OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

6 minutes ago, dutchili said:

I just discovered it all doesn't matter in MP. I get 60 fps in 2d with everything maxed out.

In VR i get 16 fps on the ground with all settings on the lowest value, while I can run them maxed out in single player.

16 fps would be very difficult to deal with, I've found that tweaking some of the graphic's card settings have helped.  Not all Nvidia 3D settings work in VR, it's a lot of trial and error. Pixel Density is a huge fps hitter.

12 minutes ago, fitness88 said:

Using  Reverb G2, adjusting the resolution via “custom render scale” or "pixel density"; I have this setting in DCS, as well as openxr tools and again in openxr toolkit.  if I want 105% do I set all 3 to 105% or do I turn 2 down as low as they will go and set 105% to just one of them?

Best to leave the openxr tools as default, leave the DCS pixel density at 1 (as per the instructions on page 1) and use the openxr toolkit to override the resolution to what you want. 105% would be approximately 3320 pixels wide.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

3 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Best to leave the openxr tools as default, leave the DCS pixel density at 1 (as per the instructions on page 1) and use the openxr toolkit to override the resolution to what you want. 105% would be approximately 3320 pixels wide.

As for openxr tools I leave it off by not putting a check mark in this option.  OK, I'll leave DCS at default 1 and work the openxr toolkit only...thanks!

16 fps would be very difficult to deal with, I've found that tweaking some of the graphic's card settings have helped.  Not all Nvidia 3D settings work in VR, it's a lot of trial and error. Pixel Density is a huge fps hitter.
Seeing a lot talking about DCS settings but close to nothing for Nvidia Control Panel settings, any advice? Wich settings I need to tweak?
Thx.

Inviato dal mio BLA-L09 utilizzando Tapatalk

Check out Thud's tuning guides, do all the system tweaks and the nvidia control panel stuff is in there as well I think.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

13 hours ago, pognhek said:

Hi all,

I've tried to configure my oculus Quest2 for openXR, following this guide

But i can't have the openXR toolkit menu into DCS.

i request your help for my settings.

What i did  :

1) Clean/Repair DCS ==> done

2) Download latest release of OpenXR Tools for windows ==>done

And it seems to work, as in systems status, it's "installed and active"

3/4) download and Set runtime to OpenComposite ==>done

And it seems to work, as dcs icon is detected and seems active.

5)  WMRP ==> Not working (Q2 not detected) but wouldn't that be normal?

6) On oculus software, Open XR is defined as active

7 ) OpenXR Toolkit ==>seems to work because "active" and openCompositeDCS is enabled ==>can't acces to openXRtoolkit menu into DCS

I've read other ressources on the web, asking to change a registry key ([HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Khronos\OpenXR\1\AvailableRuntimes]
"C:\\Program Files\\Oculus\\Support\\oculus-runtime\\oculus_openxr_64.json" to 1 (instead of 0))

So i request for your help with the following questions :

Should i use OpenXR/OpenComposite mods for DCS? I've tried but openXRtoolkit is still not working.

Is there other things to do?

Is there a way to make the Q2 works on WMRP? 

Does anyone can help me and give me the right procedure to make it work? Or it's not worth insisting to make it work with Q2?

Thanks for your help !

There seems to be some issues on certain versions of Oculus software. 

You can use the "legacy menu" mode that shouldn't be affected by these issues:

1) turn on OpenXR Toolkit Safe mode from the Companion app

2) start the game.  Menu should work.

3) go to Menu tab and set Legacy menu to On

4) turn off Safe mode and try the game again.

This seems to solve the problem for every reported case.

This account is now inactive and not monitored.

I must drop the dll in the bin folder, because the system wide Tool doesn't workon my Pc, no matter what I try.
How do you guys know when you need to update Open Composite? The tool makes auto updates?
I don't see any release numbers in github and also the dll files has no version numbers. So I'm unsure when to re-download the dll files.

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

The tool doesn't autoupdate, if you open the switcher and there's an update available it will tell you but it's a manual thing.
Out of interest, is your DCS install or the switcher running in program files at all?

5 hours ago, edmuss said:

The tool doesn't autoupdate, if you open the switcher and there's an update available it will tell you but it's a manual thing.
Out of interest, is your DCS install or the switcher running in program files at all?

DCS and switcher app are both not located in "program files".
I use custom a path. Something like G:\Games\DCS.openbeta and G:\Games\Tools\OCSwitcher

SYSTEM: Mainboard MSI MEG X570 | CPU Ryzen 7 5800X @ 4.5 GHz | RAM 64 GB @ 3200 MHz | GPU GIGABYTE RTX 4090 | 1 TB SSD | Win 10 x64

DEVICES: ASUS 27" LCD | TrackIR 5 | LukeClip | Quest 3 | PointCTRL | Virpil HOTAS | MFG Crosswind | TableMount MonsterTech

MODULES: To much to list. But I stopped buying more, because of too much bugs in e.g. A-10C(II). @ED: Fix the bugs and I spend money on modules again. Promised.

PROJECTS: OpenFlightSchool: DE / EN

Since a few days I'm unable to launch DCS with OpenXR. SteamVR seems to be hijacking my G2 headset. I've tried to reset the preferred framework in SteamVR and WMRP, as well as in OpenComposite. Whatever I do, DCS always starts with SteamVR.

Any ideas?

16 hours ago, mbucchia said:

There seems to be some issues on certain versions of Oculus software. 

You can use the "legacy menu" mode that shouldn't be affected by these issues:

1) turn on OpenXR Toolkit Safe mode from the Companion app

2) start the game.  Menu should work.

3) go to Menu tab and set Legacy menu to On

4) turn off Safe mode and try the game again.

This seems to solve the problem for every reported case.

Hi all

@mbucchia

thx for your help.

I've tried your suggestions, but the menu don't appear even in safe mode (step 2). What should i check?

@edmuss

How do configure the oculus to use openVR runtimes instead of the oculus runtimes. The only settings i have, are (see below):

-Tools openXR for MR : define openXR as active runtime:

-Oculus software to set openXR as active.

SO i don't know how to configure for OpenVR.

Thks for your help

A.

Outils OpenXR pour Windows Mixed Reality.jpg

2022-10-17 19_01_46-Oculus.jpg

2022-10-17 19_03_20-OpenXR Toolkit Companion app.jpg

54 minutes ago, pognhek said:

How do configure the oculus to use openVR runtimes instead of the oculus runtimes.

Unfortunately I can't help you with that one I'm afraid. It might be the force steamvr switch on the DCS executable?

edit: a 3 second Google search came up with the following: -

Edited by edmuss

I tried forcing SteamVR, but no luck.
Performance of OpenXR is a little better than Oculus VR, especially noticeable in multiplayer.

However....having all settings at 'max' and PD at 1.0 still provides issues in VR for me (Quest 2, 3070, i7). When reducing to 0.9 i all works again....but at that resolution there is not use in having max settings....

It is really time for multi-threading so that we can play 'max settings' in VR with half the same frame rate as we get in non-vr.

2 hours ago, dutchili said:

It is really time for multi-threading so that we can play 'max settings' in VR with half the same frame rate as we get in non-vr.

It was really time 12 months ago. We are all very fortunate that OpenXR has literally come to the rescue for DCS otherwise I think we'd all be in a lot bigger problem than we are now - however I do feel that that is borrowed time. I know ED have been working on MT and Vulkan for quite some time - I hope for everyone's sake it's much closer than it "feels".

• Like 1

12 hours ago, dutchili said:

However....having all settings at 'max' and PD at 1.0 still provides issues in VR for me (Quest 2, 3070, i7). When reducing to 0.9 i all works again....but at that resolution there is not use in having max settings....

How so? I use .9 PD and max everything out and I get great results.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

21 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

How so? I use .9 PD and max everything out and I get great results.

I use 2600 wide (about 0.82PD equivalent) and most things are on high, frametimes generally from 9ms to 13ms running the headset at 60Hz.

6 hours ago, edmuss said:

I use 2600 wide (about 0.82PD equivalent) and most things are on high, frametimes generally from 9ms to 13ms running the headset at 60Hz.

at PD < 1.0 you can also set textures to Low, because you won't see the difference with High, unless you zoom in.

Not the case at all, I can read all text, guages and dials without having to lean in or zoom. Openxr seems to handle downsampling better than steamvr. Set the textures to low and they're unreadable.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, edmuss said:

Unfortunately I can't help you with that one I'm afraid. It might be the force steamvr switch on the DCS executable?

edit: a 3 second Google search came up with the following: -

ok but on what i see, it's supposed that you're using steam. But i'm not using steam.

I'm wondering what settings some of you are using to tune the colors in the Reverb G2 within the Open XR menu?  Trying to get the best image with the least amount of washed out colors. Thanks!

AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D | ASUS Crosshair Hero X670E | 64GB G Skill Trident Z DDR5 6000 | Nvidia RTX 4090 FE| Samsung EVO Plus 6 TB M.2 PCIe SSDs | TM Hornet Stick/WinWing Hornet Throttle and MIP | VPC T-50 Stick Base | TM TPR Rudder Pedals W/Damper | Varjo Aero/Pimax Crystal

VFA-25 Fist of the Fleet

Carrier Strike Group One(CSG-1) Discord