OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

Windows update or AV kicking in?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

2 hours ago, X_legio said:

Nope, the situation was not changed from the day before that all was functioning perfectly.... 

Here's how I would approach it

1.  Deactivate Toolkit and turn off motion reprojection.  If that doesn't solve your problem, I don't think OXR can be blamed here.  

2.   De-activate ALL of your mods, then clean/repair DCS, clear your shaders files and try again.  If that solved your problem, first ask yourself if you need any mods.  With a few limited exceptions, OXR plays best without em.   If you must have your mods, add em back in one at a time to see if you can figure out which one it is and please post your results.  (If you aren't using a mod manager, you'll quickly see the benefits of using one.)

If that doesn't solve your problem, we're officially off topic.  But, to continue anyway --

3.  Check background processes.  For me, it's typically been something updating in the background.  Usually Steam (good riddance).  Winsimapp-pro is notorious for doing this.  Etc.  We all have a bajillion background processes running.  Check em.  The Startup tab in Task Manager is a good place to look. 

4.  Check your hardware profiles, especially if you're an AMD user.  AMD drivers have a mind of their own. 

5.  Malware scan

6.  Might need to ask on the hardware forum from there, but I could see the benefit of stress testing your system and checking your thermals first.  Look at CPU, GPU and SSD.  Thermal paste dries out, chips go bad, water coolers get bubbles.  

This is in order of relevance to the sub.  Personally I would check background processes first, malware second

Please put specs in your signature. 

ETA: in reference to edmuss' comment, I've seen performance tank when windows is ready to update, in other words if it's waiting for a reboot.  which, i imagine you already tried that

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Also a bit stuck after switching to the global install version with not being able to get WMR to connect to DCS.

- Ran a clean and repair

- Removed Saved Game Directory

- Installed Open Composite globally

- Selected runtime and confirmed DCS is listed in the Configuration

- Deleted D3DCompiler_47.dll

DCS starts in VR mode but there is no headset tracking and my G2 remains in the cliff house. If I switch back to steam it works fine.

What am I missing?

i9-12900KF, MSI Gaming Trio X 4090, Gigabyte Z690, G.Skill 64GB 3600MHz DDR4, 3 x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 Thermaltake ToughPower GF3 1000W PCIe Gen 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, NZXT Z73 AIO cooler, Meta Quest 3 VR headset, Virpil WarBRD + Virpil Constellation Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals.

Also a bit stuck after switching to the global install version with not being able to get WMR to connect to DCS.
- Ran a clean and repair
- Removed Saved Game Directory
- Installed Open Composite globally
- Selected runtime and confirmed DCS is listed in the Configuration
- Deleted D3DCompiler_47.dll
DCS starts in VR mode but there is no headset tracking and my G2 remains in the cliff house. If I switch back to steam it works fine.
What am I missing?

Can you clear your wmr environment in the settings section of wmr window?

Also try putting on the headset, opening the desktop app in the headset and then running dcs shortcut from there. I've had no issues doing it this way.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

8 minutes ago, sze5003 said:

Can you clear your wmr environment in the settings section of wmr window?

Also try putting on the headset, opening the desktop app in the headset and then running dcs shortcut from there. I've had no issues doing it this way.

I can clear the environment and run DCS from the desktop tool in WMR but still no connection made

i9-12900KF, MSI Gaming Trio X 4090, Gigabyte Z690, G.Skill 64GB 3600MHz DDR4, 3 x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 Thermaltake ToughPower GF3 1000W PCIe Gen 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, NZXT Z73 AIO cooler, Meta Quest 3 VR headset, Virpil WarBRD + Virpil Constellation Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals.

To be clear, this was working fine when I used open composite locally by replacing the bin folder dlls. Only now having converted to the new system wide mechanism am I seeing this failure to connect to WMR

i had this problem for a while i ended up uninstalling everything to do with openxr and reinstalling  

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

To be clear, this was working fine when I used open composite locally by replacing the bin folder dlls. Only now having converted to the new system wide mechanism am I seeing this failure to connect to WMR
It's odd that dcs starts in VR mode if your headset is not tracking. I had a similar issue but dcs would not launch in VR mode. I had to open the load section of open composite.exe and there I right clicked the dcs icon and set always use open rx runtime.

Closed everything down including wmr window and launched it again running dcs within the headset and it finally loaded.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I think I may have discovered a problem with opencomposite.exe (with the help of ColinM) where launching from Skatezilla sends you straight to flat screen. 

To review, the global install procedure is

1. Clean/repair DCS
  2. Download/run opencomposite.exe, set OXR as runtime
  3. Launch DCS

It should launch directly into OXR, and after you run it once, you can see it in the Config window, where you can right-click on it and specify its behavior.

Only problem is, if you launch DCS that first time from Skaetezilla, it'll launch with parameters --force_vr and --force_steam_vr.  I think that's why some of us get sent to flat screen mode the first time we run DCS and have to go back and set opencomposite.exe up all over again.  I imagine the same problem arises for people who purchased DCS from steam.

If you launch DCS without parameters (and "enable VR" checked), opencomposite.exe works perfectly.  And I can launch in VR from Skatezilla subsequently without any issues.  

Unknown if the same issue is present if SVR is not installed or is made read-only.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

I think I may have discovered a problem with opencomposite.exe (with the help of ColinM) where launching from Skatezilla sends you straight to flat screen. 
To review, the global install procedure is
  1. Clean/repair DCS
  2. Download/run opencomposite.exe, set OXR as runtime
  3. Launch DCS
It should launch directly into OXR, and after you run it once, you can see it in the Config window, where you can right-click on it and specify its behavior.
Only problem is, if you launch DCS that first time from Skaetezilla, it'll launch with parameters --force_vr and --force_steam_vr.  I think that's why some of us get sent to flat screen mode the first time we run DCS and have to go back and set opencomposite.exe up all over again.  I imagine the same problem arises for people who purchased DCS from steam.
If you launch DCS without parameters (and "enable VR" checked), opencomposite.exe works perfectly.  And I can launch in VR from Skatezilla subsequently without any issues.  
Unknown if the same issue is present if SVR is not installed or is made read-only.  
I never use skatezilla to launch dcs only to clean, do a long repair or update. I always launch dcs from the cliff house desktop app.

Anytime I've removed open xr completely, used skatezilla to do a long repair and clean, then reinstalled open composite.exe, the first time I launch dcs it starts up in steam VR or it starts in pancake mode. So then I quit and go to open composite.exe select load, and set dcs to use openxr there.

I always use Skate's and it works fine for me ... and VR is checked

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

anyone know anything about this error? also cant configure opencomposite.exe

openerror.jpg

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

32 minutes ago, sze5003 said:

I never use skatezilla to launch dcs only to clean, do a long repair or update. I always launch dcs from the cliff house desktop app.

Anytime I've removed open xr completely, used skatezilla to do a long repair and clean, then reinstalled open composite.exe, the first time I launch dcs it starts up in steam VR or it starts in pancake mode. So then I quit and go to open composite.exe select load, and set dcs to use openxr there.

There's making it as easy as possible for first time new users, and then there's dealing with the process for dealing with it every time DCS updates.  I'll probably just go back to using mod manager myself.

34 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

I always use Skate's and it works fine for me ... and VR is checked

Yeah for me, once it's set up and opencomposite has a DCS profile, Skatezilla works fine.  

3 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

openerror.jpg

Try deactivating toolkit, turn off motion reprojection, set resolution 100% and PD 1.0,  deactivate mods especially shader mods (all of em), repair DCS, delete extra files, try again

17 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

Try deactivating toolkit, turn off motion reprojection, set resolution 100% and PD 1.0,  deactivate mods especially shader mods (all of em), repair DCS, delete extra files, try again

Nope. Now the headset doesnt want to work, and Im getting a whole new error. Cant even open up the new DLL  and edit the two lines.

Really wish we could stick with one version that doesnt require constant updates and troubleshooting, this is making this hobby a constant struggle now.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

What's the best way to lock framerate with an nvidia GPU??

Does RTSS work?  Nvidia inspector??  Anything better?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

2 часа назад, Hammer1-1 сказал:

Nope. Now the headset doesnt want to work, and Im getting a whole new error. Cant even open up the new DLL  and edit the two lines.

Really wish we could stick with one version that doesnt require constant updates and troubleshooting, this is making this hobby a constant struggle now.

Are you on Oculus? Latest Open Composite doesn't work on Oculus with OXR Toolkit, it seems that for some reason Open Composite expects Vulkan as renderer and gets crashed with error -2 and  "unsupported graphics runtime" in the OXR Toolkit log.

It's a known bug, devs are working on it. Stick to 0.6.3 for now, works perfectly with latest OXR Toolkit.

Edited by Fiztex

check my sig. it worked before this update recently, and it worked flawlessly before they rebranded the whole OpenXR set.

17 minutes ago, Fiztex said:

Are you on Oculus? Latest Open Composite doesn't work on Oculus with OXR Toolkit, it seems that for some reason Open Composite expects Vulkan as renderer and gets crashed with error -2 and  "unsupported graphics runtime" in the OXR Toolkit log.

It's a known bug, devs are working on it. Stick to 0.6.3 for now, works perfectly with latest OXR Toolkit.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

47 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

What's the best way to lock framerate with an nvidia GPU??

Does RTSS work?  Nvidia inspector??  Anything better?

RTSS does work, however it also locks your CPU to 22ms (45fps) according to the OXRDT performance overlay.  I think this increased CPU time is just idle waiting for the 45Hz tick so I think doesn't actually matter but you need to be aware of it before you start panicing.  It's still not as smooth as > refresh rate because only rotational head movements are Vsynced, when above refresh you get both rotational and translational movement without ghosting.

It works well with helos but not so well with jets.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

3 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

openerror.jpg

just curious, do you have a D3DCompiler_47.dll file in your DCS bin dir?  rename it if you do.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I read in the thread a while back that there was some interest in locking the frame output of the GPU to 45 directly because it was even better than being framerate > refreshrate.

Is that true and if so what is the best way to lock the GPU to 30/45/60 depending on hardware capability?

Honestly I'm pretty sure I've NEVER experienced VR with absolutely no ghosting.  In any title.  Same with pancake displays...  I've never used a pancake that was >60hz refresh though and I've only ever seen 90hz VR while looking at the sky so that doesn't count either LOL...

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

4 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

just curious, do you have a D3DCompiler_47.dll file in your DCS bin dir?  rename it if you do.

deleted it the other day after the update, double checked to see if it was there again...it wasnt

My wallpaper and skins

4 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

I read in the thread a while back that there was some interest in locking the frame output of the GPU to 45 directly because it was even better than being framerate > refreshrate.

Is that true and if so what is the best way to lock the GPU to 30/45/60 depending on hardware capability.

Honestly I'm pretty sure I've NEVER experienced VR with absolutely no ghosting.  In any title.  Same with pancake displays...  I've never used a pancake that was >60hz refresh though and I've only ever seen 90hz VR while looking at the sky so that doesn't count either LOL...

All of this framerate locking is basing on having motion reprojection disabled.

Framerate > refreshrate will always be the best for image quality and stability regardless of that being 90, 72 or 60.  Locking to half refresh (45 at 90Hz, 30 at 60Hz is uncomfortable) is better than < refreshrate > 1/2 refreshrate but still not as solid as refresh rate but you still get ghosting.  If you're above refresh then you should have no ghosting at all.

As far as I'm aware, RTSS is the only option for Nvidea.

9 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

i had this problem for a while i ended up uninstalling everything to do with openxr and reinstalling  

No such luck here unfortunately. I have done a complete removal of all OpenXR related tooling and reinstalled and have the same issue. MSFS kicks into OpenXR instantly with no problems... which was exactly how well DCS was working for me prior to the new global install option

I have now tried completely removing OpenXR and reinstalling, completely removing DCS and reinstalling, replacing the local openvr_api.dll instead of the global installer option. In all cases DCS simply starts in flat screen mode as though my headset were not even connected. 

The instant I switch back to SteamVR it works perfectly again

Edited by nilpointer