OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

38 minutes ago, lima_r said:

Hello

Very good topic

works fine with my VR HP G2 and RTX3080ti, same FPS but sharper and smoother images !!

Only one problem, voice attack doesn't work with DCS Openxr, works with DCS STeamvr mode...

I don't understant why...

Can you help me ?

Works for me. You might try Alt tabbing out after DCS starts then restart Vaicom and/or Voice Attack.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 minute ago, winghunter said:

can you give some framerate comparison ? i will try

I have the same claim here...there hasnt been any difference between 2x and 4x. Only thing stopping me from running maxed out now is clouds...

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Just now, winghunter said:

can you give some framerate comparison ? i will try

I don't use a framecounter, it's just based on my experience in game.

When I use OpenXR and 4x MSAA the performance feels just as smooth as when I set it to 2x which wasn't the case in SteamVR at all.

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

2 minutes ago, lax22 said:

Just tried OpenXR in DCS for the first time and it really is a massive improvement compared to SteamVR.

What I find the most astonishing is that MSAA 4x vs 2x doesn't really seem to make a substantial performance difference with OpenXR while massively improving the quality of the picture.

MSAA 4x in Steam VR would absolutely butcher performance which is why I never used it.

However, one thing I'm missing compared to SteamVR is the ability to use Reshade which improved the colors significantly.

I know Reshade doesn't work with OpenXR but is there any other method that does something similar which can be used with OpenXR?

There's color, brightness and contrast adjustments in the OXR GUI.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

Well remembering the old saying "pigs get fed and hogs get slaughtered", I've done more adjusting on my setup. I had been pushing 100% in the OXR (thinking, if a little is good then a lot MUST be better) Tools slider and had a pretty good experience, visual clarity and chop... playable.

So I started slow moving down 10% at a time and compared. I am now at 70% haven't really lost much as far as cockpit readability, but it is a pretty significant improvement on cleaning up the chop. I still get a slight bit if I'm banking hard enough, but way less ghosting but I've lost the panning the instruments stutter from before.

I also have Radeon Chill enabled and have both fps sliders at 60...I know, I figure 45 would be the magic number but, 60 is working for me.

I also tried Chill off, and MR always on, and it looks great and all but I still get a little jelly vision from the Apache rotor, and it's really not necessary to use now.

Gonna stay with what I have for now and do some actual flying... I could beat this horse to death tweaking, but I'm gonna go with it for now. 

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

My verdict (i7-8700k, 1080ti, 32Gb RAM):

Definitely better clarity, but no true performance improvement, in fact it is a bit more "clunky", and I do get occasional freezes with black screen (even with that parameter whatchamacallit on false, but a lot less). GPU MEM always pegged at 11Gb! Tried with and without SIMPLEX, no visible change.

Too bad 😞

33 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Well remembering the old saying "pigs get fed and hogs get slaughtered", I've done more adjusting on my setup. I had been pushing 100% in the OXR (thinking, if a little is good then a lot MUST be better) Tools slider and had a pretty good experience, visual clarity and chop... playable.

So I started slow moving down 10% at a time and compared. I am now at 70% haven't really lost much as far as cockpit readability, but it is a pretty significant improvement on cleaning up the chop. I still get a slight bit if I'm banking hard enough, but way less ghosting but I've lost the panning the instruments stutter from before.

I also have Radeon Chill enabled and have both fps sliders at 60...I know, I figure 45 would be the magic number but, 60 is working for me.

I also tried Chill off, and MR always on, and it looks great and all but I still get a little jelly vision from the Apache rotor, and it's really not necessary to use now.

Gonna stay with what I have for now and do some actual flying... I could beat this horse to death tweaking, but I'm gonna go with it for now. 

I've gone the other way at 130%. I'll settle for an acceptable 30fps MR on the ground with 45 being the new 90 in the air. Clarity is best I've seen in DCS.

For the type of mission our squadron runs this could just work. 

Asus Z790 PLUS WIFI D4, 13700K RTX 4090 FE, M2. HP Reverb G2.

46 minutes ago, lax22 said:

I don't use a framecounter, it's just based on my experience in game.

When I use OpenXR and 4x MSAA the performance feels just as smooth as when I set it to 2x which wasn't the case in SteamVR at all.

That may be because you are over the MR target.

For me, enabling MSAA 4x versus 2x will drop to 25 from 30+ (limited by MR), so it costs me upwards of 16% performance.

It may be that MSAA runs on a separate core and your graphics cards are simply strong enough. But for my 3070 2x MSAA is the most i can do. And the visual difference to 4x is negligible.

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

2 hours ago, lax22 said:

Just tried OpenXR in DCS for the first time and it really is a massive improvement compared to SteamVR.

What I find the most astonishing is that MSAA 4x vs 2x doesn't really seem to make a substantial performance difference with OpenXR while massively improving the quality of the picture.

MSAA 4x in Steam VR would absolutely butcher performance which is why I never used it.

However, one thing I'm missing compared to SteamVR is the ability to use Reshade which improved the colors significantly.

I know Reshade doesn't work with OpenXR but is there any other method that does something similar which can be used with OpenXR?

I am definitely going to have to give Open XR a try. I run MSAA x2 and would not mind being able to run at x4. I currently run no Mods as that is what I always preferred. I have always been happy with the performance I get in MSFS 2020 which supports Open XR natively.

What I don't want to do is get hung up on running Mods in DCS, but I will give this one a try.

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 minutes ago, dburne said:

I am definitely going to have to give Open XR a try. I run MSAA x2 and would not mind being able to run at x4. I currently run no Mods as that is what I always preferred. I have always been happy with the performance I get in MSFS 2020 which supports Open XR natively.

What I don't want to do is get hung up on running Mods in DCS, but I will give this one a try.

I'm really looking forward to your "experiment" buddy.  Honest!  I'm sure it'll go well (fingers crossed).  :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

1 minute ago, javelina1 said:

I'm really looking forward to your "experiment" buddy.  Honest!  I'm sure it'll go well (fingers crossed).  🙂

Thanks me too! Probably going to be tomorrow or Monday before I give this a try. Did a couple of hours without the Mod yet this morning playing in the Apache and Hornet but went back to bed for a while, seem to be getting a head cold or something. Not feeling too swift today.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Hi All,

running on 5800X and 6900XT.

I can recommend 100% in open XR, MR off, Radeon Chill 45/45 min/max. I´ve just done some Chopper-SAR on the server, absoltly no jittering and stable 45 fps even with other players arround. 

Here are my current ingame settings. Sorry for german language but i guess you know what it is (hoch=high, mittel=medium, niedrig=low)

Unbenannt.JPG

I first had 115% and FSR 90%, then i found out that 100% + MSAA 2x gives me better results. I went into MP server and had stutters when looking 9 and 3 oclock so i discable the MSAA and now even in MP everything is smooth. There is also hardly no difference between MSAA 2x and none. Need to try if this setup can also handle ultra clouds, but so far I am really happy with this now.

Hope this helps.

UZI

• Like 1

5800X3D // RTX 4090 // 64GB DDR4 CL18 RAM // MSI B550 Mortar // Reverb G2 // Warthog HOTAS // MFG Crosswind

@speed-of-heat For reference, this is Jabbah's video showing the differences between the WMR4SVR and OXR reprojection artifacts.  In other words he can now replicate it and has narrowed it down to the OXR code, all being well this should be good in a future release 🙂

If you go into the developer settings on OXRDT and tick the jiggle view rotations box, then launch DCS it should go absolutely mental, it's not meant to 😄

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Hi Niko, 

I followed your steps, but when I double click DCS icon, it runs as 2D mode instead of VR mode, can you elaborate how to run it in VR mode after get everything done? Thanks again

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

15 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Hi Niko, 

I followed your steps, but when I double click DCS icon, it runs as 2D mode instead of VR mode, can you elaborate how to run it in VR mode after get everything done? Thanks again

I was having same problem. So I went to the folder and clicked on the game's exe and it loaded in SteamVR even though I have that turned off in WMRP settings. 

How do we get DCS to launch using OpenXR? 

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

Every Day, Someone Uses Cute Krispy Snacks

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

33 minutes ago, Jenson said:

Hi Niko, 

Solution is to do a repair first. Follow the guide. Do a repair again. Then copy the files back into the bin folder yet again. Now it works for me. 

F-14B, A-10C,F-18C Lot 20, F-16C, UH-1H, SA342, Spitfire LF Mk IX, F-15C, Mig-29, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf

i9 9900k 5.0GHz, 32GB RAM, 1080Ti, Rift S, Warthog HOTAS, MFG Crosswind pedals, Dual Monitors 4K & 1080

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is IHADS still bugged?

I just did a repair install and still a no go. Can't even do it in SteamVR version.

I know I've done it successfully at least twice.

and yes, I'm avoiding the VR recenter

Got it...have to make sure t turn up Primary lighting brightness.

Edited by Sr.

--Arthur C Clark

FSR does not appear to be working. Is there something else to install for that to work? I've previously used the FSR mod and so I am familiar with how it looks in game. 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

9 minutes ago, RaTzo said:

FSR does not appear to be working. Is there something else to install for that to work? I've previously used the FSR mod and so I am familiar with how it looks in game. 

Bruh! Seriously?

----------------

Anyway

If you are using the EVGA Precision X1 software make sure to NOT upgrade to the 3/28 version. This is causing issues with OpenXR Toolkit. If you already installed it, you can delete the following file to solve the problem: C:\Windows\System32\FW1FontWrapper.dll.
If the EVGA software is set to auto update make sure to disable that too

Edited by nikoel
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Jenson said:

Hi Niko, 

Make sure that Use VR Headset tick box is enabled inside the DCS Settings

Quick question - during a flight I had today, something weird happened. I was setting up my apache for flight when all the sudden a big round window appeared in my FOV...looked like the NVGs deployed, but it was the cameras that are on the external of my Reverb G2...the black and white cameras on the outside that are used to detect movement. For some reason or other, this RANDOMLY popped up and I had to restart WMR to get rid of it. I mean literally I was in the middle of clicking some switches -NOT touching the keyboard or ANYTHING like that - just using the mouse to toggle a rocker switch in cockpit. The camera sensors on my headset just randomly turned on! Never seen that happen before.

Any ideas? Ive never had seen this before except once when I was using a Rift S -and only then was setting it up for first time use. Only thing I can think of is that there was a hiccup somewhere in DCS, and this mod is relatively brand spanking new on my system and I dont believe in coincidences.

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I had mine do that once forgot it was listening and said something close to flashlight 

Flight Rig: Ryzen 7 5800X; 32 Gig DDR4 3600; Focus 1000W; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 TI OC Edition; Corsair 500D Airflow VR: HP Reverb G2

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 3900X; 32 Gig DDR4 3000; Gigabyte 3070 TI OC Edition; Phanteks Eclipse P400

not using voice commands until they implement george in a way where he isnt a thumb sucking neanderthal and vaicom updates

• Like 1

My wallpaper and skins

8 minutes ago, Ghostman said:

I had mine do that once forgot it was listening and said something close to flashlight 

Yeah this! The voice commands are a windows mixed reality for HP Reverb feature. Nothing to do with DCS. You can turn off this feature by disabling voice commands inside WMR. Can't recall which buttons to press, but if you google or just start flipping through various audio/mic tabs you will eventually find it. Just be careful going nuclear on these options otherwise you will find that your mic will be completely turned off

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flashlight-torch-effect-with-wms-and-hp-reverb-g2/359693

Edited by nikoel

5 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Yeah this! The voice commands are a windows mixed reality for HP Reverb feature. Nothing to do with DCS. You can turn off this feature by disabling voice commands inside WMR. Can't recall which buttons to press, but if you google or just start flipping through various audio/mic tabs you will eventually find it. Just be careful going nuclear on these options otherwise you will find that your mic will be completely turned off

https://forums.flightsimulator.com/t/flashlight-torch-effect-with-wms-and-hp-reverb-g2/359693

Thats weird because I have speech recognition turned off. Also mentions something about the controllers; the only time Ive used the controllers in the last 5-6 months was just the other day when I installed this mod...and only then just to change the settings while in VR to double check they were at recommended settings according to this guide. Of course though, something like that probably occurred...been having mad issues with George being a lazy fktrd in the front seat and its frustrating me to no end. 

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins