OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

On 7/23/2022 at 5:15 PM, edmuss said:

Have you fully cleaned and tuned your system? Use thuds guide for reference, your problems likely aren't down to your hardware unless you're doing silly things like running 400% resolution😁

Firstly, identify what's causing the poor performance, then you can look at solutions.

hi 

yes I fully clean system and TRIM drives regularly

latest nvidia drivers too 

On 7/26/2022 at 11:40 PM, nilpointer said:

same driver. I've had this happen in the past, though I've never quite pinpointed the catalyst. Oddly enough I had already done a clean install of the same driver but that had no effect. DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) is a very useful utility for these occasions, however it is a shame such a thing needs to exist.

If using NVidia (not familiar with AMD) be sure to follow up a DDU v18.0.5.2 Uninstall (with internet disabled) with a NVCleanstall 1.13.0 install disabling all the bloatware (GeForce Exp.\Telemetry\etc). Just install the base drivers\PhysX\Audio and go. I've done this and have had 0 issues and great results.. run at 126% with 50+ FPS.

Edited by =LD=Icer

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Assuming you used the global switcher then it's simply a case of switching it back to steamvr. If not then you'll have to remove the necessary additional files and repair DCS.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

43 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Assuming you used the global switcher then it's simply a case of switching it back to steamvr. If not then you'll have to remove the necessary additional files and repair DCS.

So what about the d3d_compiler47 file , will that regenerate when one switches back to Steam? 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

Edmuss you win the Monday Medal of helpfulness, thank you! 🥇

Gotcha Glide ! Thanks

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

52 minutes ago, Burt said:

So what about the d3d_compiler47 file , will that regenerate when one switches back to Steam? 

I think it's no longer part of the DCS install and it uses the system installed version. Even if you repair it I don't think it will return 🙂

35 minutes ago, Digitalvole said:

Edmuss you win the Monday Medal of helpfulness, thank you! 🥇

Everyone should be helpful at least once in their lives😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

I think it's no longer part of the DCS install and it uses the system installed version. Even if you repair it I don't think it will return

Well, my opencomposite install went TU last week, and a repair got me working with SteamVR again.  That file is no longer in the bin folder, so improvements have been made.  SteamVR works great now, BTW, with pixel density 1.0. 

Glide, how about the perf in the Marianna and Channel map? After the switch back. That was the big improvement vrs SVR. Well there is also a few other things that is making me stay on OXR.

Start Date April 2020 

Questions - I have 5800x, 6900 XT and 64 GB Ram. PD 1.0 Reverb G2v2.  I really am struggling to understand the interplay of some of the OXRTK options and their effects.

1. Do i need to lock my fps at 45 if i am using reprojection in OXRTK?  Should i leave Radeon Chill off?  Should the Motion Reprojection be locked?  I am running my G2 at 90Hz and currently have Chill locked at 45 and Motion Reprojection locked at 45... should these values be matching?

2. What is the difference between the OpenXR Tools Custom Render, The OpenXR Toolkit Upscale Size and Open XR Toolkit World Scale?  These 3 all sound synonymous and I am unsure how they interplay to help my experience.

3. As I come up behind other planes in close formation the ~5 nm rear aspect looks like trash... the rear profile of the plane is broken and jagged.  Is this what the OpenXR Toolkit Sharpening would help?  I have MSAA/SSAA off and have 16x anisotropic.  is there anything i can try to get that a bit less distorted/pixely?

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

"This was not in the Manual I did not read", cried the Noob" - BMBM, WWIIOL

7 hours ago, dooom said:

Questions - I have 5800x, 6900 XT and 64 GB Ram. PD 1.0 Reverb G2v2.  I really am struggling to understand the interplay of some of the OXRTK options and their effects.

1. Do i need to lock my fps at 45 if i am using reprojection in OXRTK?  Should i leave Radeon Chill off?  Should the Motion Reprojection be locked?  I am running my G2 at 90Hz and currently have Chill locked at 45 and Motion Reprojection locked at 45... should these values be matching?

2. What is the difference between the OpenXR Tools Custom Render, The OpenXR Toolkit Upscale Size and Open XR Toolkit World Scale?  These 3 all sound synonymous and I am unsure how they interplay to help my experience.

3. As I come up behind other planes in close formation the ~5 nm rear aspect looks like trash... the rear profile of the plane is broken and jagged.  Is this what the OpenXR Toolkit Sharpening would help?  I have MSAA/SSAA off and have 16x anisotropic.  is there anything i can try to get that a bit less distorted/pixely?

I would leave the reprojection unlocked, otherwise what you're doing it from dropping down to the 30Hz bracket if required.

Similarly I would unlock the framerate, if you lock to 45fps then it may never reproject in the 45Hz bracket because of reprojection overheads, if you're going to lock it then I would suggest a mid to high 50s would be better.

Custom render is the same as monitor resolution (except on OXRTK it can be adjusted by the pixel instead of fixed steps), increase the render resolution to improve image quality (to a point) at the cost of performance and vice versa. The G2 has a native 100% render resolution of 3160 pixels wide. Note that custom render can be set via the openxr tools desktop app as a global resolution or in an app by app basis via the OXRTK in-game menu on the system tab - they both do the same thing but the OXRTK option has more granular control.

Upscale resolution is a factor of how much the selected upscaler works. For example set it to 50% and it will render the image at half resolution and then by using magic scale it back up to full resolution. This process is more efficient than rendering the image at full resolution so can save a bunch of performance, however it does introduce a fair amount of shimmer in DCS. Personally I prefer to leave it off and make adjustments elsewhere up make up for the performance.

OXRTK world scale is effectively an IPD adjustment and simulates the changing width of your eyes. The effect of which is that everything looks smaller as you increase it and vice versa. It has no real effect on performance.

With regards to jagged planes, that might be a function of your render resolution. For best clarity run the headset at 100% or above, MSAA will smooth edges out at a massive performance hit but I find makes things a little blurry. Sharpening can be added as part of the upscaler tools but it adds additional shimmer in DCS (as above my preference is not too use it).

Personally I tend to be looking at the ground (A10 & KA50) so I couldn't tell you if I get jagged rear aspect planes, it could simply be the pixels trying to render the thin wings.

Out of interest, have you set a custom render resolution (in the desktop or in-game)? If you haven't then check the second tab of the desktop openxr tools and that will tell you the current resolution. It calculates the default recommended resolution based upon your VRAM capacity, the three back buffers with MSAA x4 applied should be no more than 10% of available VRAM. If you've left it default then it may be running at less than 100% which could cause a more jaggy image.

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, edmuss said:

Out of interest, have you set a custom render resolution (in the desktop or in-game)? If you haven't then check the second tab of the desktop openxr tools and that will tell you the current resolution. It calculates the default recommended resolution based upon your VRAM capacity, the three back buffers with MSAA x4 applied should be no more than 10% of available VRAM. If you've left it default then it may be running at less than 100% which could cause a more jaggy image.

Ok - i'll try the settings..  i had left the custom render in the desktop app (Open XR Tools for Windows) at Default.

I'll give it a go with the OXR Tools for Windows set at 150% and work back from there for the custom resolution.  Should MR be set to anything specific?  I have it at "Disabled" but assume my toolkit settings are over-riding anything set in the desktop app.

I looked in the second tab of OpenXR Tools (Labeled OpenXR Runtime) and see 16384 x 16384 under max swapchain size.  I'm really not sure i am understanding what i am looking at there.

ASUS Tuf Gaming Pro x570 / AMD Ryzen 7 5800X @ 3.8 / XFX Radeon 6900 XT / 64 GB DDR4 3200 

OK - in my effort to understand things, I'd be open to suggestions.

@edmuss - I turned off Radeon Chill, unlocked my MR in OpenXR ToolKit and increased my Custom Render in the OpenXR Tools for windows to 150%.  I also reduced my Upscaling from 150% to 75%.  

Its kind of a jittery mess now.  my in game FPS as per the DCS counter is showing 18-20 fps where it was around 45 before.  I know the easy answer is to just revert the changes but I'd like to understand what kicked me in the pants with the changes?  Which of the variables is my hog do you think?

Man, I'd love to just sit on Discord with someone to get help dialing this in. 😞

Start at 100% resolution, to try to push 150 on a G2 is pretty mental 😁

The upscaling works by the upscale ratio being greater the further away from 100% you get (in both directions). Confusing I know! By switching from 150 to 75 I think you've actually inadvertantly reduced the upscaling ratio.

Have you read through my running guide for open composite?

I'm on Thuds discord and happy to answer in there 🙂

Edited by edmuss

Be careful with MR, AMD drivers do not seem to be well optimized.

Best to start at 100% in OpenXR Tools, then adjust using Toolkit

What release of AMD Driver are you currently running ? 

Please confirm you have switched to using OpenComposite 

AMD 7800X3D, MSI PRO X670-P WIFI (AM5)32GB RGB DDR5 6000MHz Nvidia 4090

HP Reverb G2

HOTAS Virpil CM3 Joystick Throttle & Pedals

Thanks all - I am on 22.5.1 in AMD.

I dropped the Open XR Tools to 125% and the frames apprear to have returned.  I'm still confused on the upscaler though.  How do i know which direction from 100% i should scale?  It works both ways so whats the test path i should follow to optimize?

also - im not sure i understand the difference between default MR and MR "ON" and locked/unlocked in the System tab of toolkit.

I'll check out Edmuss' thread on Toolkit - still also unsure on Edmuss' comment on the VRAM capacity resolution in the tools and how to leverage that information.

Honestly don't punish yourself running >100% resolution on the G2 until you finished running and find you have spare GPU capacity.

The direction you upscale doesn't actually matter (the render resolution that it upscales from is displayed in brackets), I honestly don't know why the upscaler doesn't work like vrperfkit does whereby above 100% it starts supersampling.

MR default use is only to be used with MSFS, it will be disbanded for anything else at the moment.

Don't worry too much about the VRAM capacity and resolution thing, with 16gb you should be running at 100% for the G2 (3160 pixels wide). For reference, my 8gb 3070 gives a recommended resolution of 2480 wide, if I use this in DCS I can actually get very close to 90fps. I think a 10gb 3080 defaults to about 3050 wide. Naturally there is nothing stopping you running higher than the default, personally I chose to run a higher resolution and no MSAA because the MSAA performance in DCS is so poor.

For information in a simple nutshell, as far as I'm aware a VR image is comprised of the left eye frame buffer, right eye frame buffer and back buffer (for depth perception I think). Think of each of them as a different monitor that you have to display a slightly different image on, the three are then stitched together to give the stereoscopic image we see in the headset. Each image takes a certain amount of VRAM, the higher the resolution the more it takes, adding MSAA on increases the memory usage.

Openxr tools calculates that the three back buffers with MSAA x4 applied should be no more than 10% of VRAM, if you have 8gb (8192mb) then openxr will recommend to not use more than 819mb for the frame buffers, the rest of the VRAM can then be used for textures etc.

2 hours ago, dooom said:

Thanks all - I am on 22.5.1 in AMD.

I dropped the Open XR Tools to 125% and the frames apprear to have returned.  I'm still confused on the upscaler though.  How do i know which direction from 100% i should scale?  It works both ways so whats the test path i should follow to optimize?

also - im not sure i understand the difference between default MR and MR "ON" and locked/unlocked in the System tab of toolkit.

I'll check out Edmuss' thread on Toolkit - still also unsure on Edmuss' comment on the VRAM capacity resolution in the tools and how to leverage that information.

Honestly, I would consider rolling back off of 22.5.x which worsened with 22.7

I had a myriad of issues crop up after "upgrading". I am running 21.6.1 and plan to stay there until there is definitive proof AMD has gotten their driver **** together.

Virtual Reality headsets may flicker with some AMD Graphics Products such as the Radeon™ RX 6800 XT Graphics

Our systems specs are similar enough that you should be able to run the OXR stuff pretty much bone stock, and FSR enabled. I would start by setting the tool kit back to defaults, enable FSR then tweak contrast, colors etc to your liking. And give 60Hz a try if you haven't already.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

5 hours ago, nikoel said:

Two More Replies!

One more reply?

• Like 1