OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

5 hours ago, diamond26 said:

If you follow my instructions you will see that in order for Oculus to work through OpenXR you need Opencomposite. Then you install OpenXR toolkit and start DCS with VR On button in DCS update utility with SteamVR api enabled. 

I have not seen your instructions before in the thread. 

After cleaning the registry and reinstalling everything, it finally worked. 

Thank you SIR

• Like 1

Specs: 13900k @ 5.5Ghz, 64GB @ 3600Mhz, 3080Ti.

1 minute ago, Outlaw said:

I have not seen your instructions before in the thread. 

After cleaning the registry and reinstalling everything, it finally worked. 

Thank you SIR

You are welcome

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

What settings have people played with to make the game more colorful/bright? I'm coming from the Index, and the G2 seems ultra dim and washed out to me.

I've tried the brightness/contract, but can't get it right. I've also tried the 50 50 50 RGB settings on the next menu, and while that seems to work, it makes my menus and map look super washed out. 

I think you'll want saturation to make it less washed out and the RGB are used to re-balance.  You might be able to turn all three RGB up equally to add saturation.  I'm not sure as I've not messed with the color settings yet.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I just tried this, and it works. 

But the problem i have with this is if i set motion reprojection off in openxr tools, i get 55 fps with stutters. And if i turn it on i get 30 fps but smooth. While in steamvr i have 45 fps smooth. 

Any sugestion to fix this? 

(i'm sorry if this is already explained, didn't want to read 88 pages) 

Edited by kurtz667
  • Like 1
Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

Terrains:Nevada, Persian gulf, Normandy + Asset pack, Syria

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2

Assuming that you have reprojection set to unlocked in the openxr toolkit then you're not quite achieving the frametimes to keep it below the 22ms needed for the 45hz bracket.

Using the developer tools performance overlay, look at app_GPU (the render time) and post_GPU (the reprojection overheads).  Add the two together and that will give your total frametime. If it's below 22ms you'll reproject at 45hz if it's above 22ms but below 33ms you'll reproject at 30hz.

With my 3070 I typically see post_GPU at around 4ms when reprojection is turned on, therefore in order to achieve the 45Hz bracket I need to be pulling <18ms (55fps) naturally otherwise it will drop down to the 30hz bracket.

Reprojection in openxr isn't as good as steamvr yet, however it's much smoother in general. I fly without reprojection at around 60-70fps and it's perfectly useable.

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Thanks for explaining, makes sense. 

I only have a 1080ti, so i guess thats my problem then. 

• Like 1
Spoiler

Modules: FC3, KA-50, MIG-21, F-18, F-14, UH-1H, Spitfire, F-5E, A-10c II, A-4E, SC, F-16, CA, M2000c, BF-109K-4, Mi-24P

PC setup:I7 8700k, 32g ram, m2 ssd, gtx 1080ti, Warthog TM, MFG crosswind, Playseat Air Force, Reverb G2

Just let it run at 30 and you should be ok 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

32 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Just let it run at 30 and you should be ok 🙂

Yea i don't know, 30 is a bit low and kinda miss the sharpness and colors of the reshade mod. But i'll compare it a bit better when i have the time. Thanks again 👍😊

• Thanks 1
Spoiler

What resolution are you running on the G2?

I've found that openxr handles lower resolution without significant visual loss better than steamvr. I run at 2900 wide at the moment (set in the toolkit) which is about 90% but I can run happily down to 70% (about 2600 I think) before the HUD and MFD text starts to get a bit fuzzy for my liking.

I don't use FSR because I'm not keen on the micro aliasing it generates but that will give you a healthy uplift; I do use fixed foveated rendering on the quality wide preset which gains about 1.5ms.

If you're pulling 55 fps at 100% without FSR/FFR then turn them on and if possible run the headset at 60hz with reprojection off and shoot for >60fps and you will have a superbly smooth image.

Edited by edmuss

I'm not realy familiar with FSR/FFR, are these shader mods? 

I tried running dcs at 75 percent res in the openxr toolkit. But app_gpu and post_gpu combined is still at 36ms.

I've also previously tried putting the g2 below 90 hz. But the hmd really starts to flicker at lower hz in my opinion. 

Edited by kurtz667
Spoiler

3 hours ago, kurtz667 said:

I'm not realy familiar with FSR/FFR, are these shader mods? 

I tried running dcs at 75 percent res in the openxr toolkit. But app_gpu and post_gpu combined is still at 36ms.

I've also previously tried putting the g2 below 90 hz. But the hmd really starts to flicker at lower hz in my opinion. 

No they're the upscaling and Fixed Foveated Rendering tools built into the toolkit.

FSR renders the image at a lower scale and then upscales it using magic (and possibly science) to the final render size. I've sent as much as 10fps uplift from FSR without significant image quality loss. I find that it adds tiny marching ants all across the screen which I find distracting but that's personal preference.

FFR renders a circle in the centre of the screen at full resolution and then two larger concentric rings at lower resolutions, this works particularly well with the G2 because of the blurry edges of the image outside of the sweet spot.

If you're app_GPU is pegged at 36ms regardless of resolution then you're bottlenecked somewhere else and the GPU isn't holding you back. The performance overlay in openxr toolkit has a CPU bound warning when you get CPU bound; that should give you some more indication of what's happening.

Yeah the 60Hz flicker affects some people worse, personally it doesn't affect me so I'm free to use either.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Pikey said:

I had this. Comes with launching DCS via SKatezilla's app. Presume related to no Administator. Works fine when launching direct. Not ideal.

image.png

I don't use skatezillas launcher but then I don't specifically launch DCS as administrator either. It's not an error that I've seen before in this thread either I think.

Perhaps someone else that uses the launcher could corroborate, otherwise might be worth an ask on the discord 🙂

7 hours ago, edmuss said:

No they're the upscaling and Fixed Foveated Rendering tools built into the toolkit.

FSR renders the image at a lower scale and then upscales it using magic (and possibly science) to the final render size. I've sent as much as 10fps uplift from FSR without significant image quality loss. I find that it adds tiny marching ants all across the screen which I find distracting but that's personal preference.

FFR renders a circle in the centre of the screen at full resolution and then two larger concentric rings at lower resolutions, this works particularly well with the G2 because of the blurry edges of the image outside of the sweet spot.

If you're app_GPU is pegged at 36ms regardless of resolution then you're bottlenecked somewhere else and the GPU isn't holding you back. The performance overlay in openxr toolkit has a CPU bound warning when you get CPU bound; that should give you some more indication of what's happening.

Yeah the 60Hz flicker affects some people worse, personally it doesn't affect me so I'm free to use either.

Ok thanks for the clarification . 

Apparently the 1080ti doesn't support FSR/FFR. So those options are not shown to me in openxr toolkit. 

My app_gpu is around 18, and post_gpu is around 18/19.

i'll see what happens when changing resolutions, cheers

Spoiler

Ah I thought it was supported, I know the AMD cards are limited on FFR outside of DX12 but didn't realize that the 1080 wasn't.

If you have reprojection enabled and post_GPU is that high then something isn't right. There is a bug with the performance overlay when reprojection is off where it reads the post as being the same as app but that shouldn't apply if reprojection is on.

edit: are you sure that upscaling isn't supported? The openxr toolkit website only lists FFR as being restricted to GTX1600 and above cards. Also Disco on Thuds openxr discord channel is using it with a 1080ti for both MSFS and DCS.

Edited by edmuss

Ok im an idiot! 😂

I had mistaken openxr tools for openxr toolkit. 

Fsr is working, and with motion projection on i have a steady 45 fps now @ 100 percent res. 

And as far as i can tell vr is only bottlenecked by my gpu as changing res does affect frametime, and i only get the cpu bound message on the loading screen. 

Thanks again! 😁👍

Spoiler

Awesome, glad it's working a bit better now 🙂

• Thanks 1

Now that it works with a Reverb G2, how do I run it on the same PC that also has a Q2 via Airlink? It runs via SteamVR, but I want to run it with OpenComposite. So I switched to OpenComposite and definded the Oculus Runtime as active OpenXR-Runtime via the Runtimeswitcher. However, as soon as I start the Game via Virtual Desktop, it only runs in 2D. 

52 minutes ago, Hive said:

If I want to update to the current version of the OpenXR Toolkit, do I have to uninstall the old version first? Or is there anything else to consider?

just download and install, it will overwrite files

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Thanks 2

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

Just wow what a difference rocking between 50 - 65 map dependent etc with everything at high including clouds. 

Running a 5900x, 3090 and 64gb ram on a g2. Cant thank you enough for the guide has changed my dcs experience in VR.

Thanks again