DCS: F-14 Patch Overview - New Autopilot & MP Seat Switching

Cobra847

1 minute ago, XCNuse said:

No mention of FLIR here either; is it safe to assume the updated FLIR engine did not make it to the F14 this patch?

Correct, we had too little time to spend on it and wanted to avoid breaking something by rushing it; but we're confident we'll get it migrated quickly.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Nicholas Dackard

Founder & Lead Artist

Heatblur Simulations

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

7 minutes ago, tangofrown said:

Will the AI Pilot be able to take off from the carrier and such? Or is it just like before, you can only tell him to go headings, etc

Iceman remains as was, and take offs and landings likely will never be possible. It's not a feature that was intended for him at any point, as it would mean to write a distinct AI for him, which is far beyond its intention and the scope of what is currently possible time-wise. Please remember, Iceman was never an intended feature in the first place.

• Like 4

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

You can now switch between pilot and RIO seat online, just as in Singleplayer!

OH-MY-GOSH !!!

Was waiting for it even before the Tomcat release !

Amazing !

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Intel I7 8700K / RTX 3080 / 32Go DDR4 PC21300 G.Skill Ripjaws V / MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold - 1000W / Noctua NH-D14 / Acer XB270HUDbmiprz 27" G-synch 144Hz / SSD Samsung 860EVO 250Go + 1To / Cooler Master HAF X / Warthog+VPC WarBRD / Thrustmaster TPR / Track-IR v5 + Track Clip Pro / Windows 11 64bits.

Hi, congratulations for the patch. How can I switch seats in multiplayer? I joined to a F-14B slot in a multiplayer mission, pilot position. When in cockpit I pressed "2" but nothing happens. Is there some trick?

Thanks.

Edited by splash
  • Like 1

Did a fix for the AOA indexer lighting "keybind" make the cut. Noticed this the other day when I thought it was busted after starting at dawn and landing in late morning.

I'm also curious when we'll see things like the hand pump and e-flaps / fire bottle get implimented. Are these on the radar at all?

1 hour ago, splash said:

Hi, congratulations for the patch. How can I switch seats in multiplayer? I joined to a F-14B slot in a multiplayer mission, pilot position. When in cockpit I pressed "2" but nothing happens. Is there some trick?

Thanks.

Reguarding the seat switching. I had noticed it working for me in the past if the "player seat lock" setting was disabled in the ME. Not sure if this is connected to the issue, but might try it.

Edited by RodWan

Handpump functionality has been implemented a while ago. Emergency flaps have been there from the start (i.e. outboars spoiler module talking over in case of comb pressure loss). If you mean the emergency functions of the flap handle, emer dn has no function while emer up has the same function as normal up but overrides any lockouts (little use in DCS IMO). 

The fire bottles supposedly work but I havent tested those. A fix for the AoA brightness thumbwheel would certainly be nice though 

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

SMALL PSA everyone:

Unfortunately the MP seat switching did not get included properly during the upload, which means it will not be available until the next hotfix/patch. Our apologies for that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

1 hour ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

Why does this keep happening every major patch recently? Is no one testing the release build?

Imagine ED: Sorry, Apache somehow did not make it this patch 🤣

• Like 1

🖥️ Win10 i7-10700KF 32GB RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M HOTAS   ✈️ FC3, F-14A/B, F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR, PG, Syria

2 hours ago, Gypsy 1-1 said:

Why does this keep happening every major patch recently? Is no one testing the release build?

It does not happen every major patch, but if you have to know, part of the networking broke down for everyone. Has nothing to do with testing release builds...

• Like 1

Heatblur Simulations

I was just coming on this morning to ask about the new autopilot switching as it confused me last night so thank you.  Question,  now that we flick the autopilot on first then select the appropriate switch is the autopilot already aiding attitude, bank etc or does it wait until the next switch is selected before working?

44 minutes ago, Indianajon said:

I was just coming on this morning to ask about the new autopilot switching as it confused me last night so thank you.  Question,  now that we flick the autopilot on first then select the appropriate switch is the autopilot already aiding attitude, bank etc or does it wait until the next switch is selected before working?

The moment you flip autopilot engage switch to engage you are in attitude hold mode of the autopilot (best done when you are level and trimmed), then you can set whatever autopilot mode switches you want and press AP ref button to engage the autopilot modes. Note that attitude hold mode does not require AP ref press to engage, other modes do.

• Thanks 2

• Cobra847 unpinned this topic
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/17/2022 at 6:42 PM, Cobra847 said:

PD-STT MLC Filter Removed

We’ve removed the MLC Filter from the PD-STT submode. While digging deeper and researching further, we realised that the MLC is designed to be used in PD search modes, where doppler filters are used, and thus not used in PD-STT, as it uses the velocity tracker instead. 

The PD-search modes use doppler filters to determine target speed, so what doppler filter the echo matches is represented with a square brick on the display. In PD-STT the radar instead has a velocity tracker that looks for target returns within a rate gate centred around the target speed. This means that ultimately PD-STT locks should be more stable now and less prone to losing lock, as is now more congruent with the real radar and systems.

This is actually a very cool technique that nearly all PD radars use. 

Range is ambiguous in PD radar (HPRF). So range is resolved via other means (like FMR). However, when a track is initiated, typically the PD radar will

1. Acquire the target (momentary action)
  2. Once acquired, perform a range resolve (measure the targets true range) (momentary action)
  3. Finally, it will continuously track the target in doppler only (without resolving range). It assumes target range based on the detected doppler motion from the point found in step #2. 

ie During track, the radar will know the targets range without having to measure it.

• Like 1

On 4/23/2022 at 12:39 PM, FigPucker said:

Good job with the RADAR improvements.

When can we expect some implementation of ECM effects on the AN/AWG-9?

It was shared in the last newsletter.

Heatblur Simulations will deliver an update to DCS: F-14 Tomcat in the next Open Beta. “Work continues with major improvements and additions. These range from visual features such as the new cockpit pilot models to some of the remaining key features including advanced jamming effects on the radar and associated displays”.
 - Heatblur Simulations

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

I'm having a little trouble with the new AP functions. On paper they make sense to me, but in the cockpit they aren't quite behaving the same, at least not ALT and HDG hold.

I engage HDG and ALT hold, engage AP switch, press altitude reference button. So far so good. Except two issues I've experienced:

1. With asymetric load (LANTIRN) the HDG hold won't hold, and I slowly yaw.

2. After disengaging the AP (AP switch off, ALT and HDG hold switches automatically disengage), the roll axis behaves normally but the pitch axis seems to still be stuck in ALT hold. I have to excessively move the stick to "break" out of ALT hold even after disengaging it (and the AP completely).

Is it something I'm doing wrong, or are those kinks that will be ironed out?

I am wondering that will the patch address the throttle can't be forward after the auto throttle enabled?

20220428220526_1.jpg

Thanks.

Dell XPS 9730, i9-13900H, DDR5 64GB, Discrete GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080, 1+2TB M.2 SSD, TM HOTAS Warthog/TPR, TKIR5/TrackClipPro, Win 11 Pro