OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

4 minutes ago, killerquagmire said:

Trying to get this going. I'm stuck at delete D3DCompiler_47.dll because the file is nowhere to be found. I searched the entire DCS install folder including the Bin and the file does not exist. So what now??

It has been removed by ED in the latest updates, just to help people using OpenXR

• Like 1

🖥️ R7-5800X3D 64GB RTX-4090 LG-38GN950  🥽  Valve Index 🕹️ VPForce Rhino FFB, Virpil F-14 (VFX) Grip, Virpil Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle + Control Panel 2, Winwing Orion (Skywalker) Pedals, Razer Tartarus V2 💺SpeedMaster Flight Seat, JetSeat

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VF-103.png

Running openxr runtimes won't fix your problems, get it running smoothly with steamvr first and then make the jump over 🙂

From your other threads it sounds as though you're trying to force the reverb to run with oculus, I'd uninstall everything oculus related entirely and get WMR and steamvr running first.

• Like 2

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

23 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Running openxr runtimes won't fix your problems, get it running smoothly with steamvr first and then make the jump over 🙂

From your other threads it sounds as though you're trying to force the reverb to run with oculus, I'd uninstall everything oculus related entirely and get WMR and steamvr running first.

Thanks for the reply. I'm also running this on Windows 11 and apparently that's a problem in itself. Are you running an HP Reverb by chance? If so on which OS?

27 минут назад, killerquagmire сказал:

Thanks for the reply. I'm also running this on Windows 11 and apparently that's a problem in itself. Are you running an HP Reverb by chance? If so on which OS?

Check that the HAGS is off in Windows settings and that you don't have anything tweaked in NVIDIA Control Panel from your Oculus time before.

From what I've read the reverb has no issues with windows11 generally, personally I'm using a reverb G2 on windows10.

I suspect it will be linked to the oculus software not playing nicely and trying to force the wrong software configuration somehow.

edit: I've found that whilst having HAGS enabled doesn't run as fast as disabled (ignoring that it used to cause instability in steamvr) it isn't a significant loss, certainly another thing to check though.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

38 minutes ago, killerquagmire said:

No issues with Win11 Pro and G2v2 here...

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

17 hours ago, killerquagmire said:

Were you able to pretty much plug n play or did you have to change a bunch of settings to get it operating smoothly? I'm considering just doing a complete wipe and reinstalling Windows 11.

I closely followed the setup instructions for OpenXR\OpenComposite after removing my video drivers and reinstalling (using NVCleanstall) just GPU\PhysX\Audio drivers from Nvidia (cutting out all their bloatware and telemetry). Used Skatezilla's DCS Updater tool to Update\Repair\Clean my DCS install, modified settings using OpenXRToolkit, worked great.

Edited by =LD=Icer

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 552.12 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3447 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Good on Win11 here too.  Get rid of all oculus stuff.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Hi all,

Using openxr for month now , I have some issues specialy in some situations.

For example, on marianas maps, it's smooth. And at a time, big framedrops happens (10fps) with no reason and stay like this for minutes. Then come back very smooth for a few time.

I checked performance tab CPU at 30%, GPU at 70%, SSD 0%, ram 24/32go when it becomes lagguy.

What si the graphic processor memory? Here  11,8/28go?

=> Is my issue  a known issue?

Also, something weird for me : if I don't run reprojection, I have arround 70/75 fps but with a stutering absolutly horrible. I wonder how you can play without reprojection. Is it because of my eyes?

My rig : HP G2, 3080TI, I7 8700K, 32GO, SSD.

On 7/23/2022 at 4:02 PM, Mart57 said:

I have used openxr for some time and was initially pleased but now im struggling to get a smooth VR performance on my reverb G2

Have updated all drivers , open xr and composite

Pc: 11700k overclocked to 5.1g

64gb ddr4 running at 3600mhz

3x 1tb NVME drives(DCS open beta on its own 1gb WD Black NVME)

RTX3080ti founders edition

Power 1000w corsair

I am running DCS at medium to low settings and still getting double image  and stutter when looking out side windows. I have followed guides for Nvidia and experimented with different settings as well .

Just cannot get this right and would really appreciate some help if anyone has any ideas. Tempted to try steamVR again

Thanks in advance

If you are like me : try to activate reprojection in openxr options. And see if it s better.

gpu.png

Edited by redloved

For me running MR is the only way I can get a smooth experience and with great clarity. I have tried without and I just can’t get rid of the jitters no matter what and how far I slide things around. I pretty much have the same settings config in OXR as I had in SVR and OXR is way better especially going from 45-30fps at times. But Mostly it’s a smooth 45fps. Also when I do have the fps counter displayed I rarely see it drop to 10fps. I’m done tweaking as I’m running as good as it’s gonna get , I believe.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

16 hours ago, redloved said:

For example, on marianas maps, it's smooth. And at a time, big framedrops happens (10fps) with no reason and stay like this for minutes. Then come back very smooth for a few time.

I checked performance tab CPU at 30%, GPU at 70%, SSD 0%, ram 24/32go when it becomes lagguy.

What si the graphic processor memory? Here  11,8/28go?

=> Is my issue  a known issue?

Yes, it's linked to how openxr is handling the reprojection, I believe it's supposed to be fixed sometime this month when the next runtime is released. Pause, alt tab out till the postGPU frametime on the wmr performance overlay settles to normal (3-5ms ish) and then it should be good. Menus and the F10 map trigger it quite reliably.

edit:

Regarding running without reprojection, if you don't hit refresh rate then you're relying on the openxr vsync to line up the frame with the headset position, it only does this for rotations so translations appear as a double image which is the stuttering you're describing. Some people are more susceptible to it than others.

The only way to be perfectly smooth without reprojection is to be above refresh rate (generally 90fps) which in DCS is currently incredibly difficult to do all the time because the CPU will inevitably drag it down.

You can try 60Hz refresh rate which brings the smooth image threshold back into the realms of possibility in DCS but that all depends on if you're susceptible to the refresh rate flicker.

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Burt said:

For me running MR is the only way I can get a smooth experience and with great clarity. I have tried without and I just can’t get rid of the jitters no matter what and how far I slide things around. I pretty much have the same settings config in OXR as I had in SVR and OXR is way better especially going from 45-30fps at times. But Mostly it’s a smooth 45fps. Also when I do have the fps counter displayed I rarely see it drop to 10fps. I’m done tweaking as I’m running as good as it’s gonna get , I believe.

I'm testing out running reprojection again, doing so enables me to run MSAA x2 +MFAA with 2800 resolution which gives a really good image. Sits at 45 on Caucasus and 30 on Syria, apart from the annoying performance tank described above it's pretty good; the artifacting is something I'm working on ignoring 😁

• Thanks 2

16 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I'm testing out running reprojection again, doing so enables me to run MSAA x2 +MFAA with 2800 resolution which gives a really good image. Sits at 45 on Caucasus and 30 on Syria, apart from the annoying performance tank described above it's pretty good; the artifacting is something I'm working on ignoring 😁

bizarre i'm going the other way at 60hz... with no MR and about the same resolution and MSAAx2 MFAA (using the built in sunglasses on "light" seems to let me ignore the flicker that previously drove me to the barf bag) ... but i sometime get  that little shimmy when i turn my head sideways i am also trying to ignore

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Yup I have MSAA x2 +MFAA enabled. the only jelly affect I have is at low ground in F2 but when I move the scene alittle to the center it goes away. I'll try 2800 res. 

Thanks as always !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

26 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

bizarre i'm going the other way at 60hz... with no MR and about the same resolution and MSAAx2 MFAA (using the built in sunglasses on "light" seems to let me ignore the flicker that previously drove me to the barf bag) ... but i sometime get  that little shimmy when i turn my head sideways i am also trying to ignore

SoH in 60Hz shocker!

I can see the headlines now 😁

Good catch on the sunglasses filter, it might be worth other people trying that out as well!

I've found that I don't quite have enough oomph with the 3070 to keep above the 60hz at ALL times with missions like foothold without dropping the settings down. As sweet as it is to be above refresh at 60fps, if it drops below then it's down to 30Hz vsync which gets rather frustrating when you're pulling 56fps!

Anyone want to give me a faster GPU? 😁

32 minutes ago, Burt said:

I'll try 2800 res. 

Thanks as always !

Note that I'm only running lower resolution to try to claw back some performance, with your 3090 you should be just fine at 3160 wide (100%).

• Like 2

How fantastic that I accidentally stumbled onto this thread (via the YT vid you referenced with the 🤮 emoji!) , as I'd never heard of this OpenXR before. Followed the instructions to the letter.. well, I haven't got around to downloading the toolkit yet in the final stage as I did what I was told and checked everything worked. Instructions were perfect except couldn't find the Direct3D dll file thing anywhere which soaked up a fair bit of time before I realised it didn't matter, but once I ran it up WOW loading time much faster, way less juttering, butter smooth in game etc. 2080ti Ryzen 7 3800 64gb Reverb G1. Thanks for putting this together!

• Like 1

Oculus Rift S, RTX2060 Ryzen 5 2600 16GB, SSD

Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS

Voiceattack Plugin

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

I run about the same only with WMR at 60Hz, and it glorious. But I think I maybe won the silicon lottery equivalent of flicker free 60Hz.  I have only experienced that after AMD launched driver version 22.7.2 (I think). It was horrible and had to roll back to 21.5ish

Yesterday they released 22.8.1 and fixed the flicker problem.

35 minutes ago, FreightDog said:

How fantastic that I accidentally stumbled onto this thread (via the YT vid you referenced with the 🤮 emoji!) , as I'd never heard of this OpenXR before. Followed the instructions to the letter.. well, I haven't got around to downloading the toolkit yet in the final stage as I did what I was told and checked everything worked. Instructions were perfect except couldn't find the Direct3D dll file thing anywhere which soaked up a fair bit of time before I realised it didn't matter, but once I ran it up WOW loading time much faster, way less juttering, butter smooth in game etc. 2080ti Ryzen 7 3800 64gb Reverb G1. Thanks for putting this together!

Welcome aboard. You left out one of my favorite "improvements", eliminating the epilepsy inducing flashing during the loading screens. 

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

58 minutes ago, Sr. said:

I run about the same only with WMR at 60Hz, and it glorious. But I think I maybe won the silicon lottery equivalent of flicker free 60Hz. 

pretty sure thats biology not silicon 🙂 .. but the sunglass thing really seems to make a difference to me 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

Yeah, us biologically superior beings can use a reverb G2 without needing fake sunglasses 😁

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

I run about the same only with WMR at 60Hz

Are you using reprojection at all? I guess with your 6900xt you probably don't dip below 60 often?

no, i do drop down every now and again , and almost all the time if i am ion the deck in syria... but... im just trying to work out which artefacting is more annoying  🙂

i do seem to find that the Reprojection is more aggressive in OXR than SVR, i mean SVR would force me at 46 fps and OXR seems to have a higher threshold about 50 or so 

part of me would like that to be user tuneable...  

though i dont know how practical that is 

Steamvr would always drop reprojection at 50hz for me, it's not a case of aggressiveness of the reprojection, simply a case of the overheads needed. Steamvr may be more efficient but I have no data to quantify. Reprojection costs me about 3.5ms, I have no idea if this is reduced with a faster CPU or GPU?

I think that with the current CPU usage in DCS is nigh on impossible to guarantee keeping >60fps because the CPU only needs to spike and it's dragged the GPU down and the reprojection has dropped out.