OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

That is strange I used to use Open Composite with my Rift and IL-2 back in the day. Perhaps something has changed there since then.
Yes maybe I was not clear enough... opencomposite was an oculus thing before anything else, it eliminated the need for oculus users to have both oculus and SteamVR software. Later it was ported to WMR
But know I am asking if it is possible to go ave the openxr toolkit working also with oculus
(So nis, fsr, fixed foveted rendering etc)

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

1 час назад, VirusAM сказал:

Yes maybe I was not clear enough... opencomposite was an oculus thing before anything else, it eliminated the need for oculus users to have both oculus and SteamVR software. Later it was ported to WMR
But know I am asking if it is possible to go ave the openxr toolkit working also with oculus

Yes, works great, in my case better than native. Search for "Quest 2" in this topic, it's been discussed before. TLDR - just install OC and OXRTK as usual and you don't need all the WMR stuff.

9 hours ago, VirusAM said:

@VirusAM

I have posted this guide over on Discord when I was using it succesfully.

Steps for Quest 2 users:

Read the instructions as a generic guide (don't bother with WMR ones) from https://forum.dcs.world/topic/295123-update-155-final-openxr-guide-for-wmr-headsets/
You can download OpenXR tools for Windows Mixed Reality and WMR but they are not affecting the Oculus setup, as Oculus is used as the OpenXR runtime

Also NOTE DCS PD should be at 1.0 

A. Download OpenComposite: https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr - scroll down to 'System Wide Installation' and click download link titled 'OpenComposite Launcher'

Extract the folder and put it somewhere safe (eg. Desktop or Documents folder) 
Run OpenComposite.exe (A small number people reported that they needed to right click 'run as Admin')

B. Delete/Rename your D3DCompiler_47.dll inside the Bin folder of your DCS Install (eg D3DCompiler_47dll.orig) 

C. Download this openvr_api.dll https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x64&branch=openxr and replace the one in your bin folder of your DCS Install 

NOTE: for steps B and C you can also create an OVGME setup to make sure it works every time after DCS updates.

D. Set runtime to OpenComposite (Which connects to OpenXR) - On first startup it needs to download DLL's. Wait for that to complete before going to the next step.
NOTE: The app configuration screenshot below is post DCS launch. Initially, you will likely see a blank page. This is normal.

E. Download OpenXR Toolkit: https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/
Install and launch
Launch DCS then CTRL+F2 (or whatever keystroke you've setup inside the toolkit) the menu will only appear inside VR

NOTE: If you had used OpenXR before, then delete opencomposite.ini from DCS folder

Edited by diamond26
  • Like 1

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

Loving the new version guys.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Hope ED get on board to make it official.

After trying top gun addon in msfs and coming back to DCS......what an amazing amazing sim this is!!!

Edited by aceviper

1 hour ago, aceviper said:

Loving the new version guys.

Keep up the fantastic work.

Hope ED get on board to make it official.

After trying top gun addon in msfs and coming back to DCS......what an amazing amazing sim this is!!!

To be clear - Open XR Developer Tools is a third party Mod by a MS employee. Nothing there to be made official by ED. Even in MSFS 2020 Open XR Developer Tools is still a Mod and it was developed and actively updated by a MS employee.

However ED could and I wish they really would take a look at adding the Open XR runtime support natively for DCS. They currently support the Oculus runtime and the Steam VR runtime. Then we would not need to hack the runtime into working with DCS via Open Composite and Open XR. So that is the thing we need to be asking ED to consider, adding native Open XR runtime support for DCS. We can already see the benefits of this in MSFS 2020 which has native Open XR runtime support.

• Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

9 minutes ago, dburne said:

To be clear - Open XR Developer Tools is a third party Mod by a MS employee. Nothing there to be made official by ED. Even in MSFS 2020 Open XR Developer Tools is still a Mod and it was developed and actively updated by a MS employee.

However ED could and I wish they really would take a look at adding the Open XR runtime support natively for DCS. They currently support the Oculus runtime and the Steam VR runtime. Then we would not need to hack the runtime into working with DCS via Open Composite and Open XR. So that is the thing we need to be asking ED to consider, adding native Open XR runtime support for DCS. We can already see the benefits of this in MSFS 2020 which has native Open XR runtime support.

@BIGNEWYany chance ? 

• Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• ED Team
16 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

@BIGNEWYany chance ? 

We have requested it, but I have no news to share.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 6

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, BIGNEWY said:

This would be great...I'm crossing my fingers  👍

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

2 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

Thanks @BIGNEWY

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

3 hours ago, BIGNEWY said:

:thumbup:

Thanks much! This would really help in the performance department in VR.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1.1.3 seems to hit my GPU significantly harder than 1.1.1 does.  I will say I didn’t uninstall 1.1.1 before installing 1.1.3 but I’m not sure if that would cause it or not.  Used the exact same settings (NIS or FSR @ 80, conservative mip, graphic/balanced FFV, 20-40 anti shake, default MR with it set to Auto in OXRDT). 

I might try to uninstall and retry the new update tomorrow to see if that was it.  

MSI X790 Carbon Wifi, 13900K, MSI 4090 Suprim X, 64gb DDR5 6400CL30, HP Reverb G2, VKB NXT Evo, VKB STECS Max, Thrustmaster rudder pedals

@VirusAM
I have posted this guide over on Discord when I was using it succesfully.
Steps for Quest 2 users:
Read the instructions as a generic guide (don't bother with WMR ones) from https://forum.dcs.world/topic/295123-update-155-final-openxr-guide-for-wmr-headsets/
You can download OpenXR tools for Windows Mixed Reality and WMR but they are not affecting the Oculus setup, as Oculus is used as the OpenXR runtime
Also NOTE DCS PD should be at 1.0 
A. Download OpenComposite: https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr - scroll down to 'System Wide Installation' and click download link titled 'OpenComposite Launcher'
Extract the folder and put it somewhere safe (eg. Desktop or Documents folder) 
Run OpenComposite.exe (A small number people reported that they needed to right click 'run as Admin')
B. Delete/Rename your D3DCompiler_47.dll inside the Bin folder of your DCS Install (eg D3DCompiler_47dll.orig) 
C. Download this openvr_api.dll https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/download.php?arch=x64&branch=openxr and replace the one in your bin folder of your DCS Install 
NOTE: for steps B and C you can also create an OVGME setup to make sure it works every time after DCS updates.

D. Set runtime to OpenComposite (Which connects to OpenXR) - On first startup it needs to download DLL's. Wait for that to complete before going to the next step.
NOTE: The app configuration screenshot below is post DCS launch. Initially, you will likely see a blank page. This is normal.
E. Download OpenXR Toolkit: https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/
Install and launch
Launch DCS then CTRL+F2 (or whatever keystroke you've setup inside the toolkit) the menu will only appear inside VR
NOTE: If you had used OpenXR before, then delete opencomposite.ini from DCS folder

So setting openxr in oculus software is enough to make openxr tools working?
Is also opencomposite working without the need of oculus software?
Your passages seems equal to WMR ones but I don't see any reference to which settings to use in oculus software

Inviato dal mio Pixel 6 utilizzando Tapatalk

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

7 hours ago, VirusAM said:

So setting openxr in oculus software is enough to make openxr tools working?
Is also opencomposite working without the need of oculus software?
Your passages seems equal to WMR ones but I don't see any reference to which settings to use in oculus software

Inviato dal mio Pixel 6 utilizzando Tapatalk

OpenXR is usually set in Oculus SW. It’s one of the questions asked during installation if I remember, otherwise you can set it in settings. 
Opencomposite does NOT negate the use of oculus software. It’s just a layer to make Oculus work without SteamVR while using OpenXR.

Settings in Oculus SW is up to your liking and your system performance limitations 

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

Guys, I didnt use this https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/ , maybe yet 😉 - Im user of SteamVR plus Reshade 5.1 for VR works and LOOKS (especially!) very well.

However I saw here some of very good and promising opinions. Id like to ask people, who used SteamVR + Reshade (sharpness option) - with this OpenXR looks the same, worse, better? 

I especially care about the image sharpening option in VR, I don't know if this OpenXR offers it because I have never installed it.

TY.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

16 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Guys, I didnt use this https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/ , maybe yet 😉 - Im user of SteamVR plus Reshade 5.1 for VR works and LOOKS (especially!) very well.

However I saw here some of very good and promising opinions. Id like to ask people, who used SteamVR + Reshade (sharpness option) - with this OpenXR looks the same, worse, better? 

I especially care about the image sharpening option in VR, I don't know if this OpenXR offers it because I have never installed it.

TY.

Reshade does not work with OXR.

you can achieve similar colour balancing effects.

18 minutes ago, YoYo said:

TY.

I've not used reshade personally but...

There are sharpening, saturation, vibrance, colour, brightness and contrast sliders amongst others in mbucchia's openxr toolkit.

Whether or not you find it better would probably be up to you. Best to install it, if you don't get satisfactory results then simple disable it. Just follow they guide explicitly and you should be good 🙂

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

14 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I've not used reshade personally but...

There are sharpening, saturation, vibrance, colour, brightness and contrast sliders amongst others in mbucchia's openxr toolkit.

Whether or not you find it better would probably be up to you. Best to install it, if you don't get satisfactory results then simple disable it. Just follow they guide explicitly and you should be good 🙂

Thx, Yes I know, but it costs a little time - uninstall Reshade and install + configuration this OpenXR, maybe one day for whole process to find out all the settings and do dozen of tests (I use NIS vesion for MSFS so I know this soft in smaller version a little).

Thanks, its a good news about sharpening for me!

17 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

Reshade does not work with OXR.

Yes, I know it, I have to remove it.

Edited by YoYo

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

You could always just make a copy of your DCS folder, clean/repair that one and test openxr on it, that way you shouldn't need to uninstall reshade I don't think.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

vor 2 Stunden schrieb YoYo:

TY.

I can only recommend it.
I could not use the F14 via Steamvr and Reshade in MP.
I had stutters when I panned from left to right in the cockpit with the G2.
With OpenXR this problem has disappeared.

G2, 2080 Super

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hello all, a very unsatisfied Rift S user here

How to uninstall and fully remove this tool? My VR headset and/or DCS are frequently crashing since I installed this according to the steps in the first page of this thread

Thanks & best regards

Finally tried this. Thanks for the guide, this has genuinely been revolutionary for me!

DCS is playable now even in multiplayer with my 2080 super and 9700k at 45

Also using the foveated rendering on wide

Sent from my HD1903 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Scripts: Complete Transport And Logistics Deployment - CTLD / CTLD Examples - Lots of example of how to use CTLD

CSAR Script - Downed Pilot Rescue / Dedicated Server Script - Automatically launch DCS Multiplayer server at startup

Range Scoring Script - Get scores and counts hits on targets for gunnery or bombs / SimpleSlotBlock - Multiplayer dynamic Slot Blocking Script

Projects: DCS-SimpleRadio Standalone - DCS Radio Integration for All Aircraft - NO TeamSpeak Required! :)

DCS-SimpleRadio Troubleshooting Post / DCS-SimpleRadio Free Support Channel on Discord

9 hours ago, Caldero said:

Hello all, a very unsatisfied Rift S user here

How to uninstall and fully remove this tool? My VR headset and/or DCS are frequently crashing since I installed this according to the steps in the first page of this thread

Thanks & best regards

RiftS isnt supported, why you installing it?

• Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

On 6/4/2022 at 2:53 PM, Taterbootz said:

1.1.3 seems to hit my GPU significantly harder than 1.1.1 does.  I will say I didn’t uninstall 1.1.1 before installing 1.1.3 but I’m not sure if that would cause it or not.  Used the exact same settings (NIS or FSR @ 80, conservative mip, graphic/balanced FFV, 20-40 anti shake, default MR with it set to Auto in OXRDT). 

I might try to uninstall and retry the new update tomorrow to see if that was it.  

Try to disable HAGS

This account is now inactive and not monitored.