OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

The big loss for me is VRNeckSafer 😞 but.. i will learn to cope again

• Like 2

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

The game changer for me is the ability to down step to 30hz smoothly , so those edge conditions are smoothed out ... now if they would also up step to 60hz that would be awesome.

p.s. Marianas is still a mess for me

After my Marianas flight yesterday evening, I've concluded the thing killing it's performance is the sheer amount of parked cars everywhere.  I'm afraid if they add any more, the island might tip over and capsize. 😉

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

I had gotten pretty happy with how DCS was running on my machine, and was skeptical of trying this OpenXR approach. No way it can make a big improvement over how it was running, or so I thought. Tried it out last night and wow what a difference. Only downside is I'm gonna have to learn to fly without VRK until OpenKneeboard gets OpenXR support added.

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

It works pretty well for jets but rotor blades and shadows causes all sorts of odd stuff to happen.  A bug regarding it has been identified so it's just a waiting game now, I suspect that other MR artifacts may be smoothed out with the same fix 🙂

Any ETA on this bug fix? I haven't been on the discord in a while.

Was able to get rid of some artifacts by removing shadows in the cockpit. But looks kinda boring now 😂 specially when you getting used to the eyecandy.

No ETA, just let the guys get onto it when they can.  Since this has blown up their life has been hell 😄

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

On 3/30/2022 at 3:35 PM, Nightstorm said:

The HUD, even parts of the cockpit edges swim and distort as I fly through clouds for example, or even when taxiing.  I hope that these issues can be worked through.  If so, this will be completely awesome.  I've tried the runtime switch a couple of times as it was described without a change.  It seemed to have no effect on my system.

i have the same effect with MR on. can not play like this. any workaround? 

at this moment i use Automatic wich gives me more stable fps even than MR off(don't know why, as i understood that Automatic have no effect in DCS - but for me it works)

I have found i absolutely don't need MR anymore. For me with svr, mr and msaa we an absolute must. Non negotiable. Now I have a better image and smoother without either on oxr. 

My 6900xt is running very well. My test mission mostly has been apache out of Tel Aviv with high traffic, ultra visibility, low, late sun and broken clouds, shadows low and flat, af x16. So plenty to push the system. 

Oxr res now at 115% and toolkit scaler to 90% with fsr on. Sharpening to 70%. MR off, fps unlocked. 

Even over the city at low level it's steady on 45fps and smooth. There are almost no shimmers or jagged edges at all. It is by far and away the best I have ever experienced dcs, and I've tried a fair few mods! I'm done with my tinkering and adjusting now. This is what I've been looking to achieve for a very long time and it's awesome. Now I just enjoy dcs in all its glory. 

When I moved over to the caucuses and the harrier it was even better with steady 60fps. 

Whether they fix the bug or not with mr will make no difference to me. I will not need it or be using it. 

I totally get why they should fix it though, and we all have different setups that work differently. With svr I wouldn't play without it, so I'm sure there are some still in that boat with oxr depending on hardware. 

Am 17.3.2022 um 11:37 schrieb edmuss:

Not a lot to add to the above apart from: -

Performance on a 3070 isn't massively improved based on like for like settings, admittedly this isn't necessarily comparing apples for apples.  I am currently GPU bound with my steamvr settings (150% FSR 0.75 and high settings), but the improvement in clarity will allow reduction of settings.

Clarity is improved and shimmer is reduced, hard to quantify but essentially I would rougly equate it to having MSAA image quality but whilst retaining the performance of having it off.  Things just look nicer.

Motion smoothing so far doesn't work as well as steam/wmr with much more artifacting, inversely running without motion smoothing has less stutter for a given framerate.  With steamvr and no smoothing anything much less than 55fps is jumpy, in openxr I can get down to 45fps or so before witnessing the same sort of effect.  Obviously the image quality without smoothing is far superior due to no smearing or ghosted edges.  I have yet to test an updated .dll to see if it helps the smoothing situation.

I'll add more as I test and refine 🙂

Thanks guys for your incredible work for us VR users. Cant thank you enough!
Any ideas regarding NVidia settings? Do these effect anything? Or leave them
alone as they are?  What do you tweak inside there?

Cheerz and thanks again 😉

"...dont kill me because i´m calling the F-16 the Fighting Falcon...i´m born in 1977 ;)"

MY SYSTEM: Intel i9 13900KF @ 24x 3,0Ghz | MSI Pro Z690-A DDR5 | NVidia Geforce RTX 4090 | Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64Gb RAM @5200Mhz | Varjo Aero | 2x Samsung 980Pro M.2 NVMe SSD | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | Thrustmaster TPR Rudder | Win10 Pro | DCS Open Beta | Voice Attack
MOTION RIG: DOF Reality H6 with new SFU motors + Witmotion Sensor (Motion Compensation)
CURRENTLY FLYING: F-16C Fighting Falcon | F-14A/B Tomcat | AH-64D Apache

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

The big loss for me is VRNeckSafer 😞 but.. i will learn to cope again

J2_NobiWan on the forum of the *other sim* stated the following;

VRNS depends on SteamVR/OpenVR functions. Unless these are not provided by OpenXR (or OpenComposite) it will not work. However I also find the well documented "OpenXR Toolkit" quit interesting. The appoach shown there might be a way forward... 

So seems like he is not shuting the door completely for NS to work with OpenComposite 🙂

• Like 2

Core i9 12900KF | ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 64GB DDR5 5200MHz | 3 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | MSI MAG 322CQR 32´ | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Throttle | Thrusmaster T-Pendular Rudder | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 11

23 minutes ago, fastf1nger said:

Thanks guys for your incredible work for us VR users. Cant thank you enough!
Any ideas regarding NVidia settings? Do these effect anything? Or leave them
alone as they are?  What do you tweak inside there?

Cheerz and thanks again 😉

My NVCPL is all default apart from prefer maximum performance (which should be a given for DCS) and I'm currently testing out pre-rendered frames 3 to see if it makes it any smoother at lower framerates with reprojection turned off.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

56 minutes ago, Slo-Mo said:

J2_NobiWan on the forum of the *other sim* stated the following;

VRNS depends on SteamVR/OpenVR functions. Unless these are not provided by OpenXR (or OpenComposite) it will not work. However I also find the well documented "OpenXR Toolkit" quit interesting. The appoach shown there might be a way forward... 

So seems like he is not shuting the door completely for NS to work with OpenComposite 🙂

Yea this gave me hope 😍 then I ll only need a working anti-haze shader like reshade 4.9

Win 10 Pro | Trustmaster Warthog | MFG Rudders | VivePro Wireless Gear Lens modded | 1080ti OC Asus | 32 GB DD4 RAM | i7 9700 | Razer Chroma Orbweaver Keypad | Corsair KB | Derek Switchbox | USB Keypad | Logitech 502 | Jetseat with SimShaker Software | TrackIR5 | Autotkey | Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs | Monstertech Mounts | Saitek Throttle Quadrant

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

My NVCPL is all default apart from prefer maximum performance (which should be a given for DCS) and I'm currently testing out pre-rendered frames 3 to see if it makes it any smoother at lower framerates with reprojection turned off.

Been running mine at 3 for some time, seemed to improve my experience.

And I have power management set to prefer max performance for each game listing that I play. No other settings in there matters.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I have always had my pre-rendered frames at 1 I’ll try 3 to see if there’s any difference. Never really thought about that option.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

What OpenXR Toolkit settings are people using in-game?

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

1 hour ago, ColinM9991 said:

v0.6.3 is live on Github(OvGME) and GitLab (source) 

whats new in this 🙂

Flight Rig: Ryzen 7 5800X; 32 Gig DDR4 3600; Focus 1000W; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 TI OC Edition; Corsair 500D Airflow VR: HP Reverb G2

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 3900X; 32 Gig DDR4 3000; Gigabyte 3070 TI OC Edition; Phanteks Eclipse P400

so my initial observations, and the data based evidence isn't really there to fully support my position, because i can't get a good data stream other than the on screen display, but for what it is worth:

- performance, there is not much performance difference overall between SVR and WMR in terms of absolute performance , SVR seems to be marginally quicker, my test for this is pretty basic of watching the same scene in one and then the other and getting 45 in SVR and 30 in WMR, this surprised me, i was expecting WMR to be faster, but i don't believe it is, based on one test type.

- smoother, 30 fps gives a real advantage in edge cases where you frame time will drop outside of the acceptable range for 45 

- motion vector, its simply worse than SVR, there is more "flicker"  in the frames that are being guessed, meaning the guesses are less accurate under WMR.

- it is less steps to install , but the in helmet UI is awkward, no more or less so than other though, personally i prefer a nice text editor.

my conclusion is that it is a really useful mod, if you are falling off the edge of of the 18-19ms practical frame time for your GPU to get into motion smoothing a lot, otherwise its shows a lot of potential but i don't think its ready yet... if you compare it to VRPerfkit v0.3 that said the devs have done good work, in a really short time ... the jury is out...

my 0.2c  

Edited by speed-of-heat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Day 2 of starting to use OpenXR, Im still using MSAA @ 4 and Im not seeing any problems whatsoever. For an upgrade away from steam, this is one I feel like I should have paid for!

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Does anyone encounter the issue of controller being tilted wrong? When I run it through steam - it's correct. I replace it with OpenXR - and the "hands" are tilted in off angle.

I don't see option to correct this in Toolkit.

On top of that, I tested both SteamVR+OpenVR FSR vs OpenXR. Same server, same place. I get on OpenXR 20FPS. On SteamVR+OpenVR FSR -+ 40FPS.  I tried turning on FRS through the toolkit, but I see little gain. 😞

Edited by MadogPL