OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

1 hour ago, Sr. said:

Blades still there with motion repro set to Always On.

confirmed, still see the blades as well (with MR always on).

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

1 minute ago, TED said:

Wow.. Stumbled on this thread after getting a bit frustrated since the apache seemed to hit the system hard. I honestly didn't expect much but gave it a try. 

What a huge difference!!!! It's a different game for me. 6900xt all max resolution and I never seen such a clear, crisp  image running so smoothly. I never liked steamvr but didn't realise it was screwing so much up. I only did a quick sp and quick mp test so need to tweak and test more tomorrow but so far all default it's waaaayy exceeded my expectations. 

Curious if you've tried RSR in the Adrenaline app?

Screenshot 2022-03-25 192953.jpg

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, Sr. said:

Curious if you've tried RSR in the Adrenaline app?

Screenshot 2022-03-25 192953.jpg

This doesn’t work

It’s based off screen resolution. In our case screen being the physical monitor

it will show that it’s working if you launch the game in pancake 🥞 mode below the native resolution. But because it doesn’t understand WMRP/SteamVR/OpenXR this is currently not possible 

You can give FSR inside the toolkit a go though. In my experience through the moving picture is significantly worse than it should be. I don’t know why

26 minutes ago, fargo007 said:

After rebooting, I'm now starting only in 2d mode.  Where is openvr.dll located?  I don't see it in either open-composite-dcs-main.zip or open-composite-acc-v0.6.2.zip.

Thank you.  I had this running and loved it.  Want it back.

I have the openvr_api.dll residing in the \dcs world open beta \bin dir

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

11 minutes ago, fargo007 said:

Yup me too.

so DCS is only starting in 2D for you, no matter what?  you can always try going into your DCS \ bin (via command line), and then try: dcs.exe --force_enable_VR

Not sure what you're asking though. the .dll you asked about, you have in the correct dir

Edit:  I'll look in a bit, but there's probably a setting somewhere in the DCS GUI to force VR.  (honestly, I haven't flown pancake in so long, I need to look.  It's probably right in front of my face within the menu's)

Edit:  look under the VR tab (of the options), to see if you have "enable virtual reality headset" still checked  (sorry, just a stab...)

Edited by javelina1
further info

• nikoel changed the title to [Update 26/3 V0.6.2] OpenXR Quickstart Guide (For G2, G1 and other Headsets)
10 hours ago, Baldrick33 said:

Spurred on by the comments I decided to give it another go. Definitely a bump in image quality but like @timcat anything less than 90hz is instantly noticeable and I need reprojection. Thanks to this thread I was able to get it working after the “bubble” experience but it isn’t great compared with SteamVR. Given the bump in image quality I might try reducing the OpenXR resolution but would be surprised if I get near to maintaining 90 fps. I think I am sensitive to frame rates and simply can’t cope with <90fps without reprojection

Same. It's a shame i'm not like the guys in here who are not sensitive to low framerate. I'm jealous. Without reprojection low framerate is unplayable to be

3 hours ago, fargo007 said:

So where I'm at now (having reinstalled everything) is I can make DCS start in VR with --force_enable_VR, but it doesn't show in the headset.

And also doesn't track.

Thanks for helping. This was awesome.

Did you tick Enable VR headset in the VR tab in Settings? Writing your message in this tone will probably yield you a lot of helping hands.

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI X570 Tomahawk, 32GB G.Skill F4-3600C15D @ 3866C14, ASRock Taichi 7900XTX, HP Reverb G2, VPC WarBRD-D & Thrustmaster F16 Viper & F18 Super Hornet, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle.

I'll add my experience that I'm getting the extra juddering/ghosting/double vision when moving my head while dropping below 90fps with motion reprojection disabled.

I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling steamvr, wmr, openxr, wmr4svr. I've tried what a previous posted said worked for him and set steamvr as the openxr runtime and then set it back to openxr. I've tried installing the openxr toolkit and enabled the overlay, but none has worked.

Hopefully someone finds a fix for it.

It works now but it is more "juddery" than SteamVR at the moment but at the same time more "fluid" if You understand what I'm trying to say?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

_____________Semper paratus, In hoc signo vinces________________

PC: Intel i7-8700K (4.9 GHz), Aorus Ultra Gaming Z370 MB, Gigabyte RTX 3080, 32 GB DDR3 (3,2 GHz), Samsung EVO 860 M.2 500 GB SSD + Samsung 960 M.2 250 GB SSD Gaming: Virpil T-50 CM2, TM WH Throttle, Crosswind pedals, HP Reverb

3 hours ago, theperson said:

I'll add my experience that I'm getting the extra juddering/ghosting/double vision when moving my head while dropping below 90fps with motion reprojection disabled.

I've tried uninstalling & reinstalling steamvr, wmr, openxr, wmr4svr. I've tried what a previous posted said worked for him and set steamvr as the openxr runtime and then set it back to openxr. I've tried installing the openxr toolkit and enabled the overlay, but none has worked.

Hopefully someone finds a fix for it.

umm not to knit pick but why are you using SteamVR??

I wanted to say that when I start OpenXR and launch DCS it starts in the headset and then goes to desktop twice but the thing is the 2nd time it relaunches the OpenXR triangles appearing and dissappearing the sound gets set REAL loud and I try turning it down but every time I launch DCS it resets the sound to loud, I had to mute that in the mixer it is really bad..

But other then that I am so happy this worked for me, I think others need to read the Entire OP again as I think most miss the important info..like stated in the OP..

Edited by The_Nephilim

ASRock Z590 Phantom Gaming 4/AC / Intel i7 10700K @ 5.1Ghz / Noctua DHS-14 Heatsinkw/Fan /  Samsung 970plus m.2 1TB  /  eVGA FTW3 2080Ti /  RipJaws - 64GB RAM @3200  /  SoundBlaster Z  / Reverb G2 VR /  ThrustMaster HOTAS Cougar & MFD's / Buttkicker Gamer 2

I have just installed Windows 10 on a new SSD and also set up WMR for the HP G2. 

Windows tells me that OpenXR has also been installed.

Can there be conflicts between your OpenXR and the Windows OpenXR?

This is definitely working great for me. Only thing is does anyone know how to get rid of the little red box in the tip of my view that is showing a small overlay of performance. Basically it shows red if at 45fps and green at 90. Nice to know but I can’t hide it for some reason. 

25 minutes ago, The_Nephilim said:

umm not to knit pick but why are you using SteamVR??

The fix for some of us for reprojection is to set the OpenXR runtime to SteamVR and then back to WMR. Plus it seems to need to have WMR for SteamVR beta not standard installed when doing so.

For me anything below 90fps without motion reprojection is a no go be it OpenXR or StreamVR. Motion reprojection is a must. Anything other than smooth motion just kills the immersion in VR for me.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

41 minutes ago, TED said:

This is definitely working great for me. Only thing is does anyone know how to get rid of the little red box in the tip of my view that is showing a small overlay of performance. Basically it shows red if at 45fps and green at 90. Nice to know but I can’t hide it for some reason. 

In the early WMR days we had to edit a text file for motion reprojection settings. This was then superseded by SteamVR settings. Maybe you need to edit the file again? It is under \Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settingssteamapps\default.vrsettings

Edit the lines so

// Motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
    //     green = off because application can render at full framerate
    //     cyan  = on because application is cpu bound
    //     blue  = on because application is gpu bound
    //     red   = off because application running at less than half framerate or motion reprojection disabled
    //
    //     green + cyan + blue = motion reprojection half-framerate mode or application requested motion reprojection
    "motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled": false,

Edit: I would assume this file is redundant using OpenXR but you never know...

Edited by Baldrick33
  • Thanks 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

39 minutes ago, MA_Goblin said:

It works now but it is more "juddery" than SteamVR at the moment but at the same time more "fluid" if You understand what I'm trying to say?

Yeah exactly.  Looking out the 3/9 line it's not so much like a strobe effect, it looks a little blurry. 

Not sure we get rid of that completely until we can run at 120hz or more.  Interesting commentary here from a filmmaker's perspective. 

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

48 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

In the early WMR days we had to edit a text file for motion reprojection settings. This was then superseded by SteamVR settings. Maybe you need to edit the file again? It is under \Steam\steamapps\common\MixedRealityVRDriver\resources\settingssteamapps\default.vrsettings

Edit the lines so

// Motion reprojection indicator to display the mode currently selected
    //     green = off because application can render at full framerate
    //     cyan  = on because application is cpu bound
    //     blue  = on because application is gpu bound
    //     red   = off because application running at less than half framerate or motion reprojection disabled
    //
    //     green + cyan + blue = motion reprojection half-framerate mode or application requested motion reprojection
    "motionReprojectionIndicatorEnabled": false,

It was even easier….there was box in openXR tools 😂. It was a late night!

• Like 1

More of my testing insights, just in case this is useful for anyone.

I've been testing which are the results of changing the resolution scale in the OpenXR Tools for Windows panel VS doing it in the OpenComposite's ini file, using the supersampleRatio option. I'm getting like 10fps more by adjusting the scale via OpenComposite and letting the custom scaling disabled in OpenXR Tools. 

Regarding the motion reprojection issue, definitely in my case is due to that enabling it causes my FPS to take a considerable hit. So with MR disabled I get 50 to 70 FPS on F18 free flight over caucasus, but with it enabled it can't surpass the 30 FPS (unless I'm looking at the sky), hence I'm getting 30hz reprojected to 90hz, wich I think it what makes this MR looks worse than SteamVR's MR, wich always managed to give 45hz reprojected to 90hz.

The benefits alone of being able to increase the resolution so much with OpenXR make me stick with it, if just this little MR issue could be solved to achive smooth reprojection would make this the definitive VR API to use in DCS IMHO. 

PD: Getting rid of SteamVR's spamming flashing screens during loading times is a god sent gift also 🤣 

Edited by cSonora
  • Like 1

Will try this tomorrow. Not home atm.

Only had my G2 for a week now and having smooth performance on a simple training mission in Nevada with the Apache. Running 45 fps and reprojection on. This with steamVR.

But based on feedback I should get better clarity and better colours? Am I right?

5 minutes ago, cSonora said:

Regarding the motion reprojection issue, definitely in my case is due to that enabling it causes my FPS to take a considerable hit. So with MR disabled I get 50 to 70 FPS on F18 free flight over caucasus, but with it enabled it can't surpass the 30 FPS (unless I'm looking at the sky), hence I'm getting 30hz reprojected to 90hz, wich I think it what makes this MR looks worse than SteamVR's MR, wich always managed to give 45hz reprojected to 90hz.

I have been surprised how often it drops to 30 fps yet I can't say I really notice any difference at 30 vs 45. I have turned off the fps counter for now and see how it goes!

14 minutes ago, cSonora said:

I've been testing which are the results of changing the resolution scale in the OpenXR Tools for Windows panel VS doing it in the OpenComposite's ini file, using the supersampleRatio option. I'm getting like 10fps more by adjusting the scale via OpenComposite and letting the custom scaling disabled in OpenXR Tools. 

I have the same experience, scaling on OpenXR tools does nothing to performance. I will try with the OC ini file.

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled