OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

45 minutes ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

Can anyone with a 3090 and G2 recommend some settings for the OpenXR Toolkit? I'm dipping my toes into this and currently just have OpenXR with reprojection but have not added toolkit into the mix yet. 

Also, same question for anyone who has added the OpenXR compliant 3Dmigoto into the mix. 

I like the "less is more" approach, but if there are some basics to turn on with the aforementioned add-ons that helps more than it hurts, I'm curious what folks with similar setups are using. 

I run 3Dmigoto for the cockpit sharpening, color adjustments and the CBU bug fix only.

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

48 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

100% FSR at 20% MIPMAP OFF QUALITY BALANCED

and set MR UNLOCKED set to  and Always in Dev Tools

Much appreciated, as always!

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

I also use the 3Dmigoto, however I adjusted colors in the OpenXR toolkit and use 3Dmogoto only for sharpening and haze reduction.  I've tested with and without 3DMogito with those settings and I'm not seeing a performance hit but I can see the sharpening difference.

• Like 1

Thought I post this here as well as the sister thread. I uploaded this quick Demo to showcase what kind of smoothness I get with OpenXR. This has been captured via the screen recording of the mirror, so the image is much worse than what I actually get inside the G2. But since this is a showcase of how smooth the gameplay is, this is not that important

Have a look at the merge, notice how even when I snap back the image is stable. This is the same when I cut the bandit off in the vertical

Ignore the otherwise mediocre flying and aiming

Edited by nikoel

2 hours ago, Sr. said:

Do you have Windows UAC disabled?

And it still crashes no matter what settings I use Motion projection unlocked or 45 or 30, dosn't matter what resolution or sharpness I try

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

30 minutes ago, freehand said:

Your nearly in the stratosphere it wants to be  smooth lol.

Would be nice to see low down and dirty.

You must have missed the part where I shot him down a few hundred feet off the deck? Here is worst case scenario. Syria, bunch of SAMs littered across the border, in the chad IKEA meatball machine doing Mach 1 with cluster bombs. in the sister optimisation thread you will find Apache which is much more punishing. Will also take a while for the Youtube gnomes to do their thing

Edited by nikoel

1 minute ago, Gunfreak said:

And it still crashes no matter what settings I use Motion projection unlocked or 45 or 30, dosn't matter what resolution or sharpness I try

As I mentioned, having FSR enabled was causing the crashes I was getting.  I went from everything worked, to crashing almost every time I ran DCS (sometimes in menu or loading or even during flight) to not crashing again.  The reason, I turned on FSR at 0% and was trying to use the sharpness setting.  I turned it back off, no more crashing.

I use 3DMigoto for sharpening.

1 hour ago, Nightstorm said:

I also use the 3Dmigoto, however I adjusted colors in the OpenXR toolkit and use 3Dmogoto only for sharpening and haze reduction.  I've tested with and without 3DMogito with those settings and I'm not seeing a performance hit but I can see the sharpening difference.

The sharpening is great.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

38 minutes ago, Nightstorm said:

As I mentioned, having FSR enabled was causing the crashes I was getting.  I went from everything worked, to crashing almost every time I ran DCS (sometimes in menu or loading or even during flight) to not crashing again.  The reason, I turned on FSR at 0% and was trying to use the sharpness setting.  I turned it back off, no more crashing.

I use 3DMigoto for sharpening.

But there is no point in using openxr for me if i can't use FSR. I get better performance with steam vr and fsr for steam vr. Than I get with just default openxr. And with steam vr, I don't get those visual artifacts. 

i7 13700k @5.2ghz, GTX 3090, 64Gig ram 4800mhz DDR5, M2 drive.

43 minutes ago, Gunfreak said:

But there is no point in using openxr for me if i can't use FSR. I get better performance with steam vr and fsr for steam vr. Than I get with just default openxr. And with steam vr, I don't get those visual artifacts. 

As with everything related to DCS performance and tweaking "Your mileage may vary".  Some things will work for some, that don't work for others.  Several people in this thread had commented that they were able to resolve all of the motion reprojection artifacts from OpenXR by changing the runtime in Steam VR and then putting it back.  I tried that four times with no affect.  If I turn on MR I get the swimming effects in different places.

All I can say is to try things out until you find something that works for you.  We have examples of people with near identical hardware, yet they have different results.  It doesn't make sense, but it seems to be the case.

Personally, DCS has never run this smooth for me or looked this good.  I'm really happy with it.  And, I don't even have to start up Steam much less Steam VR.

I'm hoping that the MR issues get resolved in OpenXR as I imagine that might improve things even more.

Edited by Nightstorm

For AMD GPU users. I found this little gem buried under the Global graphics option. While Chill is nice, this simply limits fps like Rivatuner.

Likely without additional overhead.

Screenshot 2022-04-12 125753.jpg

Edited by Sr.
  • Thanks 2

--Arthur C Clark

I would like someone else to try this so I know I am not losing my mind, because it happens to me 100% of the time with OpenXR and I feel like it is a bug: 

While in flight, try to save any of your key binding profiles through the "adjust controls" menu. As soon as you hit OK in the renaming screen, the game should freeze. 

Not a huge deal, it just sucks when you figure out a last 2nd key addition/modification and try to adjust it on the fly!

Edited by DirtyMike0330

PC: ASUS TUF 4090oc - Ryzen 7950X3D - 32gb DDR5 6000 - Quest Pro

Sims: DCS, IL2, MSFS

Pilot Skill: Drunk guy from Independence Day

RIO Skill: Goose (post neck-break) 

2 hours ago, DirtyMike0330 said:

I would like someone else to try this so I know I am not losing my mind, because it happens to me 100% of the time with OpenXR and I feel like it is a bug: 

While in flight, try to save any of your key binding profiles through the "adjust controls" menu. As soon as you hit OK in the renaming screen, the game should freeze. 

Not a huge deal, it just sucks when you figure out a last 2nd key addition/modification and try to adjust it on the fly!

Is your game installed to 'Program Files'?   If so, try running the game as administrator when you plan on tweaking OpenXR settings.  (just a theory based on what I've seen in other circumstances, may or may not be correct).

10 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

I have it on the lowest(never notify)
I can get the FPS to show, with out crashing, but any other changes causes crahing

same for me in that I'm unable to use the scaling without a DCS crash. World scale and other features work fine.

However, everything works correctly in MSFS

7 hours ago, Gunfreak said:

This is a strange one eh. I've tested open composite on 3 systems with dcs and its made a huge improvement on each. 

From unplayable jittery low resolution mess straight to smooth, beautiful high resolution experience! It's like magic!

Ryzen 5600X, RTX2070, 24GB RAM on G2 Reverb v1.

I don't know how to measure FPS in OpenXR, but I suspect it's 45fps with reprojection because during fast head turn I can see black parts on screen (frames not being rendered fast enough)

9 часов назад, Avat сказал:

I don't know how to measure FPS in OpenXR

Rctrl + pause.

• Like 1

DCS rig: Ryzen 7 5800X3D; 128gb DDR4 3600, RTX4090; 1tb samsung 960 evo; HP Reverb G2-> Quest Pro.

Никогда не спорьте с идиотами. Вы опуститесь до их уровня, где они вас задавят своим опытом.

I think you get better metrics using the OpenXR Toolkit Companion App.  Use the detailed overlay.  You want to look more at render times than FPS anyway.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Hi, i have a quest 2 but it's impossible for me to get it to work, it seems like Mixed Reality Portal isn't detecting my headset (it's telling me to connect my headset)Connect your headset.JPG

However i can use it on DCS with oculus link, i think that it may be due to the headset being detected as a "portable device" on the device manager (see the picture below)image.png

I don't have anything that souds like "Windows Mixed Reality device".

Are there any quest 2 users here that made it to work ? If yes can you tell me if your quest 2 is also detected as a portable device ? And if Mixed Reality Portal can detect your headset ?

If someone knows how to fix that it would be amazing !

I believe that you need to set the Oculus runtime to be openvr, then open composite will hook into openvr and translate it into openxr.

It's nothing to do with WMR which is why it doesn't recognise your quest 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

2 hours ago, Reax178 said:

Hi, i have a quest 2 but it's impossible for me to get it to work, it seems like Mixed Reality Portal isn't detecting my headset (it's telling me to connect my headset)Connect your headset.JPG

However i can use it on DCS with oculus link, i think that it may be due to the headset being detected as a "portable device" on the device manager (see the picture below)image.png

I don't have anything that souds like "Windows Mixed Reality device".

Are there any quest 2 users here that made it to work ? If yes can you tell me if your quest 2 is also detected as a portable device ? And if Mixed Reality Portal can detect your headset ?

If someone knows how to fix that it would be amazing !

I've Been trying for 2 days. I can get the quest API on openxr, but I can't get the tool kit to show the options under the demo. I'm not even sure if it launches when I start DCS. I have the composite mod installed, but as I understand it, that is for steamvr. while I have the steam version of the game, I don't use steamvr, I use oculus api. So, I know I have them connected, Should I delete the composite files? Also, I've tried everything to pull up the settings menu in the quest (the openxr tool kit menu) but the keybinds wont work, tried remapping. Still nada.. I really would like to use it though... 

I'm also having major problems with the openxr tool kit extension app crashing my Openxr tools app. (the actual app, once I delete the extension it works again) 

If someone has a step by step for quest 2 users... (NOT STEAMVR or WMR) please post! or help and I can put together one for other users. 

Edited by HoBGoBLiNzx3

So, I have finally gotten my G2 Headset.  I want to set up OpenXR, but I'm wondering if I'm going to see a massive improvement on my older hardware.  Currently I'm running a 1600X, 32GB RAM and a 1080ti.  WMR4SVR worked fairly well on my older G1 and WMR headsets.  I'm just curious how much improvement I'm likely to see.

5 minutes ago, skygunner58203 said:

So, I have finally gotten my G2 Headset.  I want to set up OpenXR, but I'm wondering if I'm going to see a massive improvement on my older hardware.  Currently I'm running a 1600X, 32GB RAM and a 1080ti.  WMR4SVR worked fairly well on my older G1 and WMR headsets.  I'm just curious how much improvement I'm likely to see.

doesn't involve that much to get it going.  I'd say, give it a whirl.  if things don't work out, just back out the changes and stick with WMR4SVR. 

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

55 minutes ago, HoBGoBLiNzx3 said:

I've Been trying for 2 days. I can get the quest API on openxr, but I can't get the tool kit to show the options under the demo. I'm not even sure if it launches when I start DCS. I have the composite mod installed, but as I understand it, that is for steamvr. while I have the steam version of the game, I don't use steamvr, I use oculus api. So, I know I have them connected, Should I delete the composite files? Also, I've tried everything to pull up the settings menu in the quest (the openxr tool kit menu) but the keybinds wont work, tried remapping. Still nada.. I really would like to use it though... 

I'm also having major problems with the openxr tool kit extension app crashing my Openxr tools app. (the actual app, once I delete the extension it works again) 

If someone has a step by step for quest 2 users... (NOT STEAMVR or WMR) please post! or help and I can put together one for other users. 

It as simple as copying the 3 files mentioned below:

Download latest release (not source files) of OpenComposite here: https://gitlab.com/Jabbah/open-composite-acc/-/releases -
extract the following to the bin folder of your DCS installation
openvr_api, opencomposite, D3DCompiler_47 (the files – NOT folders)

and then  launch DCS through Skatezilla's app with SteamVR api instead of Oculus.

OpenXR toolkit is optional:

Download this: https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/

Install and launch (I have ticked the experimental settings)

Launch DCS then CTRL+F2 (or whatever keystroke you've setup inside the toolkit - it will only be visible inside VR. If the menu is too large go to the right most tab and adjust the offset)

MAIN SYSTEM SPECS: MSI PRO Z690-A WIFI DDR4, Intel Corei7-12700K @ 5.0, 64Gb RAM Kingston KF3600C18D4/16GX, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB, Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 1TB, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, VKB Gladiator NXT Evo, VKB T-Rudder MKIV, Quest 2, Quest Pro

BACKUP SYSTEM SPECS: Lenovo Legion Y540-15IRH, i7 9750, RTX2060mobile 6GB, 32GB RAM Crucial DDR4-2666, 1TB Intel SSD NVMe

SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11