Stable version release?

viperBAT46 DTF46

Just now, viperBAT46 DTF46 said:

Stable release for pre-purchased module? Is the "open beta" crowd getting first?

Always. That's just how it is. Needs some testing. 

You know you can have both installed, if you have the disk space? It will also be faster updating the other installation. 

You can also share the Saved Games folders so they'll always be in sync. 

Cheers! 

This is the Way! (Unfortunately)

• Like 1

VR Flight Guy in PJ Pants -- this is how I fly. We do not fly at treetop height, we fly between trees(TM)

YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCc9BDi-STaqgWsjNiHbW0fA

My simple missions: https://forum.dcs.world/topic/284071-vr-flight-guy-in-pj-pants-simple-missions/

NSRI - National Strategy Research Institution, a fictional organisation based on wordplay of Strategic Naval Research Institution (SNRI), a fictional institution appears in Mobile Suit Gundam UC timeline.

14 minutes ago, viperBAT46 DTF46 said:

Upsetting at best. I don't have the internet speed nor the ssd space for that.. wait I will.

you can easily convert your stable to openbeta, using the same space as current. The download shouldnt be too large, as most files are unchanged between both versions.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

17 minutes ago, viperBAT46 DTF46 said:

Upsetting at best. I don't have the internet speed nor the ssd space for that.. wait I will.

Even when the Apache is released for stable, it'll still be in early access state, with features still WIP. So if you're ok with that (which basically also means testing an unfinished product), why not just move over to Open Beta version entirely?

OB version really ain't bad at all. At least not in my perspective

System specs:

i7-8700K @stock speed - GTX 1080TI @ stock speed - AsRock Extreme4 Z370 - 32GB DDR4 @3GHz- 500GB SSD - 2TB nvme - 650W PSU

HP Reverb G1 v2 - Saitek Pro pedals - TM Warthog HOTAS - TM F/A-18 Grip - TM Cougar HOTAS (NN-Dan mod) & (throttle standalone mod) - VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus with ALPHA-L grip - Pointctrl & aux banks <-- must have for VR users!! - Andre's SimShaker Jetpad - Fully adjustable DIY playseat - VA+VAICOM

~ That nuke might not have been the best of ideas, Sir... the enemy is furious ~ GUMMBAH

9 minutes ago, sirrah said:

why not just move over to Open Beta?

Upsetting at best. I don't have the internet speed nor the ssd space for that.. wait I will.

17 minutes ago, Rudel_chw said:

you can easily convert your stable to openbeta, using the same space as current. The download shouldnt be too large, as most files are unchanged between both versions.

This I'm looking at.. but I do not understand it fully. Risky for me.

3 minutes ago, viperBAT46 DTF46 said:

there are two ways of doing it: many like to use Skatezilla’s utility:

I prefer to use the Windows command prompt, as described here:

I know that the thread seems intimidating, but it is actually a pretty simple process: open a command prompt in admin mode, locate the dcs/bin folder and run the command:

DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

4 minutes ago, viperBAT46 DTF46 said:

Upsetting at best. I don't have the internet speed nor the ssd space for that.. wait I will.

It's pretty straight forward.  Take a look at your DCS icon used to start DCS... right click and select Properties.  In the "Target:" section, you should see something like this:

"D:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe"

Your path may differ, and it may show "DCS World" instead of "DCS World OpenBeta" in the path, but it doesn't matter.  The key is that the program you are running is called "DCS_updater.exe".  This program checks to see if there are any updates, and prompts you, otherwise it then calls DCS.exe to start DCS.

All you need to do is:

1) Make a copy of your normal DCS icon/shortcut, call it "DCS update to Open Beta" or some such

2) Right click on this new shortcut, and click Properties

3) In the "Target:" section, change (using my path example above) it to the following:

"D:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update @openbeta

This will update DCS to the latest Open Beta.  You can then use your original DCS icon/shortcut (the one with just "DCS_updater.exe"), and it will run DCS as per normal, but now it's Open Beta.

Note: If you want to change your DCS back to stable, you can create yet another copy of the DCS icon/shortcut (like I described above), but change the "Target:" to the following (again, using my path example):

"D:\Program Files\Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\bin\DCS_updater.exe" update @release

If this seems too complicated, you can always use Skatezilla’s utility as suggested by Rudel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, viperBAT46 DTF46 said:

Switching your stable install to open beta will consume a marginal ammount of disc space compared to the update you need to download to get the Apache.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rudel_chw said:

there are two ways of doing it: many like to use Skatezilla’s utility:

I prefer to use the Windows command prompt, as described here:

I know that the thread seems intimidating, but it is actually a pretty simple process: open a command prompt in admin mode, locate the dcs/bin folder and run the command:

DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta

Thank you for this perfect suggestion! I was impressed by how simple it was.. around 40gb download, and I'm flying the Apache! Thank you again!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, viperBAT46 DTF46 said:

Thank you for this perfect suggestion! I was impressed by how simple it was.. around 40gb download, and I'm flying the Apache! Thank you again!

I’m glad 🙂 … did you use the utility or the command line?