OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

@nikoel

I'm not sure that addresses the issue I'm seeing.  I used a similar method with the headset but it appears to me right now that...

The IHADDS boresight seems to work ok until you use the DCS recenter bind, then the boresight is bugged.  I would love someone to double check this for me.  Before the recenter I can get the boresight spot on where using auto range at say 500yards will have very accurate fire.  As soon as I recenter the HMD using the DCS binding I can no longer accurately boresight the IHADDS.  It's always off after that.

When I get a minute I'll remove OpenXR and give SteamVR another shot and see if it goes back to working correctly.

Aside from this though...  OpenXR has sold me for sure.  Very good results related to smoothness, and clarity.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Thank you for this.

I had great results but i still can't live without my motion reprojection.

And reprojection works with openxr in less demanding scenarios - single player missions.
When i tried it on a populated MP server it got a stuttery mess. Reconnect without reprojection was fine. (Tried that multiple times to confirm.)

So i'll surely be back when motion reprojection support get's improved one day.

Edited by Sile

This is giving me some of the smoothest VR flying ever..  The only issue I am having is a problem with some kind of masking on the left eye.  It only occurs when in the flying environment (the main menus seem just fine)..  I have attached a screen shot from the display mirror.  It is obviously a bit distorted but the masking is quite obvious.  Has anyone else experienced this?  It isn't a cross-eyed image..

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2022.03.21 - 00.23.06.44.png

2 minutes ago, Astronut said:

This is giving me some of the smoothest VR flying ever..  The only issue I am having is a problem with some kind of masking on the left eye.  It only occurs when in the flying environment (the main menus seem just fine)..  I have attached a screen shot from the display mirror.  It is obviously a bit distorted but the masking is quite obvious.  Has anyone else experienced this?  It isn't a cross-eyed image..

Digital Combat Simulator  Black Shark Screenshot 2022.03.21 - 00.23.06.44.png

Just create your own mask. Or use my .ini but it’s specific to my headset 

I was able to correct the issue I was having with NumPad 5 centering my view, despite having it unmapped everywhere. That apparently causes the problem. I ended up remapping "center view" to something like alt+shift+ctrl+capslock. Something that was complicated and unused, and that has fixed the problem with numpad 5 causing centering issues. This has improved my experience already even more.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2022 at 11:33 AM, nikoel said:

If you are on the edge of 11ms frame time then you will get a mixture of 90fps and 45fps which when averaged over a second will give something in between. OpenXR monitors the frame times and blocks the start of rendering so that the most recent tracking data (headset position) is available to render the frame. This is a bit different to SteamVR and things like CapFrameX/DCS definitely don't give the right values. It could be that DCS performance metrics is also confused by this. You can only render at 90fps or 45fps. Any reported value inbetween is due to some kind of averaging over a time period 

Should I lock my fps to 45 or 30 to get smooth experience without reprojection? Even if I have 50-70 fps I get small stutter / judder / butter. Many here seems to have smooth experience without reprojection. Nvidia control panel maxFPS doesn't work or graphics.lua maxfps. 

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

I tested SteamVR and OpenXR back and forth on my system a couple of times (5900X, RTX3800, Reverb G2) and the results are, well... inconclusive at best. 

I used only the three files provided in the first post, did not use OXR toolkit. Set the resolution for both frameworks to 60%, which judging by performance and image quality, match quite well. Used the same settings I normally use for DCS, I don't have any shader mods. At these settings I'm GPU limited almost all the time. Also checked the performance metrics from MSI Afterburner after each session and compared results.

The performance between SteamVR and OpenXR is roughly the same for me: In the light MiG-15 clear weather mission, OpenXR seems to be using about 500-1GB less VRAM. In a cloudy AH-64 mission, both frameworks use all the memory of my GPU (10GB). In the MiG-15 mission, both achieve 90 fps, but dip slightly below when looking around. In the AH-64 mission, OpenXR hovers around 38-44fps mark, SteamVR shows a few fps more, maybe because it's being uncapped as mentioned before. Not that it makes a noticeable difference in smoothness. GPU power draw in this situation is also slightly higher for SVR, which would confirm that theory.

Image quality in OpenXR seems to be a bit better, in that the image seems to be a bit sharper, but also more jittery. So it's not like a resolution bump, more like a sharpen filter, or just a different scaling algortihm being used. Always hard to compare these things without the actual frame side by side displayed on the monitor. 

Motion smoothing in OpenXR does not work when set to auto, but works when forced on. However, it's always on, even if the framerate dips below 45 fps. In that case, it's using the next divider (1/3rd or 1/4th) and having motion smoothing from 20fps is a miserable experience anyway. 

Overall, it's an interesting development, but not a magic boost like some other claim here, at least not for me. May be different hardware, game settings, or just placebo effect at play. 

• Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

18 minutes ago, some1 said:

I tested SteamVR and OpenXR back and forth on my system a couple of times (5900X, RTX3800, Reverb G2) and the results are, well... inconclusive at best. 

I used only the three files provided in the first post, did not use OXR toolkit. Set the resolution for both frameworks to 60%, which judging by performance and image quality, match quite well. Used the same settings I normally use for DCS, I don't have any shader mods. At these settings I'm GPU limited almost all the time. Also checked the performance metrics from MSI Afterburner after each session and compared results.

The performance between SteamVR and OpenXR is roughly the same for me: In the light MiG-15 clear weather mission, OpenXR seems to be using about 500-1GB less VRAM. In a cloudy AH-64 mission, both frameworks use all the memory of my GPU (10GB). In the MiG-15 mission, both achieve 90 fps, but dip slightly below when looking around. In the AH-64 mission, OpenXR hovers around 38-44fps mark, SteamVR shows a few fps more, maybe because it's being uncapped as mentioned before. Not that it makes a noticeable difference in smoothness. GPU power draw in this situation is also slightly higher for SVR, which would confirm that theory.

Image quality in OpenXR seems to be a bit better, in that the image seems to be a bit sharper, but also more jittery. So it's not like a resolution bump, more like a sharpen filter, or just a different scaling algortihm being used. Always hard to compare these things without the actual frame side by side displayed on the monitor. 

Motion smoothing in OpenXR does not work when set to auto, but works when forced on. However, it's always on, even if the framerate dips below 45 fps. In that case, it's using the next divider (1/3rd or 1/4th) and having motion smoothing from 20fps is a miserable experience anyway. 

Overall, it's an interesting development, but not a magic boost like some other claim here, at least not for me. May be different hardware, game settings, or just placebo effect at play. 

Jesus Christ with those quality settings you may swell been running a 1070

Took a Ferrari for a spin. Did 60km/h. Can confirm the speed felt the same as Toyota Yaris at 60km/h

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 3

I prefer to run high DCS settings (MSAA, shadows, high res textures) rather than bump headset supersampling. 60% in SteamVR is already higher than G2 screens resolution, not sure if it translates the same in OpenXR, but it seems so, looking at the performance and image quality. 100% in OpenXR certainly tanked the FPS, to the point of being unplayable. 

Edited by some1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

44 minutes ago, some1 said:

The performance between SteamVR and OpenXR is roughly the same for me: In the light MiG-15 clear weather mission, OpenXR seems to be using about 500-1GB less VRAM. In a cloudy AH-64 mission, both frameworks use all the memory of my GPU (10GB). In the MiG-15 mission, both achieve 90 fps, but dip slightly below when looking around. In the AH-64 mission, OpenXR hovers around 38-44fps mark, SteamVR shows a few fps more,

would be interesting to see if your system is actually GPU limited like most of us. If you are CPU limited, then you would probably not see any fps benefits with openXR

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

With a RTX2080Ti and i7 7700K I saw an improvement in smoothness during the hour I tested it yesterday. I had recently put DCS on the shelf after 10 years due to stutters, this might change that. I REALLY hope ED looks into this. 

The HMD (can’t recall it’s actual name now) in the Apache was a bit off but I haven’t tried to fix it yet, will look through this thread again tonight. 

A big shout out to people like you who dig around for solutions to problems like this. 

• Like 1
http://www.masterarms.se A Swedish Combat Flight Simulator Community.

1 hour ago, winghunter said:

would be interesting to see if your system is actually GPU limited like most of us. If you are CPU limited, then you would probably not see any fps benefits with openXR

Sure it looks like it's GPU limited in FpsVR and MSI Afterburner. 

Anyway, just to do a baseline test and avoid the variation between various DCS settings, I recorded the graphs below when using 100% resolution in both SteamVR and OXR, and with VR preset in DCS. First mission is AH-64 in overcast, the second is MiG-15 in clear sky. Not much of a difference to be honest. The VRAM footprint is the same this time, the fps in the Apache may be slightly better in the OXR with less fluctuations, but hard to be sure. If there's a mind blowing difference somewhere, then sadly not on my PC. 

ovr11.jpg

ovr22.jpg

Edited by some1
  • Like 1

Very smooth experience and stunning visual quality compared to SteamVR. From 45-50 fps on Syria ground up to 90 fps airborne with AH-64D. Well done, highly appreciated!

High settings on most, MSAA/SSAO/SSLR etc off, OpenXR cust rend scale at 80%, Montion Repro disabled, OpenXR Toolkit NIS/FSR off.

Some issues with HMD not being aligned if I dont apply the Win+Y trick at DCS boot (know its being investigated).

Ryzen 7 5800x/3090/64GB 3600/M.2 980 Pro/HP G2

Cheers

Core i9 12900KF | ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 64GB DDR5 5200MHz | 3 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | MSI MAG 322CQR 32´ | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Throttle | Thrusmaster T-Pendular Rudder | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 11

1 hour ago, winghunter said:

Everybody is CPU (or RAM) -limited in MP.  Nobody is CPU limited in Caucasus Free Flight, which is where us benchmark nerds like to do our thing.  (You might could get yourself that way by maxing out stuff like clouds, trees, clutter etc.  All of which affect CPU times at least as much as GPU.  Best not to do that when benchmarking.)

Primarily, what limits your GPU is primarily how many pixels you're trying to make, keeping in mind that supersampling and MSAA both affect that number.  Texture quality may matter depending on your GPU.  

Here, on the other hand, we are looking specifically at a software inefficiency in the SVR-WMR interface.  Discussion in this Reddit post. 

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Let me ask one more question:

Reshade 5.0.2 doesn't work anymore, right?
In Reshade I like the colour adjustments.

When I do a repair DCS, DCS told me that files were found that didn't belong there (in the "bin" folder).
Some of them belong to Reshade.
Do I have to uninstall Reshade before installing OpenXR?

Edited by A.F.

On 21/03/2022 at 05:33, M1Combat said:

@nikoel

Je ne suis pas sûr que cela résout le problème que je vois. J'ai utilisé une méthode similaire avec le casque mais il me semble en ce moment que...

L'axe de visée IHADDS semble fonctionner correctement jusqu'à ce que vous utilisiez la liaison de recentrage DCS, puis l'axe de visée est bogué. J'aimerais que quelqu'un vérifie cela pour moi. Avant le plus récent, je peux obtenir le point de visée sur lequel l'utilisation de la portée automatique à, disons, 500 mètres aura un tir très précis. Dès que je recentre le HMD à l'aide de la liaison DCS, je ne peux plus viser avec précision l'IHADDS. C'est toujours éteint après ça.

Quand j'aurai une minute, je supprimerai OpenXR et donnerai une autre chance à SteamVR et je verrai s'il se remet à fonctionner correctement.

En dehors de cela cependant ... OpenXR m'a vendu à coup sûr. De très bons résultats liés à la douceur et à la clarté.

Hello, I have the same problem with openXR and IHADSS. With StemVr, no problem on this side.

On 3/21/2022 at 5:33 AM, M1Combat said:

@nikoel

I'm not sure that addresses the issue I'm seeing.  I used a similar method with the headset but it appears to me right now that...

The IHADDS boresight seems to work ok until you use the DCS recenter bind, then the boresight is bugged.  I would love someone to double check this for me.  Before the recenter I can get the boresight spot on where using auto range at say 500yards will have very accurate fire.  As soon as I recenter the HMD using the DCS binding I can no longer accurately boresight the IHADDS.  It's always off after that.

When I get a minute I'll remove OpenXR and give SteamVR another shot and see if it goes back to working correctly.

Aside from this though...  OpenXR has sold me for sure.  Very good results related to smoothness, and clarity.

I have the same, for both the Apache and the F16 HMCS

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.

@Jekel @Marco Schaap

I've found a workaround...

Place the headset on your head and sit "naturally" when DCS is loading.  DO NOT EVER use the DCS recentering button.  It will work OK until you use that recenter...  then it will be broken.  

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

On 3/21/2022 at 7:33 AM, nikoel said:

Just create your own mask. Or use my .ini but it’s specific to my headset 

On 3/21/2022 at 7:37 AM, Astronut said:

Great, thanks..  I just took a look at the ini file and saw the G2 section that was disabled.  I am going to enable it and try again.  I'll report back.

Hello!

I had initially the same issue with my G2 that the mask was off like Astronut had. After I enabled the mask correction in the opencomposite file, I now have this:

image.pngpic

It is much less annoying with than without it, but there is still some masking issues in the left eye, especially left and low-left areas of the left eye. Any suggestions how to proceed?

Thank you!

Edited by Sir Charcharro

11600K/3080Ti/32gb/1Tb NVME/HP G2

4 hours ago, M1Combat said:

@Jekel @Marco Schaap

I've found a workaround...

Place the headset on your head and sit "naturally" when DCS is loading.  DO NOT EVER use the DCS recentering button.  It will work OK until you use that recenter...  then it will be broken.  

I'll try this out, thanks!

EDIT: That works great! My center is a little off but I can live with that for now ☺️

Edited by Marco Schaap

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.