AH-64D VR

Zap921

3090, G2, fholger's openvr fsr mod, smooth as butter and so easy to read the displays, wish the hornet was this good!

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

First flights with apache gave me horrible FPS. Turns out my preload radius was set to max. I don't remember putting it that high myself, but who knows? It did not cause problems with any of my other modules.

Anyway, check that maybe. With a sensible value fps went back to normal.

7700K@5Ghz, 32GB 3600 CL16, 3080.

The VR is excellent, first time I pop in the cockpit was like "OMG the IHADSS is awesome and so realistic, same for the NV google on the helmet. 

The cockpit is big! like in the A10.

The fps are smooth. I'm playing on oculus cv1, msaa x2, ss 1.5 and everything on high.

My rig: Ryzen 5800x, RTX3700, 32go RAM.

Great work ED. I'm just struggling with binding all the button.... on my wartog it is horrible, the worst module for that. Not the fault of ED, it's like that IRL.

Edited by Elunnia

47 minutes ago, Elunnia said:

I'm just struggling with binding all the button.... on my wartog it is horrible, the worst module for that. Not the fault of ED, it's like that IRL

Use the top two toggle switches on the warthog throttle base as modifiers, when you flip one of them up add a new key bind once done flip it back down and you can revert to normal binds.

I set mine up as electronics and the other as mechanics, so I flip the left switch up and bind all the batteries and lighting and what ever else. Flip the right one up it’s engines, fuel etc. l also use a 3rd modifier and that is the red button on the front of the left throttle, this allows be to double up on the number of hat switched, things like that.

• Like 1

Anyone running an Valve Index? I'm experiencing some Problems. I don't think that it is the Apache, but Steam VR.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

10 minutes ago, Zarma said:

Shouldnt the IHADSS be focused on infinite distance ?

It's impossible. in VR helmets everything is focused at the same distance. 

The depth perception in VR comes only from stereoscopic vision, but since IHADSS is only in one eye, you don't have that.

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

6 minutes ago, some1 said:

The depth perception in VR comes only from stereoscopic vision, but since IHADSS is only in one eye, you don't have that.

You can choose wether the IHADSS is rendered left, right or in both eyes. It's in the special options tab.

"Muß ich denn jedes Mal, wenn ich sauge oder saugblase den Schlauchstecker in die Schlauchnut schieben?"

12 minutes ago, some1 said:

Yes, IHADSS (and aircraft HUD for that matter) symbology is always focused to infinity in real life. Then you pick up VR playing the sim, and to save your eye from focusing back and forth, everything else is also focused to infinity. So some1 is also right, maybe this explains it a bit more. The "same distance" is infinity in this case.

Edited by Razor18

5 minutes ago, Hiob said:

You can choose wether the IHADSS is rendered left, right or in both eyes. It's in the special options tab.

That won't fix the focus problem since there's no technical way to fix it. 

If you set it to both eyes, then it will be separated in stereo like it's located in the infinity, but it will still remain in focus all the time. Even if you look at the gauges inside the cockpit it will remain sharp and obstruct your view of the instruments, instead of appearing more like a smear on the glasses. 

Personally I find "HMD to both eyes" feels better in fixed wing aircraft, but there the HMD is automatically disabled when you look inside the cockpit. Here the IHADSS is intended to be on all the time, and drawing it only in one eye helps with cockpit readability. 

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

2 minutes ago, some1 said:

That won't fix the focus problem since there's no technical way to fix it. 

If you set it to both eyes, then it will be separated in stereo like it's located in the infinity, but it will still remain in focus all the time. Even if you look at the gauges inside the cockpit it will remain sharp and obstruct your view of the instruments, instead of appearing more like a smear on the glasses. 

Personally I find "HMD to both eyes" feels better in fixed wing aircraft, but there the HMD is automatically disabled when you look inside the cockpit. Here the IHADSS is intended to be on all the time, and drawing it only in one eye helps with cockpit readability. 

I think it is focused to infinity in RL too. Similar to the HUD in cars or other Aircraft. I remember Casmo (RL Apache Pilot) saying, that the "trick" is to concentrate more on the left eye if you want to see the cockpit. I think there is no way of looking "through" it by focus, as you would with a smear on the windscreen.

Played 2 hours in a multiplayer server with 8 or 9 other apaches taking out ground targets. Not a single stutter. So awesome.

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

18 minutes ago, Hiob said:

I think there is no way of looking "through" it by focus, as you would with a smear on the windscreen.

In reality it's the reverse situation of a "smear on the windscreen", but the same principle applies. With a windscreen you look at something that's far away (outside), while the dirt on the windscreen (near object) is out of focus. With the real IHADSS, when you look at the instruments (near object), the IHADSS is out of focus. It's hard to visualize, there's nothing like it that we use in daily life. 

Either way, it's an academic discussion as there is no technical way to simulate this effect in VR. Just play with the settings in DCS (left, right or both, with eyepiece or without) and pick the one that feels best for you. 

2 minutes ago, Wychmaster said:

Yeah, I am using an Index. Whats your exact problem?

The visuals are fine, but when I move my head, the image gets warped and distorted. Feels like the zoom or fov is off. It's not only in the cockpit. The floating 2D Menu screen is also warped when I move my head. I assume it is my Steam VR settings, but I didn't change anything and have no clue where to start looking.

Something is weird here. Some ppl just having a blast. Huge fps and all of that... and others like me who can't even fly in 2d.

If I try to do the hot start on syria  (2D and the one with the f16 taking off) If I look 90º left (where second AI apache is wating for me) DCS goes from 80/75fps down to 16 fps in a strange and sudden lag spike. I can't even fly that mission cause If I try to follow the route my fps are up and down like crazy (not even using FLIR) I'm using the High preset which was just fine for me even in VR. The same happened when Hind launched. I was unable to get more than 30fps in vr.

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Hiob:

The visuals are fine, but when I move my head, the image gets warped and distorted. Feels like the zoom or fov is off. It's not only in the cockpit. The floating 2D Menu screen is also warped when I move my head. I assume it is my Steam VR settings, but I didn't change anything and have no clue where to start looking.

I havn't experienced this. Have you tried a DCS repair? Graphics drivers up to date?

In the SteamVR settings there is an option to calculate intermediate frames (can't remeber the exact name). Try disabling this if you havnt already done this. If you have some patience, I can make a screen of my SteamVR settings later.

5 minutes ago, ECTAE said:

Something is weird here. Some ppl just having a blast. Huge fps and all of that... and others like me who can't even fly in 2d.

If I try to do the hot start on syria  (2D and the one with the f16 taking off) If I look 90º left (where second AI apache is wating for me) DCS goes from 80/75fps down to 16 fps in a strange and sudden lag spike. I can't even fly that mission cause If I try to follow the route my fps are up and down like crazy (not even using FLIR) I'm using the High preset which was just fine for me even in VR. The same happened when Hind launched. I was unable to get more than 30fps in vr.

Have you deleted the metashaders and fxo folders in your savegame folder?

Try it, if you haven't

1 minute ago, Wychmaster said:

I havn't experienced this. Have you tried a DCS repair? Graphics drivers up to date?

In the SteamVR settings there is an option to calculate intermediate frames (can't remeber the exact name). Try disabling this if you havnt already done this. If you have some patience, I can make a screen of my SteamVR settings later.

You mean motion smoothing?

Everything should be uptodate, but I will try reinstalling the drivers later.

I would appreciate to take a look at your settings. Thank you!

1 hour ago, some1 said:

I think this is a massive limitation in current VR HMD technology, which can't be solved. A varifocal lens would be a solution, but that only will be in the future HMDs.

Right now your eye can't "feel" the depth because everything on the display is in focus, so the lens in your eye does NOT have to bend as it would in RL. When using stereoscopic image with both eyes open then the depth perception is feasible, but using only one eye it will be corrupted. That's why the monocle's symbology (which should be collimated to infinity) is always sharp even when try to look at very close distances. This is higly disturbing (for me).

In the AH64 one thing is also very weird and causing eye-strain: the protruding TADS display at the CP/G seat. It is MUCH closer to the viewpoint than anything else in other modules, so it's very distracting (at least for my eyes) to switch between the different depths.

I had very high hopes in the AH64 in VR, but it seems that current HMD lens technology is not good enough for this, sorry.

Edited by St4rgun
  • PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

Try it, if you haven't

Yeap done it before first flight.  Got latest Nvidia drivers, got re-bar on and GPU scheduler off.

1 hour ago, Hiob said:

Try it, if you haven't

Hmmm, I went to do this and I saw another folder metashaders2 with access date of yesterday... does this get deleted too?

Just now, Recluse said:

Hmmm, I went to do this and I saw another folder metashaders2 with access date of yesterday... does this get deleted too?

yes, that's the one.

Be aware, that this is not magical solution to all problems. But the shaders are compiled from scratch when you delete them, which can be beneficial if you encounter any rendering issues after any changes - especially to the game and/or GPU-drivers.

6 hours ago, Elunnia said:

The cockpit is big! like in the A10.

Ughh....was sort of hoping it was scaled like the real one I sat in a while ago. Which certainly didn't feel "big".

Hopefully the IPD adjustment can rectify it.

Edited by JG27_Arklight

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

12 hours ago, Eldur said:

I was amazed by the monocle, there's even reflections happening on the thing the sight glass is attached to. Hats off, ED even thought of the details here!

This reflection is a thing that annoys me the most in VR. It isn't there in 2D or at least not that pronounced.
In VR it's like i always have a little mirror in the lower right corner of my right eye.

• Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!