OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

33 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

I can't seem to have SteamVR from launching.  I do have this "unticked": 

4. Make sure that WMRP -> Settings -> Startup & Desktop -> Automatic Start Up -> SteamVR automatic launch is unticked

Is there some other config/setting for DCS, stop the Steam from launching?  When I kill off SteamVR, it also kills the DCS startup.  (I am following OP's install/launch directions).

TIA,

-Jav

Try copying the openvr DLL from the zip file back to the bin folder, sounds as though it's still reverting back to the standard openvr.

Out of interest have you got DCS installed in program files or in a separate location?

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

4 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Try copying the openvr DLL from the zip file back to the bin folder, sounds as though it's still reverting back to the standard openvr.

Out of interest have you got DCS installed in program files or in a separate location?

thanks, I'll try that shortly.  (the openvr dll).  My DSC is installed onto a separate nvme.m2 ssd (D:)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

This changed everything for me. DCS now is a new game. I'm running ultra smooth. It's impossible to get even a microstutter, not even when flying low level/high speed in Syria. Did not install XR Toolkit btw.

My settings:

JofMqgX.png

Screenshot-1.png

My rig: 12600K@5.1 / 3080ti FE / 32GB DDR4@3600 / M2 PCIE4 / G2 Reverb [No GPU OC]

Edited by Fulgrim
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, javelina1 said:

thanks, I'll try that shortly.  (the openvr dll).  My DSC is installed onto a separate nvme.m2 ssd (D:)

working great now.  it was the openvr.dll.  I had translated your install in to JSGME compatible package.  But like a dummy, my folder hierarchy was off by one level.  I can confirm this is working wonderful!  (I've been using the OpenXR toolkit with MSFS, and happy to see this setup now available for DCS).   Many thanks!!!!!

• Like 1

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

I have also quite good fps over Syria (55-65), but can't get silky smooth without reprojection argh.

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

So far this is working "OK" for me, but needs more tweaking. Overall I like the picture better.
I'm on a 12700k (OC'd to 5.2ghz all core, with singlecore boost up to 5.6) and a powercolor 6900xt OC'd to 2725mhz.
I'm still on a Reverb G1.

with SteamVR I had two "settings"
Using FSR I would go from a SteamVR res of about 2800x2800, and FSR requesting DCS to render at around 2200x2200. This worked surprisingly well. I also had reshade on top of it for some color fixing/removing the "DCS Cataracts" blur. The benefit here is that it was generally smooth, and fairly easy to spot contacts.

my other setting was to just run without FSR and run native 2100x2100 (ish) via SteamVR, which looks better (read: less pixelated), but wasn't quite as smooth flying. Again, reshade applied here.

Now comparing that to OpenXR? OpenXR is giving better performance. I'm able to run somewhere between 2800x2800 [80%] and 3100x3100 [100%] (per the OpenXR Tools for WMR "runtime" page) at 80-90fps in offline -- I use the A-10A CAS mission on caucuses as my initial "benchmark". HOWEVER I noticed all the eye alignment errors that seem somewhat common with us WMR users is even more exaggerated. Smoothness and Clarity are far better here, though they come at the cost of spotting pixels as they get smothered by not having the "reshade laser eye surgery"

My biggest complaint is not being able to properly re-center. I cleared my environment, but I traditionally used the VR recenter as a button my my HOTAS to adjust my head position sort of like adjusting a seat. This leaves me usually trying to stretch into a position, adjusting my real-life seat more than I like, or doing other funky things to try and get a proper "picture". If I use the VR recenter, it causes the VR zoom to be all jacked up and zoom off-center, as if the VR center between OpenXR and DCS aren't talking to one another.

If I could get Reshade, a non-cross eye feeling (I tried the DCS tool, and what worked for me in SteamVR did not work here -- usually I just have to swap top and bottom and make symmetrical from the left eye and I'm good to go, didn't work for me in OpenXR), and the ability to properly recenter, I'd be happy.

System: Intel 14700k on MSi z690 DDR4 pro, Arctic Liquid Frozer II 360mm AIO, 64gb ddr4-3600mhz CL16, Gigabyte 4090
Winwing Orion2 F-15EX/F-16EX combo, VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV, TM Warthog (Shelved)
2x 256gb Vertex 4 SSD's, 2x 1tb Sabrent NVMe PCIe 4.0 SSD's, 1x 4.0tb Silicon Power NVMe, 1x 4tb Seagate HDD
VR: Quest 3 (Current), HP Reverb G1 (Shelved)

To straighten out the off-centre view try the following: -

Close wmrp.

Clear environment data from wmr settings.

Open wmrp and reset the environment by looking side to side and then to floor as instructed. Don't set a seated centre position.

Close and reopen wmrp.

Open DCS.

Should now be realigned 🙂

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

Just now, winghunter said:

I always align with the DCS hotkey to reset VR view once i start DCS. Never had any issues.

That works fine as long as openxr is aligned with the headset. If it's not then the recentre hmd in DCS will centre it on the cockpit but if you use the HMCS or vr zoom views it will be offset.

I think if you start up openxr with the headset out of centre it screws about with the alignment.

I've found that if I set a seated centre position in wmrp it causes openxr to display as stretched cross-eyed images, the only way to clear this appears to be to clear environment data as above.

Ok i usually lay the headset on top of my head while starting up. So i dont have to wear it during startup but the headset is still aligned properly. If i dont do this i also notive an offset when zooming in VR

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

That's also what I do, perch it on my head and pull it down once I've clicked on the icon.

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 1

all I can say is that this is incredible.  butter smooth flights in the Apache.  Love it!  thanks man!

• Like 1

Ok, updated workaround if you suffer from crosseyed displays when using Openxr.

Previously my workaround would be: -

• Close WMRP and reset environment data from WMR settings.
  • Start up WMRP and reset the environment by looking side to side and then to the floor.
  • Do not set a seated centre position.
  • Start up DCS.

Now you can use the following: -

• Close WMRP.
  • Put your headset somewhere so that the front facing cameras can't recognise your environment (in your lap works nicely).
  • Start up WMRP, start up DCS - Important to keep the cameras obscured until DCS is fully booted.
  • Put on headset and press your HMD recentre binding if needed.

This allows you to have your seated positon set as per normal.

• Thanks 1

Well damn...  It works nice folks.  Thank you.

My framerate has not really moved at all...  BUT...  despite that the visuals are clearer AND smoother anyway.

/EDIT - The following issue has been solved by .6 release

One thing though...

It seems to have bugged the BoreSight of the IHADDS in the Apache.  I know...  doesn't seem likely but I think it has to do with the seated position in the VR environment.   Please bear with me as I explain :).

Before I ran DCS I did as suggested and I reset the env. dataand headset position in WMR, recreated that via the regular process in WMRP.  All good.  Launch DCS and 6dof is working...  I center the view and all is still good.

Jumped in the Apache and when I hit the IHADDS button on the MPD to light up the boresight scope circles they were black.  I looked to make sure that the brightness of them was turned up, it was, I moved my assigned axis and the knob moves...  still black though.  I try a few more times and nadda.  Boresight scope still black.

I jumped out and did all that again, jumped back in and they're still black BUT...  while playing around with it trying to see why I see them flash out of the corner of my eye...  bu tI look and they're black...

So...  I mess around with it for a bit thinking I'm imaginning things but they flash again.  

I start moving my head around and find that they are there...  but only appear when my head is pretty close to what I believe to be is where my VR environment thinks it's center is.  The problem is NOT that they are there but way out of allignment.  The problem is that they are just plain not there until I get into a specific location and then they appear.

So, after learning that... I reset everything and tried again and now I've got it so the VR env. center location is in a spot where I can see the boresight scope with my head in a normal position but I have to align the scope by placing my head in a spot that it didn't need to be in before...  AND the boresight doesn't produce a working sight picture.  The gun is a ways off.

My THEORY is that it's now aligning the sight, but for some reason the VR env thinks the helmet is rotated differently than it is, so the direction my VR headset is facing is not what the DCS thinks it is.  I'm sure that's not explained super well and of course I can't get screenshots of the process or results.  

Point being though...  The boresight at LEAST seems to be working somehow wonky directly after installation of OpenXR.

Aside from this specific boresight issues though...  faster, smoother, prettier...  better.  It's nice.  I just think the environment data is being interpretted differently though DCS and is wrecking the boresight procedure somehow.

Edited by M1Combat

Nvidia RTX3080 (HP Reverb), AMD 3800x

Asus Prime X570P, 64GB G-Skill RipJaw 3600

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

Got rid of the crosseye by setting the OpenXR toolkit in headset menu visibility to one eye, right eye only, no more crossed eyes when the toolkit menu is open either.  You can still shift it to move the menu where you want it in the right display.

One problem I seem to be having is NumPad 5 wants to cause a recenter, and I cannot for the life of me figure out where that control is coming from. Causes my view to get all wonky. Anyone have any ideas on where that control could be? It's not mapped in DCS to anything other than ICP functions for me. Seems to be connected to the mod somehow.

• nikoel changed the title to [Update 21/3 V0.5] OpenXR Quickstart Guide (For G2, G1 and other Headsets)

You checked your general and ui layer? for that 5 bind??

Saitek X-65F and Fanatec Club-Sport Pedals (Using VJoy and Gremlin to remap Throttle and Clutch into a Rudder axis)

54 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

You checked your general and ui layer? for that 5 bind??

I did. I do have the numpad 5 removed from all controls I can see in DCS. I have a feeling its somehow related to the mod, but I don't see anything I can configure that has keybinds enabled.

I'm still super happy with this performance and if I can't figure this numpad part out, its just motivation to make some button boxes.

More info on the IHADDS boresight issue...

I've cleared the environment data again and left the headset in my lap pointed down.  Once DCS was fully started and at the main menu I picked up the headset and put it on  my head.  This seemed to work fine regarding the initial boresight but a ways into the mission I played I realized I wasn't quite centered any more.  I hit my recenter bind and then just to check how the boresight system was doing I queue'd that up and again it was bugged.

I'm thinking the bug has something to do with the offset of the environment's center and the currently held VR center that you get after "centering" the headset in DCS.

I would love for someone to take another look at this if at all possible.

I know both of these things are relatively new here...  the Apache and the OpenXR install...  but the boresighting procedure was working reliably before I installed the .5 version of this OpenXR software.

Edited by M1Combat

56 minutes ago, M1Combat said:

More info on the IHADDS boresight issue...

I've cleared the environment data again and left the headset in my lap pointed down.  Once DCS was fully started and at the main menu I picked up the headset and put it on  my head.  This seemed to work fine regarding the initial boresight but a ways into the mission I played I realized I wasn't quite centered any more.  I hit my recenter bind and then just to check how the boresight system was doing I queue'd that up and again it was bugged.

I'm thinking the bug has something to do with the offset of the environment's center and the currently held VR center that you get after "centering" the headset in DCS.

I would love for someone to take another look at this if at all possible.

I know both of these things are relatively new here...  the Apache and the OpenXR install...  but the boresighting procedure was working reliably before I installed the .5 version of this OpenXR software.

Devs are on it https://discord.gg/SnB4Sr8k