OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

@nikoel, Will you update the initial page when the issues are ironed out with the new version of this (but leave the original content for those who want to use the old way)? The current version is working and I am happy to wait a few more days for the dust to settle on the new one but I don't know where to look to find details around getting it to work. Thanks again for the guide! It really helped me! (are you going to do another guide?) 🙂

30 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

yep largely what i did, but i just corrected the errors in the ini file, and this works, i just can't get the generic installer to work, when i install the binaries to dcs\bin it works fine though

I think it at least applied itself to MSFS2020, because I personally didn't touch that one, but I can run it VR mode without even having Steam running at all.

Then I noticed this yesterday after updating OXR Toolkit.

oxr.JPG

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

15 minutes ago, Sr. said:

I think it at least applied itself to MSFS2020, because I personally didn't touch that one, but I can run it VR mode without even having Steam running at all.

Then I noticed this yesterday after updating OXR Toolkit.

yep, and mine also has the other WWII sim...

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

5 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

yep, and mine also has the other WWII sim...

I half expected it to hit that on mine too, but missed it somehow. Maybe because I haven't ran it it in a while.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

6 hours ago, nikoel said:

Perhaps it's 62 pages because you keep reminding us how you don't run any mods every page of this thread. The start guide is all entailed in the first page

The reason it didn't work for you is because you

a) Failed to follow instructions
b) Complained about it - by saying that I was assuming everyone is a programmer (ignoring that literally thousands of people were successful before you)
c) When you finally got it work, you instantly gave up because of colour saturation even though you could have easily dialled it up with 4 keypresses like everyone else
d) Cranky, set in your ways and stubborn 

Get over yourself. I just simply stated why I prefer not to run Mods and yes I tried this one and decided it was not for me at this time. And no I don't do so every page. And I am fully aware of the developer behind the Toolkit and all his contributions especially to the MSFS community. I am looking forward to trying out his eye tracking with foveated rendering in my Aero with MSFS.

Have a wonderful day,

Edit: Perhaps you could point me to where I stated what you have accused me of saying in your post to me? 

Edited by dburne
  • Like 2

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

You should try it again.  It's awesome.

• Like 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

So i just reinstalled the game to get a "Clean" install. Popped the files into the DCS folder and downloaded OpenXR but i can't seem to setup my headset with this (HTC Vive)

Am I just boned to use SteamVR ?

51 minutes ago, Lorry said:

So i just reinstalled the game to get a "Clean" install. Popped the files into the DCS folder and downloaded OpenXR but i can't seem to setup my headset with this (HTC Vive)

Am I just boned to use SteamVR ?

I think for it to work the HMD has to have direct support for OpenXR without relying on SteamVR, and the only HTC headset that I know of that can do this is the Vive Focus 3.  Perhaps HTC can offer this feature via software update for other headsets if enough people want this, although I'm pretty sure that all future headsets will have this option as OpenXR is the future of VR.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

I think the OP needs a list of headsets it currently works with and maybe pointers to where someone says what to do to make it work.  I understand that's a bit outside the scope of the OP...  but would likely help a lot 🙂

• Thanks 1

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

I believe dev tools 1.1 works better with OCXR 0.6.3. The previous version worked better with 0.6.2

Noticed less framerate drops on the SuperCarrier

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

0.6.3 is likely the last version of OpenCompostieACC, as the dev said it's been merged to ZNix's official OpenComposite OpenXR which is now available.

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

11 hours ago, Str][ker said:

@nikoel, Will you update the initial page when the issues are ironed out with the new version of this (but leave the original content for those who want to use the old way)? The current version is working and I am happy to wait a few more days for the dust to settle on the new one but I don't know where to look to find details around getting it to work. Thanks again for the guide! It really helped me! (are you going to do another guide?) 🙂

Heya

Yes I will definitely update the guide and have a few extra additions that people have been asking to add (eg. The DCS eye tool for Oculus users who are experiencing the fishbowl effect). I started this already, however I am holding off now because there is a significant difference in the way people are installing the new version. The way I did it, seems to be an outlier (if you did it my way please yell out if it worked for you). So I rather wait and be 100% sure that the instructions are correct rather than updating asap

I also want to add that 0.6.3 currently is equal to the new version. All the new version does is merge Jabbah's changes to the official branch. If it's working for you, you gain nothing from updating to the new OpenComposite main fork. However your sacrifice is appreciated because it helps to iron out the kinks

• Like 2

If you haven't updated and would like to help can you please do the following

1) Clean your entire DCS folder thoroughly using the skatezilla utility (make sure to check for extra files). Old OpenComposite should no longer exist (not even the ini), start with a clean install

image.png

2) Download this: https://znix.xyz/OpenComposite/runtimeswitcher.php?branch=openxr - Then run OpenComposite.exe

3) Set runtime from SteamVR to OpenComposite (Which connects to OpenXR)

4) Delete/Rename your D3DCompiler_47.dll inside the bin folder (eg D3DCompiler_47dll.orig)

5) Launch!

6) From now on only create an .ini if you have a specific purpose for it. I have attached mine - in the past it has helped me with VR controllers and mouse

On startup, OpenComposite searches for a file named opencomposite.ini, first next to the openvr_api.dll file, and if it can't find that, then it looks in the working directory (usually in the same folder as the EXE). If no file is found, that's fine and all the default values are used

I Have tested the above with and without this specific .ini and both work great. Also the application has a built-in update utility so no more manual installs and updates. Neat! (Except for when DCS updates and restores D3DCompiler_47.dll)

opencomposite.ini

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Oddly enough, mine still crashed when trying to use the opencomposite.ini... in any form.

Skipping it.

--Arthur C Clark

Fun Fact, not helpful but fun, removing the existing D3DCompiler_47.dll from the bin  folder has the same effect as adding in the new one 😉

Useful fact, at least for me, I had to do a check on existing files for the repair to work. I get no errors either using or not using the ini file.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

2 hours ago, speed-of-heat said:

Fun Fact, not helpful but fun, removing the existing D3DCompiler_47.dll from the bin  folder has the same effect as adding in the new one 😉

Useful fact, at least for me, I had to do a check on existing files for the repair to work. I get no errors either using or not using the ini file.

from the Update README.md in the OpenComposite Gitlab..

image.png

• Like 3

RYZEN 5900X | 32GB | ASUS Strix RTX3090 | 500GB NVMe OS 1000GB NVMe DCS | Warthog HOTAS | HP Reverb G2 | VA & ViacomPRO

My DCS Apps:    Radio KAOS for DCS      KB Quick - Quick and Easy Kneeboards

59 minutes ago, ShaunX said:

from the Update README.md in the OpenComposite Gitlab..

image.png

genuinely hadn't read it 🙂

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

FYI

I have a Varjo Aero and I found that when I used the global install option, the Varjo Base software could no longer detect the headset (gave that error -2 message). I reverted back to the Steam VR (via the installer) and just did the per app install and it's fine.

5 minutes ago, Str][ker said:

FYI

I have a Varjo Aero and I found that when I used the global install option, the Varjo Base software could no longer detect the headset (gave that error -2 message). I reverted back to the Steam VR (via the installer) and just did the per app install and it's fine.

I had that problem with the G2. I had to do a repair and check for modified files as well

13 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

I had that problem with the G2. I had to do a repair and check for modified files as well

To be clear, this was completely separate from DCS. For example, I rebooted my system and didn't start anything else.. When Varjo Base loaded (it's sort of like Varjo's version of Steam VR in a way), it would fail to detect the headset.

• nikoel changed the title to [Update 28/4 Final] OpenXR Guide (For G2, G1 and other Headsets)
29 minutes ago, nikoel said:

New Instructions are now live

Step 3 link broken I think 

https://ci.appveyor.com/api/projects/ZNix/openovr/artifacts/OpenComposite.zip?branch=openxr.&job=Platform%3A+Win32&pr=false

{"message":"Build not found or access denied."}

--Arthur C Clark