OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

There is no soft lock if MR is turned off, the fps your seeing on the the counter is what you're getting.

The image is much more stable with MR off (same as consistently beating refresh rate) and because the stuttering is much reduced with OXR it opens up the option to turn MR off altogether if you're comfortable with low fps VR.

I personally don't see any stutter above 55fps or there abouts and it doesn't get distracting for me till 45fps. As I'm generally pulling 65ish fps I have plenty of overhead so turn it off and enjoy the crystal clear image.

edit: that's not to say that I won't use MR if I need to (perhaps this might happen if I get the Apache), however currently the OXR MR needs a little dev work to get it to play nice with rotor shadows.

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Okay so tonight was our flight night and my first time trying OXR in a Multiplayer environment. Flying on Nellis NTTR with a bunch of scripts and pilots flying around I normally get about 40-45 FPS with SteamVR but now I most of the times was getting 9FPS or worse, almost flew into the ground on a downwind turn in an overhead pattern.

So a big stutterfest and my eyes are still hurting and I am still feeling a bit nauseous. For MP flights I think I will have to switch back to SteamVR.

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

Did you have the performance metrics open to see what was happening?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

I played on growing sidewinder's server last night in the 18 and showed no difference then flying in single player.

Edited by Ghostman

Flight Rig: Ryzen 7 5800X; 32 Gig DDR4 3600; Focus 1000W; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 TI OC Edition; Corsair 500D Airflow VR: HP Reverb G2

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 3900X; 32 Gig DDR4 3000; Gigabyte 3070 TI OC Edition; Phanteks Eclipse P400

20 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Did you have the performance metrics open to see what was happening?

The only thing open was the FPS counter within DCS.

This afternoon I tried out OXR on our MP server and without others flying it was giving me either 30 or 45 FPS. Tonight I only got 30 when 5NM out of the Airfield, but as soon as we were approaching and I was visual of the airfield it crapped out on me. I think too much going on. I on the fly tried lowering the trees and objects and drawing distance and even adjusted the foveated setting to narrow within the OXR ingame menu. But did not help. 

What I tried to do and maybe helped (or not) was switching R-Alt-ENTER to full screen and back. It froze my screen for a couple of seconds during the switching (which is a pretty dumb thing to do) but sometimes seemed to help, but then quickly went back to mud. 

What would be a good way to troubleshoot this? I really don't want to go back to SVR.

Worst flight ever. You can see it deteriorating when we approach the airfield. 

Edited by Ready

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

14 minutes ago, Ghostman said:

I played on growing sidewinder's server last night in the 18 and showed no difference in flying in single player.

That's so weird. I am with a 3080 in a G2 and normally have pretty decent visuals and performance. We maybe also have to do some troubleshooting of the CPU load with what's going on on our server.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

In my Aero it does not have Motion Compensation support currently , and I find flying even around 45 fps to be pretty darn smooth considering. Usually I am up around 60 fps. This is at 100% render resolution and Varjo Base on default High setting. Going to be interesting when I do try the Open XR Mod with DCS how smooth it is at these same frame rates.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

24 minutes ago, Ready said:

The only thing open was the FPS counter within DCS.

I'd say try to repeat it but with the OXRDT metrics showing, that way you can at least keep track of what's causing the lag. The DCS counter will show you nothing unfortunately 😞

I would suspect that something had nailed your CPU times which will it turn drag down your fps. It may even be that the same would have happened if you were in SVR?

I'm not 100% sure on the interactions between server and client in mp so can't really help on that side, but it's got to be a significant issue to drop to 9fps and I'd rather suspect that OXR probably wasn't the cause.

See if it's repeatable in OXR, if so see if it's repeatable in SVR, then you can start investigating the cause and the fix 🙂

Am 31.3.2022 um 16:51 schrieb TED:

I have found i absolutely don't need MR anymore. For me with svr, mr and msaa we an absolute must. Non negotiable. Now I have a better image and smoother without either on oxr. 

My 6900xt is running very well. My test mission mostly has been apache out of Tel Aviv with high traffic, ultra visibility, low, late sun and broken clouds, shadows low and flat, af x16. So plenty to push the system. 

Oxr res now at 115% and toolkit scaler to 90% with fsr on. Sharpening to 70%. MR off, fps unlocked. 

Even over the city at low level it's steady on 45fps and smooth. There are almost no shimmers or jagged edges at all. It is by far and away the best I have ever experienced dcs, and I've tried a fair few mods! I'm done with my tinkering and adjusting now. This is what I've been looking to achieve for a very long time and it's awesome. Now I just enjoy dcs in all its glory. 

When I moved over to the caucuses and the harrier it was even better with steady 60fps. 

Whether they fix the bug or not with mr will make no difference to me. I will not need it or be using it. 

I totally get why they should fix it though, and we all have different setups that work differently. With svr I wouldn't play without it, so I'm sure there are some still in that boat with oxr depending on hardware. 

Hey TED, 

running a 5800X and a 6900XT and have used your setup within the last 2 hours. I can confirm that this is the game-changer I was waiting for.

I do fly helicopters only and get arround 60-65 fps over lager villages and cities, 70-75 fps outside settlements at caucasus, however, I found out that be using the Radeon Chill, both set to 45 fps, is smoothing even the micro slight stutters when looking 90 degree left or right over settlements. To me this is the best setup so far. Not sure how Radeon Chill is working out for fixed wing.

If you have further findings please share.

UZI

Edited by Uzigunner

5800X3D // RTX 4090 // 64GB DDR4 CL18 RAM // MSI B550 Mortar // Reverb G2 // Warthog HOTAS // MFG Crosswind

46 minutes ago, edmuss said:

I'd say try to repeat it but with the OXRDT metrics showing, that way you can at least keep track of what's causing the lag. The DCS counter will show you nothing unfortunately 😞

I would suspect that something had nailed your CPU times which will it turn drag down your fps. It may even be that the same would have happened if you were in SVR?

I'm not 100% sure on the interactions between server and client in mp so can't really help on that side, but it's got to be a significant issue to drop to 9fps and I'd rather suspect that OXR probably wasn't the cause.

See if it's repeatable in OXR, if so see if it's repeatable in SVR, then you can start investigating the cause and the fix 🙂

With metrics you mean the 'Display frame timing overlay'? Will follow your steps. Makes sense. Thank you

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

That's correct, the appCPU/appGPU are your main ones to look at but there is postCPU/postGPU aswell which is generally concerned with reprojection overhead amongst other things.

If your appCPU goes higher than your appGPU then you're getting cpu bound, this could just be that something (like a script for example) is looping on the CPU when it shouldn't be, as such your GPU is having to wait for your CPU to finish - if it is stuck in a loop and your CPU never finishes your framerate is going to take a massive dive 😞

edit: @Ready just had a thought, were you streaming that to youtube?  Were you using the OBS plugins?  I have no idea about what they do (other than linked to streaming the OXR feed) or even if you were using them but I have read reports of them causing issues and still needing some work on them.

Edited by edmuss

On 3/30/2022 at 10:44 AM, winghunter said:

After getting better performance with openXR, I am once again back to square one. Performance tanked for some unknown reason, i didnt change any settings.

I was flying the F15 standard / default mission attached. It still has the old cloud setting but i dont think this should make the difference. For some reason openXR is having terrible performance at times. I fixed this previously, or i thought i fixed it by reinstalling openXR dev tools.

Switching back to SteamVR everything is butter smooth in this mission. Can someone else confirm ?

F-15C - Caucasus - Clean Sweep.miz 878.32 kB · 1 downloado

I have found the source of the framrate dips. Its due to "MR always on" in OXR dev tools. Without it, the mission runs relatively smooth. But when enabled, the framerate gets under a certain threshold in the beginning and doesnt recover.

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

18 minutes ago, edmuss said:

That's correct, the appCPU/appGPU are your main ones to look at but there is postCPU/postGPU aswell which is generally concerned with reprojection overhead amongst other things.

If your appCPU goes higher than your appGPU then you're getting cpu bound, this could just be that something (like a script for example) is looping on the CPU when it shouldn't be, as such your GPU is having to wait for your CPU to finish - if it is stuck in a loop and your CPU never finishes your framerate is going to take a massive dive 😞

edit: @Ready just had a thought, were you streaming that to youtube?  Were you using the OBS plugins?  I have no idea about what they do (other than linked to streaming the OXR feed) or even if you were using them but I have read reports of them causing issues and still needing some work on them.

I was not streaming, but I was recording. You advised me before to reach out to the devs about OBS, which I did. I have it working, but only when I have upscaling switched off. CPU/GPU is not taking much of a hit when recording.

• Like 1

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

8 minutes ago, winghunter said:

I have found the source of the framrate dips. Its due to "MR always on" in OXR dev tools. Without it, the mission runs relatively smooth. But when enabled, the framerate gets under a certain threshold in the beginning and doesnt recover.

I've seen similar but not investigated, replicated or identified a cause yet.  Think I'm going to have to do some testing with MR enabled 🙂

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, edmuss said:

So I switch it on and all I get is this color changing box with unreadable text just out of my field of clear view, high up on my left eye only. Any way of adjusting the position/size that you know? 

image.png

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

59 minutes ago, winghunter said:

Its due to "MR always on" in OXR dev tools. Without it, the mission runs relatively smooth.

How some of you can fly without MR is beyond me. I turned it off but stuttering and ghosting were unbearable, even with fps in range 60-70. I wanted to puke after a minute and I've been flying in VR since 2016. Thankfully only Apache is affected by MR artefacts, Hind and warbirds look fine.

Edited by Marklar
  • Like 2

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

Do any of you know how to fix warped FOV. When I move my head everything warps unnaturally. I tried to change the fov setting through the toolkit menu but it’s not really helping. This is on the quest 2. Thanks!

I've recently started using this and am so far really impressed but found the colours completely washed out at the begining until i dug a little deaper and found the "Appearance Tab" changed Saturation from Global to Selective and changed the individual colour settings.

Here's whats working for me at the moment.

MSFS_openXR_toolkit - Performance.JPGOpenXR_Toolkit_settings - appearance.JPG

90fps in Nevada with the Harrier at 10k and 55/60 over the strip at low level.

Now i just need to get the OBS plugin to work...

• Like 2

wheelie

Windows10, RTX4090 OC, i9-9900k @ 5ghz all cores, 64gb DDR3600 ram, M.2 boot drive and crucial SSD's, M.2 for DCS.
VR user Varjo Aero, Virpil Throttle and Base with Thrustmaster sticks.

26 minutes ago, Marklar said:

How some of you can fly without MR is beyond me. I turned it off but stuttering and ghosting were unbearable, even with fps in range 60-70. I wanted to puke after a minute and I've been flying in VR since 2016. Thankfully only Apache is affected by MR artefacts, Hind and warbirds look fine.

I also dont get seasick or airsick, even in very stormy weather

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

This above is the kind of stuff that really makes me leery going down the Mod route. I just don't want to spend so much time adjusting/tweaking to get a Mod to work that may or may not be of benefit to me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 minutes ago, dburne said:

This above is the kind of stuff that really makes me leery going down the Mod route. I just don't want to spend so much time adjusting/tweaking to get a Mod to work that may or may not be of benefit to me.

Indeed and I can appreciate that also mate, I just made a copy of the "bin" folder and stuck it on another drive, did my testing and when i want to use steamVR i copy the bin folder back.

• Like 1

wheelie

Windows10, RTX4090 OC, i9-9900k @ 5ghz all cores, 64gb DDR3600 ram, M.2 boot drive and crucial SSD's, M.2 for DCS.
VR user Varjo Aero, Virpil Throttle and Base with Thrustmaster sticks.

4 minutes ago, wheelie said:

Indeed and I can appreciate that also mate, I just made a copy of the "bin" folder and stuck it on another drive, did my testing and when i want to use steamVR i copy the bin folder back.

Good idea thanks.

• Like 1

Don B

32 minutes ago, dburne said:

took me 5 minutes; 5 minutes i can get back btw.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins