OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

For reference it appears that since the latest open beta, the d3dcompiler file is now removed from the DCS/bin folder which means no more having to delete it🙂

• Like 3

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Nice...

Color me optimistic but I suspect there may be a few more things not in the patch notes that may help OXR installs go smoothly...  Maybe...

I've seen ED do stuff like that before :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Indeed, it's great to see that ED appear to be facilitating integration of it in the background 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

11 часов назад, edmuss сказал:

For reference it appears that since the latest open beta, the d3dcompiler file is now removed from the DCS/bin folder which means no more having to delete it🙂

Yep, somewhat around a month ago in a Russian forum they've said they sought about removing/updating this file and good to see that they've delivered. Several ED employees there are flying in VR with OpenXR and not shy to tell about the benefits of it, which tells something about how they see vanilla VR and gives some hopes for improvement in the future. 

• Like 1

For reference it appears that since the latest open beta, the d3dcompiler file is now removed from the DCS/bin folder which means no more having to delete it
I noticed this too.
Searched the bin folder for a long time for that file.
Good to take that hassle of having to delete that file away.

Windows 10 Pro 64bit|Ryzen 5600 @3.8Ghz|EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra|Corair vengence 32G DDR4 @3200mhz|MSI B550|Thrustmaster Flightstick| Virpil CM3 Throttle| Thrustmaster TFRP Rudder Pedal /Samsung Odyssey Plus Headset

13 hours ago, M1Combat said:

You're setting the permissions for that folder to allow any app that's currently installed or will be installed in the future...  by you or by some malicious website or malware...  to have write permissions to that folder.  Sure if nothing goes wrong then you're fine... but it's a security feature.  It's a small one...  but it is one.  Giving all users write access is less than optimal.  Running a known trusted program as admin (or setting it to always run as admin if you like) is a much better solution.

Do what you will with the info.  I agree it's unlikely that you'll ever suffer the consequences of doing that...  but now you can :).

Hm, that is right. However running it as admin creates another problem. All files and folders created by that program are created with admin as an owner, which means you can't modify them easily. So if the application creates a configuration file (which the OpenComposite does) then the file cannot be edit that file with a normally started Notepad.

I guess the best solution would be to first run it as admin for the first time, then look what it has created in its own install folder and then add write permissions only to those created files/directories.

Or the application could follow the Windows design philosophy and save its data to %appdata%, but only the author can do this, not us.

25 minutes ago, horstweihrauch said:

Does anyone know if AMD fixed the VR issues in newest patch?

They didn't, 22.5.1 is still the way to go. 

• Thanks 1

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.

I have used openxr for some time and was initially pleased but now im struggling to get a smooth VR performance on my reverb G2

Have updated all drivers , open xr and composite

Pc: 11700k overclocked to 5.1g

64gb ddr4 running at 3600mhz

3x 1tb NVME drives(DCS open beta on its own 1gb WD Black NVME)

RTX3080ti founders edition

Power 1000w corsair

I am running DCS at medium to low settings and still getting double image  and stutter when looking out side windows. I have followed guides for Nvidia and experimented with different settings as well .

Just cannot get this right and would really appreciate some help if anyone has any ideas. Tempted to try steamVR again

Thanks in advance

2 hours ago, Mart57 said:

I have used openxr for some time and was initially pleased but now im struggling to get a smooth VR performance on my reverb G2

Power 1000w corsair

I am running DCS at medium to low settings and still getting double image  and stutter when looking out side windows. I have followed guides for Nvidia and experimented with different settings as well .

Just cannot get this right and would really appreciate some help if anyone has any ideas. Tempted to try steamVR again

Thanks in advance

Have you fully cleaned and tuned your system? Use thuds guide for reference, your problems likely aren't down to your hardware unless you're doing silly things like running 400% resolution😁

Firstly, identify what's causing the poor performance, then you can look at solutions.

Hey all - I was using OpenXR successfully (albeit hardly optimized) for the last few weeks.  I just migrated my DCS install over to a new NVME 2TB drive and now its launching in SteamVR again.

When i go to the OpenComposite switcher, the DCS icon in the Configure tab is showing the DCS "generic" icon instead of the DCS logo.  is there a step i am missing to point it back to the new DCS location?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

21 minutes ago, dooom said:

Hey all - I was using OpenXR successfully (albeit hardly optimized) for the last few weeks.  I just migrated my DCS install over to a new NVME 2TB drive and now its launching in SteamVR again.

When i go to the OpenComposite switcher, the DCS icon in the Configure tab is showing the DCS "generic" icon instead of the DCS logo.  is there a step i am missing to point it back to the new DCS location?

I think in theory, once it's been run with the switcher installed it might then relink back to it? It might be a question to pose on discord 🙂

Is there a process for "uninstalling" opencomposite?  I think I need a do-over.

I've always run 60Hz,high DCS, and 100%, no MR & was butter smooth. Now I'm getting tons of jitter even at 30fps

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

ok - i got it to run in OpenXR again... now i have two icons in the config of the switcher... the generic windows icon for dcs and the proper dcs logo.  It worked fine for a bit but now when i launch DCS it will bring up the in game menu just fine in the Reverb... but when i launch to fly the Reverb screen goes black yet the game is showing "in VR" on my 2D WMR window on the desktop.  the cockpit will flash very briefly nthe headset before going blank.

I repaired and deleted the .dll again but still have the problem.  Works fine with SteamVR

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

53 minutes ago, dooom said:

ok - i got it to run in OpenXR again... now i have two icons in the config of the switcher... the generic windows icon for dcs and the proper dcs logo.  It worked fine for a bit but now when i launch DCS it will bring up the in game menu just fine in the Reverb... but when i launch to fly the Reverb screen goes black yet the game is showing "in VR" on my 2D WMR window on the desktop.  the cockpit will flash very briefly nthe headset before going blank.

I repaired and deleted the .dll again but still have the problem.  Works fine with SteamVR

Having the same issue since the last update.  Though it will only happen in a cockpit, opens fine at the in game menu.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

Can someone try to download and unzip the Open Composite Launcher real quick and let me know if it works.

When trying to open the zip file I get an error saying the file has errors and can't be opened.

Perhaps they updated it and it got corrupted?

EDIT: Tried again and it works. Maybe they did pull a quick one. Maybe Windows is trolling me...

Edited by KBALLZZ

On 7/23/2022 at 4:02 PM, Mart57 said:

Power 1000w corsair

Thanks in advance

Try SteamVR on the same settings and see if you reach the same level of clarity and smoothness. Last time I checked I still ran back to OpenXR.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.

38 minutes ago, Marco Schaap said:

Try SteamVR on the same settings and see if you reach the same level of clarity and smoothness. Last time I checked I still ran back to OpenXR.

I dunno... seems something happened with the latest release. I've always ran my G2 at 60Hz, which required no need for motion reprojection.

Now it's as jittery as 90Hz without MR. Or I could run 90Hz and lock the frame rate in Radeon software to using Rivatuner, no motion repro and it was fine.

But I can't get jitter free with anything unless I use motion repro.

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, Sr. said:

I dunno... seems something happened with the latest release. I've always ran my G2 at 60Hz, which required no need for motion reprojection.

Now it's as jittery as 90Hz without MR. Or I could run 90Hz and lock the frame rate in Radeon software to using Rivatuner, no motion repro and it was fine.

But I can't get jitter free with anything unless I use motion repro.

Upon further review...

It appears the issue I'm having is with the latest DCS OpenBeta update.

I just did a new install of the previous stable version 2.7.14.25228 and everything is back to normal.

BTW, not a fan of the new, sparkly FA-18 gun fire. Just seems cartoonish.

--Arthur C Clark

Inversely mines running like a dream on latest OB.

I've also discovered that running FSR>100 gives a better image stability than <100.

Apparently upscaling in openxr toolkit doesn't behave the same as vrperfkit, above 100% doesn't act as cheap supersampling at performance cost but infact just changes the render target method I think; I've not gotten my head around exactly what the differences are yet.

Foothold caucasus, G2 at 100% (3160 wide), FSR 150%, 60hz and I'm reliably sitting at 12-13ms frametimes which is nice 🙂

Just now, edmuss said:

Inversely mines running like a dream on latest OB.

I've also discovered that running FSR>100 gives a better image stability than <100.

Apparently upscaling in openxr toolkit doesn't behave the same as vrperfkit, above 100% doesn't act as cheap supersampling at performance cost but infact just changes the render target method I think; I've not gotten my head around exactly what the differences are yet.

Foothold caucasus, G2 at 100% (3160 wide), FSR 150%, 60hz and I'm reliably sitting at 12-13ms frametimes which is nice 🙂

I turned on the OXRTK developer counters and noted while in openbeta, the CPU counter would immediately flip to "CPU bound..." and it was in high 20's

Even checked it via SteamVR mode using fpsVR and the CPU counter looked like a red picket fence, same frametime numbers in the high 20's.

Having only ever seen the "CPU bound" for a split second while DCS was loading a mission etc. Now I don't see it at all, and CPU frame times are back to between 5-7.

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

Perhaps something had gone a bit squiffy with your update, have you since tried the latest OB since?

5 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Perhaps something had gone a bit squiffy with your update, have you since tried the latest OB since?

Yep... even after 3 times running DCS repair/remove extra file found.

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Yep... even after 3 times running DCS repair/remove extra file found.

delete fxo and metashaders ? (desperation) 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg