OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

33 minutes ago, nilpointer said:

No such luck here unfortunately. I have done a complete removal of all OpenXR related tooling and reinstalled and have the same issue. MSFS kicks into OpenXR instantly with no problems... which was exactly how well DCS was working for me prior to the new global install option

I have now tried completely removing OpenXR and reinstalling, completely removing DCS and reinstalling, replacing the local openvr_api.dll instead of the global installer option. In all cases DCS simply starts in flat screen mode as though my headset were not even connected. 

The instant I switch back to SteamVR it works perfectly again

Open openComposite.ini with notepad++

edit:     Line 2 ;mirrorMode=disabled

edit:     Line 7 ;performanceStats=disabled

its missing the semi colon. Put the semi colon in place and try again

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

3 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Open openComposite.ini with notepad++

edit:     Line 2 ;mirrorMode=disabled

edit:     Line 7 ;performanceStats=disabled

its missing the semi colon. Put the semi colon in place and try again

I'm not using an opencomposite.ini ... unless there is a default one somewhere

i9-12900KF, MSI Gaming Trio X 4090, Gigabyte Z690, G.Skill 64GB 3600MHz DDR4, 3 x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 Thermaltake ToughPower GF3 1000W PCIe Gen 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, NZXT Z73 AIO cooler, Meta Quest 3 VR headset, Virpil WarBRD + Virpil Constellation Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals.

you absolutely should be...it needs to be in your dcs/bin folder. ill find a link if you dont find a copy of it before me. matter of fact its right here. no need to edit. also be sure to delete D3DCompiler_47.dll. It works, but Im still troubleshooting my install. Had it working a few days ago but Im just getting  frustrated. Im sure Ill fix it when I get a few beers in me and relax a bit.

opencomposite.ini

Edited by Hammer1-1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

47 minutes ago, Hammer1-1 said:

you absolutely should be...it needs to be in your dcs/bin folder. ill find a link if you dont find a copy of it before me. matter of fact its right here. no need to edit. also be sure to delete D3DCompiler_47.dll. It works, but Im still troubleshooting my install. Had it working a few days ago but Im just getting  frustrated. Im sure Ill fix it when I get a few beers in me and relax a bit.

opencomposite.ini 434 B · 2 downloads

No change, it does not seem to be related to the ini file in this case unfortunately

i9-12900KF, MSI Gaming Trio X 4090, Gigabyte Z690, G.Skill 64GB 3600MHz DDR4, 3 x Samsung 990 Pro 2TB M.2 Thermaltake ToughPower GF3 1000W PCIe Gen 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, NZXT Z73 AIO cooler, Meta Quest 3 VR headset, Virpil WarBRD + Virpil Constellation Alpha Grip, Virpil CM3 Throttle, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder Pedals.

OMFG, as someone who works with git on a daily basis I am utterly and totally ashamed to admit what the problem was......

I was downloading from the wrong branch. I was browsing the master branch on the gitlab repo and the link was obviously old... sure enough I switched to the openxr branch and problem solved.

I will now go and hang my head in silent shame.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, nilpointer said:

OMFG, as someone who works with git on a daily basis I am utterly and totally ashamed to admit what the problem was......

I was downloading from the wrong branch. I was browsing the master branch on the gitlab repo and the link was obviously old... sure enough I switched to the openxr branch and problem solved.

well done 😉 we all make mistakes!

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

8 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

opencomposite.ini 434 B · 11 downloads

The recent version of opencomposite does not require an ini file unless you need to use other than default settings. For DCS default is sufficient.

• Like 1

i9-13900k (stock), ASUS TUF 4090 OC, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, Corsair Vengeance Black 64GB 5200MHz DDR5, 1 x 1TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x 2TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB SATA III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W PCIe GEN 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, Corsair AIO iLink cooler, Corsair Graphite 780t Full Tower ATX Case (White), Meta Quest Pro VR headset, Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" UltraWide Dual Quad HD 240Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, Thrustmaster Viper Mission Pack, Thrustmaster Cougar F-16 throttle, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Thrustmaster F-18 stick, Thrustmaster TPR rudder, Winwing ICP, Edifer e25HD Luna HD speakers. 1 Gbps uplink and downlink FTTP. Windows 11. Hot tub, hot wife. Living the dream!

11 hours ago, nilpointer said:

a nilpointer exception 

• Like 3

Intel i5-12600K | RTX4080 Super OC 16GB | 64GB 3600 MHz RAM | M.2 SSDs | Meta Quest 3

8 hours ago, johnbowzer said:

a nilpointer exception 

LOL boom boom ching 🙂 

• Like 1

anyone having any issues in the apache, especially the monocle?

My wallpaper and skins

Thank you very much for sharing all this. OpenXR gave me a nice performance enhancement.

A slight minor negative effect, compared to steamVR, for me : slowly but surely, the view goes up, and I have to recenter from time to time  (I have a HOTAS button for this)

Other issue : sometimes WMR interferes : the WMR menu appears in the middle of a flight. Or a message : "do you really want to shut down your headset ?" Or the flashlight.

In the best case, I can pause DCS, use my HP G2 controller and make this stuff desappear and resume DCS. Sometimes I can't recover.

1 hour ago, Hammer1-1 said:

anyone having any issues in the apache, especially the monocle?

Do you mean it blurring as you look through the rotors?

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero

1 hour ago, Falken2 said:

Thank you very much for sharing all this. OpenXR gave me a nice performance enhancement.

A slight minor negative effect, compared to steamVR, for me : slowly but surely, the view goes up, and I have to recenter from time to time  (I have a HOTAS button for this)

Other issue : sometimes WMR interferes : the WMR menu appears in the middle of a flight. Or a message : "do you really want to shut down your headset ?" Or the flashlight.

In the best case, I can pause DCS, use my HP G2 controller and make this stuff desappear and resume DCS. Sometimes I can't recover.

Try clearing and resetting the WMR environment and disable the headset sleep options. I think you can rebind the flashlight as well, to make sure it's not bound to something DCS uses.

I've never had any of the issues you describe though, I doubt it's specific to OXR 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Hi

I don't know what i do wrong but i can't have DCS logo in the OpenComposite configuration window like you show in 4).

Anyone's help would be great

thanx

Capture.PNG

Intel Core i9-10900X - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - RAM 32 GB DDR4 - HD 4 TB + 2 TB SSD - Win10 - Some WinWing F/A-18 devices - TPR rudders - HP Reverb G2

39 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Try clearing and resetting the WMR environment and disable the headset sleep options. I think you can rebind the flashlight as well, to make sure it's not bound to something DCS uses.

I've never had any of the issues you describe though, I doubt it's specific to OXR 🙂

Thanks for your answer. I'll investigate the flashlight bind stuff. 

I periodically do a WMR clear environment. 

I have set the "never sleep" headset option and yet I got once this annoying panel : "do you really want to shut down the headset?" 

48 minutes ago, franzy666 said:

Hi

I don't know what i do wrong but i can't have DCS logo in the OpenComposite configuration window like you show in 4).

Anyone's help would be great

thanx

Capture.PNG

have you run dcs yet?

in vr

57 minutes ago, speed-of-heat said:

have you run dcs yet?

in vr

Yes i did and everything is in order, now. thanks

• Like 1

Intel Core i9-10900X - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti - RAM 32 GB DDR4 - HD 4 TB + 2 TB SSD - Win10 - Some WinWing F/A-18 devices - TPR rudders - HP Reverb G2

Thanks a lot for this guide!

But why such hostility against motions reprojection users? Many of us simply prefer little bit more details or resolution but suffer nausea from raw 45 FPS so we use motions reprojection to make up for the lost smootheness. It is better than running the game on lowest to achieve true 90 FPS, and even then there are only few graphic cards on the market that can do it. Majority of hardware will not be able to output 90 FPS for a 4K headset such as the Reverb G2 even on lowest settings, so the motion reprojection is the only way to have smooth look-around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Youda said:

But why such hostility against motions reprojection users? Many of us simply prefer little bit more details or resolution but suffer nausea from raw 45 FPS so we use motions reprojection to make up for the lost smootheness. It is better than running the game on lowest to achieve true 90 FPS, and even then there are only few graphic cards on the market that can do it. Majority of hardware will not be able to output 90 FPS for a 4K headset such as the Reverb G2 even on lowest settings, so the motion reprojection is the only way to have smooth look-around.

I think it is just personal preference and our different sensitivities to various aspects.

For me any stuttering or loss of smoothness is a massive immersion killer. Either it runs at 90fps (which it virtually never does on my system in DCS) or I need motion reprojection. Any drop from 90 with MR on is in my opinion immersion breaking. Not particularly from a nausea perspective but it simply doesn't look right. No frame rate capping resolves that in my experience. Yet for others MR introduces aspects that makes it immersion breaking for them and prefer MR off and deal with the loss of smoothness. That is what works for them.

Very occasionally my G1 drops to 60Hz (I get a message in WMR) and I need to restart the PC or disconnect and reconnect the headset to resolve it. If I miss the message and load DCS I can instantly tell and the flickering is unmanageable , I have to exit immediately. Yet some actually run with 60Hz through choice. It is hard for me to believe but again that works fine for them.

For me, VR is all about immersion yet what works for making our brains feel we are "in the plane" can differ from person to person. There are no one size fits all answers which can make setting it up something of a trial and error exercise but there is a lot of good advice and pointers to help on these forums IMHO.

• Like 1

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

I have nothing against motion reprojection but currently the implementation in OXR for DCS simply isn't as good as it is in SVR.

In SVR the only reprojection artifacts I see on the A10 is the right wing pitot tube tip distorting, in OXR it's the HUD frame, cockpit frames, MFD glare shields, MFD text, cockpit release handles, wing edges and all weapons mounted. Rotor blades are absolutely atrocious and cause distortion across the entire cockpit due to the shadows.  That is why I refuse to use it for now.

If they can sort that out then I'll have no issues using it as I'll be able to run more resolution and higher details 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

4 hours ago, Youda said:

I think many people don't know that there is actually a difference between auto reprojection and forced on reprojection, the first one almost always creates ghosting artifacts all around the cockpit, the second one creates artifacts only around overlapping edges (see video attached, 45fps reprojection through the lense).

If you run reprojection, it's important to leave some headroom for the GPU (6-7ms of frametimes), otherwise it will ghost.

Edited by Dragasath

Once the OXR crew figure out the motion reprojection I'll consider switching back. For now, I'm perfectly happy with 60Hz and stutter free DCS at eye popping resolutions.

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

2 hours ago, Dragasath said:

there is actually a difference between auto reprojection and forced on reprojection, the first one almost always creates ghosting artifacts all around the cockpit, the second one creates artifacts only around overlapping edges

That's because auto reprojection in OXR is actually not reprojecting at all, simply relying on the vsync built within OXR which results in ghosting.

Auto reprojection in OXRDT is a function whereby the app used (msfs/DCS/xplane/whichever) had a predefined reprojection profile set up based upon a list written by the devs, however only msfs is implemented at this time. For anything other than msfs reprojection is currently disabled when set to auto.

I believe that the differences between OXR and SVR implementation of reprojection is based upon how the head pose/position is calculated. Unfortunately it causes far more artifacts in DCS as a result but all being well will get fixed 🙂

edit: if you were to lock fps to half refresh rate with reprojection set to auto in OXRDT then you'll notice that rotational head movements are smooth (this is the vsync working) but translational head movements are not.

If you're not exactly on half refresh rate then it will be ghosting in both rotational and translational head movements. This is why if you can't make refresh rate and don't want to use reprojection it's better to lock to half refresh (45fps for 90Hz) than to be running at 75fps.

Note that locking the framerate outside of the VR render stack isn't advisable but it is a workaround that can work. Much better to be able to beat refresh rate of you want stable image quality.

Edited by edmuss

15 hours ago, edmuss said:

I have nothing against motion reprojection but currently the implementation in OXR for DCS simply isn't as good as it is in SVR.

In SVR the only reprojection artifacts I see on the A10 is the right wing pitot tube tip distorting, in OXR it's the HUD frame, cockpit frames, MFD glare shields, MFD text, cockpit release handles, wing edges and all weapons mounted. Rotor blades are absolutely atrocious and cause distortion across the entire cockpit due to the shadows.  That is why I refuse to use it for now.

If they can sort that out then I'll have no issues using it as I'll be able to run more resolution and higher details 🙂

Might be placebo on my end but MR seems improved since I updated. Rotor blade distortion was less noticeable and bearable, interfering less with the IHADSS when looking through the blades. My preference is still the rotor delete in 3Dmigito but it seems improved to me. 

The smoothness of MR is still my go to, despite a few compromises like artifacting in clouds for example. I also find text clearer to read under motion with MR than without. Certainly worth any user experimenting with imo (not that I'm suggesting you're saying otherwise!)