OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

5 minutes ago, dburne said:

With my Aero I am finding with running the default HI setting for VB and set vysnc to on in VB, it does a good job locking my fps to 45 and a very smooth experience. Don't know how much Open XR is helping that but I will take it for sure. I tried enabling the default Fixed Foveated Rendering with the Open XR Toolkit and it introduced some ugly shimmering for me so I disabled it.

To be fair, if you've got a good stable image and no spikes then it's a good place to start turning settings up in DCS.

The toolkit performance uplift tools do so at a loss to image quality, many prefer to run without them as they somewhat sully the image quality provided by OXR.

What frametimes are you getting? I'm presuming that the VB vsync is working a little like reprojection. Enable the performance metrics from the OpenXR developer tools and look at the appGPU and postGPU readings.

Also what resolution is OpenXR running at? Unless you've set a custom resolution it will calculate a recommended based on your 24gb VRAM, the second tab in the developer tools will display the actual resolution that you're rendering at.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I really want to give this a try but I get stuck right at the beginning.  I can not clean or repair DCS World.  Is this because I bought the game on Steam?  When i try to repair using that Skatezilla program, it says the updater is corrupt.  So I downloaded an updater directly from ed and that one doesn't work either, it says it "can't exactly find the install folder" and when I confirm it is correct it doesn't do anything, then the Repair option never becomes available.

Am I supposed to go into steam and "Verify integrity of game files" instead of repair/clean?  If not, do I really have to re-install nearly 200 gigs just to test this mod?  Why can't it just have an install script like normal programs?

Does this forum have a search function that works on a per thread basis?  This thread is already 40+ pages deep and I'd like to search for "Can not clean"

Edited by falken76
Correct spelling errors

I think the steam verify files will repair it and remove any modified files but I don't think it will remove any extra files.

Have you tried saving the ED update/clean/repair batch files (from the DCS FAQs page) to the DCS folder and running them?

edit: the batch files are here: -

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/support/faq/repair/

Edited by edmuss

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Ok! Just spent a few hours trimming this with OpenXR. At first, it was <profanity>, way worse than my SteamVR setup with Reshade and OpenFSR. But after enableing Motion Projection in OpenXR everything went from super jerky to butter smooth. 

I also noticed turning up res to 150% and disablesing MSAA is an acceptable level of shimmering. 

I used Toolkit to increase Saturation to 60%, so it almost looks like the Reshade Mod for VR. However, I can not get the same sharpness as that Reshade VR mod.
Release OpenVR support with basic VR preset · fholger/reshade (github.com) 

Another issue I noticed in the Apache is that a get "tearing" on objects seen through the rotorblades, like tree tops, buildings and so on. Any way to get around that? 

My hardware, Intel i9 11900K, Asus Z590 Hero , Asus RTX 3090, 32 GB ram, M2 harddrive Pcie gen 4.0. 

Edited by corb

I guess I just need to check something first.  I can't get clean/repair to work.  My version of DCS World was purchased on Steam.  This explains how to get SteamVR out of the picture, so am I correct to assume the standalone version also used steamvr?  Is this OpenXR not actually compatible with the steam version of this game and all of you that have successfully gotten this to work are all on stand alone?   Has anyone that purchased this game on steam gotten this openxr to work?  I can't figure out how to re-calibrate my headset because it's not in this guide so I'll have to look up another tutorial just to figure that out.  But, how would I even launch the game?  I used to load WMR and in vr I would open steam and click on "Launch steamvr in steam VR Mode"  There is no Openxr mode listed, there is only play dcs world steam edition, launch steamvr and launch oculusvr.  So does this not even work with this version of DCS or do I have to create a desktop shortcut from the exe and edit the command line or something?

43 minutes ago, falken76 said:

I really want to give this a try but I get stuck right at the beginning.  I can not clean or repair DCS World.  Is this because I bought the game on Steam?  When i try to repair using that Skatezilla program, it says the updater is corrupt.  So I downloaded an updater directly from ed and that one doesn't work either, it says it "can't exactly find the install folder" and when I confirm it is correct it doesn't do anything, then the Repair option never becomes available.

Am I supposed to go into steam and "Verify integrity of game files" instead of repair/clean?  If not, do I really have to re-install nearly 200 gigs just to test this mod?  Why can't it just have an install script like normal programs?

Does this forum have a search function that works on a per thread basis?  This thread is already 40+ pages deep and I'd like to search for "Can not clean"

I gave up the cleaning part, and just deleted every shred of DCS files I had on my system, and then redownload everything from Steam again. Luckely I saved my profiles for F18, A10, Apache for each HOTAS. So it was a quick restore of the input profiles. 

Ok, so you have the steam version of this game?  How do you launch the game?  I don't have a "Launch in Openxr mode" option, do you just select open steam edition or select open steamvr version?  Did this even work to help improve your game?  I assume you have the steam version since you said you re-downloaded everything from steam.

4 minutes ago, falken76 said:

I guess I just need to check something first.  I can't get clean/repair to work.  My version of DCS World was purchased on Steam.  This explains how to get SteamVR out of the picture, so am I correct to assume the standalone version also used steamvr?  Is this OpenXR not actually compatible with the steam version of this game and all of you that have successfully gotten this to work are all on stand alone?   Has anyone that purchased this game on steam gotten this openxr to work?  I can't figure out how to re-calibrate my headset because it's not in this guide so I'll have to look up another tutorial just to figure that out.  But, how would I even launch the game?  I used to load WMR and in vr I would open steam and click on "Launch steamvr in steam VR Mode"  There is no Openxr mode listed, there is only play dcs world steam edition, launch steamvr and launch oculusvr.  So does this not even work with this version of DCS or do I have to create a desktop shortcut from the exe and edit the command line or something?

I would do this at  minimum. Also maybe manually delete anything related to any other mods, then verify files via Steam.

As a last resort, you might want to take 'convert to DCS stand alone' route.

3 minutes ago, falken76 said:

Ok, so you have the steam version of this game?  How do you launch the game?  I don't have a "Launch in Openxr mode" option, do you just select open steam edition or select open steamvr version?  Did this even work to help improve your game?  I assume you have the steam version since you said you re-downloaded everything from steam.

Once you've copied the files over to "bin", try launching via the DCS.exe there. I recall shortcut created by Steam adds something to the properties.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

4 minutes ago, falken76 said:

You can point a desktop shortcut to the DCS.exe in the bin folder, doesnt necessarily have to go through steam.

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

13 minutes ago, corb said:

Another issue I noticed in the Apache is that a get "tearing" on objects seen through the rotorblades, like tree tops, buildings and so on. Any way to get around that?

At this moment in time this is an issue within the implementation of MR and DCS; it's arguably worse than SVR at the moment but only really happens with helo rotors and props. The devs are aware of the problem.

No current fix or workarounds and it will get fixed as and when it is, that's assuming a fix is possible.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, falken76 said:

I launch DCS from the Windows MIxed reality "Club House". I think I can launch it from start menu as well, as long as you have ticked VR in DCS Settings. 

Pm me on Telegram if you want more support 😃 
https://t.me/coRb1

1 minute ago, edmuss said:

At this moment in time this is an issue within the implementation of MR and DCS; it's arguably worse than SVR at the moment but only really happens with helo rotors and props. The devs are aware of the problem.

No current fix or workarounds and it will get fixed as and when it is, that's assuming a fix is possible.

Ah ok, thanks for the info. Well I think I can live with that for now. Really like the smoothness. 

I was just about to try and mix with NVidia settings to see if it was the cause. I have VR Pre-rendered Frames set to 4. 

Screenshot 2022-04-04 22.57.50.jpg

45 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

You can point a desktop shortcut to the DCS.exe in the bin folder, doesnt necessarily have to go through steam.

This worked.  I had to close the oculus programs through task manager.  But now when i run DCS from the shortcut, it loads into VR.  Task manager confirms that Steamvr is not loaded at all, and dcs shows it's also using opencomposit.  It must be working. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 3:31 AM, Sr. said:

How do you enable the fixed foveated settings?

It was already there as an option mate, i just changed it to custom.
I think however it only shows when you change the menu, show expert settings to yes as below.

MSFS_openXR_menu.JPG

17 hours ago, corb said:

Ok! Just spent a few hours trimming this with OpenXR. At first, it was <profanity>, way worse than my SteamVR setup with Reshade and OpenFSR. But after enableing Motion Projection in OpenXR everything went from super jerky to butter smooth. 

I also noticed turning up res to 150% and disablesing MSAA is an acceptable level of shimmering. 

I used Toolkit to increase Saturation to 60%, so it almost looks like the Reshade Mod for VR. However, I can not get the same sharpness as that Reshade VR mod.
Release OpenVR support with basic VR preset · fholger/reshade (github.com) 

My hardware, Intel i9 11900K, Asus Z590 Hero , Asus RTX 3090, 32 GB ram, M2 harddrive Pcie gen 4.0. 

Had similar tearing, try NVIDIA control panel, 3d settings and setting Vsync to Fast. Worked for me.

Edited by wheelie
  • Thanks 1

wheelie

Windows10, RTX4090 OC, i9-9900k @ 5ghz all cores, 64gb DDR3600 ram, M.2 boot drive and crucial SSD's, M.2 for DCS.
VR user Varjo Aero, Virpil Throttle and Base with Thrustmaster sticks.

3 hours ago, edmuss said:

To be fair, if you've got a good stable image and no spikes then it's a good place to start turning settings up in DCS.

The toolkit performance uplift tools do so at a loss to image quality, many prefer to run without them as they somewhat sully the image quality provided by OXR.

What frametimes are you getting? I'm presuming that the VB vsync is working a little like reprojection. Enable the performance metrics from the OpenXR developer tools and look at the appGPU and postGPU readings.

Also what resolution is OpenXR running at? Unless you've set a custom resolution it will calculate a recommended based on your 24gb VRAM, the second tab in the developer tools will display the actual resolution that you're rendering at.

Thanks for the info I will try and check some of that out tomorrow in my testing. The headset blacked out a couple of times on me today, something it has never done so not sure if related to the Mod, thinking perhaps it probably is. If it does it again tomorrow I may have to remove  the Mod and do some more testing to be sure it is not a headset issue suddenly.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

2 hours ago, corb said:

Turn off Motion Reprojection or switch back to SteamVR. You can also use 3Dmigoto tool and disable rotor in Apache but it will look weird.

2 hours ago, edmuss said:

At this moment in time this is an issue within the implementation of MR and DCS

These artefacts are also present in MSFS and have never been fixed. 

i9 9700K @5.0GHz; 2080 Ti, 32GB RAM. Reverb G2; TM Warthog on VPC WarBRD Base, MFG Crosswind V3

19 minutes ago, Marklar said:

Turn off Motion Reprojection or switch back to SteamVR. You can also use 3Dmigoto tool and disable rotor in Apache but it will look weird.

In my opinion, the OpenXR MR artifacts in MSFS are far worse than what I experience in DCS.

I gave up on playing MSFS in VR due to MR not working well enough.

In DCS, OpenXR MR works pretty well with the exception of rotor issues in helicopters and also excessive ghosting in jet fly by views.(F3)

Edited by lax22
  • Like 1

System: 7800X3D / Asus RTX 4090 OC / 64GB 3600mhz / Pimax Crystal / VKB GF3 Ultimate

17 minutes ago, Marklar said:

Interesting, either way the devs are trying to get it as good as WMR4SVR is; perhaps if they can fix it for DCS they might be able to apply the same fix for MSFS 🙂

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Dogmanbird said:

Just curious how many of us posting here are testing this in multiplayer servers? 

If you are, and are having similar performance (good) to single player, would you mind sharing which servers you are using? 

I had the same issue on our MP server. Fps went below 9 and did not recover. In SP it is all good. Tried the MP server before the squadrons were flying and it was still okay. 

I fly an A-10C II in VR and post my DCS journey on Is your phone a YouTube Signature Device? - Gizmochina     |   Subscribe to my DCS A-10C channel   

Come check out the 132nd Virtual Wing                                   |   My 4090 VR Performance Optimization  
SYSTEM SPECS: Ryzen 7 5800X3D, RTX4090, Varjo Aero, VKB Gunfigher MKIII MCG Ultimate with 10cm extension,VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle, VPC Control Panel #2, TM TPR Rudders. 64GB RAM, W10, Gametrix Jetseat, PointCTRL (currently broken), OpenKneeboard, Wacom Intuos.

132nd.Ready_Signatur.png

1 hour ago, Marklar said:

not gonna happen...  🙂   I'm sure a fix will be forthcoming.  Regardless, I'm enjoying this thoroughly with the Apache.  Getting better at my landings.

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

4 hours ago, edmuss said:

I get it pretty bad in jets.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

I've successfully installed OpenXR for DCS, and I'm liking the performance improvements, but I'm having an issue with my VR controllers now - the angle is no longer correct, they are rotated downward. (Reverb G2). How can I adjust the orientation of the VR controllers? 

3 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

I get it pretty bad in jets.

Fixed by removing Kegetys shaders 

• Like 1

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

17 hours ago, nikoel said:

This 100%

DCS is still DCS. Multiplayer complaints are for the lack of CPU utilisation which I highlighted a few times. Even Wags during an interview not too long ago has said that he expects much more performance uplift from multi threading implementations than from Vulcan. Man got a point. I can not name an other game which is CPU limited after I render over 7K combined resolution

So you installed Open XR, but nothing has changed, you still only have a couple of threads which are now supersaturated driving your eye candy. This is because you can actually take advantage of the connection between DCS and your headset. Now you gotta slog multiplayer shenanigans on top. Not an ideal metaphor, but if this is not making sense - Before with SteamVR you had a bottleneck which "helped" the multiplayer performance in the same way a closing of a few lanes of the motorway "helps" the merging traffic flow after the roadworks. Now that the roadworks is gone, for people joining the traffic flow downstream it has gotten more difficult

Understood, but for me it doesn't happen with SVR in multiplayer, with GFX and render scale set high.  

Multiplayer, when using OpenComposite, even with all in game options low (but DCS VR set at 100) and OXR Dev Tool render scale turned down to 20, eventually the stutters will begin, and will generally remain regardless of how complex or barren the scenery.

On my two systems it's behaving like a tap dripping into a bucket. Lowering the GFX settings slows down the drip, but ultimately it will full up, at which point the judders/jitters start. 

Other than this problem, it's fantastic 😄

1 hour ago, Dogmanbird said:

Understood, but for me it doesn't happen with SVR in multiplayer, with GFX and render scale set high.  

Multiplayer, when using OpenComposite, even with all in game options low (but DCS VR set at 100) and OXR Dev Tool render scale turned down to 20, eventually the stutters will begin, and will generally remain regardless of how complex or barren the scenery.

On my two systems it's behaving like a tap dripping into a bucket. Lowering the GFX settings slows down the drip, but ultimately it will full up, at which point the judders/jitters start. 

Other than this problem, it's fantastic 😄

Are you running re-re-reprojection?