F-14 Tomcat Patch March 17th 2022 Feedback Thread

IronMike

19 minutes ago, PatientMental76 said:

I too have the broken trim problem, its rolls horribly to the left when starting from runway or it does it random after take off! Also AP is not working my beloved Tomcat is completely busted & unflyable!

This bug has been fixed internally, but is unrelated to Doormouse's report. If you spawn hot or cold from ground, cycle AP engage on/off before take off and reset both pitch and roll trim to neutral as a workaround in the meantime. Our apologies for that and thank you for reporting it.

Edited by IronMike

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

@DoorMouse made this quick video so you can compare (and anyone else who wants to have just a short overview of dos and don'ts can take a looksy, too).

Note please, this is not a comprehensive tutorial.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:40 AM, _DK_ said:

Could someone cross check for me; I believe the new IR rendering update from this patch may have inverted BHOT and WHOT for the LANTIRN pod.

BHOT - Area track as an Apache takes off from a FARP
yNDrlSr.png

WHOT - Point track on a column of tanks
zXRQdtr.png

Yes I can confirm.

On 3/17/2022 at 10:08 PM, Callsign JoNay said:

Iceman seems more busted than usual.

-Absolute North and South seem fine, but his understanding of East and West is backwards.

-Absolute angels 10 and 15 seem bugged and non responsive.

-Can't swem to get any speed requests to work.

I can confirm that Iceman seems to be completely broken since he neither flies the headings nor the altitude I'm commanding him to fly.

1 minute ago, Stickler said:

I can confirm that Iceman seems to be completely broken since he neither flies the headings nor the altitude I'm commanding him to fly.

Thank you, we're looking into it as we speak. Funnily enough he did work during our tests, but something must have gone awry along the way. We should have a fix by the next patch.

Heatblur Simulations

22 hours ago, DoorMouse said:

Please do not shoot the messenger but I've encountered a number of issues which persist or are new in even the first half hour of flying today in this patch:

• TWSA  Weighting - Is, I hate to say it.... almost worse.  It does now move the radar cone FASTER to the target but it seems even more confused about what the weighting is.  For what its worth - I have yet to have a TMA be inadvertently slewed outside of the radar cone by TWSA. 
  •  

Ill work on continuing to compile videos and isolate causes of issues

A couple of hours this evening, i can confirm, the weighting is even worse. No track, as this was a MP server, but a screenshot is attached bellow. Contacts inside 30 miles are the original tracks. Port tracks are hostile, starboard track is friendly. TWS keeps flipping between the two. Target at 40 pops up, another friendly. The TWS hops to it immediately despite a missile bein on the way to hostiles. Result, lost track and the missile got trashed. Ended up with a P-STT launch at 7 miles. Ping was 64, should there shouldn't be desynch issue. 

Another report on the trim bug, it happens on carriers as well. Same server. Syria map. Dropped frames on final over Beirut, DCS froze, the next thing i know i am burning over some bushes. I click fly again, and my F-14A starts hot on the CAT. I rearm, launch and just after launch my plane enters a hard roll, took some extreme trimming to level the wings. Almost crashed. 

DCS 2022-03-19 23-13-16.png

• Like 2

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

Runway start sometimes results in aircraft entering rapid roll to the right or left (I've experienced both - seems random), with a continuous un-commanded input, aircraft barely controllable.  

Seems that cycling Autopilot Engage then Disengage (in flight or with weight on wheels) resets the un-commanded control deflection.  

Attached images taken on Cat before launch.

Note - Its not trim, because (i) the control input is greater than the maximum trim deflection (and cannot be fully re-centred with trim), and (ii) cycling the Autopilot on/off resets it with any trim deflection you've already applied.

A controls full/free check doesn't reset the control input either, only Autopilot on then off seems to correct this.

In flight however, so far the autopilot seems to behave well.  So nice job!   I'd much prefer having a working autopilot and one extra check to do before take-off.    (I digress, but....when I flew twin engines, sometimes an aircraft would be left with full left or right trim deflection because someone the day before had been practicing single engine work and had forgotten to reset it.....they'd land on one engine with full trim deflection...you'd spot it on the walk around, or you'd spot it on a similar cockpit gauge.... well, hopefully you'd spot it...).

Thanks for the hard work.

And I too miss jester 😞 

RunwayStart.png

RunwayAutopilotEngage.png

Edited by Clunk1001

23 minutes ago, Hornet 64 said:

Hi everyone I'm not a flight expert like all of you but I wanted to let you know that after the update I can't keep F14 stable after taking off from an aircraft carrier.  you turn left or right, there were no problems before.

Noticed this as well; I put a post into the Bug Report section on the subject.

Rig: i9 10900KF @5.3GHz | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz | ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 3090 24GB OC | ASUS Maximus XII Formula | 2x 2TB Intel SSD6 NVMe M.2 | VKB F-14CG on Gunfighter III Base | TM Warthog HOTAS | TM Rudder Pedals | HP Reverb G2

Hangar: FC3 | F-86F | F-4E [Pre-Ordered] | F-5E | F-14A/B | F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | Mirage 2000C | JF-17 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19P | MiG-21bis | AJS-37 | AV-8B | L39 | C-101 | A-10C/CII | Yak-52 | P-51D | P-47D | Fw 190 A-8/D-9 | Bf 109 | Spitfire | I-16 | UH-1 Huey

The roll on take off bug is fixed internally. The AP gets accidentally initialised on ground spawn. We do that else for air starts (fake in the background), so that your plane does not enter an immediate dive upon spawn, ofc on the ground that should not be on. The workaround is to cycle AP engage on/off - hope that helps and our apologies for this oversight.

Edited by IronMike
  • Like 3

Heatblur Simulations

For Heatblur friends, when making changes such as taking out the jester animation on the menu, or other similar change please be optional on the menu because I didn't like the idea much either, even though these are just details

Edited by fghidalg

7 minutes ago, fghidalg said:

For Heatblur friends, when making changes such as taking out the jester animation on the menu, or other similar change please be optional on the menu because I didn't like the idea much either, even though these are just details

What makes you think it's intentional?

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

Also noticing odd behaviour in flight when disengaging autopilot.  Any roll input during disengage seem to result in opposite un-commanded control input.  i.e. if your controls aren't centred when disengaging autopilot the aircraft can become unflyable due to un-commanded control input.  Only way to remove un-commanded input is to centre stick and cycle autopilot.

46 minutes ago, Clunk1001 said:

Also noticing odd behaviour in flight when disengaging autopilot.  Any roll input during disengage seem to result in opposite un-commanded control input.  i.e. if your controls aren't centred when disengaging autopilot the aircraft can become unflyable due to un-commanded control input.  Only way to remove un-commanded input is to centre stick and cycle autopilot.

Yeah, same. Heatblur mentioned in the patch notes that realistic emergent behavior can result from improper use of the AP, but if you bring up the inputs overlay you can see the trim isn't being affected, and if you try to trim out the emergent roll behavior it leaves you with an uncentered trim setting in the input overlay. The only way to correct the un-commanded roll it is AP on/off again, which is easy to do, but doesn't seem logical.

3 minutes ago, Callsign JoNay said:

Yeah, same. Heatblur mentioned in the patch notes that realistic emergent behavior can result from improper use of the AP, but if you bring up the inputs overlay you can see the trim isn't being affected, and if you try to trim out the emergent roll behavior it leaves you with an uncentered trim setting in the input overlay. The only way to correct the un-commanded roll it is AP on/off again, which is easy to do, but doesn't seem logical.

This is definitely not ‘realistic’.  Any CWS is designed to have pilot input, and disengaging CWS definitely should not leave you with un-commanded inputs and an uncontrollable aircraft….regardless of how the pilot uses it.

I disengaged autopilot when a mig popped up, my aircraft ended up with uncontrollable right roll.  I died attempting to correct it.

I’m afraid we’re back to an unusable autopilot. 

On 3/22/2022 at 9:22 AM, Clunk1001 said:

This is definitely not ‘realistic’.  Any CWS is designed to have pilot input, and disengaging CWS definitely should not leave you with un-commanded inputs and an uncontrollable aircraft….regardless of how the pilot uses it.

I disengaged autopilot when a mig popped up, my aircraft ended up with uncontrollable right roll.  I died attempting to correct it.

I’m afraid we’re back to an unusable autopilot. 

did you try doing this?

On 3/19/2022 at 3:59 AM, IronMike said:

This bug has been fixed internally, but is unrelated to Doormouse's report. If you spawn hot or cold from ground, cycle AP engage on/off before take off and reset both pitch and roll trim to neutral as a workaround in the meantime. Our apologies for that and thank you for reporting it.

Edited by Q3ark

2 hours ago, Q3ark said:

did you try doing this?

Yeah, on the deck that works fine. And in the air it works too.  But it seems to require complete dead stick for autopilot release otherwise you end up with un-commanded roll.  In flight it’s too easy to disengage with a bit of control input applied - usually I’ll have already started my manoeuvre and will simultaneously disengage autopilot…and thats when it all goes wrong.
For me, it’s now safer to just not use the autopilot at all.

2 minutes ago, PatientMental76 said:

Is there anyway to get the previous patch before this new one?

Yes. For Standalone, you can run the updater.exe in command line with the version you want. 

But IMHO the best way is to do it with this app, you'll never look back. 

For Steam I have no clue.