AH-64D VR

Zap921

I like the IHADSS monocle, but I find there is some sort of 'nose piece' (or 3d artifact) in the bottom/center of the HMD when I move my head left and right.  Does anyone else notice this?  

Modules: A10C, AV8, M2000C, AJS-37, MiG-21, MiG-19, MiG-15, F86F, F5E, F14A/B, F16C, F18C, P51, P47, Spitfire IX, Bf109K, Fw190-D, UH-1, Ka-50, SA342 Gazelle, Mi8, Christian Eagle II, CA, FC3

2 hours ago, NakedSquirrel said:

I like the IHADSS monocle, but I find there is some sort of 'nose piece' (or 3d artifact) in the bottom/center of the HMD when I move my head left and right.  Does anyone else notice this?  

Yes, like a little piece of cloth, at the nose/throat area, visible if you look down.

Edited by ARM505

This thing feels like it was made for VR. Just as expected. I have to say that I use a quiet powerful machine (RTX3090 + Valve Index)

What I have experienced so far during my first simple flights in SP is an absolute blast and this does not even come close.

Absolutely worth investing in hardware, especially controls!

• Like 5

NZXT H400i case

i9 9900k @ 4,9GHz (cooled by NZXT Kraken X62 4x140Fan - Push/Pull)

Asus RoG Maximus XI Gene with 32GB G.Skill CL14

Samsung M.2 970Pro 1000GB

ZOTAC RTX 2080ti Triple Fan 11GB

34" RoG Swift Curved TFT

runs smooth like Beck's Gold :D

HTC VIVE pro eYe (still freaking out!)

Thrust Master HOTAS Warthog on MONSTERTECH table mounts

15cm Stick Extension + red spring by SAHAJ 8 (<-- love them)

(TM F-18C ordered)

TPR (Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder)

T.Flight USAF Headset

4 hours ago, Sr. said:

Do you have something bound or double bound to VR Spyglass zoom... under UI from the controls page.

Thanks I'll look into that. 

Intel i9 7980XE @4.4Hz

64GB DDR4 RAM at 2666MHz

GTX 1080Ti with 11GB GDDR5X

Reverb Pro HMD

HOTAS: TM Warthog throttle / TM F18 Grip

Dual H640P Huion tablets used with VRK (Virtual Kneeboard ) software

Gametrix JetSeat with SimShaker

DOF Reality P6, 6 axis Motion Platform

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 3/17/2022 at 10:06 PM, Sabre_Ewan said:

the in game IPD setting alters the scale. if you have scaling issues, try changing that. it's nothing to do with actual IPD, the name is misleading

edit: I scrolled down a bit in the thread and didn't see anyone else mention it. obviously I should have looked further

It can be misleading but it refers to the inter pupillary distance of the eyes of the pilot in the game. Basically if the pilot is Godzilla with 5 meters between its eyes then the world would really look small as that distance and view is then translated to your natural manually selected IPD from the headset. 
The problem with adjusting that instead of the model or the view points (IPDs) for specific model by the game dev is that every plane is affected by that setting so is best not to touch it.

Edited by zaelu
  • Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

18 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

This reflection is a thing that annoys me the most in VR. It isn't there in 2D or at least not that pronounced.
In VR it's like i always have a little mirror in the lower right corner of my right eye.

I wish there was a way to make the monocle closer to the face.  moving the head position moves it with the helmet/monocle/NVG together.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

9 hours ago, Supmua said:

, but you will need to make sure that your CPU has as little overhead as possible (i.e. don't run stuff in the background that would eat up CPU cycle)

This is so important for dcs generally and I have had really noticable improvents just trimming the fat off my PC. If you aren't using it don't run it! Onedrive, Dropbox are common culprits and also a biggie for me was adobe. They seem to run loads of background stuff, creative cloud and a bundle of services on the start up. Get rid of them all. Not needed. Adobe will still work just fine! 

I'm also running with no hyper threading this seemed to reduce stutters for me and improve consistency although it has been a while since I switched it back on. 

My 2 pence worth.

Had a very quick fly around last night, I’m using a 3090, 5900X and 32gb RAM and a G2.

First off, WOW! It’s amazing to be in that cockpit. I was worried about the monocle thingy (sorry i have yet to learn Apache language) feeling awkward and uncomfortable, I have the JHMCS in the jets rendered n both eyes as I find just one eye uncomfortable. But in this it just feels natural, not to mention very very cool.

The attention to detail is next level! Little bits and bobs in the cockpit moving and vibrating gives a real sense of place, can’t wait for it to work with the Simshaker Jetpad.

It’s really good fun being in a helicopter in VR down low, but oh boy does it feel slow when you gain any altitude. I mean it makes the A10 feel like an F16 😉 But that’s the nature of the beast.

Performance wise I find it fine for a fly around an empty Black Sea map but honestly beyond that I think performance is a bit to low for me right now. Flew over a city on the Syria map and it wasn’t a pleasant experience to be honest, and I haven’t had the flir on yet. Oh and for reference I regularly tool about in the F14 and I find the Apache considerably more demanding on the hardware, but I’m sure performance will improve over time. Until then it’s just cool to know I have it in the hanger. 

I’m frankly amazed at how cool it is to sit in the cockpit of EDs AH-64. Congratulations and Thank you ED, you’ve some how managed to out do yourselves yet again, Fantastic work! 

Ps. Could we have a special option to enable a Royal Marine to be strapped to the wing? 😁

Edited by Digitalvole
  • Like 2

I'm really enjoying the module, I think considering that this is early access I can't wait to see it in 6-12months. 

Only a couple of things that as a VR user I think could be useful:

• George target list - Move the target list when using George toward the top where the helper is, that way I wouldn't have to move my eyes from the top to the bottom of the screen, this can get tiring in VR as it's your eyes opposed to your head moving.
  • UI elements position - Choosing the position of UI elements
  • Elevation of HMD - Feels like I'm constantly looking up, would be nice to bring it into the centre of my view
  • Boresighting - I can't currently position the boresight and see the button to click, because of the way the mouse has to stay within the constrains of the view, I can't hold it in place whilst I line it up and then click.
  • Controls for functions not yet modelled - It would be handy if controls that relate to parts of the module not currently modelled were marked in the bindings
  • Like 2

Best cockpit in VR that I have whether DCS or XP.  ED absolutely hit a home run on that end of things.  The realism in VR is outstanding and well worth the wait we endured.  Having a couple issues with bindings to my HOTAS (X56 Saitek/Logitech).  At wanted to do the startup manually with depressing the finger locks on the power levers and I couldn't get those to work with the keyboard or HOTAS, This led to the discovery of a couple other bindings that never seemed to work and I'm still trying to sort that out.  I've tried with the software for the HOTAS and without.  Without, DCS recognizes my button assignments under the Apache and saves them but when I'm in a mission they just don't work.  Getting decent frame rates on Caucasus map but Marianas map brings in the stutters and even freezes.  It only appears to freeze up for a couple seconds randomly after I've been in/out of the map a few times while changing things.  Anyway, that's all for now but wow is this bird nice!!

12 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

What kind of missions are you flying that result in those frame rates? i.e. how many units? Anything complicated kills my fps.

Anything complicated with too many units in the mission will kill your fps. This has always be the same with every module in VR. So in my case, I run simple missions in general with a decent amount of enemy units (nothing too crazy). This problem of too many units on the battlefield is here for ages because of the cpu-bottleneck (single/dual-threaded DCS engine).

• Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D // 64 GB RAM // RTX 4090 // Quest Pro // Quest 3

2 hours ago, Zap921 said:

Best cockpit in VR that I have whether DCS or XP.  ED absolutely hit a home run on that end of things.  The realism in VR is outstanding and well worth the wait we endured.  Having a couple issues with bindings to my HOTAS (X56 Saitek/Logitech).  At wanted to do the startup manually with depressing the finger locks on the power levers and I couldn't get those to work with the keyboard or HOTAS, This led to the discovery of a couple other bindings that never seemed to work and I'm still trying to sort that out.  I've tried with the software for the HOTAS and without.  Without, DCS recognizes my button assignments under the Apache and saves them but when I'm in a mission they just don't work.  Getting decent frame rates on Caucasus map but Marianas map brings in the stutters and even freezes.  It only appears to freeze up for a couple seconds randomly after I've been in/out of the map a few times while changing things.  Anyway, that's all for now but wow is this bird nice!!

Mappings... Make sure your not mapping as pilot(default when entering setup) when you're in the cpg seat.

Been there. Done that.

Edited by Sr.
  • Like 1

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

1 hour ago, Tepnox said:

Anything complicated with too many units in the mission will kill your fps. This has always be the same with every module in VR. So in my case, I run simple missions in general with a decent amount of enemy units (nothing too crazy). This problem of too many units on the battlefield is here for ages because of the cpu-bottleneck (single/dual-threaded DCS engine).

Yeah, you're absolutely right about that. I can get pretty decent performance in super-simple scenarios. Apply it to Liberation or the like, and we're back to 20 fps with stutters.

3 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Mappings... Make sure your not mapping as pilot(default when entering setup) when your in the cpg seat.

Been there. Done that.

Thanks, but haven't even got to the CPG seat yet but that is sure a good point.  I'll monkey around with it some more today, let me know if you can get those animated power lever locks to work if you get a chance.  

19 minutes ago, Zap921 said:

Thanks, but haven't even got to the CPG seat yet but that is sure a good point.  I'll monkey around with it some more today, let me know if you can get those animated power lever locks to work if you get a chance.  

I have them mapped to switches on my X56 throttle base + modifier button.

Then un-split my throttle to use the left half as collective, the right half as power lever/both.

Make sure whichever you're using for them are fully back position pior to startup procedure.

Edited by Sr.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

--Arthur C Clark

18 hours ago, davidrbarnette said:

Would those of you getting good performance in VR mind posting your specs and settings?

Sure: see my signature. It runs buttery smooth for me, except when I turn on the PNVS: the overlay has very low framerate.

3 hours ago, BeerNfrites said:

Elevation of HMD - Feels like I'm constantly looking up, would be nice to bring it into the centre of my view

I don't have a problem with that. Perhaps it's due do the "force IPD" setting? I leave that disabled, and it looks just perfect to me.

3 hours ago, BeerNfrites said:

I can't hold it in place whilst I line it up and then click.

You could map the Cursor ENTER binding, and use that. Just make sure to move the cursor over the correct OSB.

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

19 minutes ago, Sr. said:

I have them mapped to switches on my X56 throttle base + modifier button.

Then un-split my throttle to use the left half as collective, the right half as power lever/both.

Make sure whichever you're using for them are fully back position pior to startup procedure.

Nice! I take it your not using the Logi Software, so what is the modifier button?

3 minutes ago, Zap921 said:

Nice! I take it your not using the Logi Software, so what is the modifier button? 

Still installed, but I no longer use it.

I use the lower pinky button on my stick as a modifier.

--Arthur C Clark

30 minutes ago, Sr. said:

Still installed, but I no longer use it.

I use the lower pinky button on my stick as a modifier.

Great idea, that'll definitely eliminate having to use the software, which I'll probably uninstall then.  👍

28 minutes ago, Zap921 said:

Great idea, that'll definitely eliminate having to use the software, which I'll probably uninstall then.  👍

You may at least need the drivers.

I've used this method in the past to make some of the switches 3 position. Was very handy then in the A-10CII

Edited by Sr.
  • Like 1

--Arthur C Clark

16 hours ago, Tepnox said:

image.png

Rift S with 1.5 Supersampling @ 40 fps. Rig specs see signature.

No reason to run "Ultra" visibility range if you are flying a helo. Drop that down to med and you'd prob push 60 fps. Lol

Edited by JG27_Arklight
  • Like 2

Ark

------------------

Windows 10 Pro x64

9900K @ 5ghz

Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390

32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB CAS 14

EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra XC2

256gb Samsung 869 Pro (Boot Drive)

1TB - Samsung 970 EVO Plus

Seasoninc 1000w Titanium Ultra PSU

34" ASUS PG348

6 hours ago, zaelu said:

I wish there was a way to make the monocle closer to the face.  moving the head position moves it with the helmet/monocle/NVG together.

Wow mine seems pretty close already. Guess maybe it is headset dependent.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

7 minutes ago, Sl1ck said:

Question for the chaps running G2's and a 3080ti / 3090.

What resolution multipliers / res per eye are you running?

I've had to drop my settings a little with the Apache vs F-16/FA-18/A-10.

1.0 PD in DCS and 100% Resolution in Steam VR

I have the same performance in the apache as in the hind, dunno about F-16 / FA-18 tho

Edited by Nick_17

1)  Asus ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi D4 / i9 13900K @ 5,5 Ghz / Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 4090 / 2 x 4 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 2 x 1 TB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / Meta Quest Pro

2)  Asus ROG Strix Z490-E Gaming / i9 10900K @ 4,9 Ghz / G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB DDR4 RAM @ 3200 Mhz / Asus ROG Strix RTX 3090 / 1 TB SSD Samsung 870 Evo / 500 GB M.2 SSD Samsung 980 Pro / HP Reverb G2

1 hour ago, dburne said:

Wow mine seems pretty close already. Guess maybe it is headset dependent.

In most pictures I can see pilots have the monocle as close as a normal glasses only tilted because it needs to reflect the projected images. I wear glasses myself and the frame is visible only if I look for it and normally I cannot distinguish the whole shape of the eye piece, I need to scan around to quickly build a picture of a complete monocle/eye piece. But in game not only that the whole frame of the monocle is visible but a lot of space is around it which translates for it to be almost on the tip of the nose. 
Second picture shows how my view is projected in my Quest2 (don't worry about the fps... me strong stomach 😄 )
It's very cool for now as it is done but maybe with a mod it can be brought closer. Maybe a slider in special options like we have for the Ka50 HMD position.

63896_O.jpg

aaaqweee.jpg

Edited by zaelu

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]