OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

4 hours ago, =LD=Icer said:

I'm all new to this but isn't the latest OpenXR Toolkit 1.1.3? That is what I just downloaded, have not installed yet..

Correct 1.1.3 is the latest but it looks washed out, over saturated, over exposed and no matter what i do it just doesnt look right on my G2 so i rolled it back to the best version i've used so far which is 1.0.5.

Also with regards to when DCS is updated, the install will move the modified files into a backup location so simply open the backup location and copy over the folders in that backup location and you're back in business in seconds without having to faff around with installations again.

E.g. after the update on the 8th you should have a backup folder with the date created/updated.

Capture1.JPG

Now open the folder, in my case it was _backup.001 and copy the contents of the folder into the "DCS World OpenBeta" folder and choose Y to overwrite.

Capture2.JPG

Back in business immediately.

Edited by wheelie
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

wheelie

Windows10, RTX4090 OC, i9-9900k @ 5ghz all cores, 64gb DDR3600 ram, M.2 boot drive and crucial SSD's, M.2 for DCS.
VR user Varjo Aero, Virpil Throttle and Base with Thrustmaster sticks.

My steps after update:

1. /DCS Wolrd/bin/

D3DCompiler_47.dll rename to D3DCompiler_47_OLD.dll

openvr_api.dll rename to openvr_api_old.dll

2. /OpenComposite/Runtime/bin/

vrclient_x64.dll copy

3. /DCS Wolrd/bin/

vrclient_x64.dll paste and rename to openvr_api.dll

For 3 months I never had crash if I only start WMR first. Then just open DCS from dcs.exe or shortcut on desktop.

Edited by TylerPL666
  • Thanks 1

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

52 minutes ago, zork824 said:

This mod feels more stuttery than using reshade with 50% resolution. For some reason it's like I always have motion reprojection on even though it should be off. Any tips? Using a G2 with a 2070.

Try 60Hz WMR. Res at 100%

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

9 hours ago, wheelie said:

Correct 1.1.3 is the latest but it looks washed out, over saturated, over exposed and no matter what i do it just doesnt look right on my G2 so

Sounds oposite of my feeling. Comparing to Samsung Odyssey+ HP Reverb G2 colors and black were washed out. When I set in OpenXR Tools Contrast to 80~90% in Post Procesing it looks ok. Maybe you try reducing contrast?

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

I just switched from a Index. I noticed that this seems extra washed out in comparison to that headset. I pretty much automatically switched to OpenXR once I swapped headsets. Another thing I noticed was that I'm less able to spot targets with the G2. Anyone have any fixes?

32 минуты назад, Khangirey сказал:

I just switched from a Index. I noticed that this seems extra washed out in comparison to that headset. I pretty much automatically switched to OpenXR once I swapped headsets. Another thing I noticed was that I'm less able to spot targets with the G2. Anyone have any fixes?

The smaller the pixel the smaller the dot-sized target, it's an engine limitation. Spotting is easier with big pixels (low PD), IDing easier with smaller pixels (high PD). Pick your poison and set the PD accordingly. Or use dot labels, e.g. ones from Taz1004.

I think most people are on standalone DCS, works perfectly for me 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

19 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

anyone managed to get this working with standalone DCS?

17 minutes ago, edmuss said:

yep... just follow the instructions in the OP

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 hours ago, edmuss said:

I followed the instructions but I just cant get the menu toolkit to work in game (I have Oculus HMD). 

I have both versions installed (Normal and Open beta). I followed the instructions, cleaned and repaired and installed everything then selected both in opencomposite. 

Not sure where I am going wrong also the toolkit shows only 1 DCS and not 2 since I have 2 versions installed.

Appreciate any tips/help I can get 

Capture.png

Specs: 13900k @ 5.5Ghz, 64GB @ 3600Mhz, 3080Ti.

I'm not too familiar with the oculus setup for getting the toolkit to run but I'm sure it's possible.
Are you sure that CTRL+S isn't bound elsewhere in DCS if so then I believe that will take control focus away from the toolkit?  I use CTRL+down arrow and it works perfectly.

Have just noticed that you have safe mode enabled, try disabling it.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

I followed the instructions but I just cant get the menu toolkit to work in game (I have Oculus HMD). 
I have both versions installed (Normal and Open beta). I followed the instructions, cleaned and repaired and installed everything then selected both in opencomposite. 
Not sure where I am going wrong also the toolkit shows only 1 DCS and not 2 since I have 2 versions installed.

Appreciate any tips/help I can get 

Capture.png
In oculus SW set as Oculus as default runtime.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]
Win11x64, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080Ti, i5-8600K OC4.5 GHz, 120GB SSD INTEL 530, SAMSUNG SSD 850 EVO 250G, 1TB HDD WD RED, MSI Z370-A PRO, Cougar AQUA 360 CPU cooler, Kingston 2x32GB DDR4 3800MHz, 4K LG 50" Monitor, Meta Quest Pro VR, Orion2 HOTAS MAX,Orion Metal Flight Rudder Pedals (With Damper Edition), GAMETRIX KW-908 JETSEAT.

2 hours ago, Fiztex said:

The smaller the pixel the smaller the dot-sized target, it's an engine limitation. Spotting is easier with big pixels (low PD), IDing easier with smaller pixels (high PD). Pick your poison and set the PD accordingly. Or use dot labels, e.g. ones from Taz1004.

I figured as much. I'll play around with it some more. I'll try it again as I deleted it (since it was listed as nonworking), but Reshade seemed to make those pixels pop more. I just reinstalled DCS to standalone, so I'll retry everything again. 

18 minutes ago, HiWay said:

In oculus SW set as Oculus as default runtime.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Doesn't that bypass openxr altogether and run with the native oculus runtimes?  I thought the concept was to force the headset to use steamvr so it hooks into the openvr dlls?

41 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Doesn't that bypass openxr altogether and run with the native oculus runtimes?  I thought the concept was to force the headset to use steamvr so it hooks into the openvr dlls?

You do that by forcing DCS to start with steamVR option(either by using the parameter —force_steam_VR or Skatezilla update utility). WMR is not required for Oculus thus you use the Oculus OpenXR

@OutlawOculus App settings General tab

image.png

Edited by diamond26
  • Like 1

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

Ah yes, that makes sense, thanks for the clarification 🙂

@Outlaw, @diamond26 is the man to talk to for getting openxr to run on the quest.

6 hours ago, ZLOD82 said:

It’s reality amazing. 200 % render 45-50fps 😀😀😀 3090 on online war

I can't wait for the 40-series to hit the streets, because when that happens, I'm either going to buy a firesale 3090 for $500 or so, or pick up a brand new 4080 for the $899 that the consensus is it will be priced at.  Right now I'm using a 2070 Super (paired with an i5-10600K) that both hold fairly high overclocks and I'm actually doing pretty well, mid-40s or higher on the fps almost all of the time, though I really judge based on what my eyes see, not what some benchmark is telling me.  If the 4080 is as much more powerful than my 2070S as is alleged, it may be the last GPU I'll ever have to buy!  (Famous last words...)

31 minutes ago, KevyKevTPA said:

I can't wait for the 40-series to hit the streets, because when that happens, I'm either going to buy a firesale 3090 for $500 or so, or pick up a brand new 4080 for the $899 that the consensus is it will be priced at.  Right now I'm using a 2070 Super (paired with an i5-10600K) that both hold fairly high overclocks and I'm actually doing pretty well, mid-40s or higher on the fps almost all of the time, though I really judge based on what my eyes see, not what some benchmark is telling me.  If the 4080 is as much more powerful than my 2070S as is alleged, it may be the last GPU I'll ever have to buy!  (Famous last words...)

I have 3070 too . But only 70% render 50-60 fps online  and 60-70 offline . 100% give 35-45 online . 
3090 give 200% render 45-55 fps online . He most power . 40x nvidia were long too me . I won’t fly now 😀😀

Z690 ASUS Extreme glacial
12700k 5200
3090 гигабайт aurus
G skil 6400

1 hour ago, diamond26 said:

You do that by forcing DCS to start with steamVR option(either by using the parameter —force_steam_VR or Skatezilla update utility). WMR is not required for Oculus thus you use the Oculus OpenXR

@OutlawOculus App settings General tab

image.png

I made new shortcut for DCS exe with --force_steam_VR, also had oculus as the active runtime but still toolkit menu not showing in game (tried different combo keys). 

I tried to Open Steam VR first then load DCS from the new shortcut and I tried also without loading SteamVR. 

Do I need to keep using Opencomposite or no need for it?

Also, the toolkit showing only this (highlited in blue), is that correct?

Capture.png

16 minutes ago, Outlaw said:

I made new shortcut for DCS exe with --force_steam_VR, also had oculus as the active runtime but still toolkit menu not showing in game (tried different combo keys). 

I tried to Open Steam VR first then load DCS from the new shortcut and I tried also without loading SteamVR. No need to load SteamVR

Do I need to keep using Opencomposite or no need for it?  NO need to have it open if that's what you mean

Also, the toolkit showing only this (highlited in blue), is that correct? YES

Capture.png

My answers in Green

I guess you have clicked this button to switch to opencomposite!

null

image.png

Edited by diamond26

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

1 hour ago, diamond26 said:

My answers in Green

I guess you have clicked this button to switch to opencomposite!

null

image.png

for Opencomposite, I meant do I need it installed on my PC since using Oculus as the default OpenXR timeframe?

gonna try this again tonight, just cleaned/repaired DCS via DCS Updater Utility, removed Opencomposite and reinstalled OpenXr toolkit. 

More than happy to buy you a 6 pack of beer if you help me get this thing working, just need to correct the colors of DCS with the tool

2 hours ago, Outlaw said:

for Opencomposite, I meant do I need it installed on my PC since using Oculus as the default OpenXR timeframe?

gonna try this again tonight, just cleaned/repaired DCS via DCS Updater Utility, removed Opencomposite and reinstalled OpenXr toolkit. 

More than happy to buy you a 6 pack of beer if you help me get this thing working, just need to correct the colors of DCS with the tool

If you follow my instructions you will see that in order for Oculus to work through OpenXR you need Opencomposite. Then you install OpenXR toolkit and start DCS with VR On button in DCS update utility with SteamVR api enabled. 

Edited by diamond26