OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

10 hours ago, Rhino1938 said:

Thank you now i had deleted open composite to re-install and their site is evidently down. The Vr gods are agin me  

@Rhino1938, just a touch of advice to maybe avoid some frustration later on. Regardless of what you read on the internet NEVER just delete a file because it's in someone's instructions to do so. If renaming the file (I use "ORIG-[name of file])" leave the renamed file in place. If you want to remove it simply create a "DCS Backup" folder and Cut\Paste it there. I even make a small Notepad txt file explaining what the file is, why I moved it and when, and save that with the file as down the road I may be clueless about it..

• Like 2

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

6 hours ago, jomonto said:

Hello,

I have everything installed and running, with no errors.

Just one issue. Previously, with Steam VR, I would start up DCS and Win Mixed Reality would start along with Steam VM, the glasses would turn on - and eventually DCS would fill the glasses and run. But now, after everything has been installed. When I start DCS, Windows Mixed Reality starts, I'm on top of the roof over looking the city and I see a floating desktop.

On the floating desktop is where DCS now runs... I don't get a full screen experience of DSC. It's on the virtual desktop, on the roof.

One other thing I've noticed, is that my Windows Mixed Reality setup/config screens don't look anything like what I have. Mine is a windows dialog (like) page that comes up with just a few generic settings. It's like you are showing a newer version than I have. How can I tell what version I am running?

Thank you for your time and help

john-

can you provide a screenshot?

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

1 hour ago, Hammer1-1 said:

can you provide a screenshot?

Hi Hammer, I just got to work...

But, I did find a youtube video showing what I'm talking about. This link starts at the point he is talking about the desktop.

So when I start DSC, it ends up full screen on "this" desktop. I can start DCS and it works, but it's in this environment, running on this floating desktop.

It was late last night when i finally got OpenXR running, so I'll spend some time today and see if I can find anything.

thank you for your time.

I just found this-

"...tried opening DCS, but all it gives me is a desktop window in the cliff house/city house. How the hell do I actually get DCS rendering in VR?."

they answered - "Just install windows mixed reality in steam, then when you start DCS it will start in VR mode. Windows mixed reality app comes on automatically and so does SteamVR."

So maybe OpenXR is not running after all??
I did tell Windows Mixed Reality to start with OpenXR.

I will troubleshoot more, when I get home tonight.

@jomonto 

I think you might not have DCS set to run in VR???  Are you running steam DCS?  they're functionally the same but I'm not 1000% sure steam based DCS can run OXR unless you run the exe without triggering it through steam?  I'm not sure though take that with a grain of salt.

@nikoel @edmuss

Hey does openxr work with steam versions of DCS?

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

11 hours ago, jomonto said:

On the floating desktop is where DCS now runs... I don't get a full screen experience of DSC. It's on the virtual desktop, on the roof.

One other thing I've noticed, is that my Windows Mixed Reality setup/config screens don't look anything like what I have. Mine is a windows dialog (like) page that comes up with just a few generic settings. It's like you are showing a newer version than I have. How can I tell what version I am running?

Yup me to

I dont have steam installed should I ?

@M1Combat

DCS was configured to start in VR.
But, after I did the repair/check thats in the instructions, I didn't check it... No - wait, it must still be configured, because when I start DCS - it then fires up the glasses & windows mixed reality. But I'll double check things tonight.

There is also another issue... downloading OpenCompositeLauncher. The link isn't working, so I hacked the link (thought i was being smart) and I might have dowloaded the incorrect version of the Launcher -(you can read the discussion I had with Mac4ps - above). The link still isn't working... so  guess I'm stuck until we can download the OpenCompositeLauncher.

thanks-

6 hours ago, jomonto said:

Hi Hammer, I just got to work...

But, I did find a youtube video showing what I'm talking about. This link starts at the point he is talking about the desktop.

So when I start DSC, it ends up full screen on "this" desktop. I can start DCS and it works, but it's in this environment, running on this floating desktop.

It was late last night when i finally got OpenXR running, so I'll spend some time today and see if I can find anything.

thank you for your time.

So its not running in VR, its running on desktop THROUGH WMR.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

@Hammer1-1

That's what it sounds like.

But it looks like I downloaded the wrong OpenCompositeLauncher.
I just downloaded the correct file. I'll install it when I get home after work.

So with the wrong launcher running, it makes sense, not starting in WMR and only in VR.

I'll update when I get the new launcher installed tonight.

thanks,

-john

2 hours ago, jomonto said:

@Hammer1-1

That's what it sounds like.

But it looks like I downloaded the wrong OpenCompositeLauncher.
I just downloaded the correct file. I'll install it when I get home after work.

So with the wrong launcher running, it makes sense, not starting in WMR and only in VR.

I'll update when I get the new launcher installed tonight.

thanks,

-john

Well it kinda looks like to me you started DCS from within the WMR desktop app and not the other way around. The only time Ive ever done something like this was when I just randomly tried to play grand theft auto online in VR using the desktop app and thats exactly what it looked like. Go into the VR tab in DCS settings and make sure that VR enable is ticked. You launch DCS in VR, let it automatically load WMR for you and itll take you straight into VR.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

@hammer1-1

I finally have it running.
I think my main problem is that there is a Windows Mixed Reality for Steam and just a Windows Mixed Reality.
I got stumped, and decided to delete both steam products, then found just the WMR and installed that.

Now I'll look at the OpenXR Toolkit.

thanks,

-john

11 hours ago, jomonto said:

that... I don't know...

the original weblink on the page is this: https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/runtimeswitcher.php?branch=openxr
I just removed ?branch=openxr and it worked.

None of it is working for me. I can't download the individual 32/64 bit files, nor the system wide launcher. 

Looks like whomever is hosting it is having some serious issues atm. Been this way for over 24hrs for me so far...

@Dangerzone

Go back to the main page, https://gitlab.com/znixian/OpenOVR/-/tree/openxr
The scroll down to the Reporting a Bug section. There is a link to join the Discord server.

After you are in the OpenComposite discord server, go to the General-help-wmr section. In this section, there is a pinned message at the top, with the file that you can download.

Try that-

• Thanks 2

15 hours ago, M1Combat said:

@nikoel @edmuss

Hey does openxr work with steam versions of DCS?

I'm not entirely sure, in theory it should do but can't say for sure. To the best of my knowledge open composite only needs to know the locations of the executables to be able to hook into them; steam hides stuff away in the library but the executable is still there.

I know that people who have had issues trying to get it to work with steam have switched to standalone and had no difficulties.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 7/13/2022 at 6:43 PM, Rhino1938 said:

I am so confused the original instruction say to delete D3DCompiler_47.dll, and now we are to rename it ?  i have the same problem as MStewart40 (Has anyone else had the problem with WMR + G2 + Openxr, when I load DCS in Openxr it seems to load fine but I end up with no video just audio in my headset? The game is running on the monitor in vr but nothing on the G2 headset. Thank you) Why doesn't DCS get with the world and incorporate the VR into their sim ? At 83  i am fed up with having to DELETE , RENAME, DOWNLOAD, ETC ETC. I guess you can tell i am totally frustrated 

Hello: it is easy to read the frustration you are dealing with. Please if I may ask you some direct questions to get clear answers to things you have communicated that I do not understand.

the G2 needs Windows Mixed Reality so I will assume you do. WMR needs OpenXR Developer Tools For Windows Mixed Reality so I will assume you have this program too. 

When you say when I load DCS in OpenXR are you talking "OpenXR Developer tools" or are you talking "OpenXR Toolkit Companion" ?

Have you opened WMR Program gone to "SETTINGS"  gone to "ENVIRONMENT" and Cleared Environment Data?

I have a G2 I run DCS.  All of the Programs I have installed to Run DCS are.

WMR

The WMR addon program "SkySpaces App" that has 1 low poly home page for low Poly Memory loading environment to save memory to help DCS run. 

(WMR runs during your VR gaming reducing the Memory used is a plus. You don't need a High poly count memory hog home environment open when playing DCS)

OpenXR Developer Tools

OpenXR ToolKit Companion

Open Composit (I do not use Per Game Install) IF YOU DID make sure you used the correct Driver DLLs  32 bit and 64 bit if your system is a 32 bit you must Download/run the 32 bit DLL's)

I get it is a lot of Programs to install but, if done right, it works.

Also look up how to Clear all your SHADER Files in DCS. This can be a problem too. You may need to Clear them.

I hope the Frustration works its way out and you get the game to run in VR right.

• Like 1