OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

Hi all,

been away from DCS for a while. Mostly been flying in MSFS2020. But since I recently got myself a new joystick, I'd thought I try it out in DCS VR too. And that was not a pleasant experience. Not sure what had changed since last time, but I got microstutters no matter what. Motion reprojection didn't seem to work. Did some optimizations, turned off HAGS and ... tried different things. Nothing really helped. Yes, cleaned up and repaired the install...

So, then I found this thread--- and followed the instructions exactly like the described in the first post. And it works! No more steamVR. And Motion Reprojection works perferctly too (as perferct as it can, sometimes there a few artifacts, but not much). It is way more fluid than it ever has been! 

So now, I have opencomposite installed, and I use Open XR Developer tools and Open XR toolkit companion app, and adjust them like I am used to in MSFS2020.

So thanks to the thread starter for the tutorial, and to whoever made the OpenComposite solution. 

Edited by Peedee
  • Like 5

PC: I9 13900K, Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC, 32 GB RAM@6000Mhz.

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas. Virpil Base for Joystick. Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudderpedals. Realsimulator FSSB-RL MKII ULTRA base + Realsimulator F16SGRH V2 grip

VR: Pimax Crystal, 8KX, HP Reverb G2, Pico 4, Quest 2. Buttkicker Gamer Pro. Next Level Motion Platform V3.

On 9/12/2022 at 8:35 PM, czarinabox said:

DCS does not show up at all. I'm using a Reverb G2.

Edit: I did try running OpenComposite not as admin with no result.

Exaclty the same for me...
I noticed also that after installation of opencomposite it didn't copy the dll or the .ini file in hte bin folder.

Does anyone know why OpenXR tools for WMR most of the time launches looking like this for me:

Usually I launch WMR, launch DCS and DCS never loads, just hangs. Then I open that tool and it looks like this. ALl I ever could do was reboot which usually fixes it until the next time and I got sick of this today and tried uninstalling and it still behaves like this and its not useable without huge delays an dfaffing around on my PC, which defeats what was good about the solution.
What should I do?
nullimage.png

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

Try just starting DCS everything else should activate automatically. When I power up my G2 and wmr opens I shut it down then Just start DCS . If that doesn’t work the something else is wrong.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

3 hours ago, Burt said:

Try just starting DCS everything else should activate automatically. When I power up my G2 and wmr opens I shut it down then Just start DCS . If that doesn’t work the something else is wrong.

no, something else is wrong. It doesn't work automatically most times, i have to restart my PC.

7 hours ago, Pikey said:

Does anyone know why OpenXR tools for WMR most of the time launches looking like this for me:

Usually I launch WMR, launch DCS and DCS never loads, just hangs. Then I open that tool and it looks like this. ALl I ever could do was reboot which usually fixes it until the next time and I got sick of this today and tried uninstalling and it still behaves like this and its not useable without huge delays an dfaffing around on my PC, which defeats what was good about the solution.
What should I do?
nullimage.png

Have you checked for spare registry keys?

It doesn't manifest exactly the same for me and also doesn't stop openxr working at all. However generally if I use openkneeboard it can throw up error warnings on the second tab.

Have a look here.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

13 hours ago, edmuss said:

Have you checked for spare registry keys?

It doesn't manifest exactly the same for me and also doesn't stop openxr working at all. However generally if I use openkneeboard it can throw up error warnings on the second tab.

Have a look here.

Thanks, had a look and there's one entry and the file exists and paths seem correct. But wondering if Data value should be 1 and not 0 for this DWORD?
null

image.png

A Noob question, I have Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR (cause before this guide I need it and SteamVR to run DCS). If I unistall it it will replace it with the stock WMR so I will have the same version that I see in the guide or not?
Or (even more noob) are they ininfluent and so the same for the purpose of Openxr?
I'm asking because I still can't see the DCS app in the opencomposite but DCS start without SteamVR and in game I can open the openxr toolkit panel and change the various options, letting me understand that is it working...
Thx.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Is there a working version of openxr where you can enable the mirror mode? I have an old version with it which had problems regarding picture in picture that is solved by the latest version. However the latest doesn't support a mirror anymore. It was really easy to get good quality video with the mirror mode and OBS plugin.

4 minutes ago, RED said:

Is there a working version of openxr where you can enable the mirror mode? I have an old version with it which had problems regarding picture in picture that is solved by the latest version. However the latest doesn't support a mirror anymore. It was really easy to get good quality video with the mirror mode and OBS plugin.

I never saw a mirror that could be made from this that wasn't part of DCS, there's no options I see in openXR tools, how did you do it?

2 hours ago, Pikey said:

I never saw a mirror that could be made from this that wasn't part of DCS, there's no options I see in openXR tools, how did you do it?

You can create a opencomposite.ini file to set options. One of the options was the mirror mode.

;Mirror mode outputs a shared texture for use by OBS plugin
mirrorMode=enabled

;Performance stats enables writing of performance stats
; If enabled press F11 to start stats capture to file
; File is currently output to \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Assetto Corsa Competizione\AC2\Binaries\Win64\teststats.csv
performanceStats=disabled

;Hidden area mesh fix for G2, may work on other headsets
enableHiddenMeshFix=enabled

;Use OpenXR layers to handle GUI overlays and HUDs, if set to false will render internally directly onto swap chain before submitting
enableLayers=true

Always gave some good footage:

I think right now I would have to change dektop res every time to 4k or so to grab the DCS mirror and record without a plugin.

Edited by RED

@RED do you know if there is a full list of the argumements one can use here in the ini file ?  I can't find mirrorEnabled here README.md · openxr · Campbell Suter (ZNix) / OpenComposite · GitLab

I assume it goes in the bin folder?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, RED said:

You can create a opencomposite.ini file to set options. One of the options was the mirror mode.

;Mirror mode outputs a shared texture for use by OBS plugin
mirrorMode=enabled

;Performance stats enables writing of performance stats
; If enabled press F11 to start stats capture to file
; File is currently output to \Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Assetto Corsa Competizione\AC2\Binaries\Win64\teststats.csv
performanceStats=disabled

;Hidden area mesh fix for G2, may work on other headsets
enableHiddenMeshFix=enabled

;Use OpenXR layers to handle GUI overlays and HUDs, if set to false will render internally directly onto swap chain before submitting
enableLayers=true

Always gave some good footage:

I think right now I would have to change dektop res every time to 4k or so to grab the DCS mirror and record without a plugin.

Damn, I need this in my life!

9 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

@RED do you know if there is a full list of the argumements one can use here in the ini file ?  I can't find mirrorEnabled here README.md · openxr · Campbell Suter (ZNix) / OpenComposite · GitLab

I assume it goes in the bin folder?

Yeah, it is not in there anymore because it doesnt exist anymore. And yep bin or next to the app if you have it. I basically have an old 2021 version that still has the mirror but also is bugged. So I am looking for the latest version with the mirror where the bug might have been solved.

I have a high end AMD system and G2. I mostly fly low level ground attack ie Viggen.

Like most I have spent a LOT of time messing with shaders/mods/settings trying to get DCS to run smooth and look good. In the end I just ran at 45 locked so all maps would run OK.

My expectations of improvement were low for what this might do for me.

I set aside a full day to set it up, expecting the usual drama with this sort of thing.

I cleaned DCS, but kept saved games to compare with the DCS settings I had already settled on.

Well bugger me. I had it up and running in 45 minutes.

And the difference..OMG what an improvement. Clarity of visuals is hugely improved, and the the ground slides by so smoooothly in Caucasus. The step change is up there with a GPU upgrade. Very very happy.

What am I gonna do with the rest of my day? Oh I know....just play DCS... 🙂

• Like 4

2 hours ago, nzteddy said:

Is anyone having issues with the menus and mission editor juddering? Flying is fine.

It's a known issue. It's worse when stabilisation is set to anything other than 0.

5 hours ago, nzteddy said:

Is anyone having issues with the menus and mission editor juddering? Flying is fine.

I've not seen it myself, I do have image stabilisation set to zero though.  The only issue I was aware of with the image stabilisation is it causing the waterboarding effect when reprojection is enabled.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

did the latest opencomposite update improve behaviour at 22fps or is it the W11 update or some combination ?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

"At 22fps" I assume you mean motion reprojection.

Neither OpenComposite nor the WMR Portal affect that, the motion reprojection is built into the OpenXR runtime, and the latest 112 updates did bring some improvements. That's assuming that you have OpenXR Tools for WMR and you selected Enable latest Preview.

• Like 1

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

Just a kudos and thank you...

I hadn't played DCS in a while...  a few driver updates, windows updates including 22H2, A few DCS updates that I never ran...

I fired it up last night and it ran SteamVR.  I think I had turned off OXR through OC for some reason a while back.  I thought "screw it...  I'm just gunna play it's all good..." and fired up the SA5 mission on Syria for the Apache.  Killed it a few times...  Guns and AGM's...  was fun.  I then jumped into the Low Level Hell mission for the Mustang on the Channel...  Super fun.  Killed a few 190's.

When I got done and it was close to time for me to hit the sack I decide to take a look at getting OXR working so I can play today after work...  I updated all the pieces, ran OC and set it to SVR, then back to OXR, then checked the advanced settings...  All apps were still set to use SVR...  So I changed them...  no biggie...

Then I fired up DCS again...

Yeah...  Kudos and Thank you. 

I immediately noticed the better clarity on the Mig-29 in the hangar and jumped into the Low Level Hell mission and the smoothness was WAY better.  That mission runs kinda slow at my option settings (I've got shadows and stuff enabled) but with OXR it runs great anyway...

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)