OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

Ack on the data, I don't seem to get the cpu spiking issue per say... I wonder if that is a Ryzen thing or if it's something else. I mean occasionaly I will get a cpu bound issue, but, in most scenarios it is down to some very specific instances.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I think perhaps spike is the wrong word, a better phrase would just natural CPU frametime increases due to mission etc.

Currently the only time I see CPU bound is when I've accelerated time 5-6 times. In normal flight it never comes up; this may just be a factor of my GPU running slower than yours though, it gives the CPU more breathing space.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

pretty sure thats biology not silicon 🙂 .. but the sunglass thing really seems to make a difference to me 

Maybe my eyes got old enough to not notice 🤣

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

18 hours ago, edmuss said:

Yes, it's linked to how openxr is handling the reprojection, I believe it's supposed to be fixed sometime this month when the next runtime is released. Pause, alt tab out till the postGPU frametime on the wmr performance overlay settles to normal (3-5ms ish) and then it should be good. Menus and the F10 map trigger it quite reliably.

edit:

Regarding running without reprojection, if you don't hit refresh rate then you're relying on the openxr vsync to line up the frame with the headset position, it only does this for rotations so translations appear as a double image which is the stuttering you're describing. Some people are more susceptible to it than others.

The only way to be perfectly smooth without reprojection is to be above refresh rate (generally 90fps) which in DCS is currently incredibly difficult to do all the time because the CPU will inevitably drag it down.

You can try 60Hz refresh rate which brings the smooth image threshold back into the realms of possibility in DCS but that all depends on if you're susceptible to the refresh rate flicker.

Yes, you are right, I am used to this pb, but on marianas, alt+tab does not solve the pb. Waiting for minutes!

Also, it is difficult to guess if pbs are DCS or OXR related. Yesterday, I made this test : Dubai by night with apache. I put 20 AK infantry somwhere.

openxr 100%, DCS PD 1.0, MSAA x4.

I fly a solid 30  FPS, smooth feeling. But when infantry began to shoot me, fps droped to arround 10. And what is weird is that the game stayed a 10 after living to main menu... Have to wait (maybe) or restart the game. I have to say that I never changed the view during the test.

In my team

- 50% who doesn't have a VR helmet wish to buy one but they hear the pb we have with big rigs, so they don't

- 50% who have VR helmet don't use it in the game or only sometimes because of the pbs

- arround 25% of the team fly with VR helmets only but sometimes, we ragequit, have headaches, are seasicks 😛

DCS in VR is sweet and bitter. 

Edited by redloved

18 minutes ago, redloved said:

Yes, you are right, I am used to this pb, but on marianas, alt+tab does not solve the pb. Waiting for minutes!

I've not tested on Marianas yet, will do so and see if I can get it to stabilise again.

All being well the tanking performance bug should be sorted soon then only 15% will rage quit and another 25% will investigate in VR 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Marianas is perhaps the most demanding map for VR today...  i rarely get over 40 FPS over the ground, i'm not sure if its the building or the trees or both that need optimising or if it is a function of the ground textures... 

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

8 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Marianas is perhaps the most demanding map for VR today...  i rarely get over 40 FPS over the ground, i'm not sure if its the building or the trees or both that need optimising or if it is a function of the ground textures... 

I've always thought it was the sheer number of cars... I can be flying along ok until I look 6 or 9 and see several parking lots full.  🙂

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

I have a Reverb G2, as well as probably the majority of people coming to this page. AFAIK, all we need to do is install the OpenXR toolkit app on the Windows store, click the rightmost tab and it should make some change so it works. After that, we just need to restart the computer and then DCS works fine, else DCS will not recognize the headset properly and it'll launch DCS only on the desktop, not the headset.

6 minutes ago, thatdanield said:

I have a Reverb G2, as well as probably the majority of people coming to this page. AFAIK, all we need to do is install the OpenXR toolkit app on the Windows store, click the rightmost tab and it should make some change so it works. After that, we just need to restart the computer and then DCS works fine, else DCS will not recognize the headset properly and it'll launch DCS only on the desktop, not the headset.

What "rightmost tab", There are no tabs in the XRToolkit I have, just checkboxes and key assignments for navigation in the app...

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Totally agree with the Marianna map but I tell ya OXR runs it a hellavah lot better then SVR. It could very well be the coconuts too. 

• Like 1

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

11 minutes ago, thatdanield said:

where it says "Mixed Reality" here

image.png

That is not OpenXR Toolkit, that is OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality.. This is OpenXR Toolkit 

image.png

Edited by =LD=Icer

Asus Z790-PLUS D4, Corsair 1000X PS / Intel i9-13900KF @5.8Gz - Corsair H150i Liquid CPU cooler, 64GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 @3192mhz / 2TB M.2 NvMe Boot Drive (DCS World Beta installed here), 1TB M.2 Data drive, 1TB WD SATA drive, Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 4090 Trinity 24GB - Nvidia 551.76 driver / 3 Samsung LC32G53TQWUXEN 32" 7680x1440 at 144Hz  / Win11 Pro Ver.  23H2 - Build 22631.3374 TIR 5, TM Warthog HOTAS\VirPil stick base, MFG V3 Crosswind Pedals, TM MFDs  on 2 8" Lilliputs/ Simgears ICP / Varjo Aero VR

Can somebody tell what OpenXr  toolkit is for in that recipe ? ... is it required ? what is it for ?  Right now all I can see/do with it is removing my headset so I can see my keyboard and then press ctrl-f2 ... and then put the headset back on and there is a menu with which I can really interact because it's all keyboard ... can't use the mouse... can't use the controllers... kind of awkward ... not sure what it's for .. I'm not a fan of keyboard use when in VR so if I can do without I will. 

Other than that I had tracking problems with my G2 in DCS with SteamVR and these are all gone now with OpenXR ... tracking is super stable and image fps is better. 

Nice job. 

Edited by bigtruck

4 hours ago, Antix70 said:

Any idea how to get rid of the Eye Debug tool from starting every time I start the game?

Look in your Saved games folder, DCS/Config for autoexec.bat (if not there create the file), edit and add the following force_cross_eye_recovery_tool = false

Or the next time you see the tool, click save. This will write a file in the Saved Games/Dcs(root dir) name HP Reverb Virtual Reality Headset G20.lua, at that point the tool will not reappear unless that file gets deleted. 

• Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

This may have been covered before so apologies if I have missed it.

I am using the Microsoft OpenXR runtime as per this thread (using OpenXR Tools for Windows Mixed Reality)

When I use SteamVR for other apps I keep seeing OpenXR updates listed when SteamVR starts and wondered whether there has been a recent comparison of running DCS using Microsoft OpenXR (G1 headset here) vs SteamVR and its own OpenXR runtime. I can try it but don't want to risk messing up what is working if there is no point.

21 hours ago, chips said:

Hi,

The link to get Open XR Tool on the first post seems to be dead, I get a blank Microsoft page. It may come from MS though. Do you know please where I could get the  link?

Thanks

I just tried the link and it worked for me. You could try from this page but I am pretty sure it is the same link:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/mixed-reality/develop/native/openxr-getting-started

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

22 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

running DCS using Microsoft OpenXR (G1 headset here) vs SteamVR and its own OpenXR runtime

I don't think that will work currently as DCS doesn't natively support openxr, we have to use open composite to hijack the openvr and translate to openxr.

25 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I don't think that will work currently as DCS doesn't natively support openxr, we have to use open composite to hijack the openvr and translate to openxr.

That makes sense, thanks for the prompt answer, I was forgetting the role of open composite to make it work.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

20 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

That makes sense, thanks for the prompt answer, I was forgetting the role of open composite to make it work.

Open XR is a great hardware agnostic runtime for VR, all we can do is petition for game devs to add support natively for the Open XR runtime. AFAIK MSFS 2020 is only flight sim to do this, and I believe iRacing recently added it as well. 

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Open XR is a great hardware agnostic runtime for VR, all we can do is petition for game devs to add support natively for the Open XR runtime. AFAIK MSFS 2020 is only flight sim to do this, and I believe iRacing recently added it as well. 

I honestly can't understand the hesitance to do so. I've read multiple devs state it took a couple hours. Tops.

--Arthur C Clark

7 hours ago, Sr. said:

I honestly can't understand the hesitance to do so. I've read multiple devs state it took a couple hours. Tops.

A couple of hours is ridiculous. Are you sure they weren't developers using Unity or Unreal Engine? In which case it's a fairly simple migration clicking a couple of buttons.

For a custom engine, it's work quantified in weeks at least, and will highly depend on how experienced the developers are.

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

1 hour ago, mbucchia said:

A couple of hours is ridiculous. Are you sure they weren't developers using Unity or Unreal Engine? In which case it's a fairly simple migration clicking a couple of buttons.

For a custom engine, it's work quantified in weeks at least, and will highly depend on how experienced the developers are.

Definitely Unity and UE... maybe Vulkan (speaking of Vulkan...)

I just remember reading through the article wishing ED would do it if it was that "simple."

I may have it confused with FSR/FSR2 though. 

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

Hi, Ive been reading these forums for about a month now trying to figure out how to get my G2 (with updated cable for AMD) to work good enough for me. My issue is I have good FPS 80-90 but frametimes are horrible, goes from 10-35. I cant even get the frametimes to not go over 20 when i play on total potato quality (render scale to 20%).

Ive followed the install guide, I can choose between OpenXR and SVR. Ive done multiple fresh install. I heard Winwing products can cause frametime to go mad, and Ive followed the guides there to remove their export (no effect). 

I have open composite, xrtools and toolkit. Tried all possible combinations, but the most stable I get is when I go into steam VR. It tanks my FPS and I can play at 50% but only with MS on or else the frametimes are above 20 and picture is stuttering like mad. Thats all I can do. OpenXR gives me more FPS, but frametimes are so bad. Tried FIS, NIS, everything. Been going at it for about a month and Im so close to selling the G2. 

Any tips, as the feeling in VR dosnt want me to go back to 2D

I run: 5800x - 6900XT - 32gb 3200mhz cl14 - 1TB gen3 m.2