OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

7 hours ago, ackattacker said:

OpenXR acts as a common interface that bypasses the native SDKs. Oculus, Valve and Microsoft provide OpenXR runtimes. There can only be one runtime registered in the system at a time, that's what an OpenXR game will use. If you have the Oculus OpenXR runtime registered, all OpenXR games will be handled by the Oculus drivers. 

So my Oculus software settings tells me that it's using OpenXR as runtime. Does it use the OpenXR from within the DCS dir or another one installed somewhere else by Oculus?

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

58 minutes ago, tomeye said:

I checked yesterday and there was an update on the OXR dll but hard to say which version, how do you keep track of the versions now? Or you use the open composite?

I don't think there is a formal release process at the moment. We are seeing new "builds" whenever a piece of code is committed to the code repository. You can see what has changed by following the commits on the opencomposite github:

Commits · openxr · Campbell Suter (ZNix) / OpenComposite · GitLab

i9-13900k (stock), ASUS TUF 4090 OC, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, Corsair Vengeance Black 64GB 5200MHz DDR5, 1 x 1TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x 2TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB SATA III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W PCIe GEN 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, Corsair AIO iLink cooler, Corsair Graphite 780t Full Tower ATX Case (White), Meta Quest Pro VR headset, Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" UltraWide Dual Quad HD 240Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, Thrustmaster Viper Mission Pack, Thrustmaster Cougar F-16 throttle, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Thrustmaster F-18 stick, Thrustmaster TPR rudder, Winwing ICP, Edifer e25HD Luna HD speakers. 1 Gbps uplink and downlink FTTP. Windows 11. Hot tub, hot wife. Living the dream!

My friend has problems getting the tool to run.

1. However, he has the standalone version - does that make sense at all, since the purpose of this tool is to run DCS without SteamVR, but he doesn't actually use SteamVR? (or does he have steamVR in the background? I don't know, because I have the Steam version myself).

2. anyway, DCS only ever starts in 2D for him via the skatezille tool. I advised him to start DCS via the WMR interface, but there he has no DCS shortcut at all. Is it possible to create such a shortcut/app in WMR?

Apologise if I have not read through all 1900 replies. I searched now for 2 hours but did not find any solution.

Edited by Rufuz64

35 minutes ago, Rufuz64 said:

1. However, he has the standalone version - does that make sense at all, since the purpose of this tool is to run DCS without SteamVR, but he doesn't actually use SteamVR? (or does he have steamVR in the background? I don't know, because I have the Steam version myself).

2. anyway, DCS only ever starts in 2D for him via the skatezille tool. I advised him to start DCS via the WMR interface, but there he has no DCS shortcut at all. Is it possible to create such a shortcut/app in WMR?

Apologise if I have not read through all 1900 replies. I searched now for 2 hours but did not find any solution.

I have the standalone version of DCS. You don't need steam running. You can launch directly from your shortcut on the start menu, no need to run up WMR first it will be started automatically. Skatezille? Nope I don't use that either. The guide in the first post is all you need. If you follow that to the letter, it works. Print it out, tick of each step as you go. To be fair, I think it could be cut down to a few lines to make it much simpler. All the waffle could be left underneath.

i9-13900k (stock), ASUS TUF 4090 OC, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, Corsair Vengeance Black 64GB 5200MHz DDR5, 1 x 1TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x 2TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB SATA III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W PCIe GEN 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, Corsair AIO iLink cooler, Corsair Graphite 780t Full Tower ATX Case (White), Meta Quest Pro VR headset, Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" UltraWide Dual Quad HD 240Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, Thrustmaster Viper Mission Pack, Thrustmaster Cougar F-16 throttle, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Thrustmaster F-18 stick, Thrustmaster TPR rudder, Winwing ICP, Edifer e25HD Luna HD speakers. 1 Gbps uplink and downlink FTTP. Windows 11. Hot tub, hot wife. Living the dream!

What is the likelyhood that the friend doesn’t have the ‘Enable VR’ box ticked inside the DCS settings. If you want the shortcut just go to ~\DCS World\bin\DCS_updater.exe - right click and send to desktop

The guide can be shorter. Heck it can be 8 sentences. But I am not going to do that. But I promise that I will keep improving it, and condensing it and making it better. To be honest, half of it is not even my work; but various users in the community thinking it's a good idea to add this and that so it will help the next person

After countless hours of back-testing and frustrations, repeated mistakes - 10 minutes of ones time to read 2000 comments worth of struggle condensed and updated into one post is not much to ask

If followed to the letter, the tool will work straight out of the box, even if followed blindly without any understanding. Also it’s a one stop shop for answers of 95% of all questions. No need to read the other posts if one does not want to

Basically I am trying to save every minute of Mbucchia’s, Jabbah’s time. We have to remember that DCS accounts for over 90% OpenCompesite user base, so getting this right is important. (Remember that one time where the DCS community single-handedly blew through their entire Server Bandwidth Days' allocation, every day for almost a full week straight?) Every answered question here means that their time is opened up for development rather than user support

@Fiztex If only there was an other manufacturer which produced graphics cards at better price 2 performance ratio with 16GB of VRAM on their midtier and higher end cards

Edited by nikoel
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Rufuz64 said:

I've got the same problem. No matter what I do, DCS starts in normal Mode without VR. No other VR mod used before.

• I use DCS Stable standalone. Clean & Repair with SkatZilla -> done.
  • Saved Game folder rename -> done
  • VR is enabled in options and PD is 1.0 -> done
  • OpenXR Tools: latest preview, 100%, runtime as OpenXR -> done
  • OpenComposite: Switch to OpenComposite, also "App Configuration" DCS to OpenComposite -> done
  • Delete/Rename your D3DCompiler_47.dll -> done
  • SteamVR automatic launch is unticked -> done
  • Re-calibrate your headset by clearing the environment -> done
  • OpenXR Toolkit: I think a had it installed already for MSFS2020. Tried activated "Saved Mode" and also uninstalled -> no change
  • Tried also the uninstall and reinstall of the OpenXR apps -> no change

It looks like OpenComposite does not "catch" DCS. No error or any other message. Nothing usefull in dcs.log

Is there any other way to test it? Or some logfiles? OpenXR has less options for troubleshooting as far as I can find. Google brings me also only the "First steps with OpenXR" things.

Any help is really welcome!

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

13 minutes ago, kaltokri said:

I've got the same problem. No matter what I do, DCS starts in normal Mode without VR. No other VR mod used before.

• I use DCS Stable standalone. Clean & Repair with SkatZilla -> done.
  • Saved Game folder rename -> done
  • VR is enabled in options and PD is 1.0 -> done
  • OpenXR Tools: latest preview, 100%, runtime as OpenXR -> done
  • OpenComposite: Switch to OpenComposite, also "App Configuration" DCS to OpenComposite -> done
  • Delete/Rename your D3DCompiler_47.dll -> done
  • SteamVR automatic launch is unticked -> done
  • Re-calibrate your headset by clearing the environment -> done
  • OpenXR Toolkit: I think a had it installed already for MSFS2020. Tried activated "Saved Mode" and also uninstalled -> no change
  • Tried also the uninstall and reinstall of the OpenXR apps -> no change

It looks like OpenComposite does not "catch" DCS. No error or any other message. Nothing usefull in dcs.log

Is there any other way to test it? Or some logfiles? OpenXR has less options for troubleshooting as far as I can find. Google brings me also only the "First steps with OpenXR" things.

Any help is really welcome!

You are trying with a G2, right?

Okay try this. Launch Windows Mixed Reality - put your headset on. What do you see? If nothing, and there is no sound and the front LED is not on. Try a different USB Port, a different Display Port and double check that the power cable is plugged in and the LED on the power brick is active

Then launch the Saktezilla Utility and try launching with the ForceVR mode

Is OpenXR Itself installed on your computer? Go to the right most tab inside the OpenXR Tools app (Home I believe from memory) and launch the demo scene. You should be surrounded by purple and low poly clouds. There is also a 'System Status' tab which will tell you more

Is your Windows install up to date?

Other things to try. Standalone per app install of OpenComposite (Revert everything back to SteamVR in the opencomposite.exe and delete the entire folder before installing the other one)

Edited by nikoel

11 minutes ago, kaltokri said:

You need to use OpenComposite from openxr branch. https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/runtimeswitcher.php?branch=openxr

The one from the Master branch will not work, DCS will start in 2D, other sims will crash. 

Anyway, I tried yesterday the latest OpenXR after updating CPU to Ryzen 5800X3D, but I still don't see much benefits on my system compared to SteamVR. Motion Reprojection artifacts are worse, VRAM usage is similar, image quality comparable, frametimes are actually a tad worse with OpenXR. I must be one of the few oddballs that got the SteamVR to work half-decent. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Reverb G2, right. Sorry forgot to tell you. Runs in SteamVR without any problem.

Launch Windows Mixed Reality - put your headset on. What do you see? -> Skyhouse is working fine

Then launch the Saktezilla Utility and try launching with the ForceVR mode -> already tried, no luck

OpenXR Itself installed on your computer? ->
Yes. The demo scene is show for 1 second and then disappears.
I've got another Windows installation on a different SSD. I did the same steps there, too. On this Windows 10 the demo scene is shown. But I had the same problem with DCS.

'System Status' -> shows a lot of information, which looks good for me

Windows 10 21H2 with all updates available. Newest Nvidia driver. gtx3080.

Standalone per app install of OpenComposite -> Is this the available openvr_api.dll, right? I tried this also. Everything back to SteamVR and replaced only this DLL. No luck.

But when I revert everthing back to steamVR, the game starts in VR as normal.

This makes me crazy. Probably I am doing a stupid thing wrong or my system has a glitch and I'm unable to find it.

15 minutes ago, some1 said:

You need to use OpenComposite from openxr branch. https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/runtimeswitcher.php?branch=openxr

The one from the Master branch will not work, DCS will start in 2D, other sims will crash.

This is the link I used for download, too.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

1 hour ago, cerealex said:

I have installed OopenXR and works fine! Anyone are also using any shader mod? Kegetys shaders? Simplex? Migoto? 👀

I just installed Kegety's last night.  Works great.  I did notice an error in the logs where DCS went to naming the subfolder the .lua is in when using the include function, so I went in and just changed "#include "_HMD.fx" to "#include "deferred/_HMD.fx" or whatever the file name it was referencing is.  I also removed the NVG mods as I already have it where I want it with my own tweaks to the DCS files (removed the noise and changed the focal distance so I could see the DDI's).

• Like 1

MSI X790 Carbon Wifi, 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim X, 64gb DDR5 6400CL30, HP Reverb G2, VKB NXT Evo, VKB STECS Max, Thrustmaster rudder pedals

hace 44 minutos, Taterbootz dijo:

I just installed Kegety's last night.  Works great.  I did notice an error in the logs where DCS went to naming the subfolder the .lua is in when using the include function, so I went in and just changed "#include "_HMD.fx" to "#include "deferred/_HMD.fx" or whatever the file name it was referencing is.  I also removed the NVG mods as I already have it where I want it with my own tweaks to the DCS files (removed the noise and changed the focal distance so I could see the DDI's).

Thanks I´ll try it!

Sent from Nokia 3310

3 hours ago, Taterbootz said:

How much time compiling and did you actually see any FPS gain? Before the latest patch it was taking for ever for me and no significant fps gain.

You should better remove the dll(s) from the bin folder before updating and then you can hit the update button on skatezilla. After updating put the files back, it's always easier to use mode manager like OvGME

I see no frametime improvements from kegetys shader mods now, even the albedo supersampling is identical so it's either been incorporated into DCS or made non functional. There might still be FPS gain from the simple glass but I never used it much because of the reflections on the A10 dials.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

7 hours ago, some1 said:

Anyway, I tried yesterday the latest OpenXR after updating CPU to Ryzen 5800X3D, but I still don't see much benefits on my system compared to SteamVR. Motion Reprojection artifacts are worse, VRAM usage is similar, image quality comparable, frametimes are actually a tad worse with OpenXR. I must be one of the few oddballs that got the SteamVR to work half-decent. 

I'm actually in the same boat. No real performance improvement (maybe even a few fps slower), and I use reshade with sharpening to improve blurriness in DCS. Is there any way to sharpen images in OpenXr?

I'm running a 3090 so VRAM never gets full maybe thats why. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

12 minutes ago, Harlikwin said:

I'm actually in the same boat. No real performance improvement (maybe even a few fps slower), and I use reshade with sharpening to improve blurriness in DCS. Is there any way to sharpen images in OpenXr?

I'm running a 3090 so VRAM never gets full maybe thats why. 

I have a similar experience with my 3090, although OpenXR feels more smooth (even without motion reprojection). I was a little shocked of the blurriness and shimmering still being that prominent with OpenXR as so many reported improvements in visual quality. I had used reshade resharpen, too. Now switched to 3DMigoto which is great and very customizable. Some form of sharpening is a must. No matter how high the resolution is, the image will always be blurry without it. 

The real win for me is motion reprojection with OpenXR, although so many dislike it! Yes, you get some artifacts/errors in your image (even on HUD and kneeboard), but the motion is soooooo smooth. I love it! 30 FPS feel like 90.

I had issues with OXR so I swapped to SVR for a while. I see no more any improvement. Both OXR and SVR gives me exact the same FPS. And OXR seems to be bugged so I get massive drops to like 15FPS from 50-70FPS and it stays there until I'd restart DCS. I don't get this on SVR, so probably staying with SVR.

System spec: Windows 10 Pro / i7-12700K / 3080Ti / 64GB / m2 SSD / Orion F16 Throttle / TM Warthog Stick / TPR Rudders / JetSeat / Reverb G2.

After today's patch, I have a loss of performance with the MR unlocked in openXR... I could keep 30 fps minimal with 3170x3100 (G2) with MR.. now, badly 20 fps in the same location and  same options. Anyone else with this problem after today's patch?

28 minutes ago, Hive said:

I have a similar experience with my 3090, although OpenXR feels more smooth (even without motion reprojection). I was a little shocked of the blurriness and shimmering still being that prominent with OpenXR as so many reported improvements in visual quality. I had used reshade resharpen, too. Now switched to 3DMigoto which is great and very customizable. Some form of sharpening is a must. No matter how high the resolution is, the image will always be blurry without it. 

The real win for me is motion reprojection with OpenXR, although so many dislike it! Yes, you get some artifacts/errors in your image (even on HUD and kneeboard), but the motion is soooooo smooth. I love it! 30 FPS feel like 90.

Yeah it seemed "smoother" though like it seemed like false positive to me, as I was at near 90 on both steam vr and openXR

How are you sharpening with openXR? Also, for G2 guys how much are you messing with saturation to improve color? Or are you messing with the RGB values?

Edited by Harlikwin

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

5 minutes ago, Werewolf_fs said:

After today's patch, I have a loss of performance with the MR unlocked in openXR... I could keep 30 fps minimal with 3170x3100 (G2) with MR.. now, badly 20 fps in the same location and  same options. Anyone else with this problem after today's patch?

just curious, did you remove your fxo & metashaders2 folders?  I'm going to be flying in a little while, and will also check if I notice any diff after the patch.  

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

10 minutes ago, Werewolf_fs said:

I just gave it a go to see, but no - no changes at mines. Depending on the map I can cap at 30 or 45FPS. I'm trying if I'd get this bug when it would get to 15 suddenly. Maybe you have the same issue. Sometime it drops like that with unknown to me reason. Restarting DCS helps.

System spec: Windows 10 Pro / i7-12700K / 3080Ti / 64GB / m2 SSD / Orion F16 Throttle / TM Warthog Stick / TPR Rudders / JetSeat / Reverb G2.