OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

I got two questions, since I want to find out if this is related to my AMD-GPU.

When I turn on MR, I get a "waterdrop-effect" in my G2, also quite noticable in the cockpit. But I also have this in SteamVR with turned on MR (WMR4SVR), especially looking at menus, text or the likes and moving my head ever so slightly. Also in SteamVR Home. In cockpit, its not noticable. If I turn MR off in WMR4SVR then there ist no such waterdrop-effect".

So actually my "waterdrop"-problem seem more linked to MR than to OpenXR

Do also Nvidia-Users have the same problem or are there AMD-users, that dont have this problem?

Second question:

When I turn on MR in OpenXR I immediatly get a hefty fps-drop. Where I had 50+fps before, I then have 27-30fps with the same settings as before. Anyone knows the reason for this?

Overall IMO OpenXR is far superior to SteamVR in DCS. With STeamVR I was mostly still using 2D, but with OpenXR I for sure am more time on VR vs 2D.

Thx.

I've not experienced the water drop effect in SVR but it's quite apparent in openxr, hopefully it will be improved upon.  It's the same for nvidia as well as AMD.  I run without reprojection and sit at 60-80fps, it ghosts a little in certain scenarios but generally it's plenty smooth enough, I'm flying low and slow though so that might make it less obvious.

The hefty drop is to do with the overheads needed to make the reprojection work.  Using the openxr dev tools performance overlay you can see app_GPU and post_GPU, these are the time for the VR render and the time for the overheads respectively.  Basically add the two together and that should dictate which refresh rate fraction bracket you're sitting in.

20ms app_GPU + 5ms post_GPU = 25ms (40fps) which means you've missed the 45Hz bracket (half of refresh rate) and it's dropped down to the next bracket which is third refresh rate (30Hz); this is why you appear to have suddenly lost a whole bunch of FPS.

There also needs to be considered is that the refresh rate brackets get progressively smaller each time (specifically 45/15/7.5 Hz gap between brackets) so the reprojection overhead eats up a much larger proportion of the available bracket.  I see the 30Hz bracket as a bailout and you should ideally tune to keep in the 45Hz bracket for the majority of the time.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

As i understand it , Amd 6000 gpu drivers are not yet optimised for motion reprojection . I use motion smoothing in Svr instead , and this is one of the reasons i have not yet installed OpenXR .

I'm also one of the lucky ones who don't see the 60 hz flicker , so the only time motion smoothing kicks in is on airfields/supercarrier .

4 hours ago, Wali763 said:

I got two questions, since I want to find out if this is related to my AMD-GPU.

When I turn on MR, I get a "waterdrop-effect" in my G2, also quite noticable in the cockpit. But I also have this in SteamVR with turned on MR (WMR4SVR), especially looking at menus, text or the likes and moving my head ever so slightly. Also in SteamVR Home. In cockpit, its not noticable. If I turn MR off in WMR4SVR then there ist no such waterdrop-effect".

So actually my "waterdrop"-problem seem more linked to MR than to OpenXR

Do also Nvidia-Users have the same problem or are there AMD-users, that dont have this problem?

Second question:

When I turn on MR in OpenXR I immediatly get a hefty fps-drop. Where I had 50+fps before, I then have 27-30fps with the same settings as before. Anyone knows the reason for this?

Overall IMO OpenXR is far superior to SteamVR in DCS. With STeamVR I was mostly still using 2D, but with OpenXR I for sure am more time on VR vs 2D.

Thx.

9700k @ stock , Aorus Pro Z390 wifi , 32gb 3200 mhz CL16 , 1tb EVO 970 , MSI RX 6800XT Gaming X TRIO , Seasonic Prime 850w Gold , Coolermaster H500m , Noctua NH-D15S , CH Pro throttle and T50CM2/WarBrD base on Foxxmounts , CH pedals , Reverb G2v2

6 hours ago, edmuss said:

I've not experienced the water drop effect in SVR but it's quite apparent in openxr, hopefully it will be improved upon.  It's the same for nvidia as well as AMD.  I run without reprojection and sit at 60-80fps, it ghosts a little in certain scenarios but generally it's plenty smooth enough, I'm flying low and slow though so that might make it less obvious.

The hefty drop is to do with the overheads needed to make the reprojection work.  Using the openxr dev tools performance overlay you can see app_GPU and post_GPU, these are the time for the VR render and the time for the overheads respectively.  Basically add the two together and that should dictate which refresh rate fraction bracket you're sitting in.

20ms app_GPU + 5ms post_GPU = 25ms (40fps) which means you've missed the 45Hz bracket (half of refresh rate) and it's dropped down to the next bracket which is third refresh rate (30Hz); this is why you appear to have suddenly lost a whole bunch of FPS.

There also needs to be considered is that the refresh rate brackets get progressively smaller each time (specifically 45/15/7.5 Hz gap between brackets) so the reprojection overhead eats up a much larger proportion of the available bracket.  I see the 30Hz bracket as a bailout and you should ideally tune to keep in the 45Hz bracket for the majority of the time.

Thx for the help with app_ and post_GPU. I read this (your) advices a few pages back already and it helped to optimize my settings, but there is still a big fps-gap between MR on and off. But since I cant/dont use it anyway, thats ok.

And considering Svsmokey`s comment about AMDs drivers not being optimized, I guess this really should be an AMD-thing. From what Ive heard, AMD is working hard to optimize their drivers for the upcoming RDNA3-generation, which also should give the older RDNA2-gen-GPUs a boost, one that I currently have. Maybe this upcoming update also resolves some of my VR-problems...

And maybe, if it holds true, that the upcoming Gen from Nvidia and AMD should have up to 120% perf gain above the 6900XT, this could also mean, that we finally could run DCS with real 90fps. But I guess, in that case we´ll use that gain to increase our videosettings, getting us back, where we are now but just with a better picture-quality.... 😉

For those using XRNeckSafer, beta 2 is out with motion smoothing Autorotation, works great!

• Like 1

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

2 hours ago, =LD=Icer said:

For those using XRNeckSafer, beta 2 is out with motion smoothing Autorotation, works great!

Am I right in assuming that this only works with WMR? So no joy with Varjo Aero and OpenXR (OpenComposite)?

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Just now, zildac said:

Am I right in assuming that this only works with WMR? So no joy with Varjo Aero and OpenXR (OpenComposite)?

I'm told, and have seen on the Varjo Discord, that it does indeed work with the Varjo Aero and OpenXR (OpenComposite)!

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Just now, =LD=Icer said:

I'm told, and have seen on the Varjo Discord, that it does indeed work with the Varjo Aero and OpenXR (OpenComposite)!

Thanks, must have missed that (Discord is a fire hose!) I'll go take a look

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

Hello

Did anyone else have this issue while launching DCS with OpenComposite "Unknown config option mirrorMode on line 2"? It works fine when i switch to steamvr.

I tried to repair dcs and reinstall opencomposite aswell as the manual install of the ddl. Nothing worked thill now. I hope someone can help me.

Thank you, cheers

image.png

Edited by Christopho

hace 39 minutos, Christopho dijo:

Hello

Did anyone else have this issue while launching DCS with OpenComposite "Unknown config option mirrorMode on line 2"? It works fine when i switch to steamvr.

I tried to repair dcs and reinstall opencomposite aswell as the manual install of the ddl. Nothing worked thill now. I hope someone can help me.

Thank you, cheers

image.png

just put a semicolon first in the second line of opencomposite ini

then if I remember well you'll se a error on line 7, make the same thing, 

I didn't try to delete the file, but think in the latest versions are no longer needed. In fact I have no longer the  file in my dcs bin folder

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

1 hour ago, firefox121 said:

just put a semicolon first in the second line of opencomposite ini

then if I remember well you'll se a error on line 7, make the same thing, 

I didn't try to delete the file, but think in the latest versions are no longer needed. In fact I have no longer the  file in my dcs bin folder

same

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

Thanks mbucchia, great stuff as always

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 4080 Super * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

9 hours ago, mbucchia said:

I wrote a page with some explanations about what's going on with OpenComposite and also listing all the common errors I've come across. Could be helpful:

https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/opencomposite.html

Great work!  @nikoel might be nice to add this to your first posting?

• Like 1

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Late to the party here gang but glad I eventually found this and can finally now skip Steam to play this title. Thanks for the detailed procedure here.  Following it to the letter helped on some issues but for the most part, this was about the same, "FPS wise" since I already optimized my machine with Thud's VR4DCS advice ages ago.  What is improved: 1) No more flickering when loading screens and missions! 2) Faster start of the game and missions too.  3) Using the OpenXR Toolkit to enhance visuals to eliminate the Washed-out look in VR.  Everything "Pops" now! 4) Playing with some other settings PLUS  OpenXR tools can improve frames, "Marginally" if you are trying for every FPS you can get but it is not a game changer like others boast here.  (Their systems were probably messed up in the first place.)  5) So far shimmering effects seem to be drastically reduced too but minimal time thus far; not all maps yet.  What doesn't work: 1) NOT USING Motion reprojection!  I noticed a ton of comments concerning stuttering cockpits and when close to the ground; when you look sideways down at it.  Turning settings to minimums with 70+ FPS did not help.  Motion reprojection was the only option that worked for me.  (Anyone else find an alternate fix?) An internet search came up with nothing.  Thanks!       

6 hours ago, Antibak said:

Motion reprojection was the only option that worked for me.  (Anyone else find an alternate fix?)

Unfortunately no, reprojection is still a bit flaky with the toolkit. Sometimes it seems to work ok and others it just spirals into a death dive and locks the framerate to 20fps.

• Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Since the last update of OB open composite no longer works and when I configure it puts me
this window which tells me that the access path is refused, what is the problem??
Thanks for the help
null

image.thumb.png.9055f736e7d3ce6b48822068053fbdd0.png
You probably need to delete D3DCompiler_47.dll inside the Bin folder of your DCS Install

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

You probably need to delete D3DCompiler_47.dll inside the Bin folder of your DCS Install

Sorry I'm wrong

3 hours ago, PLUTON said:

Since the last update of OB open composite no longer works and when I configure it puts me
this window which tells me that the access path is refused, what is the problem??

Thanks for the help

null

image.png

No problems with it for me. As I don't have any mods added I just installed the update and renamed the d3dcompiler_47.dll. If you have installed any mods, I would advise doing a "clean up/repair" and then running the update. Rename the d3dcompiler_47.dll or delete it and then run DCS. If that works then add your mods. As you have already applied the update, remove any mods, run a clean up/repair and go from there.

i9-13900k (stock), ASUS TUF 4090 OC, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, Corsair Vengeance Black 64GB 5200MHz DDR5, 1 x 1TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x 2TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB SATA III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W PCIe GEN 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, Corsair AIO iLink cooler, Corsair Graphite 780t Full Tower ATX Case (White), Meta Quest Pro VR headset, Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" UltraWide Dual Quad HD 240Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, Thrustmaster Viper Mission Pack, Thrustmaster Cougar F-16 throttle, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Thrustmaster F-18 stick, Thrustmaster TPR rudder, Winwing ICP, Edifer e25HD Luna HD speakers. 1 Gbps uplink and downlink FTTP. Windows 11. Hot tub, hot wife. Living the dream!

You say delete the d3dcompiler_47.dll.
or rename it.
What is the difference between renaming it or deleting it??
If I rename it what does it bring me as an advantage?
Nothing. Backup if you think you might try steam vr in the future

Just now, PLUTON said:

You say delete the d3dcompiler_47.dll.
or rename it.
What is the difference between renaming it or deleting it??
If I rename it what does it bring me as an advantage?

one or the other there is no disadvantage or advantage to one or the other ... either deleting or renaming will have the effect of the calls going to the system32 dll with the same name.

me i copy a copy of my System32\ d3dcompiler_47.dll into my Mod Manager and then use my mod manager to over right the one in DCS, because that means I just have a single process to mange for this and any other mods... 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg