OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

1 hour ago, nikoel said:

Likely culprit is a failure to follow instructions. Did not delete (or replace if using alternative method of installing latest build) D3DCompiler_47.dll 

I did rename it and used the only D3Dcompiler_47 file I could find listed in the first page from V.04 since the original composite download file didnt have the D3D file int here. I watched VR Flight Sim GUys video and his compsoite folder already had the D3D file in there he dragged into the bin folder.

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

3 hours ago, BMGZ06 said:

I did rename it and used the only D3Dcompiler_47 file I could find listed in the first page from V.04 since the original composite download file didnt have the D3D file int here. I watched VR Flight Sim GUys video and his compsoite folder already had the D3D file in there he dragged into the bin folder.

Oh god! Forget those videos. There are two videos on YouTube how to install OpenXR and both are either outdated, wrong, or skip steps and should not be used. If you combined what you have "learned" from them with the instructions on here you may end up with a non working instance of DCS

Best thing is to start from scratch and use either the new systemwide install (outlined on the first page) or per app install, outlined a few pages back 

Edited by nikoel

1 hour ago, nikoel said:

Oh god! Forget those videos. There are two videos on YouTube how to install OpenXR and both are either outdated, wrong, or skip steps and should not be used. If you combined what you have "learned" from them with the instructions on here you may end up with a non working instance of DCS

Best thing is to start from scratch and use either the new systemwide install (outlined on the first page) or per app install, outlined a few pages back 

I didnt follow the videos instructions at all. I did what it said on the first page. 

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

dcs2.png

dcs.png

Where does it say you should use some other D3Dcompiler? All it says is you need to rename or delete it. In other words, you did not follow the instructions.

Hope this helps 🙂

Edited by TZeer

6 hours ago, nikoel said:

Is it worth updating the instructions with some troubleshooting or known pitfalls? This is in the openxr readme:

null

image.png

i9-13900k (stock), ASUS TUF 4090 OC, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, Corsair Vengeance Black 64GB 5200MHz DDR5, 1 x 1TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x 2TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB SATA III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W PCIe GEN 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, Corsair AIO iLink cooler, Corsair Graphite 780t Full Tower ATX Case (White), Meta Quest Pro VR headset, Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" UltraWide Dual Quad HD 240Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, Thrustmaster Viper Mission Pack, Thrustmaster Cougar F-16 throttle, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Thrustmaster F-18 stick, Thrustmaster TPR rudder, Winwing ICP, Edifer e25HD Luna HD speakers. 1 Gbps uplink and downlink FTTP. Windows 11. Hot tub, hot wife. Living the dream!

1 hour ago, slughead said:

Is it worth updating the instructions with some troubleshooting or known pitfalls? This is in the openxr readme:

null

image.png

I am a bit split on this

It's no problem at all to add this, but all I will be doing is doubling up on the same step that is already outlined in the guide. (Have a look at number 5)

One could argue that I have already quadrupled up on how important it is to start with a clean installation of DCS - but the guide is already quite long, I have a suspicion that people are not following it partially because they can't be bothered going through it properly. So the last thing I want to do is make it longer with additions [if one would follow those instructions] would serve no purpose. With each small iteration I try to condense it more and remove the deadwood whilst still preserving the core information for those who never heard of OpenXR and what it does in DCS

Walking a fine line between making it idiot proof, simple but also not the size of the Encyclopedia Britannica. The old OpenXR videos refuse to die, get re-shared and self promoted every other day on reddit and thus the perpetual circle of life ensues

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am a bit split on this
It's no problem at all to add this, but all I will be doing is doubling up on the same step that is already outlined in the guide. (Have a look at number 5)
One could argue that I have already quadrupled up on how important it is to start with a clean installation of DCS - but the guide is already quite long, I have a suspicion that people are not following it partially because they can't be bothered going through it properly. So the last thing I want to do is make it longer with additions [if one would follow those instructions] would serve no purpose. With each small iteration I try to condense it more and remove the deadwood whilst still preserving the core information for those who never heard of OpenXR and what it does in DCS
Walking a fine line between making it idiot proof, simple but also not the size of the Encyclopedia Britannica. The old OpenXR videos refuse to die, get re-shared and self promoted every other day on reddit and thus the perpetual circle of life ensues
I think the current guide is great. I never used the skatezilla utility before but it definitely helps to do a proper repair. The importance is selecting to look for extra files too.

I think adding a short section at the bottom about dcs starting in 2d mode would help as I've seen a few people including myself run into that. It was a matter of opening open composite.exe, selecting load and then selecting the dcs icon and right clicking 'always run with openvr'.

I think after people do all the steps in the guide the expectation may be that dcs is good to launch in VR mode from the start. I've ran through the guide after each dcs update/clean/repair and I've always had to do this step to get it to launch properly because the first time I launch it starts in steamvr or 2d mode.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

The thing is... and whilst your guide is thorough, perhaps too detailed. People like a simple bullet pointed single line list.

I was thinking if you put a screenshot of the error in your guide where they should delete the d3d file, they will be instantly drawn to it should they have skipped over that step. You know the saying... a picture paints a thousand words. Just thought it might save the continuous pleas for help of the same error.

• Like 2

i9-13900k (stock), ASUS TUF 4090 OC, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, Corsair Vengeance Black 64GB 5200MHz DDR5, 1 x 1TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x 2TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB SATA III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W PCIe GEN 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, Corsair AIO iLink cooler, Corsair Graphite 780t Full Tower ATX Case (White), Meta Quest Pro VR headset, Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" UltraWide Dual Quad HD 240Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, Thrustmaster Viper Mission Pack, Thrustmaster Cougar F-16 throttle, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Thrustmaster F-18 stick, Thrustmaster TPR rudder, Winwing ICP, Edifer e25HD Luna HD speakers. 1 Gbps uplink and downlink FTTP. Windows 11. Hot tub, hot wife. Living the dream!

OK, i did a repair as well and after this my game did not start. In the opening post the downloadlink is gone where i can download the OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.6.3.zip file. Good luck i have saved the 0.6.3 file so i pastet the files and it ran again.

But: Where do i get new files? is 0.6.3 the latest version?

This, shown in the screenshot doesnt work. No DCS Icon appears for me

image.png.bed136175bc434f62c037699ab90bd99.png

Edited by Eisprinzessin

Specs:
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-12900K   3.20 GHz,  RAM 128 GB, Win11 Home, RTX3080Ti

4 hours ago, Eisprinzessin said:

OK, i did a repair as well and after this my game did not start. In the opening post the downloadlink is gone where i can download the OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.6.3.zip file. Good luck i have saved the 0.6.3 file so i pastet the files and it ran again.

But: Where do i get new files? is 0.6.3 the latest version?

This, shown in the screenshot doesnt work. No DCS Icon appears for me

image.png.bed136175bc434f62c037699ab90bd99.png

Re-read Step 4. Thoroughly (in fact I would recommend you read the first post entirely as you are trying to combine old and new methods and seem to think that you need to drag and drop files)

0.6.3 is a version of a branch that no longer gets any updates or support by the developers

Edited by nikoel

On 5/11/2022 at 8:14 PM, MartinVoy said:

I wish ED did something to optimise for VR. Every update we get hit on FPS. I had stable 45FPS before last update, now 30 barely. The same settings, just ED updated DCS...

I owe an apology to ED. So I do, I apologise. 

Just after last DCS update I did install Winwing Orion base and it's software. It appears SimApp Pro (WW software) needs to communicate with DCS two way (in/out) which causes massive spikes in CPU FPS/timeframe. The video below saved me a lot of fuss finally. 

• Like 1

System spec: Windows 10 Pro / i7-12700K / 3080Ti / 64GB / m2 SSD / Orion F16 Throttle / TM Warthog Stick / TPR Rudders / JetSeat / Reverb G2.

First, thanks a lot for the guide. I recently switched to the G2 so I never knew what it was like with SteamVR, but OpenXR works awesome on my end, 60-70 fps on free flight Syria and the image definition is a massive, massive step up from the Rift S.

The only issue I have is with motion reprojection. I read the various posts about it, and I understand it's not intended to work well at the time, and I shouldn't need it anyway with a beefy PC and FPS constantly in the 50+ range. The thing is, I kinda need it, otherwise I see a lot of ghosting when things start moving around: the landscape flying by outside the cockpit, or the whole cockpit if I translate my head around, everything is kinda duplicated and blurry and makes the scene look much less fluid than it really is. Indeed the reprojection from OpenXR works as bad as advertised: fps go down in the 20 range, and the whole image is warped around whenever something moves (even when it doesn't)

With the Rift S I needed to have ASW on at all times to avoid the exact same issue. At 90 fps the problem goes away entirely, but maintaining 90 fps in DCS is an issue...

So my question is: is there any way to make it work without going back to SteamVR? Or maybe I'm too used to high refresh rates and I should just learn to deal with it?

My best solution at this time is to limit the fps at 45 using radeon chill, the ghosting is less pronounced this way but still present at all times.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by 92nd-MajorBug
92nd Kodiak Air Force - May the Greuh be with you

On 5/12/2022 at 6:39 PM, BMGZ06 said:

I just installed everything and did the clean repair through Skates updater utility. I am getting these frequent crash messages now.

Capture.JPG

Please make sure you have done everything following the smallest steps - I had the same issues, I had fresh Windows install and fresh DCS install, nothing else on PC. It was crashing and giving me all sorts of errors. It turned out I installed Windows from my USB stick and it was a little bit outdated - this morning Windows updated itself and everything works perfect. Then I read somewhere in between lines on the first page in the description that Windows must be up to date... My bad, my fault.
Maybe you're missing some one little thing...

EDIT: I stand corrected - Open XR Toolkit crashes my game and wouldn't let it to start.

Edited by MartinVoy

System spec: Windows 10 Pro / i7-12700K / 3080Ti / 64GB / m2 SSD / Orion F16 Throttle / TM Warthog Stick / TPR Rudders / JetSeat / Reverb G2.

1 hour ago, 92nd-MajorBug said:

First, thanks a lot for the guide. I recently switched to the G2 so I never knew what it was like with SteamVR, but OpenXR works awesome on my end, 60-70 fps on free flight Syria and the image definition is a massive, massive step up from the Rift S.

The only issue I have is with motion reprojection. I read the various posts about it, and I understand it's not intended to work well at the time, and I shouldn't need it anyway with a beefy PC and FPS constantly in the 50+ range. The thing is, I kinda need it, otherwise I see a lot of ghosting when things start moving around: the landscape flying by outside the cockpit, or the whole cockpit if I translate my head around, everything is kinda duplicated and blurry and makes the scene look much less fluid than it really is. Indeed the reprojection from OpenXR works as bad as advertised: fps go down in the 20 range, and the whole image is warped around whenever something moves (even when it doesn't)

With the Rift S I needed to have ASW on at all times to avoid the exact same issue. At 90 fps the problem goes away entirely, but maintaining 90 fps in DCS is an issue...

So my question is: is there any way to make it work without going back to SteamVR? Or maybe I'm too used to high refresh rates and I should just learn to deal with it?

My best solution at this time is to limit the fps at 45 using radeon chill, the ghosting is less pronounced this way but still present at all times.

Thanks in advance!

It'll actually work a little better if you keep it below 60fps, I get the best results at 50.  Try turning up your resolution until your frame times are about 20 consistently on the map you're usually flying.

OTOH if you're consistently above 60fps, you could try running your headset at 60hz

It's not possible to make it perfectly smooth, talk to me when we can consistently run DCS at 90fps.  Maybe with the next gen GPU's

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Thank you for this topic.
I did everything as in the description and it works great until I install Open XR Toolkit (I tried the newest one and some oldest too) - I get this message when trying to run the game no matter what version of Open Toolkit I use. (edit: if I'd uninstall Open XR Toolkit, the game runs with no problems).
Any clue, what might be the problem? 

(i7-12700k/RTX3080Ti/64GB) DCS Open Beta. (edit: I run Reverb G2)

Untitled.png

Edited by MartinVoy

In addition to what I stated above: it also gives this error in Windows Mixed Reality if Open XR Toolkit is installed. If I'd uninstall Open XR Toolkit, it would be without any errors in this window.

Untitled2.png

Edited by MartinVoy

1 hour ago, MartinVoy said:

Thank you for this topic.
I did everything as in the description and it works great until I install Open XR Toolkit (I tried the newest one and some oldest too) - I get this message when trying to run the game no matter what version of Open Toolkit I use. (edit: if I'd uninstall Open XR Toolkit, the game runs with no problems).
Any clue, what might be the problem? 

(i7-12700k/RTX3080Ti/64GB) DCS Open Beta.

Untitled.png

Are you running Quest 2? Have you had FSR/NIS enabled at any stage with OpenXR Toolkit?

Edited by nikoel

4 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Are you running Quest 2? Have you had FSR/NIS enabled at any stage with OpenXR Toolkit?

I forgot to mention, I run Reverb G2. 
I can't run OpenXR Toolkit in game and I can't set FSR/NIS.

I can open Open XR Toolkit outside the game only. When I do, I get this message: "Error: Failed to querry version" and then OpenXR Toolkit would open. I use 1.1.0 version, but older would give the same message to me.

Edited by MartinVoy

3 hours ago, MartinVoy said:

Please make sure you have done everything following the smallest steps - I had the same issues, I had fresh Windows install and fresh DCS install, nothing else on PC. It was crashing and giving me all sorts of errors. It turned out I installed Windows from my USB stick and it was a little bit outdated - this morning Windows updated itself and everything works perfect. Then I read somewhere in between lines on the first page in the description that Windows must be up to date... My bad, my fault.
Maybe you're missing some one little thing...

EDIT: I stand corrected - Open XR Toolkit crashes my game and wouldn't let it to start.

Ya mine is fully updated. I just scrapped it and went back to Steamvr and everything is fine now. Performance is smoother as well.

• Like 1

All right, this is wired then.

I have a clean fresh updated Windows 10 Pro, clean fresh install of DCS.
I did everything according to the description and it gives me all sort of errors (please, see 2 posts above with the screenshots), and not running if OpenXR Toolkit is installed, but...

DCS doesn't care from what partition it is started, so I started my PC from a different partition where DCS is not even installed, but I have all sots of crap installed instead. Then I followed all OpenXR steps from the description in this post, then I started DCS manually in the same Windows system where DCS is not even installed (I just did look for DCS.exe in my games folder on the other partition and clicked it) - and everything works perfect!

So the question is, what am I missing on fresh installed and updated Windows with fresh/clean install of DCS?
Some Java runtime, some Framework, some file, anything comes to mind?

9 minutes ago, BMGZ06 said:

Ya mine is fully updated. I just scrapped it and went back to Steamvr and everything is fine now. Performance is smoother as well.

Honestly if you were to go back to the original, you would be better off and just stop updating IMO. I get solid 45 both eyes at max res in the Hind with this mod, and its great!

1 minute ago, MartinVoy said:

All right, this is wired then.

I have a clean fresh updated Windows 10 Pro, clean fresh install of DCS.
I did everything according to the description and it gives me all sort of errors (please, see 2 posts above with the screenshots), and not running if OpenXR Toolkit is installed, but...

DCS doesn't care from what partition it is started, so I started my PC from a different partition where DCS is not even installed, but I have all sots of crap installed instead. Then I followed all OpenXR steps from the description in this post, then I started DCS manually in the same Windows system where DCS is not even installed (I just did look for DCS.exe in my games folder on the other partition and clicked it) - and everything works perfect!

So the question is, what am I missing on fresh installed and updated Windows with fresh/clean install of DCS?
Some Java runtime, some Framework, some file, anything comes to mind?

You missed something the first time around from the sounds of it. DCS comes with all its runtimes needed to work, but you can get the rest of them from your windows update.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

All right - all my problems with OpenXR Toolkit not working sorted. 
It appears OpenXR Toolkit needs VisualC++ Redistributables that wasn't with Windows Installation Files, so it needs additional download after installing Windows.

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/troubleshooting.html#missing-visual-c-system-component

Thank you for all the help and support!

Edited by MartinVoy
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, MartinVoy said:

All right - all my problems with OpenXR Toolkit not working sorted. 
It appears OpenXR Toolkit needs VisualC++ Redistributables that wasn't with Windows Installation Files, so it needs additional download after installing Windows.

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/troubleshooting.html#missing-visual-c-system-component

Thank you for all the help and support!

Thanks mate. I have added this as an optional end step to the installation instructions in cases where it stops working

Also, I have a similar error. But everything works perfectly. To be fair I have the highly volatile AMD Preview drivers installed (which improve frame times by around 10%) so this might be the price of the deal with the AMD Driver Devil

In other news @DeltaMike surprise surprise is once again correct. I have tried with 55FPS locked. And the experience is significantly better. I wonder where the cutoff of early frames vs dropped frames is. I always thought that 45FPS would be the best, but I am obviously wrong. Now my best guess might be 59 or 58FPS?

null

image.png

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

• nikoel changed the title to [Update 15/5 Final] OpenXR Guide for WMR Headsets

That's what I'm thinking.  Way I see it, the problem is, we don't have "a" framerate, we have a distribution of framerates, and the challenge is to manage the tails.  If we want to avoid dropped frames, we need to keep that distribution between 45 and 60.  If we split the difference again, we come up with a target framerate of 52.5, or a frame time of 19ms. Which works for me, always has.  Slow enough to avoid dropped frames, fast enough to smooth out the horizon a little bit when I'm doing a barrel roll.  It's not perfect; nothing is in this game

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder