OpenXR Guide - Deprecated - This time for real (▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿)

nikoel

• nikoel changed the title to OpenXR Quickstart Guide (For G2, G1 and other Headsets)

Not a lot to add to the above apart from: -

Performance on a 3070 isn't massively improved based on like for like settings, admittedly this isn't necessarily comparing apples for apples.  I am currently GPU bound with my steamvr settings (150% FSR 0.75 and high settings), but the improvement in clarity will allow reduction of settings.

Clarity is improved and shimmer is reduced, hard to quantify but essentially I would rougly equate it to having MSAA image quality but whilst retaining the performance of having it off.  Things just look nicer.

Motion smoothing so far doesn't work as well as steam/wmr with much more artifacting, inversely running without motion smoothing has less stutter for a given framerate.  With steamvr and no smoothing anything much less than 55fps is jumpy, in openxr I can get down to 45fps or so before witnessing the same sort of effect.  Obviously the image quality without smoothing is far superior due to no smearing or ghosted edges.  I have yet to test an updated .dll to see if it helps the smoothing situation.

I'll add more as I test and refine 🙂

• Like 6

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat
Shoehorned into a 43" x 43" cupboard.

Thanks, will try this out.

I have a 3070 with 2x MSAA enabled, 100% render,  but almost all settings to low except: clouds, water, textures medium

Edited by winghunter

DCS Web Editor - New 3D Mission Editor for DCS that runs in your browser

DCS Web Viewer free browser based mission planner / viewer

dcs web editor new(2).png
4090 RTX, 13700KF, water cooled

Excellent Quick Guide Thankyou.

Added files openvr_api, opencomposite, D3DCompiler_47 downloaded from the OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.4.zip file on the v.04  

OpenCompositeACC release page.

All working on G2 with AMD 6900XT plus OpenXR Toolkit.

AMD 7800X3D, MSI PRO X670-P WIFI (AM5)32GB RGB DDR5 6000MHz Nvidia 4090

HP Reverb G2

HOTAS Virpil CM3 Joystick Throttle & Pedals

The guide is fantastic! It's very important for people like me who don't know anything about programming.

What would be really great: a YouTube video describing the process.
Maybe there is someone who has the time to make a video.

• Like 3

Further updates on this, following the latest OB update I cleaned DCS thoroughly and tested this back to back with vanilla.

In addition to the improved clarity and smoothness I witnessed a solid 5-10 fps uplift.

The VR shader mod from Kegety (updated to 2.7.11 by Taz1004) also works in openxr, only minor performance gains from it but it improved gpu frametime stability with less spiking.

Ryzen7 7800X3D / RTX3080ti / 64GB DDR5 4800 / Varjo Aero / Leap Motion / Kinect Headtracking
TM 28" Warthog Deltasim Hotas / DIY Pendular Rudders / DIY Cyclic Maglock Trimmer / DIY Abris / TM TX 599 evo wheel / TM T3PA pro / DIY 7+1+Sequential Shifter / DIY Handbrake / Cobra Clubman Seat

26 minutes ago, edmuss said:

Further updates on this, following the latest OB update I cleaned DCS thoroughly and tested this back to back with vanilla.

In addition to the improved clarity and smoothness I witnessed a solid 5-10 fps uplift.

The VR shader mod from Kegety (updated to 2.7.11 by Taz1004) also works in openxr, only minor performance gains from it but it improved gpu frametime stability with less spiking.

thanks for the kegetys mod. i did not know it was compatible. need to try that tomorrow. just one question: with the kegetys mod, is the clarity of the image is still good. because what i like with openxr is the clarity of the image versus steamvr

It looked identical to me, I disable the simple canopy glass though as it (certainly used to) produce some nasty baked in reflections on the instruments.

Clarity of the rest of it still seemed awesome 🙂

Just now, edmuss said:

It looked identical to me, I disable the simple canopy glass though as it (certainly used to) produce some nasty baked in reflections on the instruments.

Clarity of the rest of it still seemed awesome 🙂

ok thanks for that will implement kegetys tomorrow.

i also tried to limit my fps in the graphics.lua at 45 because with openxr i only have little ghosting. i guess i must improve my graphical part as i have 9900k OC with 2070super with a G2 

For anyone who uses OVGME, attached is a mod package to load up which will drop everything in the right place, as long as you set up OVGME correctly then you can very quickly enable/disable this mod without breaking everything!

edit: the following bits are not needed now and the current release of OXR toolkit has the fix in it 🙂

If you can't get the openxr toolkit menu to appear in the headset then use the attached updated XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_toolkit.dll. Backup the original and copy this into: -

C:\Program Files\OpenXR-Toolkit

You should then be able to access the settings menu using the on screen menu hotkeys as defined by the openxr toolkit companion app.

OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.4.zip

Edited by edmuss
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, edmuss said:

For anyone who uses OVGME, attached is a mod package to load up which will drop everything in the right place, as long as you set up OVGME correctly then you can very quickly enable/disable this mod without breaking everything!

If you can't get the openxr toolkit menu to appear in the headset then use the attached updated XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_toolkit.dll. Backup the original and copy this into: -

You should then be able to access the settings menu using the on screen menu hotkeys as defined by the openxr toolkit companion app.

OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.4.zip 2.58 MB · 6 downloads XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_toolkit.dll 807.5 kB · 3 downloads

thanks !

• Like 1

Its amazing.

• More stable VR tracking with G2
  • Faster startup time, less system hog
  • Much better visual clarity
  • And i can finally turn on high textures on my 3070

Edited by winghunter
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, edmuss said:

OCXR_WMR_ACC_v0.4.zip 2.58 MB · 14 downloads XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_toolkit.dll 807.5 kB · 9 downloads

Tried that .dll, in the DCS menu this works great (Ctrl+F2 opens ok) but when loading any mission I get this error attached.

Capture.JPG

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

You're better off asking in the discord, I'm not a dev and not come across that error before. The devs are very active though and you'll probably get an answer 🙂

Yeah thanks now it works, found different .dll from Discord and that works for some reason. Attached .dll from mbucchia.

edit: have to say, this OpenXR seems to be very promising! No more SteamVR I say.

XR_APILAYER_NOVENDOR_toolkit.dll

Edited by coldViPer

Asus Prime X570-P * Ryzen 5800X3D + Scythe Fuma cooler * RTX 3080 TUF OC 10Gb * Corsair 64GB DDR4 3600MHz * Samsung 980 pro 1Tb + 2Tb nvme * Samsung 850 EVO 512Gb SSD * Corsair RM850x V2/2018 * HP Reverb G2 * CH Fighterstick/Pedals/Throttle * Win11

vor einer Stunde schrieb edmuss:

You're better off asking in the discord, I'm not a dev and not come across that error before. The devs are very active though and you'll probably get an answer 🙂

Hi,
If I want to use OVGME, what do I have to do from the steps described in the guide?

1)
2)
3)
and so on...?

hey boys.

as i am experimenting oxr. fpsvr is not working anymore. how do you check your cpu/gpu frametimes in game with oxr. i want to get rid of small stutters (or Kind of ghosting with G2) but i want to check frametimes before.

thanks for help

50 minutes ago, A.F. said:

Hi,
If I want to use OVGME, what do I have to do from the steps described in the guide?

1)
2)
3)
and so on...?

All OVGME does is place the files in the correct places. It’s still up to you to do the rest of the steps

There has been a lot of progress in the last two days. I will update the guide to better reflect it and fix a couple of my mistakes 

• Like 1

The openxr dev toolkit has a performance overlay that will give you the frametimes and resulting fps.

If you don't have smoothing enabled which I'd recommend then you can use the built in DCS fps counter to give you performance data.

There is an upscaling option within the mod but it's currently a bit broken, hopefully will be sorted in the next release.

Just now, edmuss said:

The openxr dev toolkit has a performance overlay that will give you the frametimes and resulting fps.

If you don't have smoothing enabled which I'd recommend then you can use the built in DCS fps counter to give you performance data.

There is an upscaling option within the mod but it's currently a bit broken, hopefully will be sorted in the next release.

ok i must check oxr dev toolkit

i only have oxr at the moment.

i am going to check that.

thanks 

19 minutes ago, nikoel said:

All OVGME does is place the files in the correct places. It’s still up to you to do the rest of the steps

There has been a lot of progress in the last two days. I will update the guide to better reflect it and fix a couple of my mistakes 

Actually I only installed this file below with JSGME and it worked. No fresh install of DCS. I dont have open composite installed either.

I had openXR developer tools and openXR toolkit installed due to MSFS.

• Like 1

Damn guys.... that is even making the Apache buttery smooth for me. Looks like the way to go ... if it gets a little more stable.

One thing I noticed, the fiddling with the overlay killed the monocle overlay for me. It's there one session, gone the other, could not figure out what's the reason behind it.

Guess I will keep on testing.

Edit: I believe the "Monocle issue" has something to do with the HMD centering. Sometimes I see the outlines of the Helmet, sometimes I do. With recenter I can change that

Edited by Lt_Jaeger
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, winghunter said:

Actually I only installed this file below with JSGME and it worked. No fresh install of DCS. I dont have open composite installed either.

I had openXR developer tools and openXR toolkit installed due to MSFS.

Let's just say you've drunk stumbled your way across a busy motorway and made to the other side

You literally installed Open Composite

Edited by nikoel