OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

Correct overall it is a small perf hit with situational corrections for QOL

And also correct on the rotor artefacts 

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

A note of thanks to the various posters within this thread.  Just got OpenXR up and running with DCS, including the XRnecksafer, with my Rift S.  Ace stuff.

Now fully prepped for the arrival of the Neo Pico 4.

• Like 1

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

9 hours ago, Ready said:

Last time I checked I was getting quite an FPS-hit with 3dMigoto, so stopped using it because my FPS tended to drop below 20 on our groups busy NTTR map. The CBU-issue is still not fixed? What is the Apache rotor removal? Is that giving an FPS advantage?

Similar for me the fps drop is more compared to what you get. I also played with OXRT values and  colors look descent.

I can't get DCS to start with OpenXR. It just keeps booting into SteamVR, despite being set to OpenComposite in the app. Anyone else has that problem? I'm on Steam version.

I've been playing a SteamVR game lately, but yesterday it booted into OpenComposite after resetting the default setting. 

Edited by Dragon1-1

Try going into the advanced options in Open Composite switcher and manually set all to OXR.  If they already are then set to SVR and then back to OXR.  May or may not work but has for me in the past :).

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

nullHi Guys

I have got an error message  in OpenComposite  when I was trying to launch DCS in VR after trying reshade 5.4 in DCS . Now the Reshade has been deleted but the error message persists and DCS is "freeze"

the error message is :

Hit stubbed file at C:\projects\openovr\OpenOVR\Reimpl|BaseOverlay.crp:781 func CreateDashboardOverlay

Anyone knows what the message means?  anyway to fix the problem?

thanks in advance .

Otherwise I have to do an image recovery.

BTW ,Is  Reshade compatible to OpenComposite currently ?

2 minutes ago, dock999 said:

BTW ,Is  Reshade compatible to OpenComposite currently ?

no... 

you know like it says in the OP

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

This has been a complete game changer for me. A few niggles to start with but a fresh install cured those problems.

The difference has been jaw dropping. I have a win 10 machine with an i7-10700k processor running at 3.8Ghz, 32GB of Ram and an RTX3080 graphics card. Reverb G2.

The Marianas was a no go for me as the frame rate dropped too much, other areas were ok, but Syria was also challenging and that was running at 0.7 render scale with MR on and moderate settings in the graphics.

Now I'm getting between 30 and 45 FPS with most settings on high and 100% render in OXRTK with NIS upscaling and MR running by default. Which. if I understand all this wizardry correctly, is an in-headset equivalent of 60-90 in the headset...

Unbelievable difference.

Kudos to all involved.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulXKRS
typo
  • Like 1

@dock999 - same here ! That was one of the big differences to me verses SVR. The Motion Repo is so stable now after the last OXRDT update to 12. It’s sooo damn smooth now.  Marianna is no issues now.

Edited by Burt

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

After dropping the downloaded openvr_api.dll into the DCS/bin folder I started DCS...my Reverb G2 VR experience worked perfectly without needing Steam VR.  I am very thankful to Nikoel.

Now what I don't understand is...the intro original post OpenXR Guide for WMR Headsets By nikoel, March 17, page 1, gives a lot of instruction about how to properly do this procedure by first cleaning DCS, deleting Saved Games folder, setting pixel density first, etc. etc.

I did none of that, as mentioned all I did was to replace 1 file "openvr_api.dll " and start DCS and my G2 ran perfectly.  So, am I missing something by not having heeded the warnings and by not having read the following 113 pages of this thread?

Thank you.

Edited by fitness88

It's far more stable and less liable to upset these days, but back when this thread was created it was easy to make it fall over with a simple thing being out of place.

You've been lucky in that it worked first time, however if it hadn't and then you go and ask the devs why it's not working they then stop developing and troubleshoot it for you. Imagine that 10,000 times over (this is used for MSFS, DCS, AC, AMS2, DR2 and a whole bunch of other sims) and you can see what's going to happen. The cleaning and resetting of DCS was to give a known stable foundation on which to run open composite 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I was referring to the openxr toolkit specifically for that bit. MSFS supports openxr natively so there's no need for the open composite layer but the same still stands.

You can use open composite to allow other headsets to use openxr in non-openxr native apps.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

11 hours ago, fitness88 said:

After dropping the downloaded openvr_api.dll into the DCS/bin folder I started DCS...my Reverb G2 VR experience worked perfectly without needing Steam VR.  I am very thankful to Nikoel.

Now what I don't understand is...the intro original post OpenXR Guide for WMR Headsets By nikoel, March 17, page 1, gives a lot of instruction about how to properly do this procedure by first cleaning DCS, deleting Saved Games folder, setting pixel density first, etc. etc.

I did none of that, as mentioned all I did was to replace 1 file "openvr_api.dll " and start DCS and my G2 ran perfectly.  So, am I missing something by not having heeded the warnings and by not having read the following 113 pages of this thread?

Thank you.

@edmuss has it 100% right - All the names you see - post after post on here (you know who you are); are helping the developing process by offloading the OpenXR/OpenComposite devs and letting them concentrate on what is important

One thing I want to add is that I have updated the guide last Friday and removed a redundant step and made it a little faster to read and follow. I understand you used the 'alternative' method which doesn't auto-update. I also hope you have used the .dll from the official build and not Jabbah's that still up. Those damn Youtube videos are refusing to die even with my disclaimer at the top of the page

Either way, I'm glad it worked for you - but I still hope that anyone who tries OpenXR with DCS will go through 6 simple steps that I have outlined. They are still current and updated. Most will complete this in 15-60min

Edited by nikoel

8 hours ago, edmuss said:

Thanks!

I was referring to the openxr toolkit specifically for that bit. MSFS supports openxr natively so there's no need for the open composite layer but the same still stands.

You can use open composite to allow other headsets to use openxr in non-openxr native apps.

8 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Thanks nikoel for your efforts!

edmuss has it 100% right - All the names you see - post after post on here (you know who you are); are helping the developing process by offloading the OpenXR/OpenComposite devs and letting them concentrate on what is important

One thing I want to add is that I have updated the guide last Friday and removed a redundant step and made it a little faster to read and follow. I understand you used the 'alternative' method which doesn't auto-update. I also hope you have used the .dll from the official build and not Jabbah's that still up. Those damn Youtube videos are refusing to die even with my disclaimer at the top of the page

Either way, I'm glad it worked for you - but I still hope that anyone who tries OpenXR with DCS will go through 6 simple steps that I have outlined. They are still current and updated. Most will complete this in 15-60min

Edited by fitness88

3 hours ago, NOOB314 said:

Using the Open XR toolkit to log performance tracks of GPU and CPU how do I make sense of the numbers given? Theres a 5 digit number under each for GPU/CPU but what is this/relate to?

They are the cpu and GPU frame times, from memory divide by 1000 to put it in ms

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

I've tried to configure my oculus Quest2 for openXR, following this guide

But i can't have the openXR toolkit menu into DCS.

i request your help for my settings.

What i did  :

1) Clean/Repair DCS ==> done

2) Download latest release of OpenXR Tools for windows ==>done

And it seems to work, as in systems status, it's "installed and active"

3/4) download and Set runtime to OpenComposite ==>done

And it seems to work, as dcs icon is detected and seems active.

5)  WMRP ==> Not working (Q2 not detected) but wouldn't that be normal?

6) On oculus software, Open XR is defined as active

7 ) OpenXR Toolkit ==>seems to work because "active" and openCompositeDCS is enabled ==>can't acces to openXRtoolkit menu into DCS

I've read other ressources on the web, asking to change a registry key ([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1\AvailableRuntimes]
"C:\\Program Files\\Oculus\\Support\\oculus-runtime\\oculus_openxr_64.json" to 1 (instead of 0))

So i request for your help with the following questions :

Should i use OpenXR/OpenComposite mods for DCS? I've tried but openXRtoolkit is still not working.

Is there other things to do?

Is there a way to make the Q2 works on WMRP? 

Does anyone can help me and give me the right procedure to make it work? Or it's not worth insisting to make it work with Q2?

Thanks for your help !

Edited by pognhek
  • Like 1

@pognhek

Have you set the quest2 to use openvr (steamvr) runtimes instead of the oculus runtimes, open composite hooks into the VR compositor when openvr runtime is active but will ignore the oculus runtime.

I think because the oculus runtimes natively support openxr the toolkit and demo will work independently of DCS (because there is an active openxr runtime).

Using  Reverb G2, adjusting the resolution via “custom render scale” or "pixel density"; I have this setting in DCS, as well as openxr tools and again in openxr toolkit.  if I want 105% do I set all 3 to 105% or do I turn 2 down as low as they will go and set 105% to just one of them?

Edited by fitness88