AH-64D VR

Zap921

On 4/22/2022 at 6:44 AM, Fuggzy said:

p.s. if nothing else, I wish there was a slider in the VR config tab in DCS that said "VR Head Tracking Smoothing ____________"  that simply means I can find a value where when I am consciously holding my physical head still like a normal person, my  IHAADS symbology is also completely still.  And it's not interference  or signal or lag jitter, it's actually picking up my very tiny, very normal movements as if the tracking is absolutely lock-step and too perfect.  Why is this a problem for me?  Because it breaks VR for me in the Apache.  In Viper I use HMCS for 1 thing - fast n easy SPIs.  I haven't felt like I *need* HMCS in Viper, it's optional.  With Apache, can anyone imagine hearing an Apache pilot say "Nah, I'm good without it I go old school".  No.  Apache w/ IHAADS *is* the devastating weapon, the pioneer of everyone else's If-Looks-Could-Kill system.  What's happening is that even though yes, it's tracking me exquisitely, I can't use the IHAADS to gun with even as CPG, because while I'm sitting here as still as I can, that little circle dot in the center is everywhere EXCEPT that tank in 360 degrees because I'm not a statue made of stone, I'm a man who breathes.  I know the gun is not a precision gun by any means to begin with, that is NOT what i'm talking about.  Let's say all I want to do is mark a point out on the terrain with a click, I can get close where I really want it but rarely right on it, it's a matter of the click registering fast enough.

This noise filtering applied for head tracking (only for HMD symbology) would be a key for all HMDs in DCS, if other techniques can't be used. It's so important, that you should make a standalone thread in the VR bugs just for this. I asked @BIGNEWY in my previous answer but he didn't replied. IMHO this issue needs further development to eliminate completely.

• PC: 10700K | Gigabyte Z490 | Palit 3090 GamingPro | 32GB | Win10
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

41 minutes ago, St4rgun said:

This noise filtering applied for head tracking (only for HMD symbology) would be a key for all HMDs in DCS, if other techniques can't be used. It's so important, that you should make a standalone thread in the VR bugs just for this. I asked @BIGNEWY in my previous answer but he didn't replied. IMHO this issue needs further development to eliminate completely.

I haven't personally noticed any issue. That could be down to my (lack of) sensitivity although I am normally very aware of any lag or jitters caused by framerate or poor tracking. Which makes me wonder if it is down to individual headsets or tracking environments?

How do you find the IHADSS cursor in comparison to the VR cursor for interacting with the cockpit? I am comfortable with holding me head still enough to easily interact with controls with never feeling it is too sensitive to my movements. Using the IHADSS cursor feels much the same to me.

Some kind of noise filtering or deadzone option for movement would seem a very good solution as suggested.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

1 hour ago, Baldrick33 said:

I haven't personally noticed any issue. That could be down to my (lack of) sensitivity although I am normally very aware of any lag or jitters caused by framerate or poor tracking. Which makes me wonder if it is down to individual headsets or tracking environments?

How do you find the IHADSS cursor in comparison to the VR cursor for interacting with the cockpit? I am comfortable with holding me head still enough to easily interact with controls with never feeling it is too sensitive to my movements. Using the IHADSS cursor feels much the same to me.

Some kind of noise filtering or deadzone option for movement would seem a very good solution as suggested.

I'm using Reverb G2.

The head tracking is so precise, that even my pulse can move the crosshairs and I can assure you, I can hold my head very stable. If someone only want to "use" the crosshairs then it's fine, but as long as you are starting to be aware of this problem and trying to observe these fine details then it will be obvious that something is basically wrong with the HMD crosshairs movement (including A-10, F-16, F/A-18 and the Apache). IMHO it needs to be corrected.

The same goes with the mouse VR crosshairs: because the VR cursor is linked to your head so it also moves this way. The slightest movement (pulse) can jitter it around while trying to fight it with the mouse. It's more emphasized in the Apache when typing a lot of data on the keyboard.

I think the deadzone solution is not good, because sometimes you want to move the crosshairs precisely, so a deadzone would introduce some artificial lag. Filtering the jitter of the HMDs head tracker sensor raw data is the solution to go. But these all should be applied only to HMD symbology and VR cursor, in every other aspect the head tracking is perfect now.

Edited by St4rgun
  • HMD: HP Reverb G2 | OpenXR @ 120% | OpenXR Toolkit: exposure, brightness, saturation | DCS 2.9: DLAA with Sharpening 0.5 (no upscaling)
  • Controllers: VKB Gunfighter MkIII base & 200 mm curved extension center mounted + TM F16 Grip / MCG Pro Grip | TM TFRP

26 minutes ago, St4rgun said:

I'm using Reverb G2.

The head tracking is so precise, that even my pulse can move the crosshairs and I can assure you, I can hold my head very stable. If someone only want to "use" the crosshairs then it's fine, but as long as you are starting to be aware of this problem and trying to observe these fine details then it will be obvious that something is basically wrong with the HMD crosshairs movement (including A-10, F-16, F/A-18 and the Apache). IMHO it needs to be corrected.

The same goes with the mouse VR crosshairs: because the VR cursor is linked to your head so it also moves this way. The slightest movement (pulse) can jitter it around while trying to fight it with the mouse. It's more emphasized in the Apache when typing a lot of data on the keyboard.

I think the deadzone solution is not good, because sometimes you want to move the crosshairs precisely, so a deadzone would introduce some artificial lag. Filtering the jitter of the HMDs head tracker sensor raw data is the solution to go. But these all should be applied only to HMD symbology and VR cursor, in every other aspect the head tracking is perfect now.

Reverb G1 here.

Before this thread I think I was filtering out the jitter in my head 🙂

I just tried the Apache and bought up the VR cursor next to the IHADSS one. Both jittered equally.

I agree about deadzone, thinking about it yes it would add an annoying lag.

AMD 5800X3D · MSI 4080 · Asus ROG Strix B550 Gaming  · HP Reverb Pro · 1Tb M.2 NVMe, 32Gb Corsair Vengence 3600MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · VIRPIL T-50CM3 Base, Alpha Prime R. VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Base. JetSeat

All right, I'll make a separate topic then.