OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

8 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Think I get it...

edit: ok yeah that worked!  Thanks!

you're supposed to delete that beforehand.

I did delete it beforehand. I did exactly like the instructions.

MSI MPG B550 Gaming Plus - Ryzen 5 5600x - RTX3070 - 32GB Ram - HP Reverb G2 - Warthog HOTAS - VKB rudder pedals

2 hours ago, scorch71 said:

Super new to VR, Followed the install instructions, I cleaned and rebuilt DCS, but I got this at start up and a Crash? Can anyone please point me in the right direction? Thanks

4174513078.png

Error 2 is a runtime error. I was getting this when I installed again for a while and not 100% sure how I fixed it.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the toolkit and make sure your openxr for Windows is latest version from the ms store. 

The other possibility is one of the 3 files is corrupt. Check the bin folder see if the compiler is duplicated. Failing that remove the 3 files from bin and download them from new. I think someone provided a Dropbox link earlier. Then drop them in your bin folder again. 

• Like 1

Is there a "best practices" approach to troubleshooting those runtime errors?  I spent a little quality time in the discords this morning looking at this.  I'm not sure there's anything new under the sun.  Here's what I came up with -- for G2, Quest has its own issues -- recognizing I'm simply restating what's already in the first post in this thread.  Which is worth reading, folks...

1.  Update windows, turn off HAGS (if there's no option for that, don't worry about it), turn off background programs (RGB, voice attack, winsimapp, etc etc)
  2. Un-f*** DCS.  Uninstall all mods, especially shader mods, especially ReShade.  (Mod manager is your friend.) Set pixel density to 1.0 and leave it there.    Clean DCS using Skatezilla.  Tell Skatezilla to use the SteamVR interface (under "rendering driver"), but make sure you have WMR set NOT to start SVR, and make sure you aren't starting DCS with the --force_steam_vr argument.  By starting it from Skatezilla.  
  3. Clear shaders files (metashaders and fxo folders)
  4. Rename D3DCompiler_47.dll and delete opencomposite.ini (if it's still there, which it shouldn't be if DCS was cleaned properly)
  5. See if OXR is working.  Do this without the OXR Toolkit.  If you've already installed the OXR toolkit, you don't have to uninstall it, but definitely de-activate it for this test.
    1. Open the OXR Developer Tools (the one you download from the Microsoft store)
    2. Check version
    3. Check settings.   Check resolution at 100% or less, and check motion reprojection off.
    4. Pull up the "demo scene."  
    5. If OXR isn't working, or is out of date, follow procedures for re-install (ie unintstall the three programs and then re-install using procedures in the first post)
  6. Once we are sure OXR is working, activate the OXR Toolkit (the one you download from Github)
    1. Check version
    2. Check scaling off (if scaling -- FSR or NIS -- is causing the error, there's a registry edit for that)
    3. ?  It seems some systems just don't like the OXR toolkit

Does that sound about right?  What am I missing?

I found one case where pushing resolution >150% caused issues, several instances where OXR was out of date, one where old ReShade files seemed to be causing issues, and generally a lot of not following procedure / skipping steps / making things more complicated than it needs to be.  And I get the feeling a lot of that comes from not using Skatezilla, which I think is a key to success here

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Like 2

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Hey DeltaMike in step 3. Rename D3DCompiler_47.dll  what do you rename it too?

Thanks

Flight Rig: Ryzen 7 5800X; 32 Gig DDR4 3600; Focus 1000W; ASUS TUF RTX 3090 TI OC Edition; Corsair 500D Airflow VR: HP Reverb G2

Gaming Rig: Ryzen 9 3900X; 32 Gig DDR4 3000; Gigabyte 3070 TI OC Edition; Phanteks Eclipse P400

Whatever, D3DCompiler_47.org or something.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

59 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

2. Un-f*** DCS.  Uninstall all mods, especially shader mods, especially ReShade.  (Mod manager is your friend.) Set pixel density to 1.0 and leave it there.    Clean DCS using Skatezilla.  While Skatezilla should specify the SteamVR API (it says "runtime" but it means "API"), make sure you have WMR set NOT to start SVR, and make sure you aren't starting DCS with the --force_steam_vr argument.  By starting it from Skatezilla.

Thank you very much for this guide. One question as I never used Skatezilla before: Will it keep all settings and bindings after that procedure? Just to be sure.

In my experience with Skatezilla it has never messed with my settings and bindings.  I don't think it does anything inside your saved games folder, far as I know

That said, it's never a bad idea to have a copy of your saved games folder on an external drive, that'll be a lifesaver someday

Speaking of the saved games folder, let's see what @nikoel says about all this, I think clearing that folder is part of his troubleshooting regime...  so yeah, make a backup now while you're thinking about it

• Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

In my experience with Skatezilla it has never messed with my settings and bindings.  I don't think it does anything inside your saved games folder, far as I know
That said, it's never a bad idea to have a copy of your saved games folder on an external drive, that'll be a lifesaver someday
Speaking of the saved games folder, let's see what @nikoel says about all this, I think clearing that folder is part of his troubleshooting regime...  so yeah, make a backup now while you're thinking about it
I think it is recommended to delete the saved games folder for dcs prior to doing any of the open xr updates/install. But actually you just back it up somewhere and then delete it. Run through the open xr configuration and installation, then once everything launches without issues, you can put your saved games folder back.
  • Like 1

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

1 hour ago, DeltaMike said:

While Skatezilla should specify the SteamVR API (it says "runtime" but it means "API"), make sure you have WMR set NOT to start SVR, and make sure you aren't starting DCS with the --force_steam_vr argument.  By starting it from Skatezilla.  

mine is:

image.png

keep steam close. I dont run it for weeks. Run WMR first, clean enviorement, use seat mode.

Edited by TylerPL666
  • Like 1

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

28 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

Not much to add. This is 100% correct. And I also have a backup because I have trust issues with SimAppPro (but that’s neither here nor there) 

I always clear metashaders and fxo when I make big changes 

Also I Launched OpenComposite.exe today and update notification came up. Clicked on the update button. It fetched everything automagically, double clicked DCS and it launched. Looks like that’s all she wrote and all we gotta do is open the app every now and then to update

2 minutes ago, nikoel said:

Not much to add. This is 100% correct. And I also have a backup because I have trust issues with SimAppPro (but that’s neither here nor there) 

I always clear metashaders and fxo when I make big changes 

Also I Launched OpenComposite.exe today and update notification came up. Clicked on the update button. It fetched everything automagically, double clicked DCS and it launched. Looks like that’s all she wrote and all we gotta do is open the app every now and then to update

Edited

I've been timing my trips perfectly lately -- sounds like I was out of town just long enough to get that merge sorted out.  Thanks for all you do.  Gonna try life in the fast lane (60fps/60hz) today. Wish me luck

On 5/1/2022 at 10:54 AM, speed-of-heat said:

The OXRTK stores its settings in the registry, which means you can use a *.reg file to make them portable.

These are my current settings for DCS, which is for my HP Reverb G2, and my FOV is slightly wider than normal I am using motion reprojection, if you have a different headset these may not be the right choices for you.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\OpenXR_Toolkit\OpenComposite_DCS]
"module"="E:\\Games\\Eagle Dynamics\\DCS World Openbeta\\bin\\DCS.exe"
"first_run"=dword:0000000b
"scaling_type"=dword:00000002
"vrs"=dword:00000002
"saturation_mode"=dword:00000000
"saturation_red"=dword:00000258
"saturation_green"=dword:00000258
"saturation_blue"=dword:00000258
"expert_menu"=dword:00000001
"vrs_pattern"=dword:00000000
"mipmap_bias"=dword:00000001
"motion_reprojection_rate"=dword:00000001
"vrs_quality"=dword:00000001
"vrs_x_scale"=dword:0000008c
"sharpness"=dword:0000000a
"overlay"=dword:00000000
"scaling"=dword:0000005f
"vrs_inner_radius"=dword:00000046
"vrs_outer"=dword:00000003
"vrs_prefer_horizontal"=dword:00000001
"vrs_x_offset"=dword:00000000
"vrs_middle"=dword:00000001
"prediction_dampen"=dword:00000064
"saturation"=dword:00000258
"post_process"=dword:00000001
"post_vibrance"=dword:00000000
"post_saturation"=dword:00000208
"post_sunglasses"=dword:00000000
"post_shadows"=dword:00000000
"post_gain_b"=dword:000001f4
"bypass"=dword:00000000
"menu_timeout"=dword:00000001
"vrs_inner"=dword:00000000
"vrs_y_offset"=dword:00000000
"post_contrast"=dword:000001f8
"post_brightness"=dword:000001c2
"world_scale"=dword:000003e8
"vrs_outer_radius"=dword:0000005a
"vrs_lr_bias"=dword:00000000

1) note the line module, will need to be changed to reflect your DCS exe path

2) then save it as OpenComposite_DCS.reg,

3) double click on the saved file and select YES and then YES again to apply these changes.

as with any change to the registry, it's your fault, understand what they are going to do.

when I try that, I get an error saying its not a registry script?

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Rhino FFB base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

After every instalation/deinstalation of any shader mod (like 3DMigoto) I use DCS-Update-Witching-Utility to Clear Terrain Metacache, and FXO + Metashaders2.

image.png

Prefiously I was using DCS Updater Utility option to Clear Metashaders2 and FXO every time I instal something new. It have to be a habit for people that mess up with files.
image.png

Those programs have very similar function, Wiching have +1 option for that Terrain Metacache - to be honest have no idea what it is, but if its clearing more than GUI I stick to this 😉

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey Plus+, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING 12GB GDDR6X, 32GB RAM, Intel i7-7700k 5.1GHz (OC), Hydro Series™ H100i v2 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler, Buttkicker 2 Gamer+SSA Sound Module, Virpil MangoosT-CM2 Base+Grip, Logitech X56 Throttle +Rudder, Logitech Z906 5.1, LG OLED 55'' 4K 120Hz
A10-C II,  AH-64D,  AV88NA,  F-14A/B,  F-16C,  F/A-18C,  Ka-50,  Mi-24,  Mi-8,  SA342,  UH-1H,  SuperCarrier,  Persian Gulf,  Nevada,  Syria,  Simshaker for Aviators

it was a straight cut and paste from my reg file

Edited by speed-of-heat

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

1 hour ago, markturner1960 said:

when I try that, I get an error saying its not a registry script?

Make sure you have this line at the top (as per @speed-of-heatpost)

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

12900KF | Maximus Hero Z690 | ASUS 4090 TUF OC | 64GB DDR5 5200 | DCS on 2TB NVMe | WarBRD+Warthog Stick | CM3 | TM TPR's | Varjo Aero

On 3/17/2022 at 10:33 AM, nikoel said:

Thank you so much for this foolproof guide. I hesitated for a long time to try it because I was annoyed with all the VR related stuff and swtiched back to TrackIR...
The comparison to SteamVR is really huge. Suddenly the fonts and textures are almost as sharp as on a screen and it feels definitely much smoother and I haven't even played with the toolkit settings 🙂 THANK YOU

(System: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x, Radeon 6800XT; DCS Steam Edition)

One question: is it possible to run the VR necksafer with openxr? It won't start now.Necksaver not possible, as mentioned it starting post.

Edited by horstweihrauch
  • Like 1

Darkstar: Merged

7 hours ago, TED said:

Error 2 is a runtime error. I was getting this when I installed again for a while and not 100% sure how I fixed it.

Try uninstalling and reinstalling the toolkit and make sure your openxr for Windows is latest version from the ms store. 

The other possibility is one of the 3 files is corrupt. Check the bin folder see if the compiler is duplicated. Failing that remove the 3 files from bin and download them from new. I think someone provided a Dropbox link earlier. Then drop them in your bin folder again. 

@TED, what are "the 3 files" that you are referring to?

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

28 minutes ago, johnbowzer said:

@TED, what are "the 3 files" that you are referring to?

Thanks Ted got it sorted 

John, not sure if these are the files that Ted is referring too, but It makes since that they are because this is what fix my problem.

I did not install the 3 files (two dll and one ini file) 

from OCXR_WMR_ACC into the DCS bin folder

this fix my problem, FYI I believe the OBS pugin folder in the zip for MS2020

Edited by scorch71

I thought I was/am missing something, posts were getting confusing, but now I think that for the last several days there have been install and troubleshooting suggestions that are mixing the old and new ways to get OPENXR working with DCS. 

Unless I got it wrong, this is the evolution?

The initial "per-application" method as per @nikoel was  - short version - clean DCS, then replacing DCS's <openvr_api.dll> and <D3DCompiler_47.dll> and adding the <opencomposite.ini>. And this may still work.

The new "system-wide" method as per updated post 1 using the opencomposite.exe. And this method requires no files to be put in DCS's bin folder, other than an <opencomposite.ini> should you want/need to use one. So the DCS version of </bin/openvr_api.dll> is not touched, and the DCS </bin/D3DCompiler_47.dll> is deleted or renamed so the windows version gets used (which is basically what was being used for the per-application method).

I did everything as per new post 1 for system-wide install, and DCS ran in VR with G2, so it must be using OpenXR. Re-enabled OpenXR Toolkit 1.1 and it is OK.

Just wanting to ensure that I got it right and am not leaving features off the table.

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

23 minutes ago, johnbowzer said:

I thought I was/am missing something, posts were getting confusing, but now I think that for the last several days there have been install and troubleshooting suggestions that are mixing the old and new ways to get OPENXR working with DCS. 

The initial "per-application" method as per @nikoel was  - short version - clean DCS, then replacing DCS's <openvr_api.dll> and <D3DCompiler_47.dll> and adding the <opencomposite.ini>. And this may still work.

The new "system-wide" method as per updated post 1 using the opencomposite.exe. And this method requires no files to be put in DCS's bin folder, other than an <opencomposite.ini> should you want/need to use one. So the DCS version of </bin/openvr_api.dll> is not touched, and the DCS </bin/D3DCompiler_47.dll> is deleted or renamed so the windows version gets used (which is basically what was being used for the per-application method).

I did everything as per new post 1 for system-wide install, and DCS ran in VR with G2, so it must be using OpenXR. Re-enabled OpenXR Toolkit 1.1 and it is OK.

Just wanting to ensure that I got it right and am not leaving features off the table.

Yep, you can also copy the new d3dcompiler_47.dll into the directory with the 2nd approach, which I do mostly so I can manage it with a mod manager.

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

Man, I must be missing something.   Got this to work, but the performance sucks.   I had much smoother performance using Steam VR with Kegetys VR shaders, 100% resolution and no reprojection.  This is a stuttery mess.  And I’m running a stout pc (3090, 5900x, etc).  What am i missing.  Unless there is something obvious, I’m going back to Steam VR.  

Edit:    Never mind.  Switched the G2 to 60hz, now it’s all good.   Now I see what all the hype is about.   Colors are definitely better. As is frame smoothness.  Was able to turn a few things up.   Definitely more performant than Steam VR. 

Edited by Gravy Jones

4 hours ago, johnbowzer said:

This is the way

i don’t try to correct the ‘drag and drop’ per app install because it’s fully legitimate and works. I also don’t provide any commentary on it as I have not tried it - 

i chose my way because I believe it’s superior  for three reasons. It will auto update and is easier for newcomers to install and finally it’s easier to go between SteamVR and OpenXR

However both are 100% fine and should resolve in exactly the same outcome [if done correctly]

• Like 1

vor 6 Stunden schrieb Gravy Jones:

Man, I must be missing something.   Got this to work, but the performance sucks.   I had much smoother performance using Steam VR with Kegetys VR shaders, 100% resolution and no reprojection.  This is a stuttery mess.  And I’m running a stout pc (3090, 5900x, etc).  What am i missing.  Unless there is something obvious, I’m going back to Steam VR.  

Edit:    Never mind.  Switched the G2 to 60hz, now it’s all good.   Now I see what all the hype is about.   Colors are definitely better. As is frame smoothness.  Was able to turn a few things up.   Definitely more performant than Steam VR. 

Have you ever tried to set the G2 to 60Hz when playing with Steamvr?
No wonder you have a higher performance now.
I'm not sure if setting your G2 to 60Hz is the solution to your problem.

^It's one solution.

He probably had microstutter.  If your headset is set at 90hz, microstutter only ever goes away at 90fps and 45fps.  For people like me who are usually loping along at 50fps, most of the time each frame is displayed twice, with an occasional early frame.  If you're closer to 70hz, most frames are displayed once with frequent dropped frames. 

If the dropped frames are driving you bonkers, setting your refresh rate to 60hz solves that problem.  Another strategy could be dialing up your settings to get yourself below 60fps, or locking your frames at 45 using MR or something. 

Nothing wrong with SVR of course.  Pimax users seem to be getting great results with it.  The problem I think is with WMR4SVR, and I believe the mischief might be happening after the frame has already been rendered.  Which is why nikoel keeps banging his spoon on the table about how FPS doesn't tell the whole story here. 

About the only way to deal with WMR4SVR is frame rate locking.  Which works great in SVR but not quite as well in OXR.  For people like me, it's a close call.  SVR with MR is definitely smoother.  I just think OXR looks better and I can live with a little microstutter, long as it's down at the low end of the refresh rate range where you're getting frames early, instead of late. 

@Gravy Jones -- if you keep dialing up your settings, there's a risk of dropping below 60fps, at which point you'll start dropping frames again.  If that happens, you could go back to 90hz if you want, only downside to that is, when you snap-roll the horizon will judder.  Curious to know what the horizon looks like at 60.  Whether it does anything for cloud shimmering and stuff.  Are you doing helicopters?  Jets?  

Edited by DeltaMike
  • Thanks 1