

So I toggled off OXR and any other mod I use in OvGME, did a DCS repair install and enabled the old FHolger FSR. At first I was thinking "ok...SVR never looked THIS bad" but then noticed fpsVR was reporting 9ms GPU frametime flying FA-18 over Caucuses... so I thought "maybe I have res set too low and saw that it was 100%/100% according to fpsVR.

So I began bumping it up, restarting DCS and checking the reported fpsVR resolution, trying to get the cockpit back to what I remember as "clear". I wasn't quite there yet so I increased the per game res to 150%. Restarted DCS, I'm still only 14-16ms GPUft according to fpsVR.

I'm scratching my head now because in the past, that would put me north of 20ms GPU frame time and the jittering would be unbearable.

But I kept going... in the end I was at 100% global and 200% per game. Cockpit was now looking very nice. But I still was sub 20 ms GPU frametime.

In the end fpsVR was reporting a res of 4604x4512 🤔

So now I'm thinking, "has swapping back n forth like this somehow recalibrated my G2?"

I leave all that as it were, and begin the process to switch back to OpenXR. Toggle off all mods & OpenFSR, repair install...

Start OpenXR Tools and notice slider is still at 80% where I left it, but decide to move it to 100%. Launch DCS.

I immediately notice the opening menu is OUT FREAKING STANDING! I mean it looked good before but NOW!

So I checked the toolkit GUI, everything is how I'd left it. FPS at that screen is 90ms...fair enough.

Now I start my usual test mission, FA-18 free flight/ Caucuses.

I am blown away at the visuals.. more so than before. So I jump into Runway Start AH-64 Nevada and start flying around watching the fps counter while I tight circle over the nearest town/base... and it will not move (I'm not running MR), it stays right at 45fps and there is NO jitter.

But that's not the best part... the resolution "visually" is off the charts. I have NEVER seen so clearly in DCS. The MFDs in the A-10C II TGP & MAV are incredible. While flying around the Hog Nevada Free flight, Weapons Practice, I'm showing 88-90fps, smooth as glass.

I fire off a Mav and switch to weapon view (F6), scroll zoom in on the weapon and pan around it thinking I'm crazy, but I had never been able to read basically every bit of text on the missile, or zoom in THIS close with just the mouse scroll wheel. Usually that would require max scroll wheel zoom and press the VR zoom.

I'm not smart enough to figure out what has changed, but something clearly has.

I ran through several F-16 trainers just for fun and again, I was blown away at the visuals. Especially the details of enemy planes exploding and falling to earth in a trail of fire, smoke and parts. I KNOW I've never seen THIS detail before.

I wish I knew how to record what I'm seeing through the G2. It's simply incredible.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

I have switched from OXR to SVR and back again (not recently though) and can't say that I've noticed a significant difference between the two generally (apart from the increased clarity from OXR).

I have however noticed sometimes that when switching from one to the other there seems to be some sort of corruption, whether that's left over shaders or whatever but once figured out it all comes clear. Some sort of headset calibration could be part of it I guess but I couldn't state as fact.

In OXR I have always been able to read the text on missiles in F6 view though and all of the MFDs and dials are all perfectly legible. I'm sure I've seen the same in SVR but with more aliasing, muddier textures and less stable frametimes.

@Sr. haha I did the exact same thing yesterday, kind of on a bet.  Went back into SVR, ran it up to 200% with FSR running and, you know, it ran.  Afterwards I felt... I dunno.  Like I wanted to take a shower.  It's like LA on a smoggy day, you know?  Dropped back into OXR and it's like the sun came out or something.

I love messing with this stuff but there's a purity and clarity that comes from just running the G2 at native resolution, of not trying to tart it up with all kinda weird combinations of supersampling, aa, scaling, yada yada.  Just let the durn thing run, I mean right out of the box it's a pretty amazing view

I have convinced myself that ED is slipping in VR optimizations without saying anything.  I spawned in to my NTTR test run the other day and was showing 90FPS on the counter right at the beginning.  wtf, I didn't do anything... at least I don't think I did...

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Just now, DeltaMike said:

@Sr. haha I did the exact same thing yesterday, kind of on a bet.  Went back into SVR, ran it up to 200% with FSR running and, you know, it ran.  Afterwards I felt... I dunno.  Like I wanted to take a shower.  It's like LA on a smoggy day, you know?  Dropped back into OXR and it's like the sun came out or something.

I love messing with this stuff but there's a purity and clarity that comes from just running the G2 at native resolution, of not trying to tart it up with all kinda weird combinations of supersampling, aa, scaling, yada yada.  Just let the durn thing run, I mean right out of the box it's a pretty amazing view

I have convinced myself that ED is slipping in VR optimizations without saying anything.  I spawned in to my NTTR test run the other day and was showing 90FPS on the counter right at the beginning.  wtf, I didn't do anything... at least I don't think I did...

I know, right?  🙂

13 minutes ago, edmuss said:

In OXR I have always been able to read the text on missiles in F6 view though and all of the MFDs and dials are all perfectly legible. I'm sure I've seen the same in SVR but with more aliasing, muddier textures and less stable frametimes.

Same here... just not like THIS time.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

Sorry if this question is covered before.

When I´m out of VR for short time (maybe 5 minutes or so), and I put again the headset, my G2 screen is black.

I suppose is some kind of sleep time or something like that. I check in WMR settings and sleep time (or suspension) is set to "Never". Any other settings that I missed?

Thanks in advance! By the way, very nice updgrade, I get 5 or 6 more fps in my 12700k/3090 rig, but in VR every frame counts, hehe...

On 3/17/2022 at 4:33 AM, nikoel said:

OpenXR for WMR Headsets & others - Quickstart Guide

Please read these additional requirements and steps that might apply to you

Don't use the in-game settings to increase PD, use the OpenXR dev tool. It must be left at 1.0

Some people have an old version of OpenXR installed. This is especially the case if you in the past have run MSFS and/or beta/early releases of VR applications and windows. For some people it refuses to update. If performance is bad, do the following: Remove all three apps (screenshot below) and install OpenXR Developer tools. Then navigate to the right most tab inside the Tools App which gives you a link to install the OpenXR Runtime via the Windows Store (something that I could not find by searching the store alone) - Install that, don't bother with the toolkit and launch DCS. Once performance is confirmed to be better, you may install the Toolkit

image.png

I am really confused.  Of the three apps in the screen shot above, both "OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality" and "OpenXR Toolkit" are installed on my PC. However, I cannot find "OpenXR for Windows Mixed Reality" in the MS Store. I thought maybe it came installed as a default app, but I don't see it on my PC.   

Would someone help me understand what I am missing?

Edited by Cab

11 minutes ago, Cab said:

I am really confused.  Of the three apps in the screen shot above, both "OpenXR Developer Tools for Windows Mixed Reality" and "OpenXR Toolkit" are installed on my PC. However, I cannot find "OpenXR for Windows Mixed Reality" in the MS Store. I thought maybe it came installed as a default app, but I don't see it on my PC.   

Would someone help me understand what I am missing?

you need these 2 

https://www.microsoft.com/store/productId/9N5CVVL23QBT

Screenshot 2022-04-17 074851.jpg

--Arthur C Clark