OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

19 minutes ago, TED said:

@nikoelI downloaded the latest beta and all works great but I can't seem to access kr find the fixes foveated rendering options. Any tips or ideas? 

Have you enabled experimental settings, I am not sure if this is needed but I did it anyway!

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

2 hours ago, Ollie said:

You need to have WMRP off. Start DCS and the WMRP will load automatically - no error message. Always close down WMRP before starting DCS.

Getting the same error message. WMRP is off. OpenXR Demo is working fine. 

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

34 minutes ago, TED said:

@nikoelI downloaded the latest beta and all works great but I can't seem to access kr find the fixes foveated rendering options. Any tips or ideas? 

My friend let me guess. You are running a 6900XT (or something the like)

AMD has the integration for DX12 FFR only. This means we are second class citizens when it comes to FFR integration for DCS as it's DX9 that parades as DX11. With that said, I am running 45FPS constant in Syria inside the Apache now so it's not needed. We are officially CPU limited. It won't help us, neither will FSR

Edited by nikoel

25 minutes ago, nikoel said:

My friend let me guess. You are running a 6900XT (or something the like)

AMD has the integration for DX12 FFR only. This means we are second class citizens when it comes to FFR integration for DCS as it's DX9 that parades as DX11. With that said, I am running 45FPS constant in Syria inside the Apache now so it's not needed. We are officially CPU limited. It won't help us, neither will FSR

Ahhh of course. Yep. 

I don't need it anyway but was just curious. Same for me, last night I was online Syria server with 23 other players, mostly apaches and was getting 45fps and smooth. This was unthinkable before for me. 

And yes the cpu is definitely the limit. I still see occasional stutters as its trying to load AI. U can notice by just looking at ai and watch fps take a little dip. 

Incifently I did reduce custom resolution in openxr to 80% with almost no degradation in image but keeps fps a bit steadier. 

41 minutes ago, Ready said:

Getting the same error message. WMRP is off. OpenXR Demo is working fine. 

I had the error code -13 quite consistently a few days back. It was fixed on my end by clicking "search for extra files after repair" in the DCS Updater and repairing once more. Turned out I had some old reshade .dlls inside the DCS main folder. After deleting those files, OpenXR has worked for me.

49 minutes ago, Col. Kernel said:

I had the error code -13 quite consistently a few days back. It was fixed on my end by clicking "search for extra files after repair" in the DCS Updater and repairing once more. Turned out I had some old reshade .dlls inside the DCS main folder. After deleting those files, OpenXR has worked for me.

Thanks, worked!!

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

2 hours ago, TED said:

I downloaded the latest beta and all works great but I can't seem to access kr find the fixes foveated rendering options. Any tips or ideas? 

Same question; is fixes foveated rendering available on AMD cards? (RX6900XT here)

sorry, already answered some post ago...

Edited by Topo

55 minutes ago, Ready said:

Thanks, worked!!

No it didn't. It was still sneakily opening SteamVR.. I just figured out that OpenVR capture for OBS recording also still needs SteamVR.. No alternative yet I guess. Will wait with the switching..

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

For something folks tell me is not a Mod, this sure seems to create a lot of issues from reading this thread. I am tempted but I also so enjoy the many hours of completely trouble free flying from my install. I so wish DCS would look at adding native Open XR support. Works fantastic in MSFS 2020.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

16 minutes ago, dburne said:

For something folks tell me is not a Mod, this sure seems to create a lot of issues from reading this thread. I am tempted but I also so enjoy the many hours of completely trouble free flying from my install. I so wish DCS would look at adding native Open XR support. Works fantastic in MSFS 2020.

I was rather sceptical as my initial try was disappointing but having just done a back to back test having got it working right the difference is significant enough for me to stick with OpenXR.

Thanks to those on this thread the legwork of getting it installed is largely done. Some aspects seems a little bizarre like switching the OpenXR runtime to SteamVR and back again to fix reprojection but a lot of knowledge has been gained in a short time. having just done the back to back test switching between OpenXR and SteamVR is a simple and very quick process without touching DCS settings other than replacing a couple of files.

I would say it is a pretty safe thing to try with little risk of messing up your installation.

Edited by Baldrick33

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

5 minutes ago, dburne said:

I don't see how you can call it anything other than a mod? It MODifies the openvr runtime DLL to translate directly to openxr.

I think the issues that people have mostly been facing are largely due to not having a clean foundation to start with. A loose DLL here or there and it's all broken, the devs then have to spend precious development time trying to fix a non issue.

I'm sure that native openxr will arrive as and when vulkan does, both are products of the khronos group and should interoperate nicely. Additionally I believe that all of the vr vendors (valve/meta/microsoft/varjo) have signed up to use openxr.

If you're system configuration is clean and well optimized, DCS is thoroughly cleaned and you follow the instructions then it should all be good. You have to consider that it's not apples for apples and what you did before might not be the best for openxr. It's going to take time to configure, most of us have been tweaking, testing and measuring almost constantly for the last week.

Also it is a work in progress, it's not 100% perfect 100% of the time but it's pretty damn good from my end.

If you're concerned about breaking your DCS installation, create a copy of it to test in another location and install open composite there 🙂

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

32 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

I was rather sceptical as my initial try was disappointing but having just done a back to back test having got it working right the difference is significant enough for me to stick with OpenXR.

Thanks to those on this thread the legwork of getting it installed is largely done. Some aspects seems a little bizarre like switching the OpenXR runtime to SteamVR and back again to fix reprojection but a lot of knowledge has been gained in a short time. having just done the back to back test switching between OpenXR and SteamVR is a simple and very quick process without touching DCS settings other than replacing a couple of files.

I would say it is a pretty safe thing to try with little risk of messing up your installation.

Yep, I stumbled into that yesterday evening too. I switched back to SVR just to do some comparisons. And when I switched back to play with numbers dinner more I noticed first the external bubbly effect around the cockpit in f2 view was gone. And I had much, much less jitter when rolling, and zero while panning my view inside.

I was afraid to close it thinking it might revert back. 😆

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

it's literally an OVGME double click on/off once the OpenXR dev tools are installed. It backs out and in perfectly. I also tested DCS repair, it removes to the original also and takes less than 45 seconds to do one on NVMe. Simplest thing to add, but obvbiously you have to readd it each DCS update.
Classic gotchas are running SteamVR, or a repair afterinstalling. Will cause a Black screen. That's it. I still don't understand the benefit yet, in the HMD i'm not seeing the difference. I wonder if the placebo is caused by the DCS repair?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

I'm still trying to figure how using med textures and low terrain yield just as nice visual cockpit as high/high... I guess that's the magic of up scaling?

I hope @speed-of-heat is out there crunching numbers. Wish fpsVR would make an oxr version.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

4 minutes ago, Sr. said:

I'm still trying to figure how using med textures and low terrain yield just as nice visual cockpit as high/high... I guess that's the magic of up scaling?

I hope @speed-of-heat is out there crunching numbers. Wish fpsVR would make an oxr version.

Can you see anything in the mirror or is this all derived from in headset comparisons? I don't see the difference. What is actually changing? To be precise I see the same thing but with the OpenXR I get up to 30 frames less than with SteamVR and I can literally see the stutter in the mirror. I don't understand how I seem to be th eonly person who gets worse performance?

SIMPLE SCENERY SAVING * SIMPLE GROUP SAVING * SIMPLE STATIC SAVING *

5 minutes ago, Pikey said:

it's literally an OVGME double click on/off once the OpenXR dev tools are installed. It backs out and in perfectly. I also tested DCS repair, it removes to the original also and takes less than 45 seconds to do one on NVMe. Simplest thing to add, but obvbiously you have to readd it each DCS update.
Classic gotchas are running SteamVR, or a repair afterinstalling. Will cause a Black screen. That's it. I still don't understand the benefit yet, in the HMD i'm not seeing the difference. I wonder if the placebo is caused by the DCS repair?

Reminds me of a joke I once heard. Goes something like this:

Wife calls her husband and says, “Be careful driving home. Some idiot on is on the news! He is driving the wrong direction on the freeway.”
Husband frantically replies, “No! It’s not just one guy going the wrong direction! There’s hundreds of them!”

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pikey said:

Can you see anything in the mirror or is this all derived from in headset comparisons? I don't see the difference. What is actually changing? To be precise I see the same thing but with the OpenXR I get up to 30 frames less than with SteamVR and I can literally see the stutter in the mirror. I don't understand how I seem to be th eonly person who gets worse performance?

Have you tested with the settings turned right up? You benchmarked it on the vr preset didn't you?

Could it be that it's CPU bound and the GPU is just waiting?

I can't explain the losses you've recorded when compared to steamvr.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

22 minutes ago, Pikey said:

That's it. I still don't understand the benefit yet, in the HMD i'm not seeing the difference. I wonder if the placebo is caused by the DCS repair?

As mentioned I just did a back to back test. Reverted to SteamVR, ran the Apache runway start instant action. Reinstalled OpenXR and did the same mission. The Apache is quite demanding on my system and with SteamVR running I couldn't get 45fps taking off so it stuttered. It didn't look great either. With OpenXR I got 30fps (reprojection running) and it was super smooth and it looked better in terms of image quality (My Reverb G1 is running a higher resolution by default compared with Steam VR) plus the colours look better. The downside was looking through the blades there are some reprojection issues (nothing like the jelly mould issues before the reprojection fix). Overall though it was a much better experience.

Before starting this I thought 30fps would be a disaster but now I am quite happy with it.

Doing all this somehow magically fixed MSFS performance which has always been rubbish with OpenXR. I guess I must have had some legacy issue with my OpenXR install (I had an early developers version which was reporting the latest runtime.) and must have updated something.

40 minutes ago, Sr. said:

sorry Guys, work is meaning im either working or playing at the moment, I havent even tried this mod yet.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

YOUTUBE CHANNEL: @speed-of-heat

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

23 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

As mentioned I just did a back to back test. Reverted to SteamVR, ran the Apache runway start instant action. Reinstalled OpenXR and did the same mission. The Apache is quite demanding on my system and with SteamVR running I couldn't get 45fps taking off so it stuttered. It didn't look great either. With OpenXR I got 30fps (reprojection running) and it was super smooth and it looked better in terms of image quality (My Reverb G1 is running a higher resolution by default compared with Steam VR) plus the colours look better. The downside was looking through the blades there are some reprojection issues (nothing like the jelly mould issues before the reprojection fix). Overall though it was a much better experience.

Before starting this I thought 30fps would be a disaster but now I am quite happy with it.

Doing all this somehow magically fixed MSFS performance which has always been rubbish with OpenXR. I guess I must have had some legacy issue with my OpenXR install (I had an early developers version which was reporting the latest runtime.) and must have updated something.

exactly buddy.  as noted prior in the thread, 30fps is the new 45, with the Toolkit!  Solid and beautiful.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I wonder why framerates get so much worse on my system. Once openXR hits low 20 it doesnt seem want to crawl back up, while steamVR will go happily back up to 45. I dont have the framerates locked in OXR tools.

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

1 hour ago, Pikey said:

I'll check again, but I believe the mirror looks pretty stunning too.

Try starting with your DCS graphics settings using the "VR" tab, then set the Render slider under OXR Tools to 80 then adjust from there.

I have also compared FSR to NIS in the toolkit UI and prefer NIS.

Make sure you're not using the Mixed Reality Portal installed under Steam, in fact I'd uninstall it. I am also using the "Launch" button inside the Radeon Software, though I'm not sure if that matters.

--Arthur C Clark

3 minutes ago, winghunter said:

I wonder why framerates get so much worse on my system. Once openXR hits low 20 it doesnt seem want to crawl back up, while steamVR will go happily back up to 45. I dont have the framerates locked in OXR tools.

On which aircraft did you try it? Because I have the same issue on the apache. All other aircraft are working flawless. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

4 minutes ago, exil said:

On which aircraft did you try it? Because I have the same issue on the apache. All other aircraft are working flawless. 

Tomcat on a busy carrier. I have foveated rendering enabled though, maybe thats the bug. Will try without.

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

9 minutes ago, winghunter said:

I've seen similar as well when reprojection is turned on, I've had it locked down to 30fps even frametimes have been 18ms (55fps). It would be worth raising that one with the devs on discord.