OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

6 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Thats weird because I have speech recognition turned off.

I see. Sorry nothing much else I can add, however I can be as certain as one could possibly be when I say it's everything to do with the headset and windows mixed reality portal and nothing with DCS and whatever else you're running. In fact the torch doesn't even have an API and is completely inaccessible unless launched manually via WMR. I know this because I wanted the pass-through when I was still learning my winwing panel switch layout and couldn't quite get them by touch

Unless it happens again I wouldn't worry about it. You'll be chasing ghosts and rainbows 

Edited by nikoel
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, edmuss said:

@speed-of-heat For reference, this is Jabbah's video showing the differences between the WMR4SVR and OXR reprojection artifacts.  In other words he can now replicate it and has narrowed it down to the OXR code, all being well this should be good in the next release 🙂

If you go into the developer settings on OXRDT and tick the jiggle view rotations box, then launch DCS it should go absolutely mental, it's not meant to 😄

Excellent so I'm not going mad, just a bug.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

3 hours ago, nikoel said:

If you are using the EVGA Precision X1 software make sure to NOT upgrade to the 3/28 version. This is causing issues with OpenXR Toolkit. If you already installed it, you can delete the following file to solve the problem: C:\Windows\System32\FW1FontWrapper.dll.
If the EVGA software is set to auto update make sure to disable that too

THANK YOU!

I thought I was going nuts today trying to get the Toolkit to run but kept getting error messages 🤬

Deleting the dll file fixed the issue and the tool now runs without any issues 👍🏻

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

Excellent so I'm not going mad, just a bug.

Nope, I brought it to the attention of jabbah early in the week but he wasn't aware of the jelly eels because he hadn't been able to reproduce it, I think he'd only tested in the frog foot which would give a more stable image anyway. Fingers crossed 🙂

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

So, I recently I did not fly DCS at all, but when I saw this thread I had to try it. 

Im running OpenBeta with TrackIR and for testing purposes Stable with VR (G2).

For me going to OpenXR the difference is massiv. Almost all of the shimmering inside the cockpit and much of the ouside has gone. And the shimmering was the worst thing, that put me off going to VR. 

Clarity is also greatly improved for me.

Performance seems to be a bit better, but not much. It seems now my GPU (AMD 6700XT) seems to get utiziled at close to 100%, while in SteamVR I often had "drops" to 20% and fps-drops to 30 or below, even I had constant 15ms GPU-frametimes, even lower CPU-frametimes and GPUMem with only filled up to 80%.

Flying felt ok, but the MR (in SteamVR-mode via WMRforSteam-settings) felt smoother (when at 45fps). I tried MR, but that hat the mentioned artifacts and fps went down also.

With my lowish settings (50% rendering but 4x MSAA) I managed to get around 50fps, often 60fps. In 60Hz-mode it was the smoothest experience in VR that I had in DCS up to now. But since the 60Hz-mode gives me a headache and nausia, this is not practical for me.

So my conclusion for this first test would be, if I had a 6900XT Id probably change to VR right away. But since I dont want to buy another GPU, especially so close to the release of the next generation (RDNA3 is supposed to more than dobule 6900XT perf), Ill still have to wait. But things regardling VR in DCS look much brigher for me right now, than they did before my OpenXR-test.  

On 4/2/2022 at 2:13 AM, wheelie said:

I've recently started using this and am so far really impressed but found the colours completely washed out at the begining until i dug a little deaper and found the "Appearance Tab" changed Saturation from Global to Selective and changed the individual colour settings.

Here's whats working for me at the moment.

MSFS_openXR_toolkit - Performance.JPGOpenXR_Toolkit_settings - appearance.JPG

90fps in Nevada with the Harrier at 10k and 55/60 over the strip at low level.

Now i just need to get the OBS plugin to work...

@wheelieGood tip to play with Appearance tab. I used your saturation settings in a Quest2 and yes I saw a nice difference in colors (more vivid).  

I don’t use anything else from OpenXR toolkit 

Edited by diamond26

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11

OpenXR Toolkit just got an update to 1.05

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

6 hours ago, nikoel said:

Make sure that Use VR Headset tick box is enabled inside the DCS Settings

Yes, it turned out I was an idiot who didn't check "Use VR Headset" in the VR settings (because with steamVR or oculusVR option this checkbox isn't applicable) 

Anyway, it works now, and I've added DCS app as a big screen in my WMR virtual room. I'll start to try the openxr toolkit. Thanks so much again. 

• PC Specs: Intel i7 9700, Nvidia RTX 2080S, Corsair 64G DDR4, MSI B360M Mortar Titanium, Intel 760P M.2 256GB SSD + Samsung 1TB SSD, Corsair RM650x
  • Flight Gears: Logitech X56 HOTAS & Flight Rudder Pedals, HP Reverb G2
  • Modules: F-14A/B, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AV-8B, A-10C I/II, Supercarrier, Nevada, Persian Gulf, Syria

Project: Operation Hormuz [F/A-18C Multiplayer Campaign]

1 hour ago, speed-of-heat said:

"Unlock Motion Reprojection when exiting."

Maybe this caused the framerate dips, when repeatedly starting and exiting DCS. I will try

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

Hi All. I've just started using OXR for Reverb G2 instead of SVR. 

I can certainly see an improvement in visual clarity and overall performance. However, even with my average FPS at around 50-60 the motion has stutters, which are jarring to say the least. I'm not keen on using the OXR Motion Reprojection in its current iteration as the artefacts it generates kind of undo the visual benefits of using OXR in the first place. Of course, without MR in SVR there are stutters, but I don't mind using MR in SVR because it causes very little in the way of artefacts, in my case anyway.

My technical understanding of how VR works is a bit limited but am I right in assuming that the stuttering is caused by timing mismatches, as the headset wants to run at either 90fps or 45fps, so anything other than that will cause a stutter to occur? If that's the case, then wouldn't limiting the FPS output to say 45fps cure the stuttering, in much the same way that VSync does with display panels? If so, is there a way of achieving this? There's no option to do this in the OXR Toolkit or OXR Developer tools, and limiting it through the Nvidia control panel has no effect.

I love what OXR has already achieved and the potential it promises, but the stuttering is kinda making me gravitate back towards SVR for now.

What's the general consensus?

CPU: Intel i9 13900KS @5.8GHz | MB: ROG Strix Z790 Gaming-E | GPU: Asus ROG Strix RTX3090 OC | RAM: 32Gb Corsair Dominator DDR5 @6200MHz | Cooling: Custom CPU/GPU cooling loop | PSU: Supernova 850G2 @ 850W | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64Bit
Storage: 3x Samsung EVO 970 Plus M.2 1Tb + 3x Samsung 850 EVO SSD 250Gb | Input: TM HOTAS WH Saitek Combat Pedals | Output: Samsung 50" OLED TV | VR: HP Reverb G2 | Audio: Realtek + Z906 5.1 Surround Sound Speaker System

2 minutes ago, Chief Instructor said:

I love what OXR has already achieved and the potential it promises, but the stuttering is kinda making me gravitate back towards SVR for now.

What's the general consensus?

The next version is supposed to fix OXR reprojection artifacts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Chief Instructor said:

My technical understanding of how VR works is a bit limited but am I right in assuming that the stuttering is caused by timing mismatches, as the headset wants to run at either 90fps or 45fps, so anything other than that will cause a stutter to occur? If that's the case, then wouldn't limiting the FPS output to say 45fps cure the stuttering

Solves one problem, causes another.  

If you are mainly interested in high-performance TV's, you would use the term "judder" to describe a mismatch between FPS of the source material and monitor refresh rate.  Locking FPS to some multiple of refresh rate solves that problem.

If you're mainly interested in cinematography, you would use the term "judder" to refer to the stroboscopic effect that comes from panning a camera that's operating at an absurdly low FPS (usually 24fps in movies).   In DCS, locking FPS at... well, anything can result in that kind of judder, which is most obvious looking out your 3-9 line, especially at high speed, low to the ground.  You notice it at any altitude when doing a barrel roll.  

Motion reprojection gets rid of both -- it locks your FPS at some multiple of refresh rate, and uses synthetic frames to boost you up to 90hz or whatever.  Only question is, can you stand the artifacts.

Thus, three options

• Motion reprojection
  • Fixed frame rate and live with one kind of judder (ie doing barrel rolls)
  • Floating frame rate and live with the other kind of judder (in which your HMD runs like a Harley,  basically)

You just gotta figure out which one drives you the least bonkers

The deal with OXR is, we think the interface between WMR and SVR is introducing a lot of stuttering.  Where I would define "stutter" as "dropped frames."  How well it works seems to depend; as one poster observed, may depend a lot on what GPU you're running.   

The 2080 is an interesting beast.   At least one observer suggested it doesn't handle textures very well in DCS; so in other words, if you can back off on textures a bit you may be able to unlock a lot of performance.

ETA: If you can consistently hold 60fps a) well done!  and b) might consider setting your G2 to 60Hz.  If you can stand the flickering

Edited by DeltaMike

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Any ideas why my frame rate won’t go higher than 45fps?  I’ve got it unlocked in the tool kit and MR set to off.  Been like it for a while now.  

Everything is running great so not massively bothered, but would be useful to see what fps I’m actually able to run for testing purposes. 

i9 12900KS  |  3090ti 24GB  |  64GB 5200Mhz DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum

GS-4 Seat  |  NLM V3  |  VPC MongoosT-50M2 Base  |  Warthog Throttle + stick  |  MFG Crosswind  |  Reverb G1

Whats the procedure to update the OXR to the version just released today please? 

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

1 minute ago, markturner1960 said:

Whats the procedure to update the OXR to the version just released today please? 

Double click

Click next a couple of times

Click Finish

(It's openXR Toolkit that was updated - Not OpenXR itself)

Edited by nikoel

16 minutes ago, pierscockey said:

Any ideas why my frame rate won’t go higher than 45fps?  I’ve got it unlocked in the tool kit and MR set to off.  Been like it for a while now.  

Everything is running great so not massively bothered, but would be useful to see what fps I’m actually able to run for testing purposes. 

No friggin idea, but we are the lucky ones. I lost this "feature bug" when I was trying to recreate some of the issues that people were having to come up with solutions

Today I got it back and I aint touchin' nothing! The apache is amazeballs like that

12 minutes ago, nikoel said:

No friggin idea, but we are the lucky ones. I lost this "feature bug" when I was trying to recreate some of the issues that people were having to come up with solutions

Today I got it back and I aint touchin' nothing! The apache is amazeballs like that

Ha, yeah I should really just be satisfied and forget about it.   Hard not to tinker though! 

i9 12900KS  |  3090ti 24GB  |  64GB 5200Mhz DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum

GS-4 Seat  |  NLM V3  |  VPC MongoosT-50M2 Base  |  Warthog Throttle + stick  |  MFG Crosswind  |  Reverb G1

3 hours ago, winghunter said:

"Unlock Motion Reprojection when exiting."

Maybe this caused the framerate dips, when repeatedly starting and exiting DCS. I will try

Nope, updated tools to 1.0.5. Still get performance tanks after some missions, while restarting DCS several times.

hi, i need some help.

i follow the steps and start dcs and test in mp and wow, 55-60fps 💪

After that i restart the dcs and now it always start steam vr (i uncheck the box in WMR settings).

after that i uninstall the SteamVR and it starts only in 2d.

anyone can help? i wont 60 fps again... 🙏 

Intel 11900K, 64GB 3600 Mhz G-Skill, Nvidia 3080, Virpil WarBRD, Virpil Constellation ALPHA, Virpil MT- 50CM3, Logitech/Saitek Flight switch panel, Logitech Rudder

7 minutes ago, KONGMAN said:

hi, i need some help.

i follow the steps and start dcs and test in mp and wow, 55-60fps 💪

After that i restart the dcs and now it always start steam vr (i uncheck the box in WMR settings).

after that i uninstall the SteamVR and it starts only in 2d.

anyone can help? i wont 60 fps again... 🙏 

did DCS update when you restarted it? If so you would need to copy the files into the bin folder again

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

5 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

it appears some EVGA software broke something (for those particular users in M$F$).

Via the toolkit developer:

Changes in Hotfix 4

• Fix issue caused by EVGA software.
  • Introduce Pimax culling workaround (“WFOV Hack”) for Flight Simulator 2020.
  • Add override for each field of view angles independently.
  • Unlock Motion Reprojection when exiting.

Edited by javelina1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

32 minutes ago, Baldrick33 said:

did DCS update when you restarted it? If so you would need to copy the files into the bin folder again

i did it and now it starts dcs without steamvr but dcs turn black screen and dont get any picture in vr

Intel 11900K, 64GB 3600 Mhz G-Skill, Nvidia 3080, Virpil WarBRD, Virpil Constellation ALPHA, Virpil MT- 50CM3, Logitech/Saitek Flight switch panel, Logitech Rudder

Make sure youhave pressed the centre button