OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

13 minutes ago, Jive said:

Might be placebo on my end but MR seems improved since I updated. Rotor blade distortion was less noticeable and bearable, interfering less with the IHADSS when looking through the blades. My preference is still the rotor delete in 3Dmigito but it seems improved to me. 

The smoothness of MR is still my go to, despite a few compromises like artifacting in clouds for example. I also find text clearer to read under motion with MR than without. Certainly worth any user experimenting with imo (not that I'm suggesting you're saying otherwise!)

Thanks for the heads up, I've not updated to the global installation version yet so I'm still on 0.6.3 so probably well behind the curve!  Will get onto the latest version and test again 🙂

Testing things last night with the albedo texture supersampling shader mod really cleaned up the text in the cockpit when running at lower resolution.  At 60% I have enough overhead to turn on MSAA and the text is almost as clear as 100%.  It's always still swings and roundabouts though, you have to rob Peter to pay Paul, it just depends on which one charges less interest % 😄

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

32 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Thanks for the heads up, I've not updated to the global installation version yet so I'm still on 0.6.3 so probably well behind the curve!  Will get onto the latest version and test again 🙂

Testing things last night with the albedo texture supersampling shader mod really cleaned up the text in the cockpit when running at lower resolution.  At 60% I have enough overhead to turn on MSAA and the text is almost as clear as 100%.  It's always still swings and roundabouts though, you have to rob Peter to pay Paul, it just depends on which one charges less interest % 😄

There's been no recent changes for MR that I could see.

• Like 1

i9-13900k (stock), ASUS TUF 4090 OC, Gigabyte Z790 UD AX, Corsair Vengeance Black 64GB 5200MHz DDR5, 1 x 1TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x 2TB WD_BLACK SN850x GEN4 NVMe, 1 x SanDisk SSD PLUS 1 TB SATA III 2.5 Inch Internal SSD, Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 1650W PCIe GEN 5.0 ATX3.0 PSU, Corsair AIO iLink cooler, Corsair Graphite 780t Full Tower ATX Case (White), Meta Quest Pro VR headset, Samsung Odyssey Neo G9 49" UltraWide Dual Quad HD 240Hz Curved Gaming Monitor, Thrustmaster Viper Mission Pack, Thrustmaster Cougar F-16 throttle, Thrustmaster Warthog throttle and stick, Thrustmaster F-18 stick, Thrustmaster TPR rudder, Winwing ICP, Edifer e25HD Luna HD speakers. 1 Gbps uplink and downlink FTTP. Windows 11. Hot tub, hot wife. Living the dream!

20 hours ago, Youda said:

Thanks a lot for this guide!

But why such hostility against motions reprojection users? Many of us simply prefer little bit more details or resolution but suffer nausea from raw 45 FPS so we use motions reprojection to make up for the lost smootheness. It is better than running the game on lowest to achieve true 90 FPS, and even then there are only few graphic cards on the market that can do it. Majority of hardware will not be able to output 90 FPS for a 4K headset such as the Reverb G2 even on lowest settings, so the motion reprojection is the only way to have smooth look-around.

Because it doesn't work?

Depends.  Let's assume your headset is running at 90hz.  Stutter can occur at any fps between 45 and 90fps. 

At the lower end of that range -- 45-60 -- you get early frames.  In the upper end of that range, you get dropped frames. 

If you tend to run at the upper end of that range ,or if you're using SVR (which has its own issues) MR or some kind of frame-locking can improve the experience considerably imo. 

If you're running at the low end of that range, as I do, you're going to get microstutter.  Which isn't terrible in OXR.  Just a slight irregularity if you're looking straight down at the ground; feels like I'm riding a Harley (which I do when I'm not in DCS, maybe that's why it doesn't bother me).   Problem with MR is, I still get microstutter -- looks exactly the same to me -- and have to deal with MR artifact on top of that.  

I have MR set to "auto" so it's off in DCS, where I don't notice the microstutter anyway (too busy) but it comes on automatically in MSFS where the hope is, someday I can figure out how to make it work.  YMMV, depending on your settings.  

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

56 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

Because it doesn't work?

Depends.  Let's assume your headset is running at 90hz.  Stutter can occur at any fps between 45 and 90fps. 

At the lower end of that range -- 45-60 -- you get early frames.  In the upper end of that range, you get dropped frames. 

If you tend to run at the upper end of that range ,or if you're using SVR (which has its own issues) MR or some kind of frame-locking can improve the experience considerably imo. 

If you're running at the low end of that range, as I do, you're going to get microstutter.  Which isn't terrible in OXR.  Just a slight irregularity if you're looking straight down at the ground; feels like I'm riding a Harley (which I do when I'm not in DCS, maybe that's why it doesn't bother me).   Problem with MR is, I still get microstutter -- looks exactly the same to me -- and have to deal with MR artifact on top of that.  

I have MR set to "auto" so it's off in DCS, where I don't notice the microstutter anyway (too busy) but it comes on automatically in MSFS where the hope is, someday I can figure out how to make it work.  YMMV, depending on your settings.  

I have been locking my FPS via AMD adrenaline at the magic 46 number on the recommendation of an other member on here

Works really well

Oh and yes - Real friends don’t let their friends use Reprojection. I will die on this hill

08.05.2022 в 11:50, franzy666 сказал:

Hi

I don't know what i do wrong but i can't have DCS logo in the OpenComposite configuration window like you show in 4).

Anyone's help would be great

thanx

Capture.PNG

Same problem, how to solve it? Mb problem in Steam version of DCS?

55 minutes ago, SturmVogel said:

Same problem, how to solve it? Mb problem in Steam version of DCS?

You have to run DCS once in order for the open composite to pick up the profile.

Don't freak out if it starts in flat screen mode the first time, just run opencomposite.exe again, re-select OXR if you have to, and re-start DCS

So the sequence is

1. Run opencomposite.exe and select OXR
  2. Run DCS 
  3. Run opencomposite.exe again and you'll see your DCS profile.  Make any adjustments you need to.  
  • Like 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

Still cant get OpenXR to connect to DCS. Best I can get now is a black screen in VR.

ANY chance to get the first version of OpenXR? It actually worked flawlessly before all these updates came out. Getting sick of DCS and VR as a whole.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

I did all in the tutorial and get the following:

OpenXR Call failed, aborting.

C:\projects\openovr\DrvOpenXR\XrHMD.cpp:108 GetProjectionRaw.

Error code: -2

xrLocateViews(xr_session, &locateInfo, &state, XruEyeCount,

&viewCount, views)

Any idea?

30 minutes ago, zvina said:

I did all in the tutorial and get the following:

OpenXR Call failed, aborting.

C:\projects\openovr\DrvOpenXR\XrHMD.cpp:108 GetProjectionRaw.

Error code: -2

xrLocateViews(xr_session, &locateInfo, &state, XruEyeCount,

&viewCount, views)

Any idea?

Runtime error, usually wrong version of opencomposite, or a conflict with mods esp shader mods.  Occasionally caused by FSR

Maybe, just maybe we might get our loved NeckSafer back to both IL-2 and DCS together with OpenXR. No promises from NobiWan in his post ofc, but seems like he will try to get a version running - a million cudos to him for looking into it - a lot of necks will love him for it 😍😁

https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/67985-simple-tool-to-check-your-six/?do=findComment&comment=1185453

Cheers

• Like 2

Core i9 12900KF | ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-F GAMING WIFI | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 64GB DDR5 5200MHz | 3 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | MSI MAG 322CQR 32´ | VKB Gunfighter Mk.III MCG Pro | Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog Throttle | Thrusmaster T-Pendular Rudder | HP Reverb G2 | TrackIR 5 | Windows 11

26 minutes ago, hannibal said:

anyone has this openXR performance gain working with Oculus Rift S?

I tried on my Quest 2, the performance is more or less the same as Oculus API but it looks better, some less shimmering.

What I want to know if someone know how to fix the “fisheye” effect, tried change world scale on OpenXR option but nothing change

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

22 минуты назад, 5ephir0th сказал:

I tried on my Quest 2, the performance is more or less the same as Oculus API but it looks better, some less shimmering.

What I want to know if someone know how to fix the “fisheye” effect, tried change world scale on OpenXR option but nothing change

This is covered in the 1st post

I've actually gained performance with Quest 2. Plus OXR Toolkit gave me the colors which I always wanted and really nice shaking reduction (extremely helpful for a zoomed view).

Edited by Fiztex
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Fiztex said:

This is covered in the 1st post

I've actually gained performance with Quest 2. Plus OXR Toolkit gave me the colors which I always wanted and really nice shaking reduction (extremely helpful for a zoomed view).

Missed it, thanks, now i can use OpenXR

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

5 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

Still cant get OpenXR to connect to DCS. Best I can get now is a black screen in VR.

ANY chance to get the first version of OpenXR? It actually worked flawlessly before all these updates came out. Getting sick of DCS and VR as a whole.

If you mean the 0.6.3 OC_ACC standalone, see attached OVGME package 🙂
I'm still using this at the moment, mainly because I haven't found time to sort out the global installation gubbins yet.

OCXR_WMR_ACC.zip

• Thanks 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

5 hours ago, edmuss said:

If you mean the 0.6.3 OC_ACC standalone, see attached OVGME package 🙂
I'm still using this at the moment, mainly because I haven't found time to sort out the global installation gubbins yet.

OCXR_WMR_ACC.zip 2.57 MB · 2 downloads

ll give this a try and see  if it works, thanks!

Edit: yeah thats the stuff!! Works again perfectly and no troubleshooting involved...just turning on OpenComposite, drop these in the bin folder, turn off SteamVR in WMR,  turn DCS on. Easier than waking up in the morning.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM |Virpil TCS+ AH64D grip + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

My wallpaper and skins

Also, not sure if people were having issues with the AH-64D with the monocle disappearing on them...but the fix for that is to put DCS VR settings to desktop and square in the VR menu. Ultimately the latest OpenXR is out of the question for me as the first iteration worked perfectly.

Edited by Hammer1-1

My wallpaper and skins

22 hours ago, nikoel said:

I have been locking my FPS via AMD adrenaline at the magic 46 number on the recommendation of an other member on here

Works really well

Oh and yes - Real friends don’t let their friends use Reprojection. I will die on this hill

I trust you but I'm just not seeing it, with my setup at least. 

With MR off there's none of that MR 'sheen' that you get over some surfaces when it's on but when I turn my head while reading text it kind of blurs/ghosts a little as I do. Not offensively so but noticable. With MR on that text retains it's crispness throughout. 

I piggyback off @speed-of-heat's 3Dmigoto settings and his OXRT registry, everything looks great to me with MR on. There's a subtle sheen of MR artifact in the F-14 ACM panel buttons and when I fly through clouds but really the rest seems negligable to me. Of course I found the rotor blade issue absolutely horrendous but that's easily fixed by 3Dmigoto's apache rotor delete as you know.

With the above and 2x MSAA I find myself able to read all the F-14 instruments without needing them in my sweetspot, it's really nice, so I don't feel like I'm lacking clarity with MR on. 

21 час назад, DeltaMike сказал:

You have to run DCS once in order for the open composite to pick up the profile.

Don't freak out if it starts in flat screen mode the first time, just run opencomposite.exe again, re-select OXR if you have to, and re-start DCS

So the sequence is

1. Run opencomposite.exe and select OXR
  2. Run DCS 
  3. Run opencomposite.exe again and you'll see your DCS profile.  Make any adjustments you need to.  

Thx, finaly its work, gameplay much smoother w/o stuttring, but...

FPSmeter of DCS show same rates as SteamVR and no perfomance increases. Launch DCS from Steam with SteamVR option. Didnt install OpenXR Toolkit. Make 6 steps from original post (https://forum.dcs.world/topic/295123-update-284-final-openxr-guide-for-g2-g1-and-other-headsets/). 

How to increase perfomance, did Im need Toolkit?

4 hours ago, Jive said:

I trust you but I'm just not seeing it, with my setup at least. 

With MR off there's none of that MR 'sheen' that you get over some surfaces when it's on but when I turn my head while reading text it kind of blurs/ghosts a little as I do. Not offensively so but noticable. With MR on that text retains it's crispness throughout. 

I piggyback off @speed-of-heat's 3Dmigoto settings and his OXRT registry, everything looks great to me with MR on. There's a subtle sheen of MR artifact in the F-14 ACM panel buttons and when I fly through clouds but really the rest seems negligable to me. Of course I found the rotor blade issue absolutely horrendous but that's easily fixed by 3Dmigoto's apache rotor delete as you know.

With the above and 2x MSAA I find myself able to read all the F-14 instruments without needing them in my sweetspot, it's really nice, so I don't feel like I'm lacking clarity with MR on. 

Hey; If it works for you, you're happy, and OpenXR has helped you get more enjoyment out of DCS then that's all that matters and I am happy too. MR or no MR 

74 pages later, I still think that it's time well invested 

Edited by nikoel
  • Like 1

On 5/8/2022 at 12:11 AM, Falken2 said:

Thank you very much for sharing all this. OpenXR gave me a nice performance enhancement.

A slight minor negative effect, compared to steamVR, for me : slowly but surely, the view goes up, and I have to recenter from time to time  (I have a HOTAS button for this)

Other issue : sometimes WMR interferes : the WMR menu appears in the middle of a flight. Or a message : "do you really want to shut down your headset ?" Or the flashlight.

In the best case, I can pause DCS, use my HP G2 controller and make this stuff desappear and resume DCS. Sometimes I can't recover.

I think you should lock your mouse cursor to the DCS window...   and maybe set the headset to not go to sleep.

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

37 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

I think you should lock your mouse cursor to the DCS window...   and maybe set the headset to not go to sleep.

Thanks for your help. I already set my headset to never go to sleep. 

How do you lock the mouse to DCS window? DCS uses the whole screen, it renders the right eye image on the screen. The only way to put the mouse pointer out of DCS would be Alt-tab.