OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

There's a checkbox in DCS as I recall

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Ill be doing a new install of windows 10 and DCS this week. I have the G2 headset.

Once DCS is installed do I follow this guide exactly? Anything else I need to do?

1. Download latest release of OpenXR Tools for windows

2. Download OpenComposite.

3. Set runtime to OpenComposite.   Currently have this and dcs does not show up under app config. Seems to run ok with open XR though.

4. Delete/Rename your D3DCompiler_47.dll

5. Adjust settings in dcs and openxr

6. Dowbload OpenXR tool kit.

Hey fellas, anyone know how to increase pixel density? im using an oculus quest 2, i have the openXR toolkit, (not the openxr dev tools for WMR). i just find that a few dials and switches are a little blurry, and before using openxr, increasing the pixel density had helped make dials and such readable.

43 минуты назад, Aragorn426 сказал:

Hey fellas, anyone know how to increase pixel density? im using an oculus quest 2, i have the openXR toolkit, (not the openxr dev tools for WMR). i just find that a few dials and switches are a little blurry, and before using openxr, increasing the pixel density had helped make dials and such readable.

You can use the PD multiplier in the Oculus Debug Tool, you will need to do this each time Oculus services restart. This won't cause any issues with OXRT. Normally I set 1.1 for DCS.

Also, I'd recommend cutting the FOV in the same tool a bit to save resources and use 72 Hz mode without ASW. The thing is, the majority of the headsets are rendering a bigger mask than the one you can actually see to compensate for FOV artefacts when reprojection is being used. So, with 72 Hz mode on Quest you don't normally need reprojection, thus you can cut ~15% from that mask and use the resources elsewhere. Personally, I'm using 0.9 horizontal and 0.97 vertical, which saves me around 13% of rendering resources.

Edited by Fiztex

19 hours ago, SturmVogel said:

Thx, finaly its work, gameplay much smoother w/o stuttring, but...

FPSmeter of DCS show same rates as SteamVR and no perfomance increases. Launch DCS from Steam with SteamVR option. Didnt install OpenXR Toolkit. Make 6 steps from original post (https://forum.dcs.world/topic/295123-update-284-final-openxr-guide-for-g2-g1-and-other-headsets/). 

How to increase perfomance, did Im need Toolkit?

If gameplay is smoother, even at the same nominal FPS, then your performance has improved... 

• Thanks 1

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

The OpenXR seems to be giving me smoother performance but it has introduced a strange issue. If I lean left or right instead of my head moving in the cockpit the whole cockpit moves left so I cannot see all of the MFDs. Any ideas how to fix this?

Using a G2 headset

Thanks

I wish ED did something to optimise for VR. Every update we get hit on FPS. I had stable 45FPS before last update, now 30 barely. The same settings, just ED updated DCS...

(edit: I apologise, it was not ED and DCS update fault. At the same time I installed Orion 2 Winwing base and it's software were massively dropping frames).

Edited by MartinVoy
  • Thanks 1

System spec: Windows 10 Pro / i7-12700K / 3080Ti / 64GB / m2 SSD / Orion F16 Throttle / TM Warthog Stick / TPR Rudders / JetSeat / Reverb G2.

hace 12 minutos, Dustbag1969 dijo:

The OpenXR seems to be giving me smoother performance but it has introduced a strange issue. If I lean left or right instead of my head moving in the cockpit the whole cockpit moves left so I cannot see all of the MFDs. Any ideas how to fix this?

Using a G2 headset

Thanks

Try to reset your WMR enviroment and of course dont forget to run with enough light on your room. 

My headset works like you say when I forgot to turn the lights on.....or is not enough light in my room (like windows open at noon)

Intel i9 10850k - MSI Tomahawk 490z - 64 GB DDR4 3000 - HP Reverb G2 - MSI optix Mag321curv 4k monitor - MSI RTX 3080ti - Winwing Orion Throttle base plus F18 stick

14 minutes ago, MartinVoy said:

I wish ED did something to optimise for VR. Every update we get hit on FPS. I had stable 45FPS before last update, now 30 barely. The same settings, just ED updated DCS...

Not just me who felt something changed last patch.

I was gone at work for 2 weeks, came back and updated. Also did the whole setup again with the latest files.

Had buttersmooth performance before I left. With frames locked @ 45 FPS flying in Caucasus. First thing I noticed when I got back after update was stutter again. Did repair/clean etc, still no joy. Repair/clean another time and a completed reinstall of OpenXR with the newest tools. Everything seems to work as it should. But even with MR locked @ 30 FPS in the tool, and 40-50% overhead on my CPU, my 6900XT seems to have issues. Random times it misses target, and if I try to lock MR @ 45 FPS I get missed target all the time in the tool. Frametimes seems to be around 20-22 ms constantly.

Any tips?

Most settings are high, but MSAA = Off, same with shadows on the ground, and clouds set to standard.

8 minutes ago, TZeer said:

Not just me who felt something changed last patch.

I was gone at work for 2 weeks, came back and updated. Also did the whole setup again with the latest files.

Had buttersmooth performance before I left. With frames locked @ 45 FPS flying in Caucasus. First thing I noticed when I got back after update was stutter again. Did repair/clean etc, still no joy. Repair/clean another time and a completed reinstall of OpenXR with the newest tools. Everything seems to work as it should. But even with MR locked @ 30 FPS in the tool, and 40-50% overhead on my CPU, my 6900XT seems to have issues. Random times it misses target, and if I try to lock MR @ 45 FPS I get missed target all the time in the tool. Frametimes seems to be around 20-22 ms constantly.

Any tips?

Most settings are high, but MSAA = Off, same with shadows on the ground, and clouds set to standard.

Have you tried running at 60Hz in WMR? I have come to love it.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

47 minutes ago, MartinVoy said:

Odd I did not experience that myself my performance seemed about the same.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

40 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Have you tried running at 60Hz in WMR? I have come to love it.

Tested it before the patch. But as it is now I have no chance to reach such frames. It might work on Nevada. But I think I have to do some digging to find out what is taking up my GPU resources.

I'm still able to run 60-75 FPS on Caucasus after the last patch so no significant change in performance here.

• Like 1

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

I saw no change either.

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

This could help some more ppl here. I went back to the old version of OpenOVR, and followed this video as well + kegetys shader mod. SmoothAF for me.

Edited by Hammer1-1
  • Like 1

Intel 13900k @ 5.8ghz | 64gb GSkill Trident Z | MSI z790 Meg ACE| Zotac RTX4090 | Asus 1000w psu | Slaw RX Viper 2 pedals | VKB Gunfighter Mk3 MCE Ultimate + STECS/ Virpil MongoosT50+ MongoosT50CM | K-51 Collective + custom AH64D TEDAC | HP Reverb G2 | Windows 11 Pro | |Samsung Odyssey G9 | Next Level Racing Flight Seat Pro

The Boeing MQ-25A Sting Ray = Dirt Devil with wings
 My wallpaper and skins

Hi, i did everything according to the instruction. When i open Mixed Reality Portal, then open DCS - DCS does not connect with the headset. I still see only a MRP white room in my headset. DCS is opening full-screen on monitor.

(Enable Virtual Realisty Headset in DCS settings is obviously ticked.)

(SteamVR is uninstalled from PC)

What i do wrong? Why DCS does not start in the headset?

I use this new system-wide version you reccomend now, but looks like DCS simply do not use it, in configure window there is no DCS after first launch - OpenComposite did not pick up DCS profile. Do i need to copy this 3 files manually instead like in old version?

cheers

Edited by bies

2 hours ago, Dustbag1969 said:

Using a G2 headset

Thanks

I'm having the same issue with my Rift S when running OpenXR but the shift of the whole cockpit is rather small (but enough for me to drop OpenXR). 

2 hours ago, firefox121 said:

Try to reset your WMR enviroment and of course dont forget to run with enough light on your room. 

My headset works like you say when I forgot to turn the lights on.....or is not enough light in my room (like windows open at noon)

Reset WMR doesn't work for this and my room is well lit. 

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

Wow this was truly remarkable!! Easy to install! Worked wonders for my RTX 2080 and Reverb G2! The FPS might only be a little increased, but the image quality is better overall and the complete lack of stutters is fantastic!

• Like 1

GPU: PALIT NVIDIA RTX 3080 10GB | CPU: Intel Core i7-9700K 4,9GHz | RAM: 64GB DDR4 3000MHz
VR: HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS: TM Warthog Throttle and Stick

1 hour ago, bies said:

Hi, i did everything according to the instruction. When i open Mixed Reality Portal, then open DCS - DCS does not connect with the headset. I still see only a MRP white room in my headset. DCS is opening full-screen on monitor.

(Enable Virtual Realisty Headset in DCS settings is obviously ticked.)

(SteamVR is uninstalled from PC)

What i do wrong? Why DCS does not start in the headset?

I use this new system-wide version you reccomend now, but looks like DCS simply do not use it, in configure window there is no DCS after first launch - OpenComposite did not pick up DCS profile. Do i need to copy this 3 files manually instead like in old version?

cheers

I have my theories... this happens intermittently to some of us, fix seems to be to run opencomposite.exe again, re-select OXR, try again.  If that doesn't work try starting DCS without any arguments... easiest way to do that is to dig down into your install /bin folder, find DCS.exe and start from there.  Should work if VR is enabled within DCS

Ryzen 5600X (stock), GBX570, 32Gb RAM, AMD 6900XT (reference), G2, WInwing Orion HOTAS, T-flight rudder

22 minutes ago, DeltaMike said:

I have my theories... this happens intermittently to some of us, fix seems to be to run opencomposite.exe again, re-select OXR, try again.  If that doesn't work try starting DCS without any arguments... easiest way to do that is to dig down into your install /bin folder, find DCS.exe and start from there.  Should work if VR is enabled within DCS

It works! I selected SteamVR in OpenComposite and reselect OXR to allow it to download the .dll files. DCS works and profile has been made.

Thanks for help.

3 hours ago, Hammer1-1 said:

This could help some more ppl here. I went back to the old version of OpenOVR, and followed this video as well + kegetys shader mod. SmoothAF for me.

Thanks for this one. I went this way, it didn't give me much more FPS, but I regained smoothness. No more stutter. 
I must have done something with settings, some drivers, no idea. If some of us didn't see downgrade in FPS after an update, and some did, that's prsonal/system problem, not DCS fault I believe. 

Edited by MartinVoy

System spec: Windows 10 Pro / i7-12700K / 3080Ti / 64GB / m2 SSD / Orion F16 Throttle / TM Warthog Stick / TPR Rudders / JetSeat / Reverb G2.

I just installed everything and did the clean repair through Skates updater utility. I am getting these frequent crash messages now.

Capture.JPG

System Specs: 13900K, Strix Z790 Gaming E, MSI 4090 Sprim Liquid X  OC'd, 64gb Gskill Trident Z DDR5, Samsung 980 PRO M.2 SSD,. Winwing throttle, Winwing panels/MIPs and VKB GF3/MCGU stick, MFG Crosswind V2, HP REVERB G2.

Anyone has tried hand tracking? I have a Quest 2, it recognice my hands, setting up on mapping tool, make the correct bind on DCS but it doesnt work

NZXT H9 Flow Black | Intel Core i5 13600KF OCed P5.6 E4.4 | Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB C30 OCed 6600 C32 | nVidia GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition |  Western Digital SN770 2TB | Gigabyte GP-UD1000GM PG5 ATX 3.0 1000W | SteelSeries Apex 7 | Razer Viper Mini | SteelSeries Artics Nova 7 | LG OLED42C2 | Xiaomi P1 55"

Virpil T-50 CM2 Base + Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | WinWing Orion 2 F16EX Viper Throttle  | WinWing ICP | 3 x Thrustmaster MFD | Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals | Oculus Quest 2

DCS World | Persian Gulf | Syria | Flaming Cliff 3 | P-51D Mustang | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | Fw-109 A-8 | A-10C II Tank Killer | F/A-18C Hornet | F-14B Tomcat | F-16C Viper | F-15E Strike Eagle | M2000C | Ka-50 BlackShark III | Mi-24P Hind | AH-64D Apache | SuperCarrier

6 hours ago, BMGZ06 said:

I just installed everything and did the clean repair through Skates updater utility. I am getting these frequent crash messages now.

Capture.JPG

Likely culprit is a failure to follow instructions. Did not delete (or replace if using alternative method of installing latest build) D3DCompiler_47.dll 

Edited by nikoel