OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

15 minutes ago, loiphin said:

Nightstorm , the launcher still needs to download some files  from gitlab, so it doesnt help.

Well then...how about this?  The files are already downloaded and included.  This is my dropbox.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vy949av2bim6b5a/OpenComposite.7z?dl=0

The readme file I put in the Runtime folder for future reference if a manual install is needed.  That wasn't from the original download.  Just the bin folder and it's contents.

Edited by Nightstorm

3 hours ago, Nightstorm said:

Well then...how about this?  The files are already downloaded and included.  This is my dropbox.

The readme file I put in the Runtime folder for future reference if a manual install is needed.  That wasn't from the original download.  Just the bin folder and it's contents.

Cheers Nightstorm, looks like that might just work. 

Edited by ThatPieMan

I recommend running the OpenComposite.exe on drive C. For some reason, when tried on drive D or E, DCS not started in VR mode at all.

• Like 1

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

21 minutes ago, coldViPer said:

I recommend running the OpenComposite.exe on drive C. For some reason, when tried on drive D or E, DCS not started in VR mode at all.

I think it's more about not moving it from where it's initially run... 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Hey fellas

As a 100K viewer special I've added instructions on how to get FSR working for those of you who are experiencing crashes (these instructions are courtesy of Mbucchia) - he did say that I was really up-selling it's effects and that it might have done good for some? So far the overwhelming majority has reported decreases in both image quality (shimmering and clarity) and decrease in performance. Please let us know if it has gained image quality/performance for you

On a different note, is anyone using any of the AMD Graphics toggles and seen an increase in performance or image quality inside VR?

image.png

• Like 1

3) Download OpenComposite: https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr - scroll down to 'System Wide Installation' and download
( Direct link https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/runtimeswitcher.php?branch=openxr )

• Extract the folder and put it somewhere safe (eg. Desktop or Documents folder) Then run OpenComposite.exe 

-----------------------

sorry but maybe a noob question: i have downloaded the "runtimeswitcher.php" but how do you extract things from php?

3 minutes ago, Tony86 said:

3) Download OpenComposite: https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr - scroll down to 'System Wide Installation' and download
( Direct link https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/runtimeswitcher.php?branch=openxr )

• Extract the folder and put it somewhere safe (eg. Desktop or Documents folder) Then run OpenComposite.exe 

-----------------------

sorry but maybe a noob question: i have downloaded the "runtimeswitcher.php" but how do you extract things from php?

you dont? theres a mistake in the link...probably because theres been too many downloads from it today. try this link instead

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

2 hours ago, nikoel said:

Hey fellas

As a 100K viewer special I've added instructions on how to get FSR working for those of you who are experiencing crashes (these instructions are courtesy of Mbucchia) - he did say that I was really up-selling it's effects and that it might have done good for some? So far the overwhelming majority has reported decreases in both image quality (shimmering and clarity) and decrease in performance. Please let us know if it has gained image quality/performance for you

On a different note, is anyone using any of the AMD Graphics toggles and seen an increase in performance or image quality inside VR?

image.png

I have found pretty much all the Radeon graphics settings to be ineffective. Frame rate control doesn’t work for me either. 

FSR seems to work well for me in openXR. As long as I don’t overdo it there is a negligible image decrease at 85-90% but a fairly decent performance gain.

The absolute must for me with my settings is Chill. This locks the frame time on the gpu to 22ms which gives a constant 45fps. Then as long as my cpu is producing better than 22ms times there is no microstutters and it’s perfectly smooth. I tuned the gpu with graphics settings that guarantee better than 45fps then just tune the stuff that affects cpu to keep it within as well. I can see all of this nicely in the openXR display. Easy to monitor and see what’s going on. 

1 hour ago, TED said:

I have found pretty much all the Radeon graphics settings to be ineffective. Frame rate control doesn’t work for me either. 

FSR seems to work well for me in openXR. As long as I don’t overdo it there is a negligible image decrease at 85-90% but a fairly decent performance gain.

The absolute must for me with my settings is Chill. This locks the frame time on the gpu to 22ms which gives a constant 45fps. Then as long as my cpu is producing better than 22ms times there is no microstutters and it’s perfectly smooth. I tuned the gpu with graphics settings that guarantee better than 45fps then just tune the stuff that affects cpu to keep it within as well. I can see all of this nicely in the openXR display. Easy to monitor and see what’s going on. 

Yeah this has been my experience with those toggles as well. Thank you TED

17 hours ago, lefuneste01 said:

I still have the same conclusion : less fps on worst case with the AH64...So steamVR still rules...

Puzzling.  

Jabbers' video strongly argued the proposition that performance is tightly correlated with DCS frame size.  So far I've found the same relationship in OXR as in SVR.  I'm not convinced OXR gives you better frame times (maybe).  But in the testing I've done, the only time I got worse frametimes in OXR, was when I thought I was doing an apples-to-apples comparison, but in fact was not

Not that there's anything wrong with SVR or WMR.  I think there's something wrong with WMR4SVR but if that makes it possible for somebody to enjoy the game, then, cheers!

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

4 hours ago, TED said:

Agree.  I didn't test SAM since that's already been done to death.  My attitude is, I paid for it so I'm using it, dad-gum-it

@TED are you flying the Apache?  Seems like Chill could be a fantastic option for that module

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I ran open composite.exe after using skatezilla update utility to clean and do a long repair. It told me it can't copy a jester f14 mod to the dcs folder because it's not supported. I don't have any mods installed so I'm not sure why the skatezilla utility is giving me this after a full repair.

It worked fine last time. Ran open composite.exe and set the Runtime to open xr.

Deleted the D3DCompiler_47.dll. Launched dcs through my G2 as I would normally but it won't start in VR mode.

Might uninstall all the open xr stuff and try again.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

18 minutes ago, sze5003 said:

I ran open composite.exe after using skatezilla update utility to clean and do a long repair. It told me it can't copy a jester f14 mod to the dcs folder because it's not supported. I don't have any mods installed so I'm not sure why the skatezilla utility is giving me this after a full repair.

It worked fine last time. Ran open composite.exe and set the Runtime to open xr.

Deleted the D3DCompiler_47.dll. Launched dcs through my G2 as I would normally but it won't start in VR mode.

Same issue on my end too. I think it's the latest patch as I just updated today and this was working fine last time i played. I replaced the necessary files as you mentioned above and the game wont start in VR mode.

Let me know if you nail this down. 

21 minutes ago, sze5003 said:

I got it working.

In your DCS folder, you will see a series of backups, which the installer backs up all of the foreign files.  Look at BIN you should have the openvr dll file. Copy that back into your bin directory, came right up!

5 hours ago, TED said:

Same here on the Radeon settings.

Chill does work but I haven't used it since I switched to running my G2 at 60Hz, now I have incredible clarity, smooth flight and no need for motion repro.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

I got it working.

In your DCS folder, you will see a series of backups, which the installer backs up all of the foreign files.  Look at BIN you should have the openvr dll file. Copy that back into your bin directory, came right up!

That's odd because my regular bin folder already has a openvr_api.dll file.

Wouldn't copying the one from a backup folder mean we are using an older version?

I did also update dcs this morning so maybe that's why it isn't working.

What if I delete all the backup folders?

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

9 minutes ago, sze5003 said:

That's odd because my regular bin folder already has a openvr_api.dll file.

Wouldn't copying the one from a backup folder mean we are using an older version?

I did also update dcs this morning so maybe that's why it isn't working.

What if I delete all the backup folders?

backup the newer openvr.dll , just move it to the desktop and copy the one in your latest backup over to the DCS/bin directory

Curiously enough, after updating DCS last night I ran it in SVR again before putting 0.6.3 back in and for identical settings I was getting 3-4ms less GPU frametimes with OXR. Obviously OXR is still far clearer on the textures.

Now previously I've done back to back tests and gotten pretty much identical GPU performance so perhaps something in the update is better suited to OXR?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

backup the newer openvr.dll , just move it to the desktop and copy the one in your latest backup over to the DCS/bin directory
Ok I suppose if this is the only way to get it working again, using the old file.

I uninstalled everything and reinstalled several times and it does seem like the new file that gets put in the bin folder is the issue.

3 hours ago, DeltaMike said:

Puzzling.  

Jabbers' video strongly argued the proposition that performance is tightly correlated with DCS frame size.  So far I've found the same relationship in OXR as in SVR.  I'm not convinced OXR gives you better frame times (maybe).  But in the testing I've done, the only time I got worse frametimes in OXR, was when I thought I was doing an apples-to-apples comparison, but in fact was not

Not that there's anything wrong with SVR or WMR.  I think there's something wrong with WMR4SVR but if that makes it possible for somebody to enjoy the game, then, cheers!

My simple test case : Ah64 / quick mission / runway start / go to CPG station. With steamVR I have 30 fps, so things are ok. With OpenXR it's less than these 30 fps, so either stuttering or 20 fps with reproj. Both of them are nogo. I do not care about high fps, I set my Reverg @60Hz. My target is to never go below 30 fps with reproj and have 60 fps with no reproj when it's possible. Conclusion of my testing with openXR and AH64 are : some cases at 20 fps and never 60 fps...At the opposite I had my target with steamVR.

My guessing is OpenXR is depending more of CPU than SteamVR. And most of situation for which I have low fps in DCS are linked to CPU saturation (from what I can see in fpsVR), especially with the AH64.

P8700K @4.8 GHz, 3080ti, 32 GB RAM, HP reverb Pro.

I spend my time making 3dmigoto VR mods for BoS and DCS instead of flying, see https://www.patreon.com/lefuneste

It was mentioned before, but for anyone using an amd gpu, be sure to set your minimum clock speed to 100 below the max clock speed via adrenaline software. I just upgraded my cpu and adrenaline had reset all the previous settings and I couldn’t understand why I was getting some jitters. Reset the minimum clock speed and all gone, back to total smoothness. 

Edited by TED
  • Thanks 1

Guys, I wanna you to test something if youre using GHub (probably any mouse software have that option) and change Mouse Report Rate (my was set to 1000) to 125 - my CPU usage previously was spiking to 15% when moving cursor fast, and on 125 it never goes higher than 6-7% CPU (all). Thats only with Chrome open, gonna test DCS performance without those spiking CPU mouse...

image.png

Have Polish version, but saying about bottom option.

Edited by TylerPL666
  • Like 1

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

Hello all. Thought I would just share here that after updating to the latest dcs world beta version this am, and re-setting up openxr, I could not get dcs to launch in VR mode. 

Replacing the openvr_api.dll file from a backup as suggested above fixed it for me too. 

Looks like the new file that came with the beta update is different. 

image.png

Edited by Feukair