AH-64D VR

Zap921

Starting this post just before release so that VR pilots can update this thread with comments, bugs, tips, etc.  New release and not sure when everyone will get a chance to download it and try.  I would really like to know how it looks in VR and how it's working out for being user friendly.  Looking forward to reading some updates on this as I only fly in VR with a Rift S.  Pretty exciting release for sure!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

No, I'll definitely fly it as soon as I can but would like to know more about what everyone else is seeing and experiencing in VR since there is so many setups out there and tips for tweaking VR.  Damn right, I've been waiting in the wings just like everyone else..

• Like 1

I have my VR just where I like it. No mods, no more tweaks. Kind of nice - just flying. I just turn fps counter off and if I get a pleasant experience I am golden. I much prefer flying to tweaking myself.

• Like 4

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I'm working today, so won't get a chance to fly it in VR til late tonight probably. Looking forward to seeing what everyone thinks. If the framerate / performance is there, I think it has potential to be the very best VR module. I've flown basically all the modules in VR, and I think the Hind takes the cake currently. I don't really like the Mi-24 itself that much, but the experience of sitting in the old Soviet-designed cockpit, the texturing, the weight / feeling of the flight model, and the low-level flight experience really makes you feel like you're at the controls of a war machine. I think the Apache can top it. Pretty pumped. Thanks for starting the thread @Zap921.

Edited by davidrbarnette
  • Like 2

It's probably going to be awesome in VR, 1:1 head movement really shines when using a HMD. I'm not a big helo fan, so it's probably not going to be the first thing I'll try when the patch drops (should be lost of improvements for fixed wing in there, as well), but I do have it, so I'm going to have fun with it eventually.

I just hope the cockpit is the correct scale in VR and not super huge where it feels like you are sitting in a living room lol

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

Can’t wait to fly it as I’m a big Apache fan, although due to low level flying and complexity of the aircraft I don’t expect the VR experience to be as smooth as typical jets. But let’s hope that I’m wrong about this. 

PC: 5800X3D/4090, 11700K/3090, 9900K/2080Ti.

Joystick bases: TMW, VPC WarBRD, MT50CM2, VKB GFII, FSSB R3L

Joystick grips: TM (Warthog, F/A-18C), Realsimulator (F-16SGRH, F-18CGRH), VKB (Kosmosima LH, MCG, MCG Pro), VPC MongoosT50-CM2

Throttles: TMW, Winwing Super Taurus, Logitech Throttle Quadrant, Realsimulator Throttle (soon)

VR: HTC Vive/Pro, Oculus Rift/Quest 2, Valve Index, Varjo Aero, https://forum.dcs.world/topic/300065-varjo-aero-general-guide-for-new-owners/

3 minutes ago, Supmua said:

Can’t wait to fly it as I’m a big Apache fan, although due to low level flying and complexity of the aircraft I don’t expect the VR experience to be as smooth as typical jets. But let’s hope that I’m wrong about this. 

Plus side to helos.....

You can turn view range down since seeing 60 miles doesn't help you lol

• Like 4

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

1 hour ago, JG27_Arklight said:

I just hope the cockpit is the correct scale in VR and not super huge where it feels like you are sitting in a living room lol

you know you can adjust that with the IPD scale in the VR tab right?

10 minutes ago, clayvt said:

you know you can adjust that with the IPD scale in the VR tab right?

It doesn't seem to do much though.

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

6 minutes ago, clayvt said:

I found it quite useful in getting the Hornet cockpit to feel right.  I think mine is sitting around 55?

Hmm..I'll give it a second look. Thanks for the heads up!

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

Rough start.

Rift-S
Running on I5 6 core 4.0GHz
3070Ti
64GB
Dedicated SSD

I need to see what kind of FPS it's turning out.

With all of the pretty physics objects, i.e.  IHADSS, Helmet, Dashboard Jiggle, Swinging Hook, this is running really rough.  The slowest module yet. As I said I'm going to need to see what kind of FPS I'm getting and start dialing back.  It feels like sub 30, maybe sub 25.

Ouch!

UPDATE:
With FPS turned on, it dips to 10 FPS, sometimes completely bottoming out to 1-0.  I can get it to eventually stabilize to 40FPS in single player.  In multiplayer, it chugs along at 10FPS.  If I get far enough away from other players, it starts creeping back up close to 40FPS.

Other modules start off at 40FPS with few issues.

Edited by IzeHouze
additional info
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, JG27_Arklight said:

Im not in home, did you check the scale, is it ok? I hope yes.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

50 minutes ago, IzeHouze said:

Rough start.

Rift-S
Running on I5 6 core 4.0GHz
3070Ti
64GB
Dedicated SSD

I need to see what kind of FPS it's turning out.

With all of the pretty physics objects, i.e.  IHADSS, Helmet, Dashboard Jiggle, Swinging Hook, this is running really rough.  The slowest module yet. As I said I'm going to need to see what kind of FPS I'm getting and start dialing back.  It feels like sub 30, maybe sub 25.

Ouch!

This is the kind of things I wanted to hear about.  Thanks for posting it.

• Like 1

OK, setting the textures to low helped for me. But seeing my 2080Ti buckle in Caucasus was a bit disconcerting (with fps well below 5 and objects jerkily moving about, no less). Things went back to nice on low/low, and the visuals were still well enough. Using a Vive Pro. Will change to the Vive Pro 2 later, but am a bit hesitant now.

18 minutes ago, YoYo said:

Im not in home, did you check the scale, is it ok? I hope yes.

Been on work conf calls ever since that post. Typical LOL

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

34" ASUS PG348

7 hours ago, JG27_Arklight said:

the in game IPD setting alters the scale. if you have scaling issues, try changing that. it's nothing to do with actual IPD, the name is misleading

edit: I scrolled down a bit in the thread and didn't see anyone else mention it. obviously I should have looked further

Edited by Sabre_Ewan

5600x

3080 10GB

Rever G1

Works absouloutly fine so far. Haven't tested flir though. 

GeForce RTX 4090 Founders Edition - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D - 64Gb RAM - Win11 - HP Reverb G1 - Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS (40cm extension) - VKB Sim T-Rudder MKIV Pedals

My Oculus Quest 2 is loosing track every 20sec or so.... so I need to reset the view to look foward.
Does not happens with any other module.

Other then that i have good fps on my system.

Edited by Ulvar40

11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-11900K @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz | Asus tuf gaming B560M-Plus | RGB DDR4 3200MHz 64GB Asus GeForce RTX 2060 DUAL EVO | HP Reverb G2 | HOTAS Warthog

[MA] Ulvar - YouTube

Got it all installed and been mapping my controllers using Wags video as a guide. Have to call it a day now and resume tomorrow. Dinner and wife time now. Anxious to see this puppy in VR and start learning it.

Edited by dburne
  • Like 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

not on VR, however performance is quite bad on my end.

Am using: i7-6700k, rtx3070ti, 32gb of ram and DCS installed on an nvme ssd and currently playing on a 1080p monitor and I am getting about 40fps in Caucasus with many dips bellow 30 and some stuttering, while not unplayable, I tried out the f16 and f14 in the same setting and got easily 100+ fps which points the finger at the apache having some kind of effect on my end. 

I don't see how I could get any good VR performance with these results. 

Is there one setting that might perhaps be totally killing the performance for me ? I don't think that's necessarily it but if I had the option, I would like to disable all the animated eye candy in the cockpit.

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?