OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

Just now, vladimusmaximus said:

Okay... so I've been running a ton of Reshade filters which really make the game look far better, especially with the VR sharpening and grain. I was also using Nvidia NIS through the SteamVR mod by FLhogger.

Question, is this really worth doing (OpenXR?)

yes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Hello, I switched to openxr that I downloaded as explained in the forum, I followed all the steps and when I launch dcs open beta it's not Openxr but steamvr that works?
I did what wrong? Thank you for your answers gentlemen you who managed to make it work

38 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

Hello, I switched to openxr that I downloaded as explained in the forum, I followed all the steps and when I launch dcs open beta it's not Openxr but steamvr that works?
I did what wrong? Thank you for your answers gentlemen you who managed to make it work

did you delete the D3DCompiler_47.dll?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

the only thing i did was to clean my dcs open beta
by dcs itself because the Skatezilla utility is in English and I don't know what to check or not in this utility.
moreover in open composite appears DCS is the same (as I have 2) I do not know which one he took into account either OB or Stable?

Skates utility takes into account both versions of DCS; you dont need to clean, just repair. When you repair, make sure you delete the D3Dcompiler dll afterwards.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Honestly, I don't understand anything about Skatezilla's utility, so I'm going to redo a repair via dcs and I'll delete save games and delete D3Dcompiler dll and normally it should work, right?What do you think Hammer1-1

This thread is quite long and quite tasking to go through it all to find verified info on this issue so bear with me fellows.

Post processing: Under Appearance I turned on the post processing on and the Trunite filter gives me clearer in-cockpit and outside display removing alaising to a considerable extent. Also color really shines with this filter. The issue is that the cockpit is a bit dark . I tried the contrast and brightness tuning and the effect is not readily seen.
Anyone know if those adjustments works?

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

54 minutes ago, PLUTON said:

Honestly, I don't understand anything about Skatezilla's utility, so I'm going to redo a repair via dcs and I'll delete save games and delete D3Dcompiler dll and normally it should work, right?What do you think Hammer1-1

dont delete your saved games folder. just run a repair, delete d3d, double check your settings and continue troubleshooting.

My wallpaper and skins

5 hours ago, horstweihrauch said:

https://gitlab.com/NobiWan/xrnecksafer
 Necksafer for openxr available?!😱

been working fine for me....

• Thanks 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

7 hours ago, javelina1 said:

been working fine for me....

I confirm, it’s working:)

54 minutes ago, skywalker22 said:

I managed today that openXR works fine - which all that has been instructed in post 1 here in this thread.

But I have a question, is it possible to have fpsVR app (which is steamVR app) in openXR? I doubt it, but I`m asking anyway.

Don’t think so. But you can have fps/timings displayed after activation in the tools overlay. 

• Like 1

Darkstar: Merged

openXR toolkit updated to 1.1.4  not sure what the changes are

Flight Rig: Ryzen 7 5800X; 32 Gig DDR4 3600; Focus 1000W; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 TI OC Edition; Corsair 500D Airflow VR: HP Reverb G2

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 3900X; 32 Gig DDR4 3000; Gigabyte 3070 TI OC Edition; Phanteks Eclipse P400

I’ve had a good poke around in the app but I get horrible ghosting when manoeuvring. I’m using the steam version, would that be the reason? I did a clean install too for this. On a 3090 and g2. I’ve tried messing with everything but nothing seems to eradicate it.

Best to provide some more info to try and troubleshoot, what settings do you have in both DCS and toolkit and what fps are you getting when it's ghosting?

You can transfer steam modules to standalone without any problems, just means downloading it all again. I think there's a guide on how to do it in the FAQs section of the ED website.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Did any one figure it out how to set the parameters inside System tab?

Params:

• Override resolution: Enable overriding the OpenXR target resolution (same as what the “custom render scale” in OpenXR Tools for WMR does).
    • Display resolution (per-eye): The resolution to use for each eye.
  • Motion reprojection (only with Windows Mixed Reality): Enable overriding the Motion Reprojection mode. Default means to use the system settings (from the OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality).
    • Lock motion reprojection

2 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

Did any one figure it out how to set the parameters inside System tab?

Params:

• Override resolution: Enable overriding the OpenXR target resolution (same as what the “custom render scale” in OpenXR Tools for WMR does).
    • Display resolution (per-eye): The resolution to use for each eye.
  • Motion reprojection (only with Windows Mixed Reality): Enable overriding the Motion Reprojection mode. Default means to use the system settings (from the OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality).
    • Lock motion reprojection

I am not sure if I understand your problem correctly but you can make those changes with pulling up the overlay xrtools

Darkstar: Merged

OXR for WMR update in the Microsoft Store

Screenshot 2022-06-18 082229.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, horstweihrauch said:

I am not sure if I understand your problem correctly but you can make those changes with pulling up the overlay xrtools

I mean, I don`t really understand each parameter, so not sure how to adjust accordingly. And I thought if any of you did some testing with different params, to see which setting is best. I could do it, but really show with my free time for this weekend.

I have G2 Reverb, 3080Ti. 

7 hours ago, skywalker22 said:

I mean, I don`t really understand each parameter, so not sure how to adjust accordingly. And I thought if any of you did some testing with different params, to see which setting is best. I could do it, but really show with my free time for this weekend.

I have G2 Reverb, 3080Ti. 

Resolution override sets the resolution of the render in the headset.  At 100% render resolution the rendered image in the G2 is 3176ish pixels wide, reducing the number will increase performance at a loss of visual clarity, inversely increasing the number will increase visual clarity at a loss of performance.  How much you increase/decrease by is personal choice (if at all), play around with it and try to find a sweet spot, personally for me I find 2800-2900 wide to be the best compromise of performance over quality.

Motion reprojection is a much more complicated subject and is concerned with producing smooth movement within the headset.

In general terms, in order to have perfectly smooth movement the render speed (Hz/fps) has to match or beat the refresh rate of the display panels (this is typically 90Hz/fps).  However, particularly in DCS it's hard to achieve 90fps on higher resolution headsets like the G2 without having to reduce settings massively which defeats the object of having a high resolution headset.

What motion reprojection does is when your GPU can't achieve refresh rate it reduces the frames rendered to a fraction of the refresh rate (in the case of openxr it's half, third or a quarter) and uses the previous and following frames to be rendered to generate a synthetic frame that is then interpolated in the middle to make it feel like your getting 90Hz.

This is all wonderful except sometimes the synthetic frame generated doesn't perfectly match up and causes visual distortions in the image, this is pparticularl apparent on the edges of ccockpits and rotor/prop blades where you have something moving slowly relative to something else.

It's personal choice to use it or not, if you don't and you can't achieve refresh rate then you will suffer from some image ghosting when you translate your head (slide it left/right/up/down/forward/backward) but rotational movement should be smooth, however you will suffer from no visual distortion and clarity will be better.

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

OXR for WMR update in the Microsoft Store

thanks, just added....

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

7 hours ago, edmuss said:

Resolution override sets the resolution of the render in the headset.  At 100% render resolution the rendered image in the G2 is 3176ish pixels wide, reducing the number will increase performance at a loss of visual clarity, inversely increasing the number will increase visual clarity at a loss of performance.  How much you increase/decrease by is personal choice (if at all), play around with it and try to find a sweet spot, personally for me I find 2800-2900 wide to be the best compromise of performance over quality.

Motion reprojection is a much more complicated subject and is concerned with producing smooth movement within the headset.

In general terms, in order to have perfectly smooth movement the render speed (Hz/fps) has to match or beat the refresh rate of the display panels (this is typically 90Hz/fps).  However, particularly in DCS it's hard to achieve 90fps on higher resolution headsets like the G2 without having to reduce settings massively which defeats the object of having a high resolution headset.

What motion reprojection does is when your GPU can't achieve refresh rate it reduces the frames rendered to a fraction of the refresh rate (in the case of openxr it's half, third or a quarter) and uses the previous and following frames to be rendered to generate a synthetic frame that is then interpolated in the middle to make it feel like your getting 90Hz.

This is all wonderful except sometimes the synthetic frame generated doesn't perfectly match up and causes visual distortions in the image, this is pparticularl apparent on the edges of ccockpits and rotor/prop blades where you have something moving slowly relative to something else.

It's personal choice to use it or not, if you don't and you can't achieve refresh rate then you will suffer from some image ghosting when you translate your head (slide it left/right/up/down/forward/backward) but rotational movement should be smooth, however you will suffer from no visual distortion and clarity will be better.

thx mate, really appreciate your effort in explaining. Will play with those settings a bit, but I doubt I will do any good or better then I`m having now 🙂