OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

Thank you...  I suppose it "probably" does but I'm not sure...  I know the desktop shortcuts that steam creates are more of a trigger to steam that passes the game ID, then steam runs the exe...  so it "should" just work...  but who knows.

I'm with you though... best to move to the standalone openbeta IMO.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

8 hours ago, DishDoggie said:

Hello: it is easy to read the frustration you are dealing with. Please if I may ask you some direct questions to get clear answers to things you have communicated that I do not understand.

the G2 needs Windows Mixed Reality so I will assume you do. WMR needs OpenXR Developer Tools For Windows Mixed Reality so I will assume you have this program too. 

When you say when I load DCS in OpenXR are you talking "OpenXR Developer tools" or are you talking "OpenXR Toolkit Companion" ?

Have you opened WMR Program gone to "SETTINGS"  gone to "ENVIRONMENT" and Cleared Environment Data?

I have a G2 I run DCS.  All of the Programs I have installed to Run DCS are.

WMR

The WMR addon program "SkySpaces App" that has 1 low poly home page for low Poly Memory loading environment to save memory to help DCS run. 

(WMR runs during your VR gaming reducing the Memory used is a plus. You don't need a High poly count memory hog home environment open when playing DCS)

D3DCompiler_47.dll 

OpenXR ToolKit Companion

Open Composit (I do not use Per Game Install) IF YOU DID make sure you used the correct Driver DLLs  32 bit and 64 bit if your system is a 32 bit you must Download/run the 32 bit DLL's)

I get it is a lot of Programs to install but, if done right, it works.

Also look up how to Cleared Environment Data. This can be a problem too. You may need to Clear them.

I hope the Frustration works its way out and you get the game to run in VR right.

Hello I installed Windows Mixed Reality, OpenXR Developer Tools For Windows Mixed Reality, and Open Composit (not per game)  I have not installed OpenXR ToolKit Companion, or "SkySpaces App" i have Cleared Environment Data.  i have not cleared any shaders . I will check on that as well as the 32 vs 64 bit driver DLLs . I have repaired & cleaned  DCS using the Utility app, as per instructions , deleted the D3DCompiler_47.dll . Steam is not installed. The way i was trying to start DCS in VR was : I opened Open composite , then OpenXR ToolKit Companion , then powered up HP G2, that opened  up the "mixed reality portal" did the centering of the headset , then started DCS , open instant action selected aircraft and select fly. audio switches to the HP G2 visual does not but is on the desktop . The reason i did not install the OpenXR ToolKit Companion, was that the OP at the start said to get the VR working first 

Edited by Rhino1938

38 minutes ago, Rhino1938 said:

Hello I installed Windows Mixed Reality, OpenXR Developer Tools For Windows Mixed Reality, and Open Composit (not per game)  I have not installed OpenXR ToolKit Companion, or "SkySpaces App" i have Cleared Environment Data.  i have not cleared any shaders . I will check on that as well as the 32 vs 64 bit driver DLLs . I have repaired & cleaned  DCS using the Utility app, as per instructions , deleted the D3DCompiler_47.dll . Steam is not installed. The way i was trying to start DCS in VR was : I opened Open composite , then OpenXR ToolKit Companion , then powered up HP G2, that opened  up the "mixed reality portal" did the centering of the headset , then started DCS , open instant action selected aircraft and select fly. audio switches to the HP G2 visual does not but is on the desktop . The reason i did not install the OpenXR ToolKit Companion, was that the OP at the start said to get the VR working first 

Curious if you have and AMD GPU? Mine(6900XT) will do as you describe running the "latest" driver. Had to roll back to 22.5.1.

Mine though, will go in a cycle so to speak... Normal day, I start only WMR put on G2 and I have a rapid, faint flicker...restart it, much more rapid, faint flicker... restart.

3rd time I will either have a normal launch, or another slower flicker session.

And even get random sessions of having the DCS VR mirror on my monitor, but only audio in G2.

If AMD GPU is not your issue then I would rerun the open composite launcher, flip the default back to SteamVR and back to OC then reboot system.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, Rhino1938 said:

If I am wrong it will not be my 1st time. But I feel You MUST install the OpenXR ToolKit Composit Program.

I have a AMD MotherBoard I have a AMD RX 6900 XT Red Devil Video running the Latest Drivers.

I first plug all my Devices in Joystick HOTAS Rudder Peddles and VR HEADSET HP G2 IS OFF NO POWER.

I Open OpenXR Developer Tools 1st

I Open WMR 2nd it will say it is ready and to plug in the Headset.

I plug in the Headset 3rd

I Start DCS World 4th

It will Boot up and go into a entering VR mode just like when useing STEAM VR but the load screen will open then close 2 times before Launching DCS. This is why I feel you MUST Install the OpenXR ToolKit Companion Program for it to launce Open Composite Correctly.

Point of all things I do not know. If Steam VR would be needed by any of the Installed Programs to run and You do not have Steam installed it may never work. I just do not Know the answer to this. if it would be a Problem for you. If ALL the Programs are Installed this should Work. Good Luck

CPU Intel I7 7700, GTX 1080ti, and 32 GB ram.

Well i tried just powering on the HP G2 and it opened up the VR portal and the OpenXR Developer Tools, and the settings menu i cleared environmental data and the opened DCS with the same results that io have had in the past. I will install the OpenXR ToolKit companion, and reset the Open Composite to see if my sanity returns

1 hour ago, Rhino1938 said:

CPU Intel I7 7700, GTX 1080ti, and 32 GB ram.

Well i tried just powering on the HP G2 and it opened up the VR portal and the OpenXR Developer Tools, and the settings menu i cleared environmental data and the opened DCS with the same results that io have had in the past. I will install the OpenXR ToolKit companion, and reset the Open Composite to see if my sanity returns

Well that did not work

5 hours ago, Rhino1938 said:

Id like to point out that you dont really need sky spaces to get it to work. However, its a bonus. All it does is free up an extra gigabyte of vram and that allows a little bit more leeway which causes the GPU frametime to spike.

If you installed OpenXR correctly, all you would need to do is start DCS in VR with WMR running in the background...and even then if you launch in DCS, it will automatically deploy anyways. All you really need to do is make sure that Open Composite is installed, your PD is set to 1.0 within DCS, OpenXR tools installed and a custom render scale at 90% or lower, and that your d3dcompiler_47.dll was deleted. You dont really need the OpenXR toolkit for VR to work.

You also dont have to delete the shaders; its preferable that you do, but not really. Thats been the norm for many months now, but it used to be mandatory. Be prepared to wait if you do though... If you have WMR to run without starting steam, all you need to do is just load DCS and the rest is automatic.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

13 hours ago, DishDoggie said:

...the WMR addon program "SkySpaces App" that has 1 low poly home page for low Poly Memory loading environment to save memory to help DCS run. 

(WMR runs during your VR gaming reducing the Memory used is a plus. You don't need a High poly count memory hog home environment open when playing DCS)

@DishDoggie

This is a great tip. I just installed SkySpaces and set it to the empty room. Makes perfect sense, why have all the high poly content running while playing DCS.
NOW... I have to figure out which one of the 800 new settings that you can mess with in the OpenXR toolkit, to improve things.

Thanks,

-john

• Like 1

@Rhino1938

I was going in circles like you, until I deleted everything Steam related.

• I had Windows Mixed Reality for Steam - deleted it.
  • I had SteamVR - I deleted it.
  • Rebooted the machine, then opened the windows store and down loaded Windows Mixed Reality.
  • Double checked the OpenCompiste tool, to make sure I had OpenXR selected.
  • Rebooted one more time, tried it and it worked.

THEN, I installed the Toolkit.

Hope you get it running -

• Like 3

19 hours ago, jomonto said:

@Rhino1938

I was going in circles like you, until I deleted everything Steam related.

• I had Windows Mixed Reality for Steam - deleted it.
  • I had SteamVR - I deleted it.
  • Rebooted the machine, then opened the windows store and down loaded Windows Mixed Reality.
  • Double checked the OpenCompiste tool, to make sure I had OpenXR selected.
  • Rebooted one more time, tried it and it worked.

THEN, I installed the Toolkit.

Hope you get it running -

Already had the WMR but deleted and re-installed, checked everything you mentioned, Fired up everything as recommended and got the same <profanity>ty results . But then fighting off my now almost uncontrolled frenzy and frustration i had a wonderful experience. I switched over to MSFS2020 and viola 1 button turns on everything for VR no BS, no pain, no frustration. The world is still spinning on its axis, the sun is shining, and the birds are singing. 

• Like 2

Alright maybe this is the right thread for this: I recently bought a new Reverb G2, a definite upgrade over my old Rift S. The handful of times I've successfully been able to launch DCS (Steam version), it's been really cool.

The bad news...

Holy God in Heaven what an absolute disaster of a situation on the front end, trying to launch the software. You can try it the same way 10 times and get 8 different results, and 7 of those are unplayable. The old theme music from The Benny Hill Show starts running through my head every time my WMR Home starts competing with my SteamVR Home. I don't want a virtual Home. I want to play DCS. Please no more damn Homes.

I gather from the 95 pages that there's definitely maybe a solution involving baling wire, binder twine, & duck tape. I'm sure it's somewhere back on page 32 or 47 or 52 or so, but if anyone can help save me from this interminable Benny Hill skit with a set of short instructions, or else point me to a page in this thread where those instructions can be found, I would greatly appreciate it.

What is the correct sequence for launching DCS Steam on a Reverb G2?

Edit: Ok I'm just reading the opening post, which is "constantly updated" with all the info that the thread revealed. So hopefully I can find my answers there.

Edited by Bluecat
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bluecat said:

Ok I'm just reading the opening post, which is "constantly updated" with all the info that the thread revealed. So hopefully I can find my answers there

YA that seems to work for most folks but i think the idea is to drop steam out of the the whole thing good luck

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rhino1938 said:

Already had the WMR but deleted and re-installed, checked everything you mentioned, Fired up everything as recommended and got the same <profanity>ty results . But then fighting off my now almost uncontrolled frenzy and frustration i had a wonderful experience. I switched over to MSFS2020 and viola 1 button turns on everything for VR no BS, no pain, no frustration. The world is still spinning on its axis, the sun is shining, and the birds are singing. 

openVR stuff.rar

Here. Read the first post and accomplish steps 1-6 EXCEPT #3 + 4. Then drag and drop these files into your DCS main directory. Dont bother with the OpenComposite file in here (honeslty you just really need to drop d3dCompiler_47, opencomposite.ini and openvr_api  into the bin directory) , just leave it alone for now. Start DCS normally and let it open up WMR and see if that works.  And to be bluntly honest, this method should have been left alone as everything newer than this just got complicated for no reason. Not sure if the shaders I have in this file still work, but thats an easy fix.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

8 hours ago, Bluecat said:

Alright maybe this is the right thread for this: I recently bought a new Reverb G2, a definite upgrade over my old Rift S. The handful of times I've successfully been able to launch DCS (Steam version), it's been really cool.

The bad news...

Holy God in Heaven what an absolute disaster of a situation on the front end, trying to launch the software. You can try it the same way 10 times and get 8 different results, and 7 of those are unplayable. The old theme music from The Benny Hill Show starts running through my head every time my WMR Home starts competing with my SteamVR Home. I don't want a virtual Home. I want to play DCS. Please no more damn Homes.

I gather from the 95 pages that there's definitely maybe a solution involving baling wire, binder twine, & duck tape. I'm sure it's somewhere back on page 32 or 47 or 52 or so, but if anyone can help save me from this interminable Benny Hill skit with a set of short instructions, or else point me to a page in this thread where those instructions can be found, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edit: Ok I'm just reading the opening post, which is "constantly updated" with all the info that the thread revealed. So hopefully I can find my answers there.

https://boxthislap.org/disable-home-and-layout-on-steamvr/

Lol Sorry the one Menu Picture is not in English in this how to guide. However you can see the last setting and the place the button has been moved to.  I hope it is still useable and works for you.

Edited by DishDoggie

8 hours ago, Bluecat said:

For me, turn on headset and let it warm up (so it doesn't condensate, I never unplug it though), fire up WMRP till the home screen comes up, start DCS.

That's it.

Steamvr is not set to auto start when WMRP is started, I use the infinite expanse environment in WMRP rather than the cliff house (to save the half a gig of VRAM).

DCS is running via open composite set using the global switcher. Double click the desktop icon and the WMR home screen with shatter into triangles, then drop back to the home after a second or two and then reshatter. DCS will then start immediately after then second shatter.

It works every time without fail with no hoops to jump through 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

How to solve this? I got this error after start DCS:

EDIT SOLVED, added semicolons at the begining of lines 2 and 7 in opencomposite.ini file in dcs/bin folder:

;Mirror mode outputs a shared texture for use by OBS plugin
;mirrorMode=disabled

;Performance stats enables writing of performance stats
; If enabled press F11 to start stats capture to file
; File is currently output to \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Assetto Corsa Competizione\AC2\Binaries\Win64\teststats.csv
;performanceStats=disabled

;Hidden area mesh fix for G2, may work on other headsets
enableHiddenMeshFix=enabled

;Use OpenXR layers to handle GUI overlays and HUDs, if set to false will render internally directly onto swap chain before submitting
enableLayers=true
forceConnectedTouch=disabled
renderCustomHands=disabled

oxr.png

Edited by Falcon_S

Немој ништа силом, узми већи чекић!

MSI Tomahawk MAX | Ryzen 7 3700x | 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | RX 5700 XT OC Red Dragon 8GB | VPC Throttle CM3 + VPC Constellation ALPHA on VPC WarBRD Base | HP Reverb G2

Youtube Follow Me on TWITCH! 

12 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

openVR stuff.rar 3.1 MB · 26 downloads

Here. Read the first post and accomplish steps 1-6 EXCEPT #3 + 4. Then drag and drop these files into your DCS main directory. Dont bother with the OpenComposite file in here (honeslty you just really need to drop d3dCompiler_47, opencomposite.ini and openvr_api  into the bin directory) , just leave it alone for now. Start DCS normally and let it open up WMR and see if that works.  And to be bluntly honest, this method should have been left alone as everything newer than this just got complicated for no reason. Not sure if the shaders I have in this file still work, but thats an easy fix.

I appreciate the feedback. I chose the systemwide install after much deliberation with the OpenXR and OpenComposite Discord Teams (and talking to others on the DCS VR Discord). This thread has almost 200,000 views and for vast majority it works without a hitch. It's just that they are busy enjoying DCS rather than posting on here. Amongst many advantages, my favourite is that this type of install provides continuous updates which are automagically fetched and created

It is true that for some people the 'per app' install works better

I am running a fine line between keeping the guide up to date, making it comprehensive but short enough for people to follow the steps without too many difficulties (or god forbid follow some Youtube video which has been outdated when it was originally published)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, nikoel said:

I appreciate the feedback. I chose the systemwide install after much deliberation with the OpenXR and OpenComposite Discord Teams (and talking to others on the DCS VR Discord). This thread has almost 200,000 views and for vast majority it works without a hitch. It's just that they are busy enjoying DCS rather than posting on here. Amongst many advantages, my favourite is that this type of install provides continuous updates which are automagically fetched and created

I am running a fine line between keeping the guide up to date, making it comprehensive but short enough for people to follow the steps without too many difficulties (or god forbid follow some Youtube video which has been outdated when it was originally published)

I do not have this SteamVR automatic launch is unticked   ( does that mean you have steam installed ?  ) could that be my problem ?

42 minutes ago, Rhino1938 said:

I do not have this SteamVR automatic launch is unticked   ( does that mean you have steam installed ?  ) could that be my problem ?

should look like this

Screenshot 2022-07-17 150553.jpg

6 hours ago, nikoel said:

Yeah but out of all the people who used it, does the vast majority actually perfer it or say anything? I dont know, maybe something was updated recently that makes it more user friendly but the first method was practically fail proof - and still works 100% of the time. If its simple, fail proof, and even an idiot can do it the first time around (like myself) then IMHO thats perfect.  So whats the actual difference between the first iteration and the newest with regards to performance?  Im just curious, thats all.

My wallpaper and skins

19 hours ago, edmuss said:

For me, turn on headset and let it warm up (so it doesn't condensate, I never unplug it though), fire up WMRP till the home screen comes up, start DCS.

. . . Double click the desktop icon and the WMR home screen [will] shatter into triangles, then drop back to the home after a second or two and then reshatter. DCS will then start immediately after then second shatter.

Thanks for the post. Things do seem to be going better.

20 hours ago, edmuss said:

That's it.

Steamvr is not set to auto start when WMRP is started, I use the infinite expanse environment in WMRP rather than the cliff house (to save the half a gig of VRAM).

DCS is running via open composite set using the global switcher. Double click the desktop icon and the WMR home screen with shatter into triangles, then drop back to the home after a second or two and then reshatter. DCS will then start immediately after then second shatter.

It works every time without fail with no hoops to jump through 🙂

Again, thanks for your help. I do have a question:

When I double click the desktop DCS icon, it does the shatter routine as expected, but it doesn't "drop back into home after a second". It shatters, then it opens DCS but at the same time it also opens SteamVR and puts the SteamVR overlay on my desktop. This is in addition to the WMR window which is also DCS & has refused to "go Home".

I get the idea that the whole point of OpenComposite, et al, is to bypass SteamVR, so my guess would be that it wouldn't/shouldn't be opening at all. (Note: I have unchecked the SteamVR auto-launch box when WMR opens. It's not opening with WMR but rather when I open DCS).

So I'm getting DCS to open consistently. That's an improvement. The bad news is that performance seems far less than what I would expect & I'm not confident that I've really bypassed SteamVR. I get the feeling that Steam & WMR are still fighting it out for control.

Should SteamVR still be opening if I've done everything correctly?

Edited by Bluecat

49 minutes ago, Bluecat said:

When I double click the desktop DCS icon, it does the shatter routine as expected, but it doesn't "drop back into home after a second". It shatters, then it opens DCS but at the same time it also opens SteamVR and puts the SteamVR overlay on my desktop. This is in addition to the WMR window which is also DCS & has refused to "go Home".

I get the idea that the whole point of OpenComposite, et al, is to bypass SteamVR, so my guess would be that it wouldn't/shouldn't be opening at all. (Note: I have unchecked the SteamVR auto-launch box when WMR opens. It's not opening with WMR but rather when I open DCS).

So I'm getting DCS to open consistently. That's an improvement. The bad news is that performance seems far less than what I would expect & I'm not confident that I've really bypassed SteamVR. I get the feeling that Steam & WMR are still fighting it out for control.

I'm not sure what shattering means  in this context... But if steamvr is opening then you have not done everything correctly.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

I'm not sure what shattering means  in this context... But if steamvr is opening then you have not done everything correctly.

When WMRP opens a VR app the screen breaks into hundreds of triangles that then disperse, it's just a generic loading animation.  With open composite it does it twice concurrently before DCS loads.

4 hours ago, Bluecat said:

You're still using steamvr for DCS, essentially open composite isn't hooking into the openVR runtimes so it's still starting up steamvr when requested.

With the runtime switcher running, set open compostie as the default runtime and that should prompt it to hook into openVR files.

image.png

When you have run DCS and it's hooked in once you can hit the configure button and it will bring up a list of VR apps that have been hooked into and you can set a specific runtime for each one as needed.

Delete the d3dcompiler from the DCS/bin folder (or cut it out to a backup location) and open composite should then open up as I described.  If you still get the -2 error then try deleting the compiler again, DCS seems to be able to ressurect it occasionally.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 7/15/2022 at 11:40 AM, edmuss said:

I'm not entirely sure, in theory it should do but can't say for sure. To the best of my knowledge open composite only needs to know the locations of the executables to be able to hook into them; steam hides stuff away in the library but the executable is still there.

I know that people who have had issues trying to get it to work with steam have switched to standalone and had no difficulties.

Another option may be to get Skatezilla's DCS Updater\Launcher GUI Utility and start it (even the Steam version) with the "VR On" button..  

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR